Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I decided that I'm going to groove that swing one way or another. I'm still having some regression on some swings, but it's getting more and more natural. I hit two bags of balls then walked 18 in this wonderful weather. I had the course to myself since there was a home game at 3:30 :v:

I had some three putts that kept me out of the 70's. My irons have small green dots on the faces and I'm feeling it.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

gvibes posted:

I am trying to get back into the game and built a simulator in the garage.

Irons are coming around, but every drive has like a 8-10 degree inside out swing path and a 12-14 degree open face. All unplayable push fades basically.

Get a foam pillow and stick it just to the right of your intended path. Another drill that helps a lot with this is to put a head cover over an empty water bottle inside of your target line basically in line with your right foot. For the face, imagine the ball is a clock face and try to hit around 2:00.

The face is a pretty easy problem to fix. Fixing your path will take a while.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone is looking for a new fairway wood or hybrid, the PXG 0211 stuff is on deep discount ($79/89). I picked up the 5 wood a few weeks ago and I'm a fan.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/2021-0211-fairway/FL-PXG4F.html

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I can't turn down a $90 fairway wood. Thanks for the link.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Same, I’ve been meaning to buy a 5 wood but didn’t want to drop $250+

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Here, here. Was looking to experiment with a 7 wood, and at $90, hard to pass up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Here, here. Was looking to experiment with a 7 wood, and at $90, hard to pass up.

This!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
drat, some of the free shaft upgrades are worth more than $89.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

I noticed the drivers are on sale for $129 too, I don’t *need* a new driver, but for that price maybe I need a backup to my F9.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, I dug around and found a shaft that I liked that had no $ upgrade cost.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

If anyone is looking for a new fairway wood or hybrid, the PXG 0211 stuff is on deep discount ($79/89). I picked up the 5 wood a few weeks ago and I'm a fan.

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/2021-0211-fairway/FL-PXG4F.html

Y'know what, hell why not.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
drat. Just bought a "new" used Rogue ST hybrid from Callaway PO. Would have definitely given the PXG one a shot for $80. Oh well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dang, a lot of people unhappy with their fairways itt

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If anything I love my 3 wood and am thinking about swapping out my 3 hybrid with a 5 wood, SIR.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I have a natural in-to-out swing path and I find a lot of those clubs have a draw bias so I hook the poo poo out of them. I only have a driver then 4-PW as I don't trust my swing with those clubs.

Interested to know which brands/models aren't set up to be anti-slice. If that's the term for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

I have a natural in-to-out swing path and I find a lot of those clubs have a draw bias so I hook the poo poo out of them. I only have a driver then 4-PW as I don't trust my swing with those clubs.

Interested to know which brands/models aren't set up to be anti-slice. If that's the term for it.
Generally, clubs/brands that cater to better players are less draw-biased (that’s the term). I’ve hit the new TSR fairways from Titleist and they are very neutral. The TSR2 is a great fairway for all skill levels.

That said, 3 wood is usually the most difficult club for amateurs to hit so you may struggle to find something that performs consistently for you.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Generally, clubs/brands that cater to better players are less draw-biased (that’s the term). I’ve hit the new TSR fairways from Titleist and they are very neutral. The TSR2 is a great fairway for all skill levels.

That said, 3 wood is usually the most difficult club for amateurs to hit so you may struggle to find something that performs consistently for you.

This is why I went to a 5w. Despite being a ~16 handicap I have massive swing speed from playing ice hockey for years. If I managed to connect with my 3w it carried about 255-260, which was just way too far on the 50% of shots I hit well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, when I was at a 20 handicap, I was trying hard as hell to not fade or slice any club, from wedge to driver. Now I'm down to a 10, and I can't fade a ball to save my life.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kirios posted:

If anything I love my 3 wood and am thinking about swapping out my 3 hybrid with a 5 wood, SIR.

7 wood instead of 3 hybrid.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

daslog posted:

7 wood instead of 3 hybrid.

2 iron instead of any of that?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Internet Savant posted:

2 iron instead of any of that?

Any of that instead of a 2 iron

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
funny enough, I used to love using my 4 hybrid, and now I wish I had a 4 iron instead, as I might not hit it as far, but I can always hit an iron dependably straight.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
youd be surprised how much you can slice low irons
at least i am, every time i hit my 4

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Galaxy brain: 3 iron with the shaft length of a 9 iron for punches out of trees. For when you should just punch out to get it into play but decide that threading the needle between 5 trees to go for the green is a shot you definitely can make.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I too miss hitting 200 yd grounders with a 3 iron.

I just chip with a 3 wood or 3h from under trees.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
All y'all are wild.

Trying to escape trouble? Driver off the deck. Two slices = back in play bb

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

All y'all are wild.

Trying to escape trouble? Driver off the deck. Two slices = back in play bb

this guy gets it :radcat:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks Josh. I'll see if a local fitter has them to try out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played golf with a guy who wore a fanny pack today.

That is all.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There was a guy at my old course who wore a fanny pack because he played crazy speed golf in the twilight hours. He'd grab a putter, driver, 8i and I think a 3i, throw a few balls/tees into his fanny pack and jog 18 in like 90 minutes if no one was out there playing. He was like a 2 handicap which I assume helped a lot.

Anno fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 8, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

There was a guy at my old course who wore a fanny pack because he played crazy speed golf in the twilight hours. He'd grab a putter, driver, 8i and I think a 3i, throw a few balls/tees into his fanny pack and jog 18 in like 90 minutes if no one was out there playing. He was like a 2 handicap which I assume helped a lot.

Cart bag, in a cart. Never saw him open it. Also, it was a multicolored pattern.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

dangling pointer posted:

Galaxy brain: 3 iron with the shaft length of a 9 iron for punches out of trees. For when you should just punch out to get it into play but decide that threading the needle between 5 trees to go for the green is a shot you definitely can make.

I would prefer my terrible shot decision making on the course not be disclosed.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I hit those punch shots through tiny tree gaps perfectly like 90% of the time. It's the shot where there's a tree above the shot where I will hit the tree 100% of the time even when I'm trying to flight it lower.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

abigserve posted:

I hit those punch shots through tiny tree gaps perfectly like 90% of the time. It's the shot where there's a tree above the shot where I will hit the tree 100% of the time even when I'm trying to flight it lower.

My favorite shot from this year was the punch shot under a tree with a trunk maybe 4 inches in diameter. I managed to hit it dead on and go backwards from my initial shot... I just had to laugh. I was able to hit a standard pitching wedge for the next shot.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Cart bag, in a cart. Never saw him open it. Also, it was a multicolored pattern.

Diabetes or other medical stuff maybe? Or just drugs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Maestro posted:

Diabetes or other medical stuff maybe? Or just drugs

I saw him vaping occasionally. Probably that.

Colorado, so maybe the ganja, but never saw that.

nerox
May 20, 2001

xsf421 posted:

I noticed the drivers are on sale for $129 too, I don’t *need* a new driver, but for that price maybe I need a backup to my F9.

My driver is like 12 years old and the only club I have not upgraded in the past 2 years. I am ordering one of these drivers blind, if it sucks I am sure I can resell it for what I paid.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dead ball today.

I play two balls in a round, especially in winter. Odd number and even number, switch every hole, so the "resting" ball is warming in a pocket.
Today, my even number ball was noticeably dead. Off the tee with driver, couldn't tell because it struck a tree after flying much, much lower than normal driver ball. Figured it was just me not getting center of the club face. Second shot on the par five, had to take the ball left around the corner, lying at 305 yards, hit my 185 club to turn with the fairway. Perfect, felt great, nice draw, lands clean in the fairway. I head up to one of my foursomes ball at around 155, nope, it's me. Hit my 165 club to a rear pin, nice flight, short of the front of the green at 140ish. Paying more attention, I chip up and it just felt dead. On examination, it was a 2021 ProV1x, that milky off-white color they can get. Felt ok.

No problem with distances on 1, or 3 or thereafter.

Edit: PXG makes good clubs. Their shipping? Jesus.

$93 7 wood, direct signature required. So, I cannot have it dropped at my local FedEx pickup (Safeway), it either comes to my house or a FedEx facility an hour away.

My $2000 camera was easier.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 12, 2022

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I just played one of the best rounds of my life having played 4 times this year while buzzed while taking out my boss who hasn’t played in 20 years while paired with some douche tech bros.

There’s no rhyme or reason to this dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m laying buzzed usually works out pretty well