Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the phrase “Harvard engineers” before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mirificus posted:

April 2020

lmbo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mirificus posted:

April 2020

Fuckin' love nerds on the internet. Wonder what the credentials of this psychology expert are.

Also love people who reflexively use the Wikipedia list of biases to try to win arguments when they plainly have no thoughts of their own. Misapplying them to others in order to justify their own biases is particularly great.

(The only thing better that I've directly experienced was when I pointed out how ridiculous some dude's argument was by taking it to its inevitable conclusion, and his retort was to smugly link me to the Wikipedia article for reductio ad absurdum. The fella thought that he was demolishing what I was saying by linking me to a rhetorical fallacy rather than a form of argument.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wonder if Hostile Apostle is out there now promoting Google Cloud, easing fears that those who hosted applications and data there have nothing to fear.

Some would say it's FUD to even dare suggesting Google Cloud will be next, and they are not wrong. Beware of FUD.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Google Cloud apparently still losing a billion dollars a quarter. I don't think google shuts it down yet, but they've lost like 20+ billion or more on it at this point.

Funnily, Im pretty sure if Google did drop out of cloud the EU would block microsofts ABK acquisition

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Huh, so Stadia couldn't even be the best at failing

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Posting one last lmao for the goldmine

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

standards havnt slipped thaht much surely

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

hostile apostle posted:

If the point of the thread is to sling your latest hot take, rather than actually discuss whats going on the platform or talk about your actual experience - then I'm all for gassing it.

Stadia got gassed :actually:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pryor on Fire posted:

Posting one last lmao for the goldmine

This thread's current score is 2.66. Maybe if people had given this thread a chance and didn't take every opportunity to wish it the worst, it could have been a Goldmined thread. I don't have a lot of time to read and vote on threads but, personally, this is the first thread that really worked with my schedule, so it'll be sad to see it gone.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its a dog poo poo thread

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Saoshyant posted:

I wonder if Hostile Apostle is out there now promoting Google Cloud, easing fears that those who hosted applications and data there have nothing to fear.

Some would say it's FUD to even dare suggesting Google Cloud will be next, and they are not wrong. Beware of FUD.

Or maybe it could be that Stadia outlasted hostile apostle. Just sayin’.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Stux posted:

its a dog poo poo thread

And yet, it succeeded in the end. Makes you think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

your brain is made of mash potatos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rest in piss

:ubisoft:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

now that we've killed stadia, countdown to the stux perma?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking we could channel our concentrated h8r energy capable of defeating products from Trillion dollar companies toward Luna.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Remember when Hostile Apostle praised Stadia for outlasting Lowtax, good times.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PowerBeard posted:

Remember when Hostile Apostle praised Stadia for outlasting Lowtax, good times.

Hey now, credit where it's due, that was his one good post in this thread.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I got a free Stadia a few years back because I have YouTube premium. I used it a bit and it was fine, is there anyway to use the controller for non-Stadia stuff? Can I connect it to my PC wirelessly or just wired?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

SalTheBard posted:

I got a free Stadia a few years back because I have YouTube premium. I used it a bit and it was fine, is there anyway to use the controller for non-Stadia stuff? Can I connect it to my PC wirelessly or just wired?

Evidently it only works with other devices over a wired connection.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SalTheBard posted:

No. A vast number of folks (2, 3 maybe) are pushing for Google to unlock the BT to make them usable versus finding their way to landfills.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Escape Goat posted:

I'm sure many Google engineers are smarter than me, in fact I know one who worked on Stadia and has a galaxy brain and is one of the brightest people I've met in CS. As far as I'm aware though, he is unable to break the laws of physics.

And none of that has to do with why Stadia was always going to be a failure. How do you screw up "Netflix for games" and do a la carte instead.

Some of the smartest people I know also happen to be some of the dumbest people I know.

They know a ton in one really complex area, but nothing in other areas. Sometimes, they can be hopelessly oblivious but they can at least listen to other people at some point. Sometimes, they are just hopeless, and think that because they are an expert in one complex field, they are an expert in all other things.

Also, I know none of these people work in software development. I can't count the number of times a well-meaning developer said that "this issue you pointed out won't be a problem" only to have someone explain that it actually is a problem and users will not see it the way you do. Developers are the internal workings of the system, but they don't always think like an end user who doesn't have any understanding of why the system works the way it does.

So sure, Stadia might be an amazing feat of development and engineering, but when I play a fast paced game like Serious Sam, I don't want it to feel a little sluggish. And that's exactly what Stadia was at its best - a little sluggish.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1575544578912178176?s=46&t=V_SXWkDaQ60i4oauc5LPLA

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I enjoy the part where they didn't even tell developers working on Stadia games that it was shutting down

Google sure seems like a great company to work with

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

A little funny how the Logitech G Cloud, a dedicated streaming handheld, was announced a week ahead of Stadia closing and none of the marketing materials for that thing mentioned the service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ErrEff posted:

A little funny how the Logitech G Cloud, a dedicated streaming handheld, was announced a week ahead of Stadia closing and none of the marketing materials for that thing mentioned the service.

Handheld streaming-only devices are going to be a real loving miss given that there's so much competition from devices that will actually play modern games fairly well themselves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had an OG nvidia shield, the one which was basically an android tablet attached to an xbox controller, which could attempt to stream from your PC with the Geforce app

(they flopped hard and i got one during the period where they'd just give you one with a graphics card)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Handheld streaming-only devices are going to be a real loving miss given that there's so much competition from devices that will actually play modern games fairly well themselves

Yeah I don't see the value unless they retail for like 50 bucks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stux posted:

its a dog poo poo thread

Because you keep showing up

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Because you keep showing up
I'm sure having 500 more screenshots of a novelty "X DAYS TO DEATH" countdown timer would have easily lifted this thread to Comedy Valhalla. What could have been!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Without this thread I never would have known that people on reddit were posting cringe

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bad Purchase posted:

now that we've killed stadia, countdown to the stux perma?

gently caress you

joylessdivision posted:

Hey now, credit where it's due, that was his one good post in this thread.

:emptyquote:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So has anyone in Stadialand been posting about how the shutdown is good for Stadia?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Time_pants posted:

So has anyone in Stadialand been posting about how the shutdown is good for Stadia?

Some of them babble on about "the technology going on".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Time_pants posted:

this. if we g could get a long post of reddit posts alongw ith their full names and address it would really help get the last "lulz" out of this particular cow

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

I'm sure having 500 more screenshots of a novelty "X DAYS TO DEATH" countdown timer would have easily lifted this thread to Comedy Valhalla. What could have been!

Shut up, it take a picture of this post but I already shat today.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

:dafuq: u alirght mate? lol

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Or maybe it could be that Stadia outlasted hostile apostle. Just sayin’.

Anybody able to do a welfare check on the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stux posted:

:dafuq: u alirght mate? lol

Nope stadia is shutting down,.how can I hide from Buck toothed mole wife?