Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got tickets to Turtle Skull at the end of the month.

Sasquatch are playing Saturday night. Haven't got a ticket but I might. They seem like a lesser version of Lowrider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The Boris show was incredible as always. They are touring with the drummer (maybe the only guy?) from Crawl, so Atsuo is in full frontman mode. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen him not doing drums and vocals in 16 years of seeing their shows. The set list is mostly fast and the crowd gets moving. No material older than 2010s though

Go see them!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Laserface posted:

I got tickets to Turtle Skull at the end of the month.

Sasquatch are playing Saturday night. Haven't got a ticket but I might. They seem like a lesser version of Lowrider.

I saw Turtle Skull is playing some festival with Jack Harlon soon. You going to that?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I saw Turtle Skull is playing some festival with Jack Harlon soon. You going to that?

That's in Byron bay which is too far to go for my taste given JH play here every few months. Turtle skull don't play here much due to all the members living in different cities on the east coast so I'm real excited for that. I haven't seen them for a long time. TS are playing in the Sydney cbd at Oxford art factory which is a good indication their career is on the up. Comet is coming are playing there soon too but I missed out on tickets.

This weekend I'm going to see sour cream, who played at the psychedelic pathways festival with JH a few months ago. Sour cream are the loudest band I saw that day. I had earplugs in and my hands over my ears. It was nuts. I'm seeing them in a room about 1/4 the size this time.

http://sourcream1.bandcamp.com

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 1, 2022

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Zoben posted:

I drew a gig poster for them with a samurai on it

Can you post a pic of the poster?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

butros posted:

Can you post a pic of the poster?

Sure, I don't like to spam the thread with my art and stuff but this one turned out well. It was for Riot Fest 2010 at the Metro in Chicago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

That is so sick.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:justpost: all your art, that's sick

Also, new king buffalo owns

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zoben posted:

Sure, I don't like to spam the thread with my art and stuff but this one turned out well. It was for Riot Fest 2010 at the Metro in Chicago.

drat i wish i could have been there to buy this. Amazing art!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cool poster and hell of a lineup goddamn

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zoben posted:

I'm literally listening to De Vermis right now while working. It rules so loving hardcore. Nothing against Sleep, but I've always found HOF like a million times better. Serums of Liao? Hell yeah. Snakes for the Divine? Hell yeah. Devilution? Hell yeah. I love Matt's voice, it's got the perfect Lemmy growl but is unique, and there is a melody running through it unlike sludge vox (which I do love on their own in a different way, EHG and Bongzilla and Weedeater and such).

Definitely funny how everyone has different favorites, mine is Death Is This Communion. When I hear a lovely song playing when I'm out at a store or at the gym I always start humming "Fury Whip" in my head to drown it out. The title track has such a cool slow burn to it, I used to love listening to it when I'd be running. When he goes "Slithering blasphemous curse upon all liiiiiife" and the chorus riff blasts in, it's just so fuckin killer. Maybe not everyone's favorite track but it's got a lot of atmosphere, like Bastard Samurai (probably my fave track from Snakes, I drew a gig poster for them with a samurai on it which was cool because I got to meet Matt, although I was a bit too drunk and stoned to remember our interaction perfectly, haha).

First time I saw HoF was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour, and in Albuquerque... Matt was very drunk, forgetting/not singing lyrics, broke a string, and it was one of the worst shows I had ever seen until Opeth came on stage and redeemed it. Never seen them play a bad show since, and Sleep are loving immaculate musicians when they play live. Really glad Matt is doing whatever works for him, because looking back on it that show was just an absolute mess for HoF.

My girlfriend went to the 4/20 Sleep show this year (she's a edm freak) and thought she was just gonna go see this band I love that she likes with my brother and I, and walked out of the El Rey theater saying, "I get it now." Granted, Al did pull out a double bass.

Zoben posted:

I wish I was at this show and bought this poster.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only time I saw High on Fire was in a bar, when they toured for Blessed Black Wings but it rocked.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Stumbled on this today. It's a project combining doom and throat singing. It's got a nice lineup on the metal side, and the one track that's available is pretty good.
https://steppendoom.bandcamp.com/releases?fbclid=IwAR0LrMOqPTf7e4yVQrX4X3VM_RVlTtt_mCilRnf7F4ehx22evukqd7sNmQI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Detective Thompson posted:

Stumbled on this today. It's a project combining doom and throat singing. It's got a nice lineup on the metal side, and the one track that's available is pretty good.
https://steppendoom.bandcamp.com/releases?fbclid=IwAR0LrMOqPTf7e4yVQrX4X3VM_RVlTtt_mCilRnf7F4ehx22evukqd7sNmQI

Very cool

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

veni veni veni posted:

The only time I saw High on Fire was in a bar, when they toured for Blessed Black Wings but it rocked.

The first time I saw them was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour in Albuquerque at the Sunshine Theater, and Matt was so drunk he was forgetting lyrics and then he broke one of his strings and it was a very bad show that Opeth thankfully redeemed.

Never seen them like that ever again, thankfully.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Detective Thompson posted:

I saw Alash and Tanya Tagaq both play amazing sets a couple years back and Batzorig Vanchig is definitely on my list if I get the chance, but I had never really imagined them playing with Matt Pike. Interested to hear the rest of the album when it comes out.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Saw HoF when they supported Pelican in Glasgow in… 2008? 2009?

They sucked.

Thankfully I’ve grown up since then and maybe so have they and now HoF Do Not Suck(tm).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jeherrin posted:

Saw HoF when they supported Pelican in Glasgow in… 2008? 2009?

They sucked.

Never heard of "Hof" but they shouldve had High On Fire as the opener, that band has never sucked ever

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

MrQwerty posted:

The first time I saw them was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour in Albuquerque at the Sunshine Theater, and Matt was so drunk he was forgetting lyrics and then he broke one of his strings and it was a very bad show that Opeth thankfully redeemed.

You just posted this almost exact same thing just two days ago.

MrQwerty posted:

First time I saw HoF was when they opened for Opeth on the Watershed tour, and in Albuquerque... Matt was very drunk, forgetting/not singing lyrics, broke a string, and it was one of the worst shows I had ever seen until Opeth came on stage and redeemed it. Never seen them play a bad show since, and Sleep are loving immaculate musicians when they play live. Really glad Matt is doing whatever works for him, because looking back on it that show was just an absolute mess for HoF.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

I've seen High On Fire three times and they killed it every time, but Matt was boozing realllly hardcore for a long time so I can see it ruining a lot of shows. He looks a lot better nowadays, but before he went to rehab he had a pretty big booze belly going on. On a somewhat similar note, I saw Crowbar last week and it was loving killer, and Kirk has lost a lot of weight. I was a bit high (natch), so the 3-part guitar and bass harmonies sounded like a doom orchestra or something, I noticed the intervals a lot more in a live setting.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Also, new king buffalo owns

Took a few listens to get going for me but I've really gotten into it now. Hours & Firmament hit pretty hard!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

PalaNIN posted:

Took a few listens to get going for me but I've really gotten into it now. Hours & Firmament hit pretty hard!

Oh sweet it’s out! I don’t know why I never gave Acheron a serious listen but drat Acheron and Cerberus kick rear end

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Here's some cool stuff happening in the sludge world

https://metalinjection.net/news/torche-drummer-to-sit-in-on-late-night-with-seth-meyers-this-month

Listen to Torche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkmhnEAPbCs

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cat Hassler posted:

Oh sweet it’s out! I don’t know why I never gave Acheron a serious listen but drat Acheron and Cerberus kick rear end

Acheron is one of the most enjoyable new albums from any genre that I've heard in the past year.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

emdash posted:

Atsuo is in full frontman mode

Love this

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Local (Frederick, MD) legend Dave Sherman from Earthride, Spirit Caravan, etc passed away last night. I saw Earthride a few years back at DOOMfest

https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2022/09/06/dave-sherman-earthride-rip/?fbclid=IwAR3kNxi2thkvFCPFbU9zpvGnKozfglaZj9M6pEBkSvbVHeU_ItWfgDqOPaE

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Saw Boris in Minneapolis and it was incredible. Easily the loudest show I've ever been to - the venue was pretty small, too, which probably made it seem even louder.

Wata and Atsuo walked by us about an hour before the show with some groceries from Whole Foods.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Saw Gozu / Dreadnought / Belzebong / Edler the other day at Geno’s in Portland, ME. Awesome show, my first time seeing any of those bands.

Glad I got there early because Gozu sounded super tight, like, just incredibly well practiced for an opening act at such a small venue. I’ve been spinning their albums since the show and I’m kinda so-so on them, but I’ll definitely keep listening. They definitely put together a good setlist for the show.

Dreadnought sounded good but wasn’t really my jam.

Belzebong absolutely ripped (yes, pun intended). Would love to see them again, especially as a headlining act someday.

Elder was great but seemed like they needed to be in a bigger venue, if that makes any sense.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm not sure what to make of the new Clutch album. Lyrics are the same as the past 10 years. There are some kind of novel song structures in there though. Sound is mostly the same.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sounds like a clutch album from your description.

Seen ROBOT GOD a few times recently and they're on top of their game.

https://robotgodband.bandcamp.com/album/worlds-collide

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
As a huge Clutch fan, the new album is very meh to me. Some previous albums took their time to grow on me, like Strange Cousins, but I highly doubt that will happen this time.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
On the way home from Jack Harlon and the Dead Crows who killed it tonight, as usual. They leaned pretty heavy into tracks off Hymns although Absolved and Magnetic Ridge (closing track of the night) were massive standouts. They confirmed that their new album will be released in January which is wicked.

Khan, another local Melbourne act, was supporting; I think they've been recommended in this thread before if you haven't heard them give their album Vale a go. They're releasing a new album before Christmas too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Metanaut posted:

As a huge Clutch fan, the new album is very meh to me. Some previous albums took their time to grow on me, like Strange Cousins, but I highly doubt that will happen this time.

Yeah that's kinda how I'm feeling too. Book of Bad Decisions was a slow burn for me and I really like it now. I dig a couple tracks on Slaughter Beach but probably won't buy it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
50th anniversary of Vol. 4 today.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Metanaut posted:

This song goes pretty hard though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZN1N098tGg

Inkdaub
Jun 16, 2020

Planet X posted:

Local (Frederick, MD) legend Dave Sherman from Earthride, Spirit Caravan, etc passed away last night. I saw Earthride a few years back at DOOMfest

https://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2022/09/06/dave-sherman-earthride-rip/?fbclid=IwAR3kNxi2thkvFCPFbU9zpvGnKozfglaZj9M6pEBkSvbVHeU_ItWfgDqOPaE

Spirit Caravan is a favorite of mine and I somehow didn't know about this. Sherman helped make music that is a part of my life and it's sad to see him pass.

RIP Dave Sherman.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Chat Pile record is pretty cool

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This should be cool

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjLbyYMq63O/?igshid=NzNkNDdiOGI=

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Ooh yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Wicked psyched. I can't think of a single Al release that hasnt been absolutely top notch