Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i also wonder what the expense per student looks like, and how much of the expense is education related and how much is social service. if things like extra campus security, free or reduced price meals, transportation, etc. are funded through the listed per student funding, poorer districts are generally going to be spending a larger proportion of the per person funding on things other than teachers, counselors, extra-curriculars, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Official funding is only one piece of the puzzle.

Rich schools can much more effectively solicit donations because the parents have money to donate in furtherance of their kids' education, and also you're more likely to be a guy or know a guy who would like a sweet tax deduction for the retail value of a bunch of fancy poo poo you pay wholesale for.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

7% funding difference between the richest and poorest districts doesn’t seem like much, and surely isn’t enough to affect the outcomes that much

The literal study posted:

Across the country, the highest poverty districts receive about
$1,000, or 7 percent, less per pupil in state and local funding than
the lowest poverty districts.

These gaps add up, and there is evidence that closing them can
have a lasting impact on student achievement.12 For example, in
a district with 5,000 students, that gap means nearly $5 million in
missing resources.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
$1000 buys a lot of pencils.

And GDPR violating computers.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah my wife’s school and mine were a mile apart when we were teaching but we like to joke Mine was in Pawnee and hers was in Eagleton. My neighborhood was the 50 year old houses that were rented out and hers were new McMansions. Our extra fundraising goal in private donations was $15k and it was a Miracle if we made it. Her schools was $100k and they easily made it every year. Our back to school week usually had 1-3 mayonnaise based casseroles each day brought by parents. Her school back to school week was catered by a different chain like Chipotle or Noodles each night. There’s a lot of shadow funding from parents.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Also "the funding is even in some states" is massively silly because nominally even isn't the same thing as equitable.

For the same reason that flat taxes are dumb as gently caress, funding for education needs to be progressive, not equal.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Another thing about rich schools is that the kids' parents are more likely to have flexible hours or even a full-time stay at home parent so they have more-active PTAs and a larger pool of volunteers

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

silence_kit posted:

You correctly identified earlier that in the US system of government, school funding is mainly provided at the local and state level. So it makes a lot more sense to look at it from a state level,

Do NOT try to put words in my mouth.

School funding that I know is on the COUNTY level. It makes absolutely no sense at all to look at it from the state level. That would be a completely stupid way to look at it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Motronic posted:

Do NOT try to put words in my mouth.

School funding that I know is on the COUNTY level. It makes absolutely no sense at all to look at it from the state level. That would be a completely stupid way to look at it.

Check out the plot on page 8 of the linked source. It looks like in about 1/2 of US states over half of school funding comes from the state level.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Deuce posted:

Are they adding a loving propeller because how the gently caress does he think it’s gonna move or steer.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/744551674082136066

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The additional $ for poor students are insufficient because they come nowhere near matching the home income disparities they are trying to paper over.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:pseudo:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

loving beautiful mate

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

:five:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Tesla can also function as a bonfire, briefly. So versatile.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It must be a special kind of hell to be in Tesla's legal department

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xand_Man posted:

It must be a special kind of hell to be in Tesla's legal department

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1527774704018280448?lang=en

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Foxfire_ posted:

Is the automatic lifecycle deletion fast enough to purge everything within the time limit for a deletion request? Does anyone ever actually explicitly ask for deletion in practice? What do you do with linked records? Like do you have "Teacher X's 2021 class was these 20 kids" records that need to get kids purged out of them or do those not exist to begin with?

Your backups sound fancy. I'm used to whole database ones where you would revert everything to an old state instead of being set up to easily cherry pick records (+ if the current server caught fire and you have none of it, how do you identify students that were right-erase'ed between the most recent backup and now?)

Can't speak for the OLAT people, but we just don't keep a lot of data in the first place. There are records that we need to keep regardless, just like you can't demand a company strike you from their financial records.

There's nothing fancy about it. "Can I resolve this ID to a user? No? Then we won't need this anymore". We primarily store user profiles, mails, print accounting records (for a month).

And no, I haven't seen a deletion request. Though I guess it's implied when people leave our org.

What I wish a student would do is an information request. We know where everything is and can service it, but I know for a fact that the org at large does not. So I could lean back and eat popcorn (smugly, because I told them this was important).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

withak posted:

Seems like "don't fly into power lines" should be a basic function of all drones.
if $OBJECT would crash
then;
#DONT

Bing bang bong, so simple

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Code is Flaw.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find it bizarre that there are people in this thread who think the only options are "give all your data to a US bigcorp" or "don't have computers". That Danish school system would have been fine with the "one guy running an Active Directory system with a single server rack" solution that my bumfuck nowhere high school had in the pre-Google days.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Roadie posted:

I find it bizarre that there are people in this thread who think the only options are "give all your data to a US bigcorp" or "don't have computers". That Danish school system would have been fine with the "one guy running an Active Directory system with a single server rack" solution that my bumfuck nowhere high school had in the pre-Google days.

"One guy running AD on a single server" doesn't cover giving hardware to students, though.
And I imagine selling your soul to google comes with additional e-learning perks like collaboration platforms and whatnot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get the privacy concerns but chromebooks are a good fit for schools tbh.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Vegetable posted:

I get the privacy concerns but chromebooks are a good fit for schools tbh.

If there are privacy concerns then they are not a good fit for schools.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Linux! Linux! Linux! :getin: :monkeypaw:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite or similar would be a decent fit for something like this, but they're not quite fully baked yet. Immutable filesystem and no package management means they're hard for end users to break and there's no data harvesting happening by default.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If Google wants the benefits that come from being a required purchase for entire swathes of school districts they can afford to set the system up to comply with privacy laws. It's really that simple.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think it's reasonable to expect that a nation state would allocate the resources to run an e-learning system for its students that doesn't leak PII like a sieve, tbh.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If Google wants the benefits that come from being a required purchase for entire swathes of school districts they can afford to set the system up to comply with privacy laws. It's really that simple.

Google can gently caress off, there is no reason to trust them to do anything right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not saying telling Google to gently caress off isn't also an option. :shrug:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mister Facetious posted:

Chromebook! Oh wait no!!!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Linux is a good choice if you have an IT staff with chops in Linux development which is something a lot of school districts do not have. But I'd say Android tablets would be the best hardware/software solution. You can use custom firmware to lock the things down and there's plenty of vetted apps that won't steal your personal information.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tuxedo Gin posted:

7% funding difference (about $1000, they say,per student) is significant. In a school of 500 students that is half a million dollars. That is the salary for 5~8 teachers. That could have a huge impact on student-teacher ratios.

Or, that could fund an art or music program for a year. Or an after school program that gives students a safe and supportive place to study and play rather than returning home probably alone or hangin out on the street.

7% doesn't seem like it would be a lot, but when most schools are running on completely slashed budgets as it is, it could make a huge difference.

It's also going to put huge pressure on maintenance budgets. Rooms don't get cleaned as often, burned out lightbulbs aren't replaced promptly, the place never gets new paint, and that's just the little stuff. The poor students are learning in squalor, the rich students get brightly lit, clean, and attractive classrooms. If you're trying to keep at-risk students in the educational system, soft factors like that make a real difference in outcomes.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Linux is a good choice if you have an IT staff with chops in Linux development which is something a lot of school districts do not have. But I'd say Android tablets would be the best hardware/software solution. You can use custom firmware to lock the things down and there's plenty of vetted apps that won't steal your personal information.

Android tablets are the worst hardware/software solution for anything. Every commercially available Android tablet would require Google Play services in order to be usable and is thus ultimately under the thumb of Google. Any AOSP fork would require some kind of organization to manage it, so instead of a custom Android distribution they might as well go with a custom Linux distribution with a web browser pre-installed, centralized updates and limited ability to gently caress with it, which is basically a Chromebook only without the Google part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Google's whole deal is a wide ecosystem of poo poo that's basically very functional, and exceptionally cheap monetarily because you will pay in monetizable data rather than currency.

It's not a good fit for schools, for this reason, but the end result is that all the alternatives are going to be a lot more expensive. Someone will get paid for the expense involved, somehow.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

A school full of steam decks, you say?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Freakazoid_ posted:

Guys it's fine, we can just give them all a OLPC right? The poor ones can update their packages via hand crank.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

This is the American education system, that's too expensive.

*Monkeys paw finger curls*

Raspberry Pi's 😈

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
What's wrong with those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kyte posted: