Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

probably pulled his googles up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the yellow filter that the cameraman puts on around 0:43?

VATS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chalks posted:

More on the rumoured Kherson breakthrough

Extremely impressive for the Ukrainians to launch another offensive in a different theater immediately after capturing Lyman. Let's see how far they get.

The only area that has me a bit worried is Bakhmut, it seems the Russians are making (very) slow but steady progress there? I'm not sure how close it is to falling.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One of the guys who did fight animations for the Metro video games died in combat today.

https://twitter.com/leonid_games/status/1576504412465680395?s=46&t=jleVrXQCQTocvjbBBQ7QKw

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Evening (US) update on Ukrainian advances :toot:

Note - all of this is unconfirmed or very tentatively confirmed at best. Things can change

What Russian telegram thinks Ukraine is doing
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1576697133847040000?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
What a western researcher thinks Ukraine is doing
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1576341366132854784?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1576700752730673152?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
:lol:
https://twitter.com/MC_the_Canuck/status/1576703594795274241?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Obligatory Def Mon thread
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1576635038866632704?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Selection -
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1576686842887688192?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
What is happening - note time stamps
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1576713297474162688?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/51patsfan/status/1576713446842044416?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/BarracudaVol1/status/1576717288644177920?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/BarracudaVol1/status/1576717631473999873?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Long Smart Guy Thread on why the success of the offensive may be greater than the sum of it's parts
https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1576689911478251520?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Selections:
https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1576689933011427328?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1576689966062895105?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1576689971846844416?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Weird looking new equipment
https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1576699474960793600?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
And a unique towing combination!
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1576693839842013184?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw
Fun gif
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1576706156948770817?s=20&t=ve_c1IKzqUFyob2IIdboDw

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

These timelapse gifs are the only maps I can make sense of, thanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Has anyone said mobo-hobos yet?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
So for the history books will the retreat from Kyiv be called the death knell of the Russian Federation, or this September when both of their remaining fronts collapsed like a house of soggy cards?

I thought the Kherson front would be sitting still while Ukraine consolidates the east. I'm guessing Ukraine feels they've reduced the enemy that are stuck north of the Dnipro enough to begin a similar flanking offensive. They still have ok weather, and a massive morale advantage knowing just how easily the enemy routed in the east.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

So for the history books will the retreat from Kyiv be called the death knell of the Russian Federation, or this September when both of their remaining fronts collapsed like a house of soggy cards?

I thought the Kherson front would be sitting still while Ukraine consolidates the east. I'm guessing Ukraine feels they've reduced the enemy that are stuck north of the Dnipro enough to begin a similar flanking offensive. They still have ok weather, and a massive morale advantage knowing just how easily the enemy routed in the east.

History books shall remark that the pundits of 2022 were particularly quick to rush to conclusions.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So my understanding is that Lyman itself wasn't like, a super-critical location, but that it kind of opens things up such that the next time Russia gets pushed back in the region, they don't really have other good fallbacks, and it could be another significant collapse. Is that about right?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

VATS

Free Discendo Vox

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

So my understanding is that Lyman itself wasn't like, a super-critical location, but that it kind of opens things up such that the next time Russia gets pushed back in the region, they don't really have other good fallbacks, and it could be another significant collapse. Is that about right?

Lyman was not really a part of a good defensive line, it was important to Russia because it was necessary for them to attack Sloviansk and then Kramatorsk, which is a major transport hub and the largest city in Donetsk Oblast that was not under Russian control, and which has sort of been the military capital of northern Donetsk since 2014.

Russia has a single good natural defensive line left that covers their flank in northern Luhansk Oblast, that follows the rivers Duvanka, Krasna and Siverskyi Donets. This is the line through Svatove and Kreminna. Which is why news of Ukrainian forces attacking those areas is very significant. I would assume that the line is now heavily reinforced with whatever the Russians could scrounge up.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So when Russians retreat from a town like Lyman who actually gives the order for that? Like I'm guessing whatever group of soldiers was in the town has a commanding officer and they give the order but is it an order that they need to get approved from whoever their superior is? And how high up the chain does an order like that go? I'm guessing not all the way up to Putin because I doubt he would approve it but maybe it goes up to Shoigu? And then he has to explain it to Putin?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Charliegrs posted:

So when Russians retreat from a town like Lyman who actually gives the order for that? Like I'm guessing whatever group of soldiers was in the town has a commanding officer and they give the order but is it an order that they need to get approved from whoever their superior is? And how high up the chain does an order like that go? I'm guessing not all the way up to Putin because I doubt he would approve it but maybe it goes up to Shoigu? And then he has to explain it to Putin?

The answer is "it depends." Sometimes people run away on their own without orders because they're scared enough to not give af about orders. Other times it's done as part of a plan from higher hq.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Orthanc6 posted:

I'll paraphrase Tim Snyder who once said that America and Russia have lost most of their wars since WWII. Losing in Ukraine does not necessarily entail the end of Russia.

Regarding future offensives, I don't like to predict anything beyond a week at a time. My crystal ball has been broken since the start of the war.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It won't be the end of Russia but it could precipitate real change, for better or worse.

Last time the Soviet Union lost a large war (Afghanistan) it had a pretty direct effect on its collapse.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

RockWhisperer posted:

I'll paraphrase Tim Snyder who once said that America and Russia have lost most of their wars since WWII. Losing in Ukraine does not necessarily entail the end of Russia.

Regarding future offensives, I don't like to predict anything beyond a week at a time. My crystal ball has been broken since the start of the war.

America has never had a military defeat in a peer on peer war like this since the battle of the bulge.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Pook Good Mook posted:

America has never had a military defeat in a peer on peer war like this since the battle of the bulge.

I don’t know about “peer”, but the US suffered some serious conventional defeats in the Korean War too

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pook Good Mook posted:

The battle of the bulge wasn't a military defeat for the Allies? You might be thinking of Operation Market Garden

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

america got its rear end handed to it a few times in korea

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The right answer is the initial Chinese offensive in Korea, mostly because MacArthur was a deeply fraudulent gently caress with an rear end kissing trash man as his G2.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sean10mm posted:

The right answer is the initial Chinese offensive in Korea, mostly because MacArthur was a deeply fraudulent gently caress with an rear end kissing trash man as his G2.

Also the US army ended up having to completely re-invent the wheel between WW2 and Korea because everyone was a raw recruit/fresh West Point graduate with almost no WW2 veterans in leadership roles. The reasons why are complicated and not worthy of a derail

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I can't seem to find any maps of Ukraine that showed the areas the rebels controlled in the LPR/DPR prior to the Russian invasion. Do the Russians and their allies currently control more area than that now after the "annexations"?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The ISW maps always show the 2014 borders.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian.

:ukraine:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Orthanc6 posted:

It isn't really a flank. They are simply attacking down the main road that runs along the Dnipro. The road runs over some sort of dam/levy which splits Dudchany so if the Russians got pushed back hard it's the logical place to try and regroup the water obstacle will provide decent protection.

The view the Ukrainians will have along that route at Dudchany if the Russians pulled back to the far bank.

A natural place for the Russians to try and make a stand.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are plenty of people who trawl through Russian political talk shows for juicy soundbites, so this weekend I decided to do something different. According to polls, despite high support of the war in Russia, people pay less and less attention to it, so no matter how outrageous the soundbites are, they don't seem to directly form people's opinions. I keep harping on about it, but the main purpose of Russian propaganda is to make people confused and indifferent rather than convert them to radical patriotism. With that in mind, I wanted to see what a regular Russian, who is 'not interested in politics' sees on TV. For that, on Saturday and Sunday, I've been watching the three big Russian TV channels: Channel 1, Russia-1, and NTV, skipping all news programmes and political talk shows.

Introduction

Let's start with introducing the three channels. I'll give some background on who owns them, what type of content they are known for, and who's the audience.
-Channel 1. The main state-owned channel that probably has the most iconic entertainment programming on Russian television. It's supposed to be like Russian BBC, and until very recently there was some leeway in hiring people who are at least nominally critical to Putin (like the late night show host Ivan Urgant, or the politician/socialite/interviewer/daughter of Putin's ex-boss Ksenia Sobchak who used to host some talk shows there, not to mention countless talent shows judges and guests). Since Feb 24, they've increased the amount of political programming, but apart from Urgant's late night show, all the popular entertainment shows are still there. In terms of propaganda, it's probably the weakest one, you don't see many clips on twitter from their Time Will Tell. This is also the channel where Maria Ovsyannikova staged an anti-war protest during a live broadcast. The audience of the channel leans middle-aged compared to Russia-1.
- Russia-1. The more boring state-owned channel. Their entertainment programming is heavy on nostalgia (let's sing old Soviet songs together, let's reminisce about this one actor from 40 years ago, etc.). It's also home for a huge amount of made-for-TV romantic dramas that are often period pieces. This is also where the craziest clips come from (Soloviev, Skabeeva, Kiselev all work here). The core audience is the elderly, especially women.
- NTV. This channel used to be controlled by the oligarch Vladimir Gusinsky, who was extremely critical of Putin. Didn't take long until Putin made the Gusinsky go away, and give the channel to Gazprom Media (the holding that also used to own Echo of Moscow, a token opposition radio station). Since the change of the owner, the channel still tries to mimic its old identity of a more hip and edgy channel with varying degrees of success. For one, the channel is still home to an insane amount of by-the-book 'cops and bandits' TV shows. Its propaganda shows also try to have a more pronounced veneer of professionalism and even-handedness to them, and the token anti-war guests are allowed to speak for extra 10 seconds before being called traitors compared to other channels. The audience is probably the most balanced age-wise among the three.

Things in common

Despite different audiences, there were some things common across all channels:
- Talent shows, especially singing competitions are a must. Russian versions of The Voice on Channel 1, All Together Now on Russia-1, Masked Singer on NTV (although it was recently swapped for an 'original' show called Avatar where instead of costumes it's vtuber-like avatars on stage, not sure if they had licensing issues or what), and many other international format and original shows still air seemingly without any changes. They also don't shy away from using foreign songs or songs by problematic Russian artists. On the same channel in a span of an hour you could hear someone bemoaning Western values and treacherous artists who fled Russia, and someone else heaping praises on Lady Gaga and Alla Pugacjeva. Definitely no Donbass special of Strictly Come Dancing.
- Apart from occasional adverts for political shows, there is very little in terms of reminding people that there's a war happening or that Russia is supposed to be bigger now. An eagle-eyed viewer may notice that banking ads focus on how their plastic cards still work (even the contactless payment!), or that McDonald's is now called something else, or that various social networks advertise features that are similar to Instagram, or that more streaming services advertise on TV now, you get the idea. Some ads indirectly mention 'hard times' or 'uncertainty', but never explicitly mention what caused those. There are no charity appeals for Novorossia refugees, no PSAs about new territories, just the usual commercial advertising.
- There are no more Western movies and TV shows. Way back when, Channel 1 introduced Russians to ALF, X-Files, Lost, and Pokemon for the kids, Russia-1 aired everything from Friends to Twin Peaks, and Disney Saturday morning cartoons, while NTV had a plethora of classic TV shows like ER or Tales from the Crypt. As time went on, they started to rely more and more on Russian TV shows, but not long before Feb 24, there were still some foreign movies at least on Channel 1 and NTV. Even they seem to be gone now. Basically, the only foreign content you get now is when Soloviev shows snippets from Tucker Carlson.
- Morning shows. Apart from the news segments, they are as vapid as usual. Here's a cool salad recipe, here's a story about a bear cub at a local zoo, here's a lifehack how to save money on coffee. If there are mentions of any economic issues, they are light-hearted, and hosts don't dwell on them. I might have missed something here, though, because I don't wake up at 5 in the morning.

Distinctive features

Here I'm going to go into more detail on specific shows, and how they changed because of the war and recent annexations.

Channel 1.
As I mentioned, Channel 1 has some of the most iconic and long running shows. Some highlights:
- Umnitsy and Umniki (Clever Girls and Boys). It's a history knowledge-based competition among school kids for a chance to be accepted without exams to MGIMO, the most prestigious Russian institute of higher education. It's in its 30th season or so and the format is still largely the same. Every episode has its own theme and this time it was Peter the Great. I don't know if they have any Ancient Greek or French themed episodes nowadays or it's all about Russia, but compared to what I saw of this show as a child, it looked like a completely regular episode on Peter the Great. No direct mentions of the war in Ukraine, but it would be easy to read something into discussions of the Great Northern War, and Peter's accomplishments as the first Emperor of Russia. To sum up, not clear if anything changed here.
- Slovo Pastyria (The Word of the Shepherd). Straight-up a 'homily' by the Russian Orthodox Patriarch Cyril, where he extensively talks about the enemies of the glorious motherland and how fighting in a war abroad is actually a sign of real Christian virtue. It wasn't like this 10 years ago, but gradually morphed into what it is now. An obvious change here, but then it hardly qualifies as entertainment. Not the most popular programme.
- Neputiovye Zametki (Off the Rail Travelogues). A slightly humorous travel show. 10 years ago, the host actually travelled abroad, now he talks over stock footage of Russian tourist destinations. This episode was about Kuzbass, a mining region in Kemerovo oblast'. Very unlike what I remember, high on pathos and over the top patriotism. Looks like he's been doing exclusively Russia for a while now, and there were no mentions of the war or new territories.
- Videli Video (Saw a Video). A show where a panel of celebrities react to viral animal videos, and the owners are invited with their pets as guests. It's a relatively new show, and just what you would expect from a TV show about the internet. The only obvious change is that the owners don't get to plug their insta accounts anymore. No guests from new territories, no videos of military dogs. Heh, a funny cat.
- Soviet movies. As noted above, there are no more American or foreign movies, and instead they showed a several Soviet classics. One of the originally black-and-white films was shown in colour and what felt like an increased framerate. Not sure I liked it. What's notable is that they are not war movies about the Great Patriotic War or anything like that.
- Klub Veselykh i Nakhodchivykh (Club of the Fun and the Witty). The oldest comedy show on Russian TV. It's sort of a talent show where teams of amateur comedians compete throughout football-like seasons, showing off sketches, musical comedy, improv, etc. The show is notable because comedy industry in Russia is controlled almost exclusively by KVN alumni. Maybe there was a couple of indirect jokes about sanctions, but mostly just the usual observational comedy, parodies, jokes about the teams' hometowns, etc. The only notable thing about it was a passing and completely neutral mention of Ivan Urgant whose show on Channel 1 was quietly cancelled for his also not very loud anti-war position. No discernible changes whatsoever, unless I start overanalysing who were on the panel of judges this time. Can't remember a single funny joke.

Russia-1
The channel for babushkas. Even on weekends its schedule is chokeful of political talk shows. Here's what I stomached to watch:
- Sto k Odnomu (1 to 100). It's Family Feud. They are just airing reruns now, which may or may not mean anything. You can even catch a mention of instagram, or references to military service as fun times with friends. Nobody even cares enough to review an old episode before airing it.
- Bomba (The Bomb). One of the staple romantic period dramas. Set in the late 40s in the Sarov Orthodox monastery turned gulag cum research lab, it follows scientists who work on the Soviet nuclear bomb, female gulag prisoners who just try to survive, and NKVD officers and party officials watching over everyone. Filmed in 2020, the series was sponsored by Rosatom, so they got to film on location and show off a bunch of real equipment. The way Stalin-era repressions are portrayed in modern Russian cinema is always confusing. In this particular show, Beria is the main villain who threw the main male character and his love interest in gulag on trumped-up charges, but later freed the guy to work on the bomb. Everyone is a smug atheist, but extremely fascinated by the religious significance and beauty of the place, and occasionally, gasp, pray to God and Saint Seraphim of Sarov for help in creating a nuke. Everyone is miserable, as the party tries to get the bomb ahead of schedule disregarding simple safety protocols, but brave scientists persevere regardless. At the end of each episodes there are snippets of interviews with people who actually worked in Sarov (judging by their age, in the 60s, not in the 40s), where they share memories vaguely related to the plot, and it's always about how much fun they had, and how despite some inconveniences they were happy to serve the country. This is, I guess, the main thrust of the show that uses it's historical setting mostly for interpersonal drama rather that to reflect on the repressive system. No matter how bad your country treats you, you must serve the country and be happy about it. Again, the show is from 2020, so no real change here, just indicative of how Russian history's more troubling pages are being portrayed nowadays and how it echos Putin's ramblings on the unbroken history of Russia from Kyivan Rus to Moscow Kingdom to Russian Empire to USSR to modern Russia. 5 hours of the show on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday, the entire series in just two days.
- Privet, Andrei! (Hello, Andrei!). This is one of the nostalgia shows I mentioned. The host, Andrei Malakhov, used to work on Channel 1 where he hosted one of those shouty talk shows about who cheated on whom, got pregnant, ate the baby, and what celebrity experts think about it. A Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springer type of thing. Then he moved to Russia-1, where he branched out into nostalgia fodder shows. The format is he and a bunch of celebrities of varying relevancy remember good old times and sing songs from their youth. This episode was about 'fall love songs' and was deeply unremarkable. Malakhov, though, still has his regular talk show that airs on Mondays, so I haven't seen it, but the next episode is about a Donetsk woman who cares for a dozen of orphans (a huge departure from his regular format, and very topical).
- Pesni ot Vsei Dushi (Songs from the Heart). I honestly can't tell what's the difference between this one and the one above. The same host, often the same guests. I guess they sing more in this one.

NTV
I'd say NTV's changed the most, but in some weird ways.
- Cops and bandits shows. They are completely interchangeable, so I'm not going to detail any one in particular. There are basically two types: the one where the police just do their job, maybe occasionally bending the rules (think everything between The Thin Blue Line and CSI) and the one where the main character is an ex-cop and violently takes on the entire mafia and maybe even corrupt officials (think extremely low-budget Rambo knock-offs). Without going full media criticism on what is a fairly universal genre, they are always very clear-cut bad guys versus good guys shows. I couldn't notice any more patriotism or bootlicking in them. No special episodes about cowardly anti-war protesters, no Ukrainian nazi villains.
- Celebrity gossip talk shows. Again, very interchangeable, often about relatives of a dead celebrity fighting for the inheritance or celebrities confiding about their hardships. This weeks was interesting because one of the first and the most prominent openly (as open as you can be in Russia) gay artists, Boris Moiseev, died. Well, he's actually from Belarus, but for some reason there was nothing at all on Belarusian TV about the death of a famous countryman. Anyway, he died when he died before his 69th birthday, so there was a rerun of an old show with him, where he could barely speak after a stroke and his 'best friend' answered questions for him. Then there was the inheritance talk show, where everyone carefully danced around the reason why he never married.
- Za Gran'yu (Beyond the Pale). A shouty talk show that inexplicably airs before 5 PM. The host is Sergey Sosedov, an openly gay showbiz critic. This episode was about a guy afflicted with an enormous penis. I'll be honest, didn't watch it, as I very much doubt they could make it about Donbass somehow. Garbage television, practically literal freak show. Like, as Russians, out of respect for Russian dead soldiers, who fought to liberate Ukraine from Ukrainians on Putin's orders, you'd expect from NTV at least not to air something so utterly trashy on the same week as the historical annexation happened, but nah. Lol, his dick is huge he can't walk normal, lmao.
- Sledstvie veli (They Conducted the Investigation). Hosted by an elderly actor famous for his role of a detective in an old Soviet TV series, this show recounts the most gruesome crimes of the Soviet era (and early 90s). It features dramatised real-life events interspersed with short sketches, where the host re-enacts old Soviet jokes or explains some Soviet realities like underground discos or boiled denim that are relevant to the case. It's vary campy and a popular target of youtube poops. They've filmed hundreds of episodes and now just air reruns. Nothing special related to the war, but worth noting that there are two prominent narrative points in the show. First is that capital punishment loving rules, and it's a shame when one of those monsters manages to get away with a simple life sentence, even though there are several episodes where the wrong person gets executed. Second is that things were just better back then, even though we're literally showing you what terrible crimes happened and how everyday life of common folks was rife with constant anguish. 5 hours worth of the show in two days.
- Central Television. It used to be a showbiz/public interest show, completely inoffensive and bland. Now there has to be at least two segments related to the war. They've been going in this direction for the past couple of years now, slowly adding more and more stories about Ukraine.
- Novyie Russkiye Sensatsii (New Russian Scandals). Extremely sensationalised investigative journalism, if you can call it that. Used to focus on celebrities and occasional mafia bosses. Later they started adding politically motivated reports on corrupt politicians, then the opposition, and, of course, Maidan. In this one they literally question prisoners of war. The main target is a woman who they claim Zelenskyi personally ordered to do terrorism on occupied territories. It's unwatchable gish gallop of mined quotes and out of context interview responses. Really, it shouldn't even be on the list, since it's 'political', but since it used to be a regular non-political show for the most part, I thought I'd mention it.

Conclusions

An average apolitical Russian can easily navigate current media landscape without ever hearing about the war. You can still get your dose of escapism slashed with mild conditioning and not think about how many coffins are going to come back from Ukraine. Stark contrast with Ukraine, where all channels participate in one 24/7 news coverage marathon to inspire the nation to fight. Russian TV wants to lull people into not caring, or give them a whiplash from alternating between shouting bouts about the nuclear war and extremely rich celebrities pretending a disabled child is good at singing.

FAQ

To cap it off, I want address some possible questions about the scope of this little experiment, and the idea behind my method.

You didn't really watch 40 hours of TV for this, did you?
No, I tried to watch TV like a regular person would. I switched channels when ads came on, I went outside, I listened to it while doing chores, etc., so I have missed at least half of programmes on each channel entirely, especially early morning and late night shows. The scope here is very limited on purpose, and the focus in on this particular post-annexation weekend to see how the 'newly returned Russian lands' promoted outside of explicit propaganda, if at all.

Why was the weekend programming chosen? How different is the programming the rest of the week?
Ratings show that younger Russians (i.e. under 55) watch TV the most on weekends, and they are the ones who are more likely to identify as apolitical. The rest of the week is heavier on political stuff, which is more popular among the more 'politically aware' 55+ segment.

Russia must have more than three channels. What's going on there?
The three I picked are not just the most popular overall (that's where the majority of the people who watch the news on TV get the news), but they also have the most high-rating entertainment shows. Other federal channels (i.e. the ones that everyone gets for free) are more specialised and mostly just doubled down on their regular programming. With the notable exception of the sports channel Match TV, where they now have a standard political talks show that only occasionally touches on sports when Russian athletes are banned from yet another competition. The Orthodox Christian channel Spas (Saviour) is now way deeper into crazy conspiracies and the holy war in the end times narrative, the military channel Zvezda (Star) is, well, even more militant, while the sitcom and reality television heavy TNT has even more satirical sketch shows. Maybe I'm missing some changes from just looking at the schedules, but I don't see anything that would stand out to me, and frankly, I've suffered enough with just the top three.

Are you sure all these shows were taped during the war?
For the most part, yes. I googled when you could buy tickets or apply to be in the audience the ones I listed, and it's never over 6 months before air date. Some are taped days or even hours in advance. I could have missed that something is a rerun, of course.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MikeC posted:

It isn't really a flank. They are simply attacking down the main road that runs along the Dnipro. The road runs over some sort of dam/levy which splits Dudchany so if the Russians got pushed back hard it's the logical place to try and regroup the water obstacle will provide decent protection.

The view the Ukrainians will have along that route at Dudchany if the Russians pulled back to the far bank.

A natural place for the Russians to try and make a stand.

There is likely going to be a second push from the Inhulets River crossing at Lovove to the east/southeast to join up with the other and encircle the Russian forces. This kind of movement will be done repeatedly to chew up the Russians in pieces.

ETA:
https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1576700746426220544

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 3, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Deteriorata posted:

There is likely going to be a second push from the Inhulets River crossing at Lovove to the east/southeast to join up with the other and encircle the Russian forces. This kind of movement will be done repeatedly to chew up the Russians in pieces.

Maybe but I have been following this Inhulets meatgrinder for weeks now. The entire river line between Davydiv Brid and Snihurivka has been shelled 24/7 by the Russians and it is the one spot that pro-Russian sources that are not in fantasy land have reported decent Russian success and a lot of Ukrainian casualties with not a lot to show for. Western reporting out that same area largely lines up wrt to high casualty rates but no news of movement either in favour of or against the Ukrainians.

This next week will be interesting in that area. The Ukrainians have made little progress ever since they got their toe hold across the river and it doesn't seem to be for lack of trying.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
With the partial mobilisation and conscripts being allowed in the Donbass (has that been confirmed?) has anyone giving estimates on possible Russian troop numbers in and around Ukraine?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

gay picnic defence posted:

So there’s now a bunch of discounted camo gear in various hunting/outdoors shops in the US?

It’s much easier to simply pocket the money and never manufacture the uniforms in the first place.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Paladinus posted:

(extremely good effortpost on current Russian television)

This is absolutely fascinating, thank you for the insight.

You mentioned them airing old Soviet films now since the Western ones were banned. One of the only things I know about Soviet filmmaking was that they apparently made a very well regarded (not just at home but in the West) series of Sherlock Holmes films. I don't suppose they, despite being Soviet film classics would ever get a re-airing now, because they've been adapted from foreign material?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crapilicious posted:

This is absolutely fascinating, thank you for the insight.

You mentioned them airing old Soviet films now since the Western ones were banned. One of the only things I know about Soviet filmmaking was that they apparently made a very well regarded (not just at home but in the West) series of Sherlock Holmes films. I don't suppose they, despite being Soviet film classics would ever get a re-airing now, because they've been adapted from foreign material?

There is no ban in place. You can still watch foreign shows and movies on Russian streaming services. Maybe there are licensing issues, maybe it's self-censorship by channel executives, or they were instructed to ditch foreign movies for now, or something else entirely. Looking at next week's schedule, there aren't even any Soviet movies, only modern Russian ones.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dick Ripple posted:

With the partial mobilisation and conscripts being allowed in the Donbass (has that been confirmed?) has anyone giving estimates on possible Russian troop numbers in and around Ukraine?

Has this ever really been known that well? With how much bad information the Russian army apparently reports internally seems like even Russian general/leaders probably don't even have the a really good idea of how many troops they have in Ukraine at the moment. Any estimate I think would have to be a really wide ballpark figure.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Paladinus posted:

There are plenty of people who trawl through Russian political talk shows for juicy soundbites, so this weekend I decided to do something different. According to polls, despite high support of the war in Russia, people pay less and less attention to it, so no matter how outrageous the soundbites are, they don't seem to directly form people's opinions. I keep harping on about it, but the main purpose of Russian propaganda is to make people confused and indifferent rather than convert them to radical patriotism. With that in mind, I wanted to see what a regular Russian, who is 'not interested in politics' sees on TV. For that, on Saturday and Sunday, I've been watching the three big Russian TV channels: Channel 1, Russia-1, and NTV, skipping all news programmes and political talk shows.

Thank you for your service.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thank you for your service!
I have basic grasp of Russian so most of my exposure was when I've visited my friend that mainlines that stuff. So it was usually the shouty talkshow with the "useful idiot" or some of TV series you've mentioned.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Paladinus posted:

- There are no more Western movies and TV shows. Way back when, Channel 1 introduced Russians to ALF, X-Files, Lost, and Pokemon for the kids, Russia-1 aired everything from Friends to Twin Peaks, and Disney Saturday morning cartoons, while NTV had a plethora of classic TV shows like ER or Tales from the Crypt. As time went on, they started to rely more and more on Russian TV shows, but not long before Feb 24, there were still some foreign movies at least on Channel 1 and NTV. Even they seem to be gone now. Basically, the only foreign content you get now is when Soloviev shows snippets from Tucker Carlson.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

Like, I get why they do it, but they couldn't even keep the good stuff and replaced it with Tucker Carlson? That absolute void of charisma and notability?

Thank you for your service, Paladinus.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Paladinus posted:

There is no ban in place. You can still watch foreign shows and movies on Russian streaming services. Maybe there are licensing issues, maybe it's self-censorship by channel executives, or they were instructed to ditch foreign movies for now, or something else entirely. Looking at next week's schedule, there aren't even any Soviet movies, only modern Russian ones.

I read your whole post. Thank you for your service and I hope you wore a tinfoil hat to keep out the brainworms, although from the description it doesn’t seem like the shows were particularly brainwormy. Do they not have a Fox News / CNN type channel that is purely dedicated to nothing but putting out political spin? So it’s more like Fox, the station that has/had the Simpsons and a bunch of other shows and has like an hour or so a day with political spin? If that 1990s analogy makes sense to you. I actually haven’t seen a TV channel in any country in about 15 years.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.

Paladinus posted:

- Central Television. It used to be a showbiz/public interest show, completely inoffensive and bland. Now there has to be at least two segments related to the war. They've been going in this direction for the past couple of years now, slowly adding more and more stories about Ukraine.

Would you say this trend has been going on since 2014 (either Yanukovych's ousting or the establishment of DPR and LPR)? Or was it more recent?

Thank you for this post, it's very interesting to find out more about USSR nostalgia especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

WaltherFeng posted:

Im gonna play armchair general and predict there's absolutely no way Russian military is going to recover from the strategic failure they've dug themselves in. I'd be amazed if they just suddenly solve all the problems with logistics and low morale and everyone just gets back to doing war as usual.

I might regret this later but little has changed since March when I made this post.

I mean they briefly did but even then the whole strategy was so reliant on artillery that the whole thing fell apart when the ammo depots blew up.