Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I was on Brad Dourif’s IMDb page and saw WWE credits. Why was Chucky on WWE last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was on Brad Dourif’s IMDb page and saw WWE credits. Why was Chucky on WWE last year?

Showed up on NXT to promote his TV show and talk about Halloween Havoc as cross-promotion. Didn't even confront Bronn about his established rivalry with his family. Celebrities these days have no respect for the business.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How do consummate jobbers make a career in wrestling? Been thinking about someone like Stalker/Konomama Ichikawa from DG who never goes more than a minute in singles matches and almost always takes the pin in multimans. Are they getting paid enough in relation to the workers who work regular-length matches? Are they dojo coaches or something? (Not a knock on Ichikawa, he's very good at what he does, and he's been doing it for long time). Can you just tell the office "I want to be a jobber for the entirety of my career" and they'll just make it work for you?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In WWF atleast, people like brawler had backstage positions as well as coming in to get beat up on. I assume local jobber 1044 isnt full time wrestling and has a day job.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Which wrestler's (or person involved in the wrestling business) life story would make the best biopic if it were to be true to life any not WWE revisionist garbage? Shawn Michaels? Herb Abrams? William Regal? Vince McMahon?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which wrestler's (or person involved in the wrestling business) life story would make the best biopic if it were to be true to life any not WWE revisionist garbage? Shawn Michaels? Herb Abrams? William Regal? Vince McMahon?

Bubba the Love Sponge.

Although to do it justice you need to make two versions one that is true to life and one that is exactly the way Bubba would tell it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Dynamite Kid.

A complete monster and piece of poo poo and also arguably as talented as he was awful.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I like depressing stories, so Dynamite Kid.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Eddie Kingston addresses his life - netflix special.

edit: "I was born December 12th 1981 and thats when I found my first enemy. The doctor who done slapped me on the rear end and made me cry"

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 3, 2022

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I think Hulk Hogan is a fascinating human being and there's definitely a good biopic in there about a man considered the biggest deal in his field who simply cannot satiate his ego and gradually destroys his legacy.

A take on the Hardy Boyz could work due to how bizarre their stories are. Their lows reach the level of morbid humor and making it into some kind of redemption story, at least for Matt exploring the utter weirdness of the Broken stuff and making it work, could pay off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

I think Hulk Hogan is a fascinating human being and there's definitely a good biopic in there about a man considered the biggest deal in his field who simply cannot satiate his ego and gradually destroys his legacy.

A take on the Hardy Boyz could work due to how bizarre their stories are. Their lows reach the level of morbid humor and making it into some kind of redemption story, at least for Matt exploring the utter weirdness of the Broken stuff and making it work, could pay off.

Hogan is another one where you'd really need to make two movies one for the true story and one for the Hogan story.

Or maybe like 4-5 since Hogan has a few different stories.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Maybe it's because he's on my mind due to his recent death, but my mind keeps coming back to Inoki. His life and career are both insane.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan is another one where you'd really need to make two movies one for the true story and one for the Hogan story.

I would have it show what really happened, but with the contrast of Hogan reminiscing via narration.

It would also have to include that moment in court where he explained how Hulk Hogan has a bigger schlong than Terry Bollea.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Rashomon but all the narrators are Hogan on different talk shows

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Harley Race. Dude cleaned Happy Humphrey with a hose and fought random drunks in carnivals as a teenager, then became a pro wrestler and spent his adulthood getting into fights and car accidents in equal measure.

Vandar posted:

Maybe it's because he's on my mind due to his recent death, but my mind keeps coming back to Inoki. His life and career are both insane.

This too. Inoki was a goddamned madman.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Hulk Hogan movie would need to be filmed like Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gavok posted:

It would also have to include that moment in court where he explained how Hulk Hogan has a bigger schlong than Terry Bollea.

while wearing his formal bandanna, no less

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CombineThresher posted:

Harley Race. Dude cleaned Happy Humphrey with a hose and fought random drunks in carnivals as a teenager, then became a pro wrestler and spent his adulthood getting into fights and car accidents in equal measure.

Harley was arguably the last of the old-school tough guy NWA champions that toured the territories, in that nobody with even the smallest amount of sense in their head was going to try and go into business for themselves in the ring with him.

My favorite Harley story is one Mick Foley once told, back after Harley had retired from in-ring and was managing Vader in WCW. When Vader and Cactus Jack had a match somewhere in the US, Jack got busted open or broke some bone of his or something like that, and there was someone from WCW's back office (possibly a doctor, maybe an insurance claims person, something like that) who was there when Jack was being examined, and said something like "well Jack, looks like it was an accident outside the ring, so we can't cover it, tough luck", or something along those lines. And Harley, who was also in the room at the time, growled "I think you'll find it happened inside the ring." The guy protested, at which point Harley stood up, moved closer to them, and growled again, "I think you will find that it happened inside the ring." To which the guy replies with words to the effect of, "well Jack, looks like it happened in the ring, let me just get the paperwork together."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My favorite Harley story whether it's true or not is when he turned down Vince's offer to no show... one of the Starrcades I think so Vince got mad and tried to shoot on him in a bathroom.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Did Emmalina ever wrestle a match on TV?

I know they had vignettes/a promo package for her, but I don't remember her wrestling on the main roster. And I think she had different gimmicks when she was in developmental.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually a Howard Finkel biopic would be interesting cause he was there for most of the big 80's/90's stuff in wrestling, was the guy who read the Observer for Vince and despite being well liked by most people ended up getting humiliated by his bosses for no real reason. It'd be a pretty good way to rip apart alot of the mythology of the older days

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know they had vignettes/a promo package for her, but I don't remember her wrestling on the main roster. And I think she had different gimmicks when she was in developmental.

Emma had a bunch of main roster matches but she never wrestled as the Emmalina 'character'.

Boy what a waste of time that whole thing was.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gavok posted:

I would have it show what really happened, but with the contrast of Hogan reminiscing via narration.

So like 24-Hour Party People, with Hogan often addressing the audience - just throw in cameos by people who were actually there to dispute how the “facts” are presented and highlight how full of poo poo the movie is like Michael Winterbottom did.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Actually a Howard Finkel biopic would be interesting cause he was there for most of the big 80's/90's stuff in wrestling, was the guy who read the Observer for Vince and despite being well liked by most people ended up getting humiliated by his bosses for no real reason. It'd be a pretty good way to rip apart alot of the mythology of the older days

yeah if you wanted to show a WWF/E one through a lens that isn't Vince, this is a good way to frame it.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Rashomon but all the narrators are Hogan on different talk shows

lmao

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vince himself would probably be a good biopic tbh

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Rashogan

"It's human nature to lie, dude. Most of the time we can't even be honest with ourselves, brother."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

terry funk, jericho

not "best" but probably would be a great watch: paul ellering, aj styles, furnas & kroffat

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

BrigadierSensible posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzAoLT2GPcc&t=42s

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

i know it means "reads the Observer & tells Vince anything important carried within" but for a hot second I was imagining Vince sitting at his desk while Finkel sits across from him, reading Observer reports out loud in his ring announcer voice. "FIIIIIVE STARS!"

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

oldskool posted:

i know it means "reads the Observer & tells Vince anything important carried within" but for a hot second I was imagining Vince sitting at his desk while Finkel sits across from him, reading Observer reports out loud in his ring announcer voice. "FIIIIIVE STARS!"

see i was picturing vince in his jammies and a pointed hat tucked into bed while the fink reads the observer in a voice that is half whisper half his announcer voice

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Harley was arguably the last of the old-school tough guy NWA champions that toured the territories, in that nobody with even the smallest amount of sense in their head was going to try and go into business for themselves in the ring with him.

Similarly, I'd love to see a Wahoo McDaniel biopic because he was also an insanely tough motherfucker and crazy person who did things like drink a quart of motor oil because someone dared him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CombineThresher posted:

Similarly, I'd love to see a Wahoo McDaniel biopic because he was also an insanely tough motherfucker and crazy person who did things like drink a quart of motor oil because someone dared him.

I think it was Larry Cszonka, aka MST3K fans' favorite football player, who once said that the hardest he'd ever been hit on a football field was when Wahoo tackled him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think it was Larry Cszonka, aka MST3K fans' favorite football player, who once said that the hardest he'd ever been hit on a football field was when Wahoo tackled him.

My barber as a kid used to do lady wrestlers' hair back in the 70s and interacted with Wahoo quite a bit - apparently he was a really nice guy unless you were stupid enough to start poo poo with him. He also chopped people in barfights.

edit: Len Dawson said that Wahoo hit him the hardest in football, but Joe Namath and Larry Csonka also have stories about him.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 3, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Gavok posted:

Hulk and Bollea as completely different actors complete with conversations between each other Fight Club style except it's not a twist and everyone knows he's nuts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah, Wahoo was the one who took Larry's breath away!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Whats the worst archetype to have in wrestling if you aspire to be consistently at the top of the card during your tenure?

I'd like to put forward "monster hoss" as worst. Your miros, brian cage, wardlows, strowmans, big show, archers, khali, kane, big daddy v, etc, etc. I think the only monster hosses to basically get to sit at or near the top for a long stretch where Taker and Andre. I wasnt around for Andre, but for Taker I'd argue he never really felt like a true unbeatable force of nature even though his matches where kinda setup that way. Maybe its because Austin kept getting one over him? You'll probably make it to the top at least once, but your longevity up there is limited.

The problem comes from "and then what" you bring in a monster hoss and they beat up everyone and everything and eventually they may even get the world title, then eventually someone has to slay them. Regardless of if its a plucky underdog or a hoss hero, eventually you beat the monster, and only a truly shortsighted business literally builds one dude so the monster gets relegated to the "oh ho ho ho how will they possibly eliminate this monster?*monster gets eliminated*"" Rarely do monsters survive this to get pushed to the top again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you want to be at the top of the card I reckon the worst thing to be is a “comedy jobber”

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

Whats the worst archetype to have in wrestling if you aspire to be consistently at the top of the card during your tenure?

I'd like to put forward "monster hoss" as worst. Your miros, brian cage, wardlows, strowmans, big show, archers, khali, kane, big daddy v, etc, etc. I think the only monster hosses to basically get to sit at or near the top for a long stretch where Taker and Andre. I wasnt around for Andre, but for Taker I'd argue he never really felt like a true unbeatable force of nature even though his matches where kinda setup that way. Maybe its because Austin kept getting one over him? You'll probably make it to the top at least once, but your longevity up there is limited.

The problem comes from "and then what" you bring in a monster hoss and they beat up everyone and everything and eventually they may even get the world title, then eventually someone has to slay them. Regardless of if its a plucky underdog or a hoss hero, eventually you beat the monster, and only a truly shortsighted business literally builds one dude so the monster gets relegated to the "oh ho ho ho how will they possibly eliminate this monster?*monster gets eliminated*"" Rarely do monsters survive this to get pushed to the top again.

Monster Hoss is fine when there are multiple places to work and you can work short programs in all of them like Bruiser Brody and Abdullah did. In the current wrestling landscape, yeah it's much trickier to keep them interesting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you want to be at the top of the card I reckon the worst thing to be is a “comedy jobber”

I could be wrong, but are there actual professional jobbers? Like people who go into wrestling and say to themselves "I'm gonna do comedy and get pinned every day" and its not like a thing they fall into? Like Cassidy, Cabana, Honky, Santino, et al have lengthy stays at the top or upper midcard.

Did brawler dream of ever being champ?

EDIT: No the Job Squad was a gimmick, and meanie got a pin on JBL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Defenestrategy posted:

I could be wrong, but are there actual professional jobbers? Like people who go into wrestling and say to themselves "I'm gonna do comedy and get pinned every day" and its not like a thing they fall into? Like Cassidy, Cabana, Honky, Santino, et al have lengthy stays at the top or upper midcard.

Did brawler dream of ever being champ?

EDIT: No the Job Squad was a gimmick, and meanie got a pin on JBL.

I don't know if anyone decides they want to be a professional jobber, but once you fall into it and realize you can make money for doing like an 1/8 of the work that may be enough for some people? Danhausen probably understands his ceiling but started out as a more serious wrestler before transitioning fully into the character. Now he does comedy, gets to do this character he (I assume) loves, takes fewer bumps, and probably makes a good chunk of money on merch sales because he has a well-defined character with a devoted fanbase.