Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Frank shooting a guy for littering part of a story arc where he was being driven insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very true, and being drugged was a retcon they gave it in Circle of Blood. Anyhoo I find that letter sad and troubling more than funny.

But, I do enjoy that we're talking about Punisher in several threads, it's a crossover! Always a fun topic. The Punishment Board. I gotta crack into those comics and share some takes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

I wonder what ol Roger is up to these days.

check the jan 6 indictment list

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Joe Fisto posted:

I wonder what ol Roger is up to these days.

Unless ol Roger got a revelation at some point, he likely died of heart failure at some point in the future. You can't hold all that anger inside and be healthy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus the letter is from 30 years ago. I like to think Roger who had a hard upbringing did end up alright, and opened some kind of pop up restaurant themed after Ninja Turtles. Pizza time. But yeah he may be dead. Hopefully... He lived. Getting reflective in here.

This first Peanuts strip is considered the 14th best comic story of all time. (on War Rocket Ajax)

https://warrocketwiki.com/Every_Story_Ever

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, that's from 1991. Reads like something from the nu20's.

I recently read someone complaining that X-Men was "too soap opera" these days and all I could think was "oh so unlike when Cyclops married his dead girlfriend's clone and then the girlfriend showed back up? In 1983?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I recently read someone complaining that X-Men was "too soap opera" these days and all I could think was "oh so unlike when Cyclops married his dead girlfriend's clone and then the girlfriend showed back up? In 1983?"

Also fun when they complain about "going woke going broke" with "pointless minority characters", like when the X-Men did that in 1975 and it ended up being the most net profitable 180 on a property Marvel has ever made.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus the letter is from 30 years ago. I like to think Roger who had a hard upbringing did end up alright, and opened some kind of pop up restaurant themed after Ninja Turtles. Pizza time. But yeah he may be dead. Hopefully... He lived. Getting reflective in here.

This first Peanuts strip is considered the 14th best comic story of all time. (on War Rocket Ajax)

That punchline still slaps, and what an exquisite windup.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bruceski posted:

To be fair none of that was supposed to be how that played out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair none of that was supposed to be how that played out.

Oh? I haven't heard that story. Anything interesting or just a different writer with a different idea?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Oh? I haven't heard that story. Anything interesting or just a different writer with a different idea?

when scott retired to alaska with madalyn and his new baby son that was supposed to be it for him as a regular character in x-men comics, he was to stay retired and maybe show up from time to time as a guest

then bob layton showed up and was like "WHAT IF WE STARTED A NEW BOOK WITH THE ORIGINAL 5 X-MEN" and john byrne brought jean grey back to life in fantastic four so x-factor starts with scott getting a call at his home in alaska he shares with his wife and child that his ex-girlfriend he thought was dead is alive again so he drops everything and abandons them to go back to new york to join her

bob layton left x-factor after 5 issues

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it did give us Inferno and inferno rules

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Even if they hadn't done X-Factor I would still call X-Men of that era incredibly soap opera esque.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X Men was undeniably soap opera from the moment Chris Clairemont laid his hands on it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know who War Rocket Ajax are but seeing The Great Outdoor Fight sandwiched between Watchmen and All Star Superman is delightful

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Alaois posted:

when scott retired to alaska with madalyn and his new baby son that was supposed to be it for him as a regular character in x-men comics, he was to stay retired and maybe show up from time to time as a guest

then bob layton showed up and was like "WHAT IF WE STARTED A NEW BOOK WITH THE ORIGINAL 5 X-MEN" and john byrne brought jean grey back to life in fantastic four so x-factor starts with scott getting a call at his home in alaska he shares with his wife and child that his ex-girlfriend he thought was dead is alive again so he drops everything and abandons them to go back to new york to join her

bob layton left x-factor after 5 issues
One of my favorite parts about early X-Factor was that, in order for their clever ruse of being mutant hunters to work, they (editorial, not the characters) needed Beast to not be blue and furry so they came up with a random cure for his blueness and furitude that, for some reason, also made him really really dumb. And everyone else on the team acts like this is just normal Hank stuff despite him being for all intents and purposes a completely new character and different person than any of them had ever known before.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #115 (1964)

The Punisher #63 (1992)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The protagonist of Skip & Loafer really is just a treasure

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

The protagonist of Skip & Loafer really is just a treasure

The Fonz isekaid into a lady from Japan. I approve

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-men is a soap opera I just find it funny he accidentally picked the one soap opera thing that wasn’t planned

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #115 (1964)

I knew global warming was a hoax! It was that dick Superboy!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

One of my favorite parts about early X-Factor was that, in order for their clever ruse of being mutant hunters to work, they (editorial, not the characters) needed Beast to not be blue and furry so they came up with a random cure for his blueness and furitude that, for some reason, also made him really really dumb. And everyone else on the team acts like this is just normal Hank stuff despite him being for all intents and purposes a completely new character and different person than any of them had ever known before.

That is a totally fair assumption though.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
This one got me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules, Nancy is wild stuff

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher #63 (1992)
Frank knows how to set priorities. No punishment is one-size-fits-all. Military-grade artillery for mob bosses, "pull my finger" jokes for wayward youths.

Which reminds me, a few years ago they did a What If where Power Pack became the Punisher. Was that any good?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher War Journal #17 (1990)

The Punisher #63 (1992)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher War Journal #17 (1990)

Here's what you are supposed to do.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

If you've got a gun, you can just shoot the metal detector until it stops functioning. No need for fancy moves, and therefore no chance of anything going wrong.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #115 (1964)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers #60

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Greg Land was definitely tracing Timothy Olyphant in that last panel

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Endless Mike posted:

Greg Land was definitely tracing Timothy Olyphant in that last panel

Was thinking Paul walker.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Superman: Space Age is a lot of fun. From last week's #2.

This one's pretty niche, but I appreciated it as I live here. From Hell is a Squared Circle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Was thinking Paul walker.

Oh word that's definitely it. I'm wrong.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This one's pretty niche, but I appreciated it as I live here. From Hell is a Squared Circle.

As someone who enjoys the idea of wrestling but hasn't been into it since Steve Austin was big, what's so bad about Edmonton?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

As someone who enjoys the idea of wrestling but hasn't been into it since Steve Austin was big, what's so bad about Edmonton?

Chris Benoit was from there.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Phy posted:

It's not specific to wrestling, it's just looked at as not a great place to live or visit for a variety of reasons (small, kind of grimy, not a cultural centre, relatively remote, extremely cold in winter).

I generally like it here!

Push El Burrito posted:

Chris Benoit was from there.

So was Chip Zdarsky! (This story is set in the territory days pre-Benoit).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

NorgLyle posted:

No, the cure didn't make him dumb. Almost a year and a half after losing the fur he barely survives their first fight with Pestilence, whose power reacts with his already messed up body/immune system to cause it. It took a further half dozen issues before he got to a dumb-as-bricks stage and within a year from there, he was cured and back to being smart and fuzzy again.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It's not specific to wrestling, it's just looked at as not a great place to live or visit for a variety of reasons (small, kind of grimy, not a cultural centre, relatively remote, extremely cold in winter).

I generally like it here!

Oh, gotcha. I'm from Calgary so I figured maybe there was yet another Battle of Alberta thing I wasn't aware of, what with Stampede Wrestling and the Harts.

You guys definitely get the bigger concerts up there! Nobody likes playing the Saddledome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Phy posted:

Oh, gotcha. I'm from Calgary so I figured maybe there was yet another Battle of Alberta thing I wasn't aware of, what with Stampede Wrestling and the Harts.

You guys definitely get the bigger concerts up there! Nobody likes playing the Saddledome.

Yeah, the new arena has been attractive for big touring bands - Calgary tends to get marginally more of the mid-level indie acts I'd like to see though.

The Stampede days are over, but pro wrestling is alive and well (?) in Alberta!

And to stay on topic, here's a bit I enjoyed from last week's AXE Avengers: