Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Weird poo poo for the volvo gods. Anti-ping axle bolts for the front axles. New on the right, took about 15 minutes total to install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Where do those bolt to/from? I don't remember what volvo axles look like and most just use a big 'ol nut and circlip on the trans side.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suburban Dad posted:

Where do those bolt to/from? I don't remember what volvo axles look like and most just use a big 'ol nut and circlip on the trans side.

These are the outside axle bolts, behind the wheel center cap.

The procedure is:
Remove wheel
Remove axle bolt
Reinstall new bolt loosely
Reinstall wheel without center cap and torque down
Torque axle bolt to 25lb-ft + 90°
Reinstall center cap

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Drained and resoldered my fuel sender float. So far it's holding.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Brake update day! I've been running into heat issues (pad deposits and/or high pad wear rates on Carbotech XP10s or Gloc R12, no noticeable fade or fluid issues) tracking my Chevrolet SS, so I decided to bump up to an option higher in the GM parts bin. And also control arm scoops from a 997 GT3, because at $40ish shipped they're cheaper than figuring out a DIY option.

Installed:
plastic air scoops that may solve the cooling problem by themselves, but I'm too impatient to not do this all at once
6-piston Brembo calipers from a C7 Z06, same general thing as a CTS-V or various Camaro or Hellcat, but with vented pistons that reportedly reduce fluid temp by 70F or so
Gloc R12 pads, with GS1s to install for street duty. I only get to 3ish track weekends a year, and would prefer to not sound like a race car at stop lights the rest of the time.
2-piece OEM rotors for a Camaro SS with 6-piston upgrade, which gets the right geometry for this combo and opens up Girodisc or DBA ring options later
Goodridge stainless lines, at 53k miles I feel pretty good about the lines but they're coming off anyway. Left the rear lines stock for now.

Parts (before pads & lines arrived):

Scoops: cut the mounting tabs off and drilled holes for zip ties. I'll keep an eye on toe rod clearance to determine if I need to trim there as well.

Installed:

Track wheel clearance: my 18x9.5" Enkei Kojins fit over these 14.8" (edit: 14.56", good thing it's not actually .8) and brakes, with 1/8" of clearance between the caliper exterior and the inside of the rim. Spoke clearance is fine. I was fairly confident this would work, after seeing a picture of a GTO with these wheels over CTSV brakes.

Street (OEM) wheel clearance, and all done after a quick test drive: I added a 3mm spacer because there's 1/8" of space between the very nice CORVETTE label and the back side of the wheel, and my old Brembos had already caught a rock in that space and lost a slice of the sticker.

I'll be driving this at two track weekends in October, and hopefully Arizona Motorsports Park should be more reasonable with more heat capacity and cooling. Next step if any would be some ducting in the fender liner to dump more air in the direction of the control arm scoops: I don't want actual ducts and hoses on a street car, or really anything else that makes the car worse for errands and road trips.

heffray fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 30, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
hell yeah. more late-model muscle-sedan content, more better.

and i thought the 14-inch brakes that you're taking off were big.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

I'll be driving this at two track weekends in October, and hopefully Arizona Motorsports Park should be more reasonable with more heat capacity and cooling. Next step if any would be some ducting in the fender liner to dump more air in the direction of the control arm scoops: I don't want actual ducts and hoses on a street car, or really anything else that makes the car worse for errands and road trips.

You coming out to Attessa next weekend? :)

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

You coming out to Attessa next weekend? :)
Yes, driving in DE4. I'd like to do both AMP and Chuckwalla in November, but might skip AMP due to schedule congestion.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Yes, driving in DE4. I'd like to do both AMP and Chuckwalla in November, but might skip AMP due to schedule congestion.

Good, I'll see you there. I ran the track a few weeks ago in a different config, flows well and pretty easy on tires / brakes due to the surface and lack of AMP-like power-brake-power-brake stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm pretty bad with taking pictures until something is already finished.

Its a little bit late, but a few weeks ago my Corolla celebrated it's 14th birthday, and a few days ago was 14 years of me having this thing so today I: polished the driver side headlight that was yellowing, gave the interior a good once over (it wasn't that bad to begin with) and gave it its first hand washing and drying in uuuuuuhhhhhhh a while.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wesleywillis posted:

Its a little bit late, but a few weeks ago my Corolla celebrated it's 14th birthday, and a few days ago was 14 years of me having this thing so today I: polished the driver side headlight that was yellowing, gave the interior a good once over (it wasn't that bad to begin with) and gave it its first hand washing and drying in uuuuuuhhhhhhh a while.

Is that an XRS? Is it the 6-speed?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Is that an XRS? Is it the 6-speed?

Yes and no.
They only came with a 5 speed. Or they only did in '09.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wesleywillis posted:

Yes and no.
They only came with a 5 speed. Or they only did in '09.

Ah, I was thinking of the earlier ones like 05-06 that came with the 6-speed. Same setup as the Elise/Celica GTS.

Still great with a 5-speed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, maybe I have bad taste because Toyota
Appliance car and all, but it's still a fun car to throw around corners

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm having an odd throttle issue with the ranger.

Long story short if I have it in 4th gear at low rpm's, if I let off of the accelerator (just barely touching it to maintain speed through town), it will continue to maintain acceleration for about 2 seconds or so before it lets up. It's only happening in that very specific situation, otherwise it seems fine.

Anyway I was advised in the stupid questions thread that it might be a vacuum leak or something with the throttle body, so this weekend I tested for vacuum leaks by spraying with some MAF cleaner I had left over and found nothing.

I also cleaned the throttle body, which was decently dirty, and the pcv valve hose was cracked so I replaced that too.

It still did it this morning, so that was a bit of a bummer, but on the other hand maybe I'll get a couple more MPG's out of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

LOL, I washed my Crown Vic in the first time in "uh, a while" as well, last weekend:

It was diiiiiirrrrty.

Most noticeable change was the wheels. Being gloss black they look like complete rear end when dirty, fantastic when clean, but the hole car was basically another color. Paint still shines decently despite all the peeling spots, and a complete lack of care or attention.

Also washed the AE86:

It chalked up pretty good thanks to the spray bomb finish. The door has been partially power-washed in that pic.

Lost a lot of pigment to the oxidation:

Still looks better than it did, and it doesn't rub off on you when you lean against it.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

That AE86 is a beaut!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DoubleT2172 posted:

That AE86 is a beaut!

You want it? I don't. I traded my '90 RX-7 for it with intention to sell, and have been lazy.
It's solid. Only rust I've found is a tiny bit in the rocker just ahead of the passenger rear.
If I didn't already have multiple RX-7s, I'd probably keep and do fun stuff.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
What kind of chump rides around in a minivan with badges?!?! Not this one!

Seriously though... all the badges are just overkill. In other stupid mods - looking for a black metal/aluminum plate frame, and may also plastidip the chrome trim below the windows to black...

Why does new car make me so stupid?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Now you look like you have a base model odyssey, you poor

I kid. I debated getting my van windows tinted as well and already did a plate frame. :lol:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Plate frames all day.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Beverly Cleavage posted:

What kind of chump rides around in a minivan with badges?!?! Not this one!

Seriously though... all the badges are just overkill. In other stupid mods - looking for a black metal/aluminum plate frame, and may also plastidip the chrome trim below the windows to black...

Why does new car make me so stupid?

They sell vinyl kits to black out chrome trim. I covered the window trim on my VW and it looks much better. Searching for window trim vinyl wrap on Amazon will bring up several kits.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Replaced the coolant flow control valve and inverter coolant pump on my Prius today. A local shop wouldn't do it because hybrids are scary I guess but it wasn't hard at all.

I've seen suggestions of just doing both if one of them fails and I've got to agree because they're both very common failures and you have easyish access to both when you're doing one of them.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

empty baggie posted:

They sell vinyl kits to black out chrome trim. I covered the window trim on my VW and it looks much better. Searching for window trim vinyl wrap on Amazon will bring up several kits.

Mind blown. Thanks!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Replaced the hubs, rotors, brakes and wheels on a friends Astra today to convert it to 5 stud rims to take advantage of all the good used rims in the wreckers with good tyres on them- Plus move from some stupid lovely fragile 17" aftermarket rims with 215/40R17 tyres to a MUCH more common and cheaper 205/50R16, which is good considering they live in the country and spend a lot of time on crappy roads full of potholes... which is what shattered one of the stupid lovely aftermarket 17" rims a week ago...

Good thing we did the hub conversion too, the front wheel bearings were shot, the front rotors had obviously had the inner pad backing plate lathed into them at some point and someone with access to a brake lathe just skimmed them off- the inner side of the rotor vents was a solid 3mm narrower than the rears and the rear rotors looked like they'd been machined with an angry racoon, again, due to the inability to work out just what that horrifying squealing/grinding noise was every time you touch your brakes...

Did notice the rear shocks are leaking, one front CV shaft has a split boot and a tie rod end boot is knackered with a pretty unhappy joint, so time to price up what those parts are worth vs going back to the wreckers and grabbing the brand new rear shocks, brand new CV shaft and finding a good, tight tie rod end since the owner has absolutely no money since inflation and interest rates have gone through the roof.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Mind blown. Thanks!

...and even if there aren't any kits it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. A roll of knifeless tape makes the job much "safer" (i.e. less risk of cutting the paint). I blacked out my KIA Optima PHEV and it really changed the look of the car as it's full of matte silver trim pieces. Typing this I realize that I don't think I have any pictures of that car...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Took the first tentative step into the resto of the Integra. The wheel cleaned up easier than I thought but the HF abrasive tools were uh....wanting for quality. So I guess it's time to source some aggressive cleaners and sandpaper. All four wheels are basically solid red-brown right now and I figure even silver painted steel will go a long way to making the car look less wrung out. This is about halfway in

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took it for a little drive down to NC/TN for a jaunt on a pretty straight bit of road.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Swapped out what I hope was just a bad O2 sensor on my wife's Crosstrek. Almost 200k miles, and unthreaded with no drama with just a 22mm wrench. Now see if the CEL comes back.

Prior to that, brakes on 2 vehicles for the side hustle. Trying the Centric GCX rotors and PQ Pro pads, 88k mile Jeep Cherokee and 80k mile Highlander, both original pads. The Jeep probably didn't NEED brakes yet, but the Highlander was definitely due. Easy peasy 75 minutes each, even taking my time cleaning and replacing slide pins. I probably need to get things together to overhaul calipers in house, since ordering replacements can be a crapshoot.

Really happy with the GCX/PQ Pro combo though. The pads scrub off just the wear surface after just a few moderate stops on my normal 2 mile test drive route.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PitViper posted:

Trying the Centric GCX rotors

I put those on my sequoia about 80k miles ago. At this point they have worn through 1.5 sets of brake pads and are still doing pretty well. The early sequoia and tundras are known for destroying front brakes, but these have held up pretty well in a northern rusty shitbox state. I also do a lot of towing so that puts extra abuse on the brakes.
They are about due for replacement, though; some warpage and brake pads not contacting the entire rotor surface. I'm impressed enough i'll probably go back with the same thing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My quest for more lumens continues. New shop lights from Costco. They come in a two pack and it wasn't clear if they are 4000 lumens each or as a pair... My eyeball gauge says that's each. I have another pair that I'll add to the other side and I'll probably pick up two more pairs and just set them up as needed when I turn my garage into a paint booth. It'll be nice to have this light when I do my next brake job though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

THERE APPEARS TO BE A PORBLEM

Not 100% sure I'd keep sending the flywheel and pressure plate, but they're not cracked, just ahhhh heat-treated. I saved them just in case.

Did the real main while I was in there. Probably a good idea at 100,000 miles. Yes that is a wine cork, it fits really well in that coolant pipe?!

Shiny new-new Ffffffffidanza Fffffflywheel. OE LUK clutch kit, this is a Mazdaspeed3.

Speaking of wine, wine break! That is a break, for wine. Vino, if you will.

This was my first time with a clutch swap; as with all "oh wow this is going to be so scary" car tasks I've ever performed, to date, it was more daunting than it was complicated. Transmissions are loving heavy, though.

I think I'd like a shop and a lift. This little jack adapter I made out of some leftover melamine shelving and spare decking screws DID actually help to not drop the trans, though:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 20, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looking good so far. Here’s hoping assembly is the reverse of removal.

I sent my very corroded Pittsburgh jack to the great scrapyard in the sky, picked up a Daytona to replace it, and then got my winters installed. It was time on both accounts. RIP, my trusty.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Which color Daytona did you get?

The little 1.5ton you see there is good for tire changes and fineggling transaxles up and down in the engine bay for clearance, but I really need a 3 or 3.5 ton low profile asap. If I'm wanting to get into a Galaxie, or any other 60s and 70s luxo-barges, it's gonna be essential.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Waffle House posted:

The little 1.5ton you see there is good for tire changes and fineggling transaxles up and down in the engine bay for clearance, but I really need a 3 or 3.5 ton low profile asap. If I'm wanting to get into a Galaxie, or any other 60s and 70s luxo-barges, it's gonna be essential.

A man of taste.

The 3 1/4 ton Arcan I have is wonderful. As I probably posted not that long ago if I didn't have it I'd grab that Daytona 3 ton (candy apple red) in a heartbeat.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Some day I will find a floor jack that can reach the front jack point of my lowered WRX without driving up on a wooden block first. That will be a good day. I've looked through Harbor Freight's low profile/long reach options and going by the dimensions none of them seem lower profile or longer reach than the one I have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Set up a storage space and absolutley loving destroyed myself getting all my wheels and tires out of the garage before the snow starts flyhing. snugged the lincoln up to the toyota to work on the other half of the garage. Amazing how small it feels when you're working on stuff in it but how much space you can squeeze out.

Just lol:

Summer truck meats mounted for spring. Going to look so good.

Finally cleaned the hell out of the trunk carpet and got it all back together (some grass got tracked in from the truck to the garage, of course). WD-40 for scale. The flat part of the trunk floor is 6'3 wide by 20" deep x 18" tall. A regular sized person could probably sleep in there. Maybe even 3-4 of them if you stack them right.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Waffle House posted:

The cheapest 3 ton in black for better or worse. It’s a good piece of kit for $170, and I forked up for the replacement plan, so I can trade in for one of the lawsuit ones if I want. The whole Daytona lineup looks pretty good these days, so take your pick and see how it goes I say.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Do I get the yellow jack? Green? Red? Black?! So many choices...

nitsuga posted:

The cheapest 3 ton in black for better or worse. It’s a good piece of kit for $170, and I forked up for the replacement plan, so I can trade in for one of the lawsuit ones if I want. The whole Daytona lineup looks pretty good these days, so take your pick and see how it goes I say.

Harbor Freight still fulfills its, "will work at least once" reputation, but has a growing list of notable good quality items.

My big red 44" HF/US General Toolbox is without a doubt one of the best purchases I've ever made, and IMO its only competitor in the price point is Home Depot's recently updated Husky lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Winch overhaul and replaced the steel cable and steel roller fair lead with a dyneema rope and alloy hawse setup. Winch was very overdue a gearbox overhaul to keep it spooling nicely, but I hadnt got around to it, so the winch scheduled its maintenance for me- by seizing the clutch drum halfway between locked and free spool, so you couldn't use it at all.... The tie rods were stuffed too, bent and gouged out from cable wrapping unevenly so I wanted to replace them, but they were about $40 and 4 weeks wait to get them from the US because nobody had stock anywhere in Aus, so bought a meter of 20mm solid aluminium bar stock and made my own.

did a whole pile of wiring work while i had the front end apart too- Decided to finally fix my stupid decision years ago to run antenna and light cables through the grille, meaning you couldnt remove the drat thing to work behind it properly, so redid everything to go under it.

Swapping to rope and alloy from steel cable and steel rollers made the front end of the car come up by 15mm- I must have shed at least 10-15kg straight off the very tip of the car!

The hawse and rope setup really modernizes the look of the bar vs the old dirty, rusty cable and rollers.

And then I bought this. Between this thing and the HF radio, I should be able to make communications with someone ANYWHERE in Aus, without the cost of a sat phone.