Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Frank joins the force and immediately starts killing cops is how I see that going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Indeed, I kinda go the opposite direction on the topical approach. Punisher should take place in a pulpy genre-y place where it's always 1983. Like Tarantino does with movies, well he's 70s. Tackling current horrific topics, I think that works less than ever for a Punisher comic. Not to say Punisher never did ripped from headlines stuff, but the 80s early 90s writers were so kooky and aloof in tone (I'm sure Mike Baron is on a Raoul Duke cocktail when writing), it feels like a Cannon film anyway.

I think as we see, the very existence of Punisher is less and less appealing to a lot of readers. But nobody is out there hating on Golgo 13 or Hitman Agent 47. Go that way I say, and throw in some Elmore Leonard, Tarantino, whatever reference to bring quality to it. Just write interesting enjoyable crime stories with a guy who kills everybody.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hitman does it right by making every target some rich piece of poo poo and punisher has never really been about that sadly

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The War of the Realms Punisher tie in series is the best punisher in years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Push El Burrito posted:

Frank joins the force and immediately starts killing cops is how I see that going.

No doubt. He joins the force and all these cops worship him. Then poo poo turns once Frank realizes half of these motherfuckers are criminals and cross lines even he won't.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BiggerBoat posted:

TBH, more I think about it, a Punisher run where he joins the police force might actually be interesting.

For all I know, it's already been done though but in the hands of a clever writer I can picture some ways to go with it. Even some smart rear end poo poo like "why do you have that decal on your car?" coupled with "do you even know who I AM?" that explores the idea of modern law enforcement could be a ripe area to draw some good stories from.

the only really interesting story to be told there is him dealing with corrupt cops, i.e. killing a bunch of them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah, I think him joining the cops and seeing what they actually do is what would make him break his rule against killing cops.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Y'all know Frank was a cop, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Just the Ultimate version.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1993.jpg

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Alhazred posted:

somehow I have no memory whatsoever of what they did with him in the Ultimate line :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing worthwhile.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I miss those sorts of ads in comics. Signing up for mail-ins and subscriptions and stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As much as I hate adverts there is something charming and reassuring when reading old comics and seeing what was being advertised and how. They are such time pieces.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Nothing worthwhile.

He killed Ultimate Jean DeWolfe (she was working for Kingpin). Like that was basically the only difference, Ultimate Punisher would kill dirty cops.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

The ultimate version of a cop is the Punisher?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

The ultimate version of a cop is the Punisher?

I mean, way fewer unarmed civilians shot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is Nightcrawler bringing some Hostess fruit pies?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I did not, no. When I started pondering it and thinking of some decent story ideas to cull from it, I mentioned that for all I know it'd probably been done. I didn't read the Ultimate line and my memory of the character was him being a war veteran but never a cop.

WAs that story line any good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I did not, no. When I started pondering it and thinking of some decent story ideas to cull from it, I mentioned that for all I know it'd probably been done. I didn't read the Ultimate line and my memory of the character was him being a war veteran but never a cop.

WAs that story line any good?

Ultimate Punisher is only in like a dozen or so issues of various other Ultimate titles, they don't really talk much about him being a former cop. 616 Punisher was never a cop AFAIK

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc he basically ends up in jail immediately and then later Nick fury gets him out to be on his secret avengers team and the cop thing isn't brought up again much

site fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

At first I thought it was sunscreen bottles and he was being Very Horny which is appropriate for Excalibur-era Nightcrawler, but looking closer, I think it's hot dogs

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nah, 616 Frank went from high school to seminary to the marines. His family died when he was on leave and then his career path changed to "vigilante".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endless Mike posted:

At first I thought it was sunscreen bottles and he was being Very Horny which is appropriate for Excalibur-era Nightcrawler, but looking closer, I think it's hot dogs

he does have two of them after all

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

I think you're right, but I would like to give attention to the fact that the buns are the same color as his hat, maybe just a little bit lighter, and the hot dogs look raw. They are slightly concerning. Which is topical for this thread!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Like a lot of the house ad artwork, it's repurposed from the second Marvel Swimsuit Issue:

It was also recolored for the subscription page, but while the hot dogs are still kind of all one color, it's even more obvious he's bamfing over from where Brian is manning the grill, so that's another sign that they're hot dogs.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #10 should just be renamed "Good Faces: The Comic Book"

Is that the same artist who did the Annihilus-on-the-toilet issue of FF? Because I recall similar faces there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Esplanade posted:

Is that the same artist who did the Annihilus-on-the-toilet issue of FF? Because I recall similar faces there.

Assuming that's the Amazing Spider-Man #10 that came out this week - the OP didn't say - then yes, they're both Nick Dragotta.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I enjoy Dragotta’s art, I will say I was taken aback initially when I read the issue. A person can’t just be surprised by Dragotta, it’s not nice.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Haven't posted Barbucci/Canepa in a while.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Antigravitas posted:

Haven't posted Barbucci/Canepa in a while.

The traffic jams at Burning Man get worse every year!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

The traffic jams at Burning Man get worse every year!

When I lived in Oakland, we all loved burning man because it meant all the insufferable assholes were gone for a week.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Kim Jung Gi appreciation station. RIP

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Well that loving sucks...RIP

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ah man, he was one of my favorite artists.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lmao look at this guy

how is this real lmao

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1577732887083814913

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw him doing his thing at San Diego comicon one year and it was mesmerizing. He was so drat good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Kim Jung Gi appreciation station. RIP

These are great. Getting some serious Bernie Wrightson vibes here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh man, that video reminded me of how I knew him. Just able to create things that looked amazing without even laying down sketch lines. He was so talented. Sucks to lose him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How long did those live drawings at comic-cons take in real time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Watching a couple live draws and just amazed again. A loss of exceptional talent.

This one's time lapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbvhyTZXfs

This is a live draw recording from August.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqQQCB7e20