Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Hausu Usher posted:

The Invisible Man owns very hard, second only to Bride of Frankenstein for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m not familiar with a lot of the films in the criterion 80s horror collection. Any recommendations?

List here again: https://criterioncast.com/news/october-2022-programming-on-the-criterion-channel-announced

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You can't go wrong with most of them tbh. What's your type of horror?

The Hidden is a dope movie, but also:
Prince of Darkness
Henry
Near Dark
Road Games
The Blob
Lair of the White Worm

I'll stop for now since I've seen most the list and would recommend all of them lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If you like Da Goop and puppets, can't go wrong with either of the Frank Henenlotter movies there.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
watched deep red last night. they spend a good hour of the runtime on just hangin' out in the most insane apartments ive ever seen

its good

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Watched Sissy on Shudder

I am so glad I gave this a watch!

Aisha Dee is incredible

Amazing score too

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 2, 2022

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Well for Universal, my shortlist is narrowing to the Draculas, the Frankensteins, the Invisible Man, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon (anything divisive is always going to be more interesting than the choices no one has any opinion on).

checkplease posted:

I’m not familiar with a lot of the films in the criterion 80s horror collection. Any recommendations?

List here again: https://criterioncast.com/news/october-2022-programming-on-the-criterion-channel-announced

This was going to be my next post as well. I've seen about half the list.

I've seen these (strongest five recommendations are bolded):
-Dead & Buried, Gary Sherman, 1981 (I don't remember a drat thing)
-The Funhouse, Tobe Hooper, 1981 (meh)
-Scanners, David Cronenberg, 1981 (worth seeing but more iconic for the exploding heads and early Cronenberg goop than "good" per se)
-Basket Case, Frank Henenlotter, 1982 (quality Henenlotter schlock)
-Q: The Winged Serpent, Larry Cohen, 1982 (just saw this last night, review pending in October challenge thread!)
-The Hunger, Tony Scott, 1983* (this isn't available until November 1st though)
-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, John McNaughton, 1986 (absolutely brutal)
-The Hidden, Jack Sholder, 1987 (memory is fuzzy here)
-Prince of Darkness, John Carpenter, 1987 (eighties Carpenter, nuff said)
-Near Dark, Kathryn Bigelow, 1987 (revisited this last October, great movie)
-The Vanishing, George Sluizer, 1988 (overrated albeit compelling)
-Brain Damage, Frank Henenlotter, 1988 (more quality Henenlotter schlock)
-The Blob, Chuck Russell, 1988 (this is how you do a loving remake!)
-Vampire’s Kiss, Robert Bierman, 1989 (Nic Cage in peak gonzo form)
-Society, Brian Yuzna, 1989 (watch this and do not read anything whatsoever about the plot)
-Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Shinya Tsukamoto, 1989 (I'd love to revisit, I remember it was a trip)

Welcoming recommendations on the ones I have NOT seen:
-Inferno, Dario Argento, 1980
-The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, Walerian Borowczyk, 1981
-The House by the Cemetery, Lucio Fulci, 1981
-Strange Behavior, Michael Laughlin, 1981
-Wolfen, Michael Wadleigh, 1981
-Road Games, Richard Franklin, 1981
-The Fan, Ed Bianchi, 1981
-Next of Kin, Tony Williams, 1982
-Cat People, Paul Schrader, 1982
-The Slumber Party Massacre, Amy Holden Jones, 1982 (I may have technically seen this drunk in a dorm room once but I retained nothing)
-The Keep, Michael Mann, 1983
-White of the Eye, Donald Cammell, 1987
-Dream Demon, Harley Cokeliss, 1988
-The Lair of the White Worm, Ken Russell, 1988

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I watched Dead and Buried for last year's challenge and liked it pretty well, I'd recommend it.

Slumber Party Massacre is fantastic if you can get through a couple of lulls.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll stop for now since I've seen most the list and would recommend all of them lol

Yeah, I’ve seen 18 of 20 and pretty much feel that way too. The only ones I really didn’t like were The Keep, which I thought was a mess, and The Slumber Party Massacre, which I’m not convinced is as feminist as people say. My top picks would be:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Prince of Darkness
The Vanishing
The Lair of the White Worm
Tetsuo: The Iron Man

I have a soft spot for The Funhouse and Brain Damage, but I don’t have them rated as highly.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

MacheteZombie posted:

You can't go wrong with most of them tbh. What's your type of horror?

The Hidden is a dope movie, but also:
Prince of Darkness
Henry
Near Dark
Road Games
The Blob
Lair of the White Worm

Thanks. I guess i was looking for standouts as I don’t think I’ll get through everything. Always too much I want to watch.

Some horrors I watched last year I enjoyed: The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, the ring, Tcm, Halloween, cronos, crawl.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

checkplease posted:

Thanks. I guess i was looking for standouts as I don’t think I’ll get through everything. Always too much I want to watch.

Some horrors I watched last year I enjoyed: The Thing, Nightmare on Elm Street, the ring, Tcm, Halloween, cronos, crawl.

I think you'll dig most of my recs and the list in general. Henry might be the big exception though, it's a heavy and bleak horror flick that follows a serial killer just living his day to day.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Watched Sissy on Shudder

I am so glad I gave this a watch!

Aisha Dee is incredible

Amazing score too

I watched it yesterday and really liked it. Great visual style, great score, and one of the more brutal kills I’ve seen in recent memory

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

I watched it yesterday and really liked it. Great visual style, great score, and one of the more brutal kills I’ve seen in recent memory

I’m curious which one you are thinking of because I was shocked at how brutal all kills were

The visual of the cliff death made my jaw drop

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

cant say I really expected this sort of exchange in 1996 without a "gross dude" or a hard-f being tossed around in Hellraiser: Bloodline. sorta pleasantly surprised because as soon as it started I was ready for this movie to already go from bad to garbage.

This movie is still bad though, the best parts are the monster designs and the kills but otherwise bad.

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 2, 2022

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I’m curious which one you are thinking of because I was shocked at how brutal all kills were

The visual of the cliff death made my jaw drop

I was thinking of the slow motion head bursting under the tire but you’re right, there’s definitely a number of brutal kills

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone watch the Interview with a Vampire series? Any good?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

worms butthole guy posted:

Anyone watch the Interview with a Vampire series? Any good?

It's weird so far. It's a sequel to the original book/movie, sort of. The theme is that the original interview never got published, so Louis reaches out 50 years later to the same interviewer to redo the interview, so it's also a reboot. The actual character of Louis is changed pretty significantly (plantation owner wouldn't work for obvious reasons).

I don't think it's GOOD so far, but it's decent enough that I'm going to continue watching. It's got "cancelled after one season" written all over it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Aw bummer. We watched scream queens season 1 again and that's still probably the best horror TV show of all time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

worms butthole guy posted:

Aw bummer. We watched scream queens season 1 again and that's still probably the best horror TV show of all time

I only ever saw the “My vagina” line on the soup

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I decided to watch Thirteen Ghosts 2001 for my first October view after the discussion here and it was cool. Cool sets, monsters and kills (though there are only 4). Horrible dialogue but the whole concept behind the house and the magic/spells stuff was pretty wild considering how nu-metal the film is.

Tony Shaloub gets points for not phoning his poo poo in.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know someone working on the other AMC Anne Rice television series filming in New Orleans, so I'm hoping that one works out well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Disposable Scud posted:

I decided to watch Thirteen Ghosts 2001 for my first October view after the discussion here and it was cool. Cool sets, monsters and kills (though there are only 4). Horrible dialogue but the whole concept behind the house and the magic/spells stuff was pretty wild considering how nu-metal the film is.

Tony Shaloub gets points for not phoning his poo poo in.

That movie is EXTREMELY terrifying as a homeowner. Just thinking about having to clean all those windows shakes me to my very core

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I watched Hereditary so now I'm re-watching Elvira: Mistress of the Dark to raise my spirits. I love that movie so much, it's got almost Airplane!-levels of rapid-fire jokes while having a slightly straighter narrative, and Elvira kicks so much rear end.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just saw Smile and have very mixed feelings. Some of it is done very well (particularly some of the designs and effects towards the end) but it could have done more plus it’s also part of that genre where a person constantly reacts to a situation in the worst way possible which got frustrating after a while.

Mostly though I think it got off of the wrong foot pretty badly when I saw the main character owned an adorable cat. It was an incredibly cheap and unpleasant way to build tension and one that is increasingly becoming a deal breaker for me. The nanosecond I saw the cat I knew exactly where the movie was going and I distinctly remember thinking to myself that were this not a theater I’d have stopped the movie and watched something else right then and there.

And to contribute to pets in horror talk yes, it’s distinctly different to kill a pet vs a person. It can be done well but usually isn’t and due to the unique way people relate to their pets the result is upsetting rather than simply exciting or scary. I consider it a lot like a jump scare (which Smile also had a problem with) yeah, of course you can upset me by showing me a dead cat the same way you can startle me with a loud sound but neither demonstrates any real skill on the part of the filmmaker’s part.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing that would have improved Smile in my opinion despite overall liking it was right at the end, instead of mindlessly screaming at the monster that she'd seen before and was already familiar with, she should have been shouting at the police officer ex-bf to NOT come in and just let things happen, only for him to not heed her warning due to hubris. That way she would have done everything she could to defeat it only for the failure to feel more inevitable. I did like that fakeout though as it felt very 1408.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the scene in House That Jack Built where he speeds off in his van escaping with the corpse dragging behind while Bowie's "fame" plays is honestly up there with I Saw The Devil as the most tar black comedy. Prob one of my fav pairings of a popular song in a horror movie (the GOAT being Freebird in Rejects)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have guests this coming weekend, what horror movies should I show them that are not really intense horror movies and are kind of mild because neither of them like horror movies. I was thinking of stuff like Silver Bullet , that sort of thing.

Kvlt! posted:

the scene in House That Jack Built where he speeds off in his van escaping with the corpse dragging behind while Bowie's "fame" plays is honestly up there with I Saw The Devil as the most tar black comedy. Prob one of my fav pairings of a popular song in a horror movie (the GOAT being Freebird in Rejects)

I thought the House that Jack Built was absolutely hilarious. Like I just really enjoyed the pitch black humor that was in it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hollismason posted:

I have guests this coming weekend, what horror movies should I show them that are not really intense horror movies and are kind of mild because neither of them like horror movies. I was thinking of stuff like Silver Bullet , that sort of thing.

Tremors or other creature features with a pleasant cast and vibe. I remember the first Lake Placid was quite nice in that way, too. Arachnophobia, maybe.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dorium posted:

cant say I really expected this sort of exchange in 1996 without a "gross dude" or a hard-f being tossed around in Hellraiser: Bloodline. sorta pleasantly surprised because as soon as it started I was ready for this movie to already go from bad to garbage.

This movie is still bad though, the best parts are the monster designs and the kills but otherwise bad.
Funny enough, modern acceptance of trans folks has not been a straight line. Renee Richards, a trans tennis player, had a lovely time but did have a judge basically go, "Yeah, she's a lady now." The idea in the late 20th Century that if you "got the surgery" then you were a woman wasn't as uncommon as you'd think. I mean don't get me wrong, it's still an imperfect mindset and nevermind trans dudes and non-binary people in the conversation or how our gender identity was connected to if dudes would or would not gently caress us, but in SOME ways it was better than modern bigots.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

Well for Universal, my shortlist is narrowing to the Draculas, the Frankensteins, the Invisible Man, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon (anything divisive is always going to be more interesting than the choices no one has any opinion on).

Don't avoid The Old Dark House! That's one of my faves.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I thought the House that Jack Built was absolutely hilarious. Like I just really enjoyed the pitch black humor that was in it.

I was won over when he followed up a montage of historical dictators, madmen and genocides with a montage of previous Lars von Trier films.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Grendels Dad posted:

Tremors or other creature features with a pleasant cast and vibe. I remember the first Lake Placid was quite nice in that way, too. Arachnophobia, maybe.

Tremors and Lake Placid along with Arachnophobia is a really good suggestion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

God, I need to rewatch Tremors. One of those movies made by the little things. Like counting how many things get knocked over or dropped early in the movie, just to set that up.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I gotta do a whole write up for the challenge thread but I just finished Bring it On: Cheer or Die and oh my god it sucks so bad. So, so bad, like worst movie I’ve seen that I didn’t have a moral objection to all year. It’s the kind of movie where down the road someone involved is going to claim they were intentionally trying to make something lovely, like a Sharknado, but they will be LYING.

The best part of the whole movie is the behind the scenes cheer practice that rolls during the credits, it has more energy and life than anything that actually made the film.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Kvlt! posted:

Big fan of “Love Hurts” in Halloween 2 here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was also in Halloween 1 as well

House that Jack built is great lmao

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

After watching Final Destination 4 yesterday, it has a great needledrop of Why Can't We Be Friends while a klansman gets dragged behind a truck after trying to burn a cross. It's so on-the-nose but it got a solid giggle out of me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the only dog death I’m okay with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSH_riW7V8s

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ima pull a classic CP here

"actually all dog death is cool and good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that my classic? Idk I keep trying to change myself up all the time so I lose track on what I used to do lmao