Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

tsob posted:

There's no loose plot thread, but it also doesn't feel like there's a satisfying conclusion to the conflict or relationship on either Jen or Titania's end at the moment. If she doesn't appear in the final two episodes then it doesn't feel like the season really had anything to say with her or any big plan for her as such. She was just an obstacle to impede Jen occasionally, rather than one that really meant anything.

There's not enough time to resolve HulkKing or the troll farm or anything, and the show's been comfortable having us follow plotlines that have nothing to do with Jen. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Titania a full episode this season, either for a backstory or to just fill in some of the themes. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to the world of comics, where you have the hero interact a few times with a low level comedy obstacle until either a) they suddenly become a major threat, or b) they gut punch you with some sincere pathos.

I would say "rule of threes," but we've already had three (four?) appearances of Titania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Modern Leper posted:

There's not enough time to resolve HulkKing or the troll farm or anything,

There's two entire episodes to rush through to an unsatisfying conclusion!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One ep of Frog Man
One ep of Dare Devil

It's all good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81vLH7ITNbE

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Rewatched this episode and there are just so many wonderful tiny things speckled throughout.

The therapy circle of reformed D-list supervillains will forever be one of the best things in the MCU. I so hope at some point they get a big hero moment where they roll out to deliver justice together.

gently caress it, cancel Thunderbolts, I want this movie.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I was bummed about Josh, I was equally tricked and hypnotized by him. The show made him so charismatic.

I was thinking, good for Jen, she needs a good guy after her last fling, but nope, she gets poo poo on again :(

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AgentHaiTo posted:

I was bummed about Josh, I was equally tricked and hypnotized by him. The show made him so charismatic.

I was thinking, good for Jen, she needs a good guy after her last fling, but nope, she gets poo poo on again :(

He was telegraphed as too good to be true/evil from a mile away.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Rewatched this episode and there are just so many wonderful tiny things speckled throughout.

The therapy circle of reformed D-list supervillains will forever be one of the best things in the MCU. I so hope at some point they get a big hero moment where they roll out to deliver justice together.

To me it is the moment she hulk is in the meeting and looking at her phone under the table. She gets a look on her face that is just a joy I haven't felt in years, but my old dead rear end remembers how it felt, and I can't help but smile every time I watch it.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Parkingtigers posted:

It's the closest we're ever going to get the Tick in the MCU and dag nab it, I want more of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kazil posted:

It's the MCU TV way

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

badjohny posted:

To me it is the moment she hulk is in the meeting and looking at her phone under the table. She gets a look on her face that is just a joy I haven't felt in years, but my old dead rear end remembers how it felt, and I can't help but smile every time I watch it.

Man. The sense of hope’s impending fulfilment. I, too, vaguely remember it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was telegraphed as too good to be true/evil from a mile away.

I felt this way about the therapy group too but I'm really hoping they end up not betraying her, Jen deserves good things

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hobo Clown posted:

I felt this way about the therapy group too but I'm really hoping they end up not betraying her, Jen deserves good things

:same:

I really thought there was going to be an action beat immediately after the breakthrough. It would have been funny in the moment, but I'm very glad it didn't happen.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kazil posted:

Obviously there's going to be a big cliffhanger leading into Season 2

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's not really that much left to cover. Jen has to feel good about herself and the HulkKing needs to be exposed/taken down. Titania is Jen's mirror character and can be tied into both storylines.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I really want Skeeter to get an augment during secret wars and run into a lovable meat head with the powers of absorption.

Making Crusher and Skeeter Doom's Goons would be a cherry on top. :D

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Re She Hulk: I have to go back, but if the guy in the group was from that previous episode (not sure what the rules around spoilers after a couple of days), wouldn't he have been able to give some insight about what's going on?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

Re She Hulk: I have to go back, but if the guy in the group was from that previous episode (not sure what the rules around spoilers after a couple of days), wouldn't he have been able to give some insight about what's going on?

Part of the joke with the guys who mugged an Asgard janitor, I think, was that they weren't particularly bright, and therefore good goon material who wouldn't ask too many questions about "get me She-Hulk's blood, I'll pay you guys 50 bucks and a case of Bud light for everybody" level transactions.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I think we'll get a grudging team up with Titania and She Hull against the Intelligencia. Still enemies afterwards.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Modern Leper posted:

At first I also wondered "Why doesn't she ask him who hired him?" But I just rewatched the scene at the end of episode 3, and it's unclear if Jen even realized they were after her blood, or even working for someone else. As far as she may know, those guys were trying to assault her for "strutting around and showing off her powers", got a beating, and ran off. Going by the amount of lovely behaviour guys have exhibited towards her, there is no reason for her to suspect that there may have been more behind it.

That said, it's still lovely of Wrecker not to at least give her some kind of warning after they bonded.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God I hope we get a Leader/AIM/MODOK level reveal at the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Infinitum posted:

God I hope we get a Leader/AIM/MODOK level reveal at the end.
I think Leader is very possible as a tease for Captain America 4.

Allegedly MODOK is in Quantumania next year, which also has Kang in it, so I would think he's less likely

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FlamingLiberal posted:

Allegedly MODOK is in Quantumania next year, which also has Kang in it, so I would think he's less likely

There is a leaked trailer out for Quantumania.

Its hard to tell because its only like 60% of the screen at an angle and clearly filmed in someones pocket. Some are saying MODOK is in the trailer and it ranges from "maybe thats him" to "its definitely him". Kang is obviously in it as well as an actor I honestly would bever expect to see in the MCU no matter the size of the dump truck full of money.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

AgentHaiTo posted:

I can't be the only person who instantly puts up the blast shields when people act like Josh did. It's so fakey and 'this is what a romantic person talks like, right?'

Like saying "I think you're pretty great" after having a single(?) 30 second conversation with someone is creepy. Plus the leaning too far in thing, especially since she was drunk. I bet if I went back and reviewed the wedding I would not be able to find a single frame of him not smiling at 120%.

I'm not saying I expected the heel turn (I did not), but I also did not like the guy and was skeeved the entire time, at least until they started going on dates which felt more natural.

ANYWAY I came in to post that somehow, in this goofy show were everything feels rushed (the episode previous to this one especially), and is supposed to be jokey and irreverent, we have the most sincere episode/scenes of any in the MCU with the Abomaste retreat. They actually let it be, and didn't ruin it with a dumb joke after. gently caress, give me more of that please.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are we just pretending Ms Marvel didn’t exist? This last episode was actually decent since they slowed things down but let’s not just throw out it’s the most sincere thing the MCU has done when this scene exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYlDd7xRXM

Or one of the earlier talks with the mom.

Let’s hope they can nail the landing.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

While I liked the little talk they had, it was just a way to shoehorn in 'Marvel' into her name so it kinda fell flat for me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's possible the MCU is building up a proper Intelligencia. Please ignore most of this nutso image I found in some weird corner of the internet, but it does show that Ulysses Klaue's SHIELD documents from Age of Ultron had him listed as a "Former Member of the Intelligencia". Sure, it's probably a completely meaningless prop detail but god knows anything's on the table at this point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BRJurgis posted:

I was uncomfortable with how absolutely ridiculous/pathetic the phone thing eventually got, but then that's probably because it is relatable, and plus the show works well with ridiculous.

Jen was checking her phone on and off throughout the day normally, and it's only when she got to the ranch that she got really obsessive about it. Which I figured was less an obsession with "I have to be checking my phone constantly, every second of every minute just in case!" and more an obsession with "I just want to find one consistent bar of reception so I can check it whenever she wants" mixed in with Jen just wanting nothing to do with the retreat and trying to do anything else she can in order to avoid engaging with Abomination and his retreat.

live with fruit posted:

There's not really that much left to cover. Jen has to feel good about herself and the HulkKing needs to be exposed/taken down. Titania is Jen's mirror character and can be tied into both storylines.

There's not much in the way of plot left to cover, but there's a good few scenes from trailers still to come and at least one episode of that is probably busy enough as is without involving Titania. We have at least one scene of Emil as Abomination walking through a cheering crowd at what looks like his retreat, which means he's almost certain to appear at least once more. We also have multiple shots of She-Hulk in a gown attending some kind of red carpet event, goons in military camo with high tech guns lining up and then said goons attacking She-Hulk inside that event, shots of Frogman taking off from a pack of those goons at night with a jetpack, She-Hulk meeting Daredevil while in her superhero costume at night, She-Hulk talking to Matt at a bar etc. Which is probably the finale, with Jen being attacked by Frogman's goons (and I will be tickled pink if the big bad villain of the season is loving Frogman!), then fighting and feeling despondent before Matt gives her an inspiring speech and Jen faces Frogman again.

If that is what happens though, that episode is probably packed enough as is with Frogman, Daredevil and Jen accepting her role as a hero without involving Titania. Who could be in the other episode, but that episode also presumably has Abomination. That's not to say it can't have both, but it's certainly less likely if it has Abomination that it'll also have Titania. Frogman being, or at least working for, HulkKing and one or both being the creepy skin guy would take care of several threads at once though. Including wrapping up the whole "Intelligencia" subplot.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

tsob posted:

Jen was checking her phone on and off throughout the day normally, and it's only when she got to the ranch that she got really obsessive about it. Which I figured was less an obsession with "I have to be checking my phone constantly, every second of every minute just in case!" and more an obsession with "I just want to find one consistent bar of reception so I can check it whenever she wants" mixed in with Jen just wanting nothing to do with the retreat and trying to do anything else she can in order to avoid engaging with Abomination and his retreat.

She's pretty obviously being portrayed at checking her phone obsessively, because she's been ghosted by someone as soon as they slept together after them texting freely back and forth. It's not even some subtle subtext, the show is shouting it at you. She gets no reply and gets worried and is from that point on tethered to her phone so that when he does respond, she can relax and stop worrying about it. This is such basic stuff. There's a quick cut montage of her constantly checking her phone, visibly anxious, always having it in her hand or in view. When she gets an unrelated notification she anxiously jumps into checking it. It's what happens when you're really into someone who subtly ghosts you and you're left not knowing if they don't have feelings for you, or if you're just being too thirsty or demanding. We've all been there (down to the dialogue of "I'm just worried something might have happened to him", or second-guessing the slightly stressy follow-up text, both of which were a hard relate for me hoo boy) apart from posters in this thread apparently.

That's all a narrative set-up for her being in a place where she then has zero signal, and she's using "I have to work" as an excuse for being incredibly anxious about whether or not the dude she slept with has texted her back. The whole episode is about her learning to let go of pinning all her self-worth on whether or not a guy she likes respects her enough to text her back after sleeping with her. She's not avoiding the retreat out of general apathy. She wants to be back and connected to the world because she's hoping as soon as she gets signal a text will pop being like "sorry my grandma died and I dropped my phone in a sewer as I was leaving yours but I do actually like you" and all will be well.

why is this thread so chronically bad at understanding this very easy to understand and not at all subtle show. Is it because it's about dating

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Grumbles posted:

She's pretty obviously being portrayed at checking her phone obsessively, because she's been ghosted by someone as soon as they slept together after them texting freely back and forth. It's not even some subtle subtext, the show is shouting it at you.

Putting aside the snippy "well obviously this is normal behavior and only posters in this thread aren't normal enough to get it" bullshit, I meant that she is portrayed as going from "anxiously checking it on a regular basis throughout the day" to "literally looking at the phone non-stop". Which is a step up in obsession, but also appears to have reasons beyond her desire to find out about Josh because she very obviously does not actually want to engage with the retreat on any level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3QKkl1WyM

Full reveal of the Ironheart suit and that Namor's flying is completely faithful to the comics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

XboxPants posted:

It's possible the MCU is building up a proper Intelligencia. Please ignore most of this nutso image I found in some weird corner of the internet, but it does show that Ulysses Klaue's SHIELD documents from Age of Ultron had him listed as a "Former Member of the Intelligencia". Sure, it's probably a completely meaningless prop detail but god knows anything's on the table at this point.

That dossier is way more likely to be for Abomination

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3QKkl1WyM

Full reveal of the Ironheart suit and that Namor's flying is completely faithful to the comics.

I like Namor almost hopping/dancing through the sky at one point. It's kind of silly looking, but also pretty cool regardless. That aside, they're just determined to draw out the reveal of who the new Black Panther is, aren't they? It basically has to be a woman though, looking at the costume reveal in the final seconds. Which means presumably Shuri, though it could also be one of the Dora Milajae.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

tsob posted:

I like Namor almost hopping/dancing through the sky at one point. It's kind of silly looking, but also pretty cool regardless. That aside, they're just determined to draw out the reveal of who the new Black Panther is, aren't they? It basically has to be a woman though, looking at the costume reveal in the final seconds. Which means presumably Shuri, though it could also be one of the Dora Milajae.
Shuri makes the most sense

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

You didn't think that it could be M'Baku??

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kazil posted:

You didn't think that it could be M'Baku??

I think the bigger disappointment is the people hoping it might be Killmonger.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's most likely Shuri, but failing that I reckon Okoye would be a super good fit
Wild card option: Turn the Dora Milaje into a Phantom equivalent where they're ALL the Black Panther, and keep them guessing how many there actually are.

Good to see Riri/Ironheart looking like they'll have a lot of screen time as well.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Is it possible it's Nakia?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The decorations on the mask make me think it's Shuri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The LEGO sets say it's ---Shuri---.
Granted, LEGO has had misleading sets before (Iron Man 3's Mandarin's Battle Car), but they haven't had any sets that wrong in a long time.

This set in specific: https://brickset.com/article/77551/review-76214-black-panther-war-on-the-water
Uh, potential spoilers for Wakanda Forever, I guess?

Veotax fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 3, 2022