Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Should Cobra Kai even be allowed in the karate tournament? Their style isn't karate at all, it's tang soo do! :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a common sentiment and I feel the same way too.

I've wracked my brain trying to come up with an apt comparison and keep drawing a blank. There's a lot of "so bad they're great" movies and tons of really cheesy shows and poo poo that somehow wind up being lovable but CK feels like its own thing to the point that I think it will soon spawn imitators. It's almost its own loving genre at this stage.

I feel like Mighty Ducks Game Changers is almost like Cobra Kai but not nearly as good/too much of a kid show. The only other show that reminds me of Cobra Kai is Peacemaker. That is more due to the focus on being a badass and some music choices.

I wish more franchises could be revived as well as Cobra Kai. Def one of the best tv revivals of anything I’ve watched.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Peacemaker is cobra Kai without kids. It’s also about a stunted man child who respects the masculinity of the 80s.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cobra Kai is a pretty hard thing to pull off and doubt we'll see too many successful attempts to match it in the future.

Can't be easy to get a bunch of actors from a movie / trilogy to come back for to their roles and continue their storylines 30-40 years after release, and for a multi-season TV show.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Spacebump posted:

I feel like Mighty Ducks Game Changers is almost like Cobra Kai but not nearly as good/too much of a kid show. The only other show that reminds me of Cobra Kai is Peacemaker. That is more due to the focus on being a badass and some music choices.

I wish more franchises could be revived as well as Cobra Kai. Def one of the best tv revivals of anything I’ve watched.

The success of Top Gun Maverick reminded me a little of this

Wonder what movie franchise would lend itself to this approach though? Because I honestly can't think of one. I think it would actually have to be a remade tv series

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spacebump posted:

So how many times have they been told they're Ducks and Ducks fly together?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Flesnolk posted:

Should Cobra Kai even be allowed in the karate tournament? Their style isn't karate at all, it's tang soo do! :v
Oh wow, that takes me back. To very bitter debates about whether Tae Kwon Do is Korean.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The success of Top Gun Maverick reminded me a little of this

Wonder what movie franchise would lend itself to this approach though? Because I honestly can't think of one. I think it would actually have to be a remade tv series

Chucky’s doing a pretty good job with this model as well.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought the swelling dramatic music during a pepper eating competition was a little silly, and then I got to the dramatic water slide race.

lol i had forgotten that. i liked it kuz it reminded us (the viewers) that these are still fuckin kids and the lifeguard can just kick them out. that like outside their insane karate world theyre just suburb teens lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dawgstar posted:

So how many times have they been told they're Ducks and Ducks fly together?

The Ducks were the “bad guys” in season one. To answer your question, I’d guess at least 4 times.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Chucky’s doing a pretty good job with this model as well.

Along this line, when it was on the Ash vs Evil Dead series sorta did too now that I think about it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Time for Marty McFly to come back and wonder how the gently caress did everything go so loving wrong compared to the future he came too before. He'd be loving shaking in rage.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

One of the particulars that work well for Cobra Kai that many other older franchises would have issue with is how gracefully their original cast members aged. They're mostly reasonably fit, not victims of too much plastic surgery, and have a spry energy that doesn't make you feel bad.

It's just enough that you can laugh with them on the ridiculous 80s poo poo instead of feeling bad for laughing at them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
LaRusso's face has melted and one side is about three feet higher than the other

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
people who like "Cobra Kai" should watch "Kamen Rider Hibiki"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

LaRusso's face has melted and one side is about three feet higher than the other

He's older right now than Pat Morita was in Karate Kid 1.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
what makes that even more mind-blowing for me is how long ago I was watching Pat Morita on Happy Days

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Time for Marty McFly to come back and wonder how the gently caress did everything go so loving wrong compared to the future he came too before. He'd be loving shaking in rage.

Sadly Zemeckis has said he would literally have to be dead before he allowed for any remakes or sequels or other adaptations to Back to the Future to be made. And Zemeckis is a god tier hack now who will agree to make loving anything for money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder how they swung that telltale series

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Wonder how they swung that telltale series

That remains an enduring mystery because Robert Zemeckis has said repeatedly that he would fight any attempt at a sequel or reboot or remake literally to his dying breath. So either he didn't consider the game any of those things, or old man Z just doesn't understand what video games are, or it was simply beneath his notice (or contempt), or more powerful forces than him at Universal and Amblin went "gently caress you, Bob, we're doing this" without his consent.

God only knows.

He has said, however, that there probably will be a Back to the Future remake or reboot or sequel after he's gone because Universal is 100% hungry enough do it, and fast, but so long as he lives, he'll make an absolute it nightmare for them to even think about doing it. Which is kind of sad in a way because Christopher Lloyd has said he loves playing Doc Brown and would be down for basically anything BTTF-related if it came up, and given his age and Zemeckis's obstinance, we'll probably never get to see it :smith:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 29, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why is he so against it?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Flesnolk posted:

Why is he so against it?

Common sense.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The telltale game was pretty solid, at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

evobatman posted:

Common sense.

Yeah. A Back to the Future IV or reboot/remake would be insanely hard to get right and beyond easy to get absolutely wrong.

There are people out there who could nail it, but they would never be allowed anywhere near it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should make an off brand reboot and just use Eric Stoltz

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nah if they do a reboot, at this point they should go for a Chrono Cross inspired follow up where it's a whole new cast with some uncertain connection to the McFly/Brown families but dealing with the unforseen ramifications of their time travel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

Nah if they do a reboot, at this point they should go for a Chrono Cross inspired follow up where it's a whole new cast with some uncertain connection to the McFly/Brown families but dealing with the unforseen ramifications of their time travel.

One idea I often think about is basically "Back to the Future, but Marty and Jennifer are co-protagonists". I want to see the version of Back to the Future II (and III, for that matter) where Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale actually had a real plan for what happened after Jennifer hopped in the DeLorean with Doc and Marty aside from "oh poo poo, ditch her as fast as we can."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jennifer would love to do it, the actor sells suits in studio city and is a heavy duty evangelist. She’s cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Golden Bee posted:

Jennifer would love to do it, the actor sells suits in studio city and is a heavy duty evangelist. She’s cool.

Elisabeth Shue?

Edit: Oh, Claudia Wells. NM.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If you're an evangelist you are no longer "cool"

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Flesnolk posted:

Why is he so against it?

I'm so glad they haven't.

It's the only outstanding cultural touchstone film left from the 80's that hasn't had an awkward cashgrab attempt at a remake / reimagining / prequel / reboot /sequel reboot or whatever Hollywood knows will garner interest in name recognition to save marketing costs / effort and try and establish ongoing franchises.

You get the impression from Zemeckis that the studios are chomping at the bit for it and trying to pressure him to do it.

With a few extremely rare exceptions that have been mentioned in this thread, (and Cobra Kai of course) there have been so many that were terrible or instantly forgettable.

Hell even this franchise went through 2010's Jaden Smith 'Karate Kid' which I think the world has collectively forgotten already.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was bad, the name made no sense and was racist, and Jackie Chan disowned his lesbian daughter, so frankly I'll be thrilled if we all just continue pretending it never happened.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm with the don't remake BttF crowd, the original was pretty near perfect as it was, and even perfectly holds it's place in time staying solely within 1985 and 1955. The series quality barely withstood the sequels anyway, where everyone's fond memories of 2 are solely the interesting 2015 designs and no one really mentions 3.

Besides it's unlikely any modern major studios would do it justice as anything more than a soulless cash grab.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I don’t actually hate III, but it’s clear that its existence hinges on having immense good will for the characters and setting, and it contributes nothing else.

But the constant talk of rebooting BttF feels so uniquely empty, because why? You could make a fun time travel story…people do all the time. But BttF specifically is of such a particular time and place, succeeding mostly due to the odd chemistry between Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd.

A “modern” BttF already exists: it’s Rick and Morty, and it’s an intensely cynical deconstruction of both the source material and sci-fi storytelling in general. An earnest live action reboot with, like, Tom Holland would be valueless at this point.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So aside from Kreese, who would be an antagonist for the kids to fight since they all seem to be on healing terms with each other, save Penis Breath, who probably won’t be terribly popular but no one would take him seriously anyway. Are they just gonna get some random evil teens to be the kumite equivalent of Iceland from the second Might Ducks movie?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It would be nice if the last season was just straight up the kids doing to the new tournament, working together and having fun. Close out all the adult storylines. Johnny and Carmen have their babies, Daniel grows up and finally gets out of Miyagi’s shadow. Chozen gets together with Kumiko.

And Kreese adopts a homeless kid or something and tries a different way.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

So aside from Kreese, who would be an antagonist for the kids to fight since they all seem to be on healing terms with each other, save Penis Breath, who probably won’t be terribly popular but no one would take him seriously anyway. Are they just gonna get some random evil teens to be the kumite equivalent of Iceland from the second Might Ducks movie?

I mentioned this before, Kreese will probably be recruited by Kim to keep Cobra Kai entered in the Sekai Taikai to spread her family’s teachings, they prob also introduce some other adults who are on her side but didn’t come with her this time since she was still evaluating Silver or whatever

The big unfortunate gap as you point out is that at the moment there is a lack of “evil” kids since basically everyone either fully joined the good team or at least became disillusioned with Silver enough to not be motivated for revenge. I do think there’s an opportunity with the Kim family’s “controversial” karate to turn even the formerly B tier kids into legit threats through dirtier tactics (which they already did a decent job this season of with Kenny, bumping him up a tier from when he was a total scrub beginner).

That being said here are some options I was considering:

- maybe Kyler is approached to actually step up as the new king cobra like he just kept saying he was this time. Maybe the promise of money/fame or the embarrassment of getting his comeuppance so often recently motivates him to actually buckle down and get dangerous. Bonus: you can bring back his other athlete/bully friends and fast track them in the same way

- Kenny is disillusioned with Cobra Kai but still feels betrayed by Robby and hates the LaRusso’s so maybe Kim and Kreese convince him to hold onto that hate. I was also thinking maybe his brother gets out of juvie and joins Cobra Kai himself; you could even have a story about Kenny getting increasingly more disillusioned while his brother’s influence pressures him to continue on a toxic path until he breaks free (alternately you have his brother play the devil on his shoulder from prison, teaching him the wrong lessons about manhood)

- there were also some of the other tertiary kids who kind of got dropped this season, notably the gymnast Sam fights in her prelim match in season 4; you could argue they dropped out when Kreese was arrested but are re-recruited when he returns

- hell Penis Breath can do a Hawk style rebranding and become actually dangerous as mentioned by the super secret controversial martial arts techniques

Add in another top-billed new kid or two from a foreign dojo and you have a pretty decent lineup, if potentially sparse on long-term interpersonal drama.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Tori will be back with Kreese back and is his path to some kind of breakthrough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A Back to the Future TV series in this vein is not the worst idea I've ever heard and probably the best example of "what other movie series would lend itself to this approach?" that I've heard. Revisiting the concept and going back in time to the 90's or 2000's could definitely work and is ripe for callbacks and poo poo. Problem is, you simply can't get the band back together the way Cobra Kai did so you'd be dealing with either recasting everyone and/or creating stories with characters we've never met like Marty's kids or Doc Brown's long lost nephew and whatever, which I don't think would land the right way unless it was REALLY well written and cast.

Chris Lloyd is 85 years old and we all know about MJF so it might honestly be depressing if they tried it.

Probably best to leave it alone, like others have mentioned.

EDIT:

Also agree with everyone else that it's hard to imagine where exactly the gently caress they GO with this thing from here. It feels like they've mined about all they could squeeze out of it and, aside from Swank (or Jaden), have run out of surprise cameos and recurring characters to freshen it up or raise the stakes in any way.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
They should bring back the cobra kai girl who tried some real life $camming and got kicked off the show as an art imitating reality thing.