Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Every time a layout artist attempts to save a .psd using original poster art their hdd corrupts. This is why they are so careful to never ever use original poster art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
look up the steelbook and then realize that standard is the best-case scenario (no pun intended). saves me cash too.

i like alt posters and all, but yikes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Even if some exec decided they had to change the art for some reason, this is a real lazy way of doing it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It can’t be a licensing issue I don’t think 🤔

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

It can’t be a licensing issue I don’t think 🤔

Nah it’s likely just that on a corporate level it’s been decided that every release needs to have unique art to stand out but also they’re not going to spend a lot of money on it. Boutique labels will usually put in some effort but the big studios half rear end it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah it’s likely just that on a corporate level it’s been decided that every release needs to have unique art to stand out but also they’re not going to spend a lot of money on it. Boutique labels will usually put in some effort but the big studios half rear end it.

That part does make sense. They don't want people to see the new version with the same art and then think "oh I've already got that"

pwn
May 27, 2004

And again, just like when this came up a week or three back, it must be pointed out that there is no casual retail presence to speak of anymore, the primary audience is lunatics like us, so please loving cater to us and consider maybe we understand that this is new without needing new terrible art and/or giant banners at the top of the box. Get off my lawn.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm one of those guys who'll get a new Shout Factory blu and then immediately flip the new artwork over to the original cover. I mean, not every release, but sometimes I just like it better with the original cover and bless Shout Factory for giving us the option.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Space Monster Wangmagwi is up for preorder. They're only making 2,000 copies and this is the first time Wangmagwi has ever had a home video release so its probably gonna go pretty fast.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Training Day UHD announced! Now just need Man on Fire!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Vinegar Syndrome releases this month:
4K Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Don't Open till Christmas
4K The Werewolf vs Vampire Woman
Blood Delirium
Moon of the Wolf

Peekarama double feature: Come With Me My Love and Satan Was a Lady

Partner labels:
Amityville Curse
Blood Hunter
Cutter's Way
Dachra
Deathcember
Grand Jete
In the Soup
The Pact
PVT Chat
Shock-o-Rama Video Party (4 films: The Naked Witch, Violated, Ghosts of Hanley House and Passion in the Sun)
Villains
Vortex
What's Up Connection
Zerograd

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I am unreasonably excited about The Werewolf vs Vampire Woman - I love that film!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Woke up, bought TCM2 and all is right in the world again.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Training Day UHD announced! Now just need Man on Fire!!
All late-period psychedelic Tony Scott deserves 4K releases. I'd kill for Domino in HDR.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 1, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Lol gonna upgrade Cutter’s Way.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
PreOrdered TCM 2, Second Sight announce the TCM box set let’s go!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Guess I'm gonna double dip into the apparently-still-ongoing Kino Lorber sale because it just hit me that I need to own the Metropolis remaster. The Nosferatu remaster is amazing and I love Metropolis even more, so why not done yet?

Looking around for what else I need to fill out my order. drat this hobby!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

They came close to just using the original poster art and were like "NO, WE CAN'T! MAKE IT SHITTIER!". Still better than the one with them dancing on the big clock.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

CPL593H posted:

They came close to just using the original poster art and were like "NO, WE CAN'T! MAKE IT SHITTIER!". Still better than the one with them dancing on the big clock.

It’s exactly that. Could have just left it but NOPE. Had to do SOMEthing.

I went w steel book for Reservoir Dogs cause I’m a sucker for a good slipcase steelbook.

But yeah, Pulp Fiction is gonna be the regular edition.

I look forward to us getting normal poster Steelbooks for double price on the next notable anniversary

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Still better than the one with them dancing on the big clock.
I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a record ('cause it says RPM on it) but it was designed by someone who has never held a record in their hands in their entire life.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
As much as I love TCM2 can’t bring myself to pay $50 with shipping for it. I’ll have to wait for next May’s sale and grab the non slip cover version for cheap.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Some cool partner titles this month. Here’s some simple recaps for y’all.

The Amityville Curse: The Canadian direct to video one from 1990 that most people forget about. It’s Amityville, you know what’s gonna happen.

Blood Hunter: shot on video mid-90s vampire vigilante Justice! Can’t find much, but looks like a primo SOV title

Cutter’s Way: 1981 Neo-noir taking place in the 60s. Stars Jeff Bridges, John Heard, and Lisa Eichorn. Cinematography by Jordan Cronenwerth of Blade Runner fame and directed by Ivan Passer.

Dachra: Tunisian horror film with elements of Blair Witch and Midsommar.

Deathcember: an advent calendar of Christmas horror in this anthology film

Grand Jete: German drama about the forbidden love between a mother and son

In the Soup: forgotten 90s comedy with Steve Buscemi as a down on his luck filmmaker. Also starring Seymour Cassel, Jennifer Beals, Sam Rockwell, Stanley Tucci and Jim Jarmusch. I’m saying this is the must buy for this month.

The Pact: another shot on video chiller involving a haunted house, ghastly ghosts and buckets of fake blood.

PVT Chair: a noir-ish tale about a man falling in love with a cam girl dominatrix and his pursuit of her outside their online relationship.

Shock-O-Rama Video Party: a 4-pack of 50s/60s regional frights from the fine folks at AGFA

Villains: an intriguing reverse home invasion film as a modern day Bonnie and Clyde get mixed up in what first looks like a kidnapping. Stars Bill Skarsgard.

Vortex: the latest from Gaspar Noe (Irreversible, Enter the Void, Liz Æterna) is about an elderly couple dealing with dementia. Rare acting role from Dario Argento.

What’s Up Connection: Japanese-Hong Kong coproduction from 1990 about a Hong Kong teenager traveling to Japan and bringing home some shady new friends. A look into the interesting relationship between the two countries and how they view each other.

Zerograd: a satirical and absurd look at the end of the Soviet Union in a bizarre little comedy.

I’m in for Amityville, Blood Hunter, Cutter’s Way, In the Soup and Shock-O-Rama. Maybe for Villains, Zerograd, The Pact and Dachra. Might wait for December.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Villains is solid, I saw it several years ago at a Graveyard Shift screening. Kyra Sedgwick and Jeffrey Donovan turn in really fun performances. It’s worth a watch but maybe not worth a $30ish premium release.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vortex is incredible but idk if I could rewatch it anytime soon after my dad’s health scare. Noe at his most human, most depressing, and least-camera-trippy; you’ll get debates on whether or not it’s his best, you won’t get any argument it stands out in his filmography like nothing before

Dachra and Villains I’ve owned on digital forever but never gotten around to

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Seconding the ‘In the Soup’ recommendation!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1576277747374395392?s=20&t=6jKb1A64K8hUJ901wiRvwQ

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1576575786009522176?s=20&t=zhLDiCcC5OqowA5boCXVfA

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gripweed posted:

Space Monster Wangmagwi is up for preorder. They're only making 2,000 copies and this is the first time Wangmagwi has ever had a home video release so its probably gonna go pretty fast.

Thanks for posting this!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Haha I love SRS's bullshit copy saying they "found" a print of this "lost" film, it's exciting enough that they apparently got the OK from the Korean Film Archive to release it, why all the nonsense? IIRC the KFA has even screened the film before, they've just always refused home video requests. Unless I'm confused and they really did find another print and avoided the KFA altogether?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is that F13 box set worth it?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

worms butthole guy posted:

if you're a fan? absolutely. though the first one did just get released on UHD its anyone's guess if the rest will also get the same treatment, but we'll have to see.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

If you don’t own them on blu it’s a no brainer at that price. I really like my set!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Haha I love SRS's bullshit copy saying they "found" a print of this "lost" film, it's exciting enough that they apparently got the OK from the Korean Film Archive to release it, why all the nonsense? IIRC the KFA has even screened the film before, they've just always refused home video requests. Unless I'm confused and they really did find another print and avoided the KFA altogether?

Forget it, Jerrold. It’s Ron Bonk.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Friday the 13th 4k is apparently bad and doesn't use the same 4k master the Scream Factory set used.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Roth posted:

The Friday the 13th 4k is apparently bad and doesn't use the same 4k master the Scream Factory set used.

Huh, I haven’t watched my copy yet but I’ve only heard positive things so far.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo that bonus disc is about as close as we're gonna get to the Hughes cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtOEoyqj6k

Legit surprised this isn't just a warmed-over cash grab. The art is whatever but at this point you could sell me that bonus disc in a plain white box.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

It’s a great set.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Blu-ray.com review of the Bram Stoker’s: Dracula UHD is positive so I put that on order. I have the 2007 one, which looks nice but I really want to upgrade.

Still coming out this month is Tropic Thunder which I never bought because the Blu-ray only had the extended cut on it, and I guess it ruins the pacing pretty bad.

88 Films’ version of The Seven Per-Cent Solution is supposed to come out tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s a big upgrade from the Shout! version.

Then maybe I can get a break from stuff I really really want.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Watched the new 4K of I Know What You Did Last Summer and what a goofy movie that is. The transfer is really great though.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

doomisland posted:

Watched the new 4K of I Know What You Did Last Summer and what a goofy movie that is. The transfer is really great though.
I watched this last Tuesday as a double feature along with the new scan of The Lost Boys. Both were gorgeous and some of us were discussing how Lost Boys felt like a new movie at parts. I hadn’t owned either since VHS so it’s quite a treat to have them both on modern media. Especially IKWYDLS, I watch that one every 4th of July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Did we know Shout was doing a Carrie UHD?
Steelbook looks awesome: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Carrie-4K-Blu-ray/325109/