Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was actually an episode where Niles is dating a punk girl and he absolutely pulls off the look, the only problem is that being older than he looks he quickly feels like the lifestyle is going to kill him.

If that was the leather jacket outfit (season 6), Davide Hyde Pierce would have been 38/39 around that time. Non-zero chance he rocked that outfit in a given weekend that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wanna see him in a battle jacket

"Frasier, you won't belive how thrilling this 'Hard' 'Core' music can be!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"It may not quite fit thematically, but... Of course I had to rep a patch for my boy Stravinsky."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Rachmaninoff
ROCKS

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a radio interview Pierce did here where he said when Frasier was filming, in real life he was a big slob who drank beer in his sweatpants on weekends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FilthyImp posted:

I think by season 3 they offload the super high faluting stuff to Niles because of course you would.

Exactly the episode I had in mind.

Been said that Niles is basically pre-character development Frasier from early Cheers, since in his own show he's starting out a bit more rounded already.

Brawnfire posted:

"It may not quite fit thematically, but... Of course I had to rep a patch for my boy Stravinsky."

You always end up at Clockwork Orange.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1577408048263413760?t=t1zL39VHCdtMd_y9CxZmpA&s=19

Let's goooooo!

E: New show, new city, new characters, old characters won't be regulars, might make appearences. They loving better have Roz I swear.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 4, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
But no one other than Frasier is coming back??

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Why do they specify multi camera? What does that mean in the context of a sitcom?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 5, 2022

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Why do they specify multi camera? What dues that mean in the context if a sitcom?

Probably so people will know it's like the old Frasier, as opposed to a single-camera comedy without a live audience laugh track.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Very excited to discover in what fascinating way this whole thing crashes and burns

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Why do they specify multi camera? What does that mean in the context of a sitcom?

I heard one podcast about this and now I'm going to speak on it authoritatively. Basically it's a kind of outdated term at this point, but it refers to the method pioneered by Lucille Ball where they had (usually) 3 sets built on a single soundstage and a camera pointed at each one, all in front of a live audience. Whereas I guess before, the norm was basically just plopping one camera in front of a regular stage. The "multi-camera" method was the first time they really figured out the process and formalized it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

roomtwofifteen posted:

Very excited to discover in what fascinating way this whole thing crashes and burns

Oh really Niles

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If Frasier is going to reprise the classic character, is the advice going to be :corsair: get off my lawn?

It's gonna be rough, for sure. Seems like there's greater divides than 20yr ago so finding jokes that work could be tough. Are they even gonna let Frasier drink sherry and discuss art, or do they have to modernize him to IPAs and reviewing YouTube videos to reach the crowds?

A "Paramount++ membership on matching Paramount approved 2023 Apple-branded tablets with Verizon Internet", or can I pick it up each week on VHS? :angel:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want to be hopeful, but I cant see it coming within even 70% as good as the original. Literally everything about current culture is begging to be parodied but no one seems to be able to nail it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Frasier without Niles is not acceptable. :argh:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Frasier alone cannot carry Frasier.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I think the closest we got to a Frasier by himself episode is Don Juan in Hell part 2 and that would only count on the flimsiest of technicalities

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Basically remake One Foot in the Grave IMO.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Frasier prepares for his twitch debate vs Jordan Peterson

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Deptfordx posted:

A Frasier without Niles is not acceptable. :argh:

Nor Martin. :qq:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
S01E01 - Pilot - "You're Listening"
Dr. Frasier Crane, retired psychologist, former local radio host, and father, moves to Maine to recover from a heart attack. Limited in his mobility, he's accompanied by his indifferent cat, Aristotle, and a saucy maid, Estrofa, in his lakeside cabin. He discovers Pod-Casting and accidentally sparks up a feud with biopsychologician, Doctor Peter B. Farmer, when he offhandedly critiques the doctor's book on "Mollusk-based sociohierarchical dominance and the human condition" while holding a Pod-Guest spot with his maid.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

FilthyImp posted:

S01E01 - Pilot - "You're Listening"
Dr. Frasier Crane, retired psychologist, former local radio host, and father, moves to Maine to recover from a heart attack. Limited in his mobility, he's accompanied by his indifferent cat, Aristotle, and a saucy maid, Estrofa, in his lakeside cabin. He discovers Pod-Casting and accidentally sparks up a feud with biopsychologician, Doctor Peter B. Farmer, when he offhandedly critiques the doctor's book on "Mollusk-based sociohierarchical dominance and the human condition" while holding a Pod-Guest spot with his maid.

The cat should be named Bulldog.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
S01E01. "I'm glistening"

After surviving the nuclear war of 2017, while moving north along the Columbia, Frasier encounters Glize Glazer, a radio astronomer and Bebe's daughter. As Frasier uses Glize's skills to build a rudimentary radio to help the survivors of the war, Glize plans something more sinister.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

like a couple people have said, it's a different sort of style than what's referred to as a single-cam sitcom. basically, you have multiple cameras set up in front of a soundstage such that actors can run through a whole scene while the camera crew records complete coverage (a wide master shot, various close ups, 2-shots, and inserts as dictated by scene blocking).

single-cam sitcoms (and most movies) tend to use just one or two cameras, so oftentimes only part of a scene will be shot at a time, and that one camera will be adjusted in order to get all those wide/medium/close shots. this gives the camera and characters a lot more freedom to move, so you get stuff like the classic steadicam walk-and-talk shots where characters have a conversation while walking through several (usually real) locations with the camera staying ahead of them the whole time.

the effect of all this is that multi-cam sitcoms are shot more simply and tend to appear more like a play (including a live audience), taking place in only a few recurring locations viewed through the missing fourth wall. there are fewer camera moves beyond basic pan/tilt and lighting tends to be a lot flatter since you have to light for every angle instead of just one or two at a time (but with the benefit that lights don't have to be moved nearly as much and so just live on a grid above the stage, with minor adjustments made as needed). i think in the past, mutli-cam was thought of as worse or less artistic because those restrictions sometimes feel like corner cutting, but i don't know if that view is still prevalent.

i can see how the term might be called outdated because a lot of sitcoms will mix and match as needed. i can't remember any examples in frasier off the top of my head, but seinfeld would occasionally have exterior sidewalk shots that were done single-cam style even though most of it was shot multi-cam in the various apartment or store sets. conversely, anytime a scene in a single cam show involves people just sitting around talking, two or three cameras might get used so you can get coverage of several characters at once. community did this a lot, where some of the action-y stuff and specialty shots would be done with one camera but anything in the study room or cafeteria would almost certainly use a couple.

personally, i think the play-like atmosphere of multi-cam suits frasier really well. the characters thrive in a stage presentation that undermines their pretension, whereas i think a lot of the farce wouldn't land as well if the cinematography treated the characters as seriously or dramatically as they think of themselves.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 7, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SO1EO1 - "Stormy Waters"

An aged Frasier, sick of the trials and tribulations of modern life, retreats to his yacht on Lake Minnetonka. Sadly, a group of 19 year olds decide to anchor near him. They keep poor Frasier up with their incessant self-filming and constant reenacting of the MakTok challenge, which is when you film yourself swallowing a live mackerel for TikTok. Frasier's only companion is The Great Bazoo, a cgi Martin Crane who judges him a lot. In the end, he learns a lesson about something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The finale reveals everything has been a dream as he lays dying, having been shot by Optimus Prime.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tim and Eric Frasier would be the greatest, but of course we have to live in the bad timeline

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That or just a Safdie brothers Frasier movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainViolence posted:

i can see how the term might be called outdated because a lot of sitcoms will mix and match as needed.

I'm going to take this as a personal attack on my post and respond in kind.

Nah jk, but when I said "outdated term" I meant more just that it doesn't adequately convey the whole setup to most people these days, having not lived in the context of pre-Lucy sitcoms -- which don't even look that different until someone explains it to you.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

lol you're right and i've definitely seen it called outdated elsewhere specifically because just about everything uses multiple cameras anymore. i think it's one of those things that's so antiquated it doesn't make sense anymore, but still gets used because it's useful as an industry term. i don't work on sitcoms, but when i get hired as a b cam operator, i know i'm in for a different (usually significantly more chill) experience if it's multicam, but that doesn't really speak to the content of the show itself

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In which someone glaringly misses the point

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I decided to waste a few minutes reading that and I'm not sure what point they're making. It sounds like they enjoyed the show as intended? But also try to make some point about how it's dated and "is best left in the early 2000s", which, yeah? It's an old show. We did leave it there. They strangely refer to Arrested Development as a "contemporary" which was only true for about 6 months. I enjoyed that show's more biting take on the upper class, but it was made at a different time and for a different audience.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just found out there's a new building in west Seattle called Maris. Unsure how to feel about this.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Is it a barely-visible building that can almost be unnoticed between two otherwise regular buildings?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just found out there's a new building in west Seattle called Maris. Unsure how to feel about this.

I saw this Sunday walking around with a friend and she didn't get the reference.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

I saw this Sunday walking around with a friend and she didn't get the reference.

:sever:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
https://twitter.com/joechoui/status/1582419562242273290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:perfect: