Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone ever find a great, ideally mostly-software, way to connect more than one monitor to an M1 Mac? I'm aware of the DisplayLink driver but it doesn't seem to work with anything in our office. I know we can buy like a $500-600 CAD dock, but am hoping to find something cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Anyone ever find a great, ideally mostly-software, way to connect more than one monitor to an M1 Mac? I'm aware of the DisplayLink driver but it doesn't seem to work with anything in our office. I know we can buy like a $500-600 CAD dock, but am hoping to find something cheaper.

Seems like you need the DisplayLink driver or an equivalent no matter what. And the dock you use needs to be compatible with said display link driver, which may be your original issue.

See

https://www.macworld.com/article/675869/how-to-connect-two-or-more-external-displays-to-apple-silicon-m1-macs.html

The link also includes a bunch of compatible docks that are significantly cheaper than $500.

Here’s another article with even cheaper options.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/75284/everything-you-need-to-run-multiple-monitors-from-your-m1-macbook/

I am not seeing a software only option.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Seems like you need the DisplayLink driver or an equivalent no matter what. And the dock you use needs to be compatible with said display link driver, which may be your original issue.

See

https://www.macworld.com/article/675869/how-to-connect-two-or-more-external-displays-to-apple-silicon-m1-macs.html

The link also includes a bunch of compatible docks that are significantly cheaper than $500.

Here’s another article with even cheaper options.

https://www.reviewgeek.com/75284/everything-you-need-to-run-multiple-monitors-from-your-m1-macbook/

I am not seeing a software only option.

Can't believe those articles didn't mention another option, using the appletv to air play in extended mode.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

Can't believe those articles didn't mention another option, using the appletv to air play in extended mode.

Yeah I was just going to post this. An ATV 4K running the external monitor will be cheaper than most of the compatible dongles.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love it. That will work lol. Thank you!

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FCKGW posted:

I can't understand what you mean by "connect the dots". Are you saying that you believe Adguard is a Russian company and is stealing your info? Because no, they were founded in Russia because their developers are Russian but they've been in Cyprus for more than 6 years. They've released a statement about this when Setapp accused them of sometime similar: https://adguard.com/en/blog/official-response-to-setapp.html

It really doesn't matter where their company is currently headquartered. If the servers AdGuard uses are in Russia or Russian-controlled countries (Belarus), it's not a stretch to speculate the Russian government could access and control the data in them for cyber warfare purposes. Given all the misinformation and disinformation around U.S. presidential elections known to have been used by Russian hackers when Trump was campaigning and elected (mostly through Facebook and Twitter). That's why U.S. Congressional hearings continue to go on to find out how Facebook, Twitter, etc. accept money for advertising that was used to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Similar things are true of TikTok and its servers. They're now in the U.S. and controlled by Oracle. This article from back in June indicates how dangerous that could be for U.S. military interests: https://gizmodo.com/tiktok-china-oracle-bytedance-1849078477

Sorry for not making that clearer in my first post. I should've linked that article in it.

FCKGW posted:

Also I don't understand what you're saying about TikTok and push notifications? Those domains are just 3rd party push notification providers, they aren't "owned" by TikTok but are likely used by TikTok and thousands of other sites like local news and those other placed that do those annoying push notification popups. There's no "dots" to connect on this one.

Yes, but depends on what you mean by "owned." If TikTok's data is still controlled by the PRC and Chinese military to any degree, does it matter where the servers TikTok uses are located? No, it doesn't, for the reasons I laid out above with AdGuard and Russia.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ok

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

1blocker has worked pretty well for me for years on safari. blocking elements sucks, but they all seem to have that problem

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Astro7x posted:

How long does it take to make a MacOS bootable flash drive?

It's been forever since I made one and so far it's been about 40 minutes. Is that normal?

Depends on several factors, such as OS version and the speed of the flash drive. On my system, creating a Monterey bootable USB 3.0 USB drive takes around 20 minutes. USB 2.0 takes well over an hour.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Thanks for the responses so far about a good ad blocking extension for Safari that isn't AdGuard.

Looks like installing a Pi-hole on my Raspberry Pi will be the best way to go, it'll just require more nerd knowledge (I admire people who have it) than I currently have. Should be a fun project though and I'm sure I'll learn a great deal and it'll take care of ads on my home LAN for all devices if I set it up correctly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

binarysmurf posted:

Depends on several factors, such as OS version and the speed of the flash drive. On my system, creating a Monterey bootable USB 3.0 USB drive takes around 20 minutes. USB 2.0 takes well over an hour.

Just to expand on this, I have some USB 3 USB sticks that have decent read speeds (up to 150MB/sec) but the write speed is 15 MB/sec and I bet it's way lower than that when writing many small files.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Anton Chigurh posted:

It really doesn't matter where their company is currently headquartered. If the servers AdGuard uses are in Russia or Russian-controlled countries (Belarus), it's not a stretch to speculate the Russian government could access and control the data in them for cyber warfare purposes. Given all the misinformation and disinformation around U.S. presidential elections known to have been used by Russian hackers when Trump was campaigning and elected (mostly through Facebook and Twitter). That's why U.S. Congressional hearings continue to go on to find out how Facebook, Twitter, etc. accept money for advertising that was used to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Similar things are true of TikTok and its servers. They're now in the U.S. and controlled by Oracle. This article from back in June indicates how dangerous that could be for U.S. military interests: https://gizmodo.com/tiktok-china-oracle-bytedance-1849078477

Sorry for not making that clearer in my first post. I should've linked that article in it.

Yes, but depends on what you mean by "owned." If TikTok's data is still controlled by the PRC and Chinese military to any degree, does it matter where the servers TikTok uses are located? No, it doesn't, for the reasons I laid out above with AdGuard and Russia.

Did you read the official response you quoted? Adguard explicitly says they don't have servers in Russia.

Could there be some conspiracy going on where it is in fact a front company fully controlled by Russia. Sure. But provide some evidence for that. I think the only evidence you've provided so far is 'the CEO is Russian'.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anton Chigurh posted:

Thanks for the responses so far about a good ad blocking extension for Safari that isn't AdGuard.

Looks like installing a Pi-hole on my Raspberry Pi will be the best way to go, it'll just require more nerd knowledge (I admire people who have it) than I currently have. Should be a fun project though and I'm sure I'll learn a great deal and it'll take care of ads on my home LAN for all devices if I set it up correctly.

It helps a bit but it’s not a panacea. You’ll need both if you want to make a dent in the ads.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Anton Chigurh posted:

While it generally blocks ads well, included embedded YouTube ones, often it didn't run at Safari startup; found it paused or disabled until I clicked the icon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

Just to expand on this, I have some USB 3 USB sticks that have decent read speeds (up to 150MB/sec) but the write speed is 15 MB/sec and I bet it's way lower than that when writing many small files.

I only use sticks with higher write speeds, usually the Samsung BARs or the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.1s.

A while back I used Patriots but they tended to work better with Windows machines..

Every once in awhile I'll try some new hotness only to discover their controller doesn't like working with Apple's controllers / HFS+..

Or, they'll work well but it'll be like trying to pick up hot embers from a fireplace when it comes time to eject them.

I'll plop up a review of some newer sticks I've been trying in the Hardware thread when I get a chance..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 30, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

A while back I used Patriots but they tended to work better with Windows machines..

How are these otherwise? I have a gift card for a small college bookstore around here and the only thing that i think i'd buy with it is a "Patriot" usb stick, the only brand they carry lol

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LPG Giant posted:

Did you read the official response you quoted? Adguard explicitly says they don't have servers in Russia.

Could there be some conspiracy going on where it is in fact a front company fully controlled by Russia. Sure. But provide some evidence for that. I think the only evidence you've provided so far is 'the CEO is Russian'.

So you've run SpyBuster on your Mac with AdGuard installed and it doesn't show it using Russian servers? Or it does but you believe it's wrong, so you ignore it?

Just wondering, a lot of things are possible here.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Great! I've uninstalled it and won't be using it again, but cool.

It also doesn't address the other problems I've had that I mentioned earlier, like not updating its filters, for one, but if it works for you with no issues then by all means please use it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last Chance posted:

How are these otherwise? I have a gift card for a small college bookstore around here and the only thing that i think i'd buy with it is a "Patriot" usb stick, the only brand they carry lol

I did some unscientific tests and basically they worked a lot faster under FAT/ExFAT than they did HFS+ both in reads and writes.

The specific brand was the EX with the rubberized case and USB cap that I immediately lost. They're solid all things considered, the other day I needed a Maverick boot drive and I still had an EX set up as one, hadn't touched it in years but it booted just fine.

Other drives I've plugged in after years of disuse wind up having to be reformatted.

It'll be a great drive if you need to move stuff across platforms

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i've got like three e-mail addresses, and one is gmail. what app is good for that. i'm tired of giving mail.app a chance and it only disappointing me.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Airmail

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

i've got like three e-mail addresses, and one is gmail. what app is good for that. i'm tired of giving mail.app a chance and it only disappointing me.

ars technica just did an article on this and recommended mimestream for gmail, currently free while it’s in beta

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Before I bought my Mac I was using mailspring - it has a Mac version as well (the app has always had a Mac like feel, I suspect the Mac version came first.)

I was always pretty happy with it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

Hate to say it, but macOS Ventura coming out soon has a revamped Mail app with a rebuilt search and a bunch of new features. Might be worth checking out.

I used Mimestream and was happy with it but went back to Mail.app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does Mail.app allow you to go through and Mark As Read all emails or something? The only reason I don't use Mail on my iPhone or Macs is because I have literally thousands of emails that are unread (mostly spam from companies that want me to buy something or political crap). I wish Inbox by Google was still a thing..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does Mail.app allow you to go through and Mark As Read all emails or something? The only reason I don't use Mail on my iPhone or Macs is because I have literally thousands of emails that are unread (mostly spam from companies that want me to buy something or political crap). I wish Inbox by Google was still a thing..

cmd + a then right-click mark as read?

or edit the toolbar and add the mark as read button to the tool bar, cmd + a then click that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I click the big “unsubscribe” button so I don’t get the spam anymore. :shrug:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i like spark a lot, i've been using it for years now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can mark all as read in mail on iOS and Mac.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

chaosbreather posted:

We talking about an app or weed?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jaegerx posted:

mail client.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

chaosbreather posted:

mail client.

I read that wrong, I read it as "I like to spark a lot, i've been using it for years now"

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Riven posted:

Airmail

Truth. Airmail is good and well worth the subscription fee, and I generally loathe subscription software of any kind that does't offer lifetime licenses too.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

jaegerx posted:

Both, as Elon Musk will attest.

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 4, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Anton Chigurh posted:

Truth. Airmail is good and well worth the subscription fee, and I generally loathe subscription software of any kind that does't offer lifetime licenses too.

I really wanted to like Airmail. I started using it when it won the design award. But I never got to a point of using its more advanced features reliably and it had so many rendering bugs, weird sync issues, and other day to day problems that I unbsubbed this year.

chaosbreather posted:

I'm using Spark for work email and decently happy with it. I also have Triage which I *really* like not for full featured email but for dealing with all the low level crap that demands a little attention so that my inbox is much more useful when I sit down to deal with it.

Really, my solution is stop working for email so much. Getting good at email doesn't really make me better at my job it turns out. It just makes me better at dealing with people/entities demanding my time.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Speaking of Spark, looks like it just got a Mac redesign and is going subscription:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/04/spark-email-mac-redesign/

Edit: Looks like a lot of great features, but LOL you have to pay $5 a month to remove the "Sent with Spark" tag at the bottom of emails.

Violator fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 4, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use Airmail on MacOS and iOS and find the $10/yr subscription very reasonable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Violator posted:

$5 a month

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I like mailmate