Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Truga posted:

i like them well enough, but they'd be much better games if they were just puzzle platformers without the lovely combat :v:

I liked both parts but I haven’t played Shadow yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

They could have also done without the gratuitous snuff scenes

They at least dialled that back a bit as they went on, but yeah it's probably the main reason why I've never fully replayed the first one of the reboots despite it being my favourite of them.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pulled the trigger on a used 3080 FE, but did I screw up majorly by having only a 750 watt SFX PSU? Only asking because I know they cut the size down by reducing capacitor count (IE, will it crap out under load thanks to transient spikes?)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I had a 750W Platinum-rated SFX paired with my 3080 Ti for about a year and had no issues

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m running my 3080 fe on a 650 with no issues

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I asked about Destiny 2 a while ago(in this very same thread I believe), and general conclusions were that Bungie was probably hard at work on the next Destiny game, so... why bother upgrading anything :shrug:

D2 is still one of the best looking games out there imo, but it's thanks to their incredible environment artists, rather than any engine magic...

Destiny already deletes half of their artwork, voice acting, and a lot of programmer effort every now and again in order to satisfy the beast that is the seasonal content model. Why waste time running AI upscaling in levels that won't be around in 18 months.

They are trapped between gorgeous environments, seasonal content, and not wanting to be a 3TB game. The games they ostensibly compete against (MMOs, Warframe) pull it off by having stylish environments that reveal PS2 quality textures when zoomed up close.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Bungie has gone on record saying they won't be removing content anymore, what's in the game now will be there forever.
All I want is TAA. The anti-aliasing in the game sucks. The environments are getting more and more complex with more fine details and the lovely SMAA/FXAA the game has just can't keep the fine details stable. It's a shimmery, jaggy mess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even when destiny 2 was new i saw people who thought the AA was broken/missing because it had such little effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTv3kgv0XeE

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I don't know why they can't update it. Warframe was updated to use TAA years ago.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know why they can't update it. Warframe was updated to use TAA years ago.

The head of Warframe's development team is also a massive graphics nerd.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They might be contractually obligated to add DLSS/FSR2 support now that they’re under the Sony umbrella.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sounds like a job to hand off to nixxes if bungie doesn't want to do it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nixxes is not the end-all, be-all, though. I was sorely disappointed by their PC port of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, thing was buggy as poo poo on release.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Bungie has gone on record saying they won't be removing content anymore, what's in the game now will be there forever.

Just to clarify: The story campaigns since Shadowkeep won't be going away. Seasonal content, including raids introduced between expansions, will still come and go, and in an average year Bungie creates about as much of that stuff as they do the former.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't really understand what that has to do with upscaling though? DLSS is an engine-level thing and not something you do to content. Saying the content will go away doesn't make it less worthwhile.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Destiny's a game where your starting level is in the 600s and you're given a tutorial quest to do a raid half an hour in. Bungie are not good at making long term decisions with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, the “Limited Edition” 16GB Arcs are limited in name only. It’s just what they call the models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFbvuB8iaw

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"founders edition" carries a similar implication and those aren't really limited either

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Destiny already deletes half of their artwork, voice acting, and a lot of programmer effort every now and again in order to satisfy the beast that is the seasonal content model. Why waste time running AI upscaling in levels that won't be around in 18 months.

They are trapped between gorgeous environments, seasonal content, and not wanting to be a 3TB game. The games they ostensibly compete against (MMOs, Warframe) pull it off by having stylish environments that reveal PS2 quality textures when zoomed up close.
Destiny 2 also has garbage tooling that is still a quantum leap better than the absolute workflow nightmare that was Destiny 1.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Huh, the “Limited Edition” 16GB Arcs are limited in name only. It’s just what they call the models.

They will make as many of any non-numbered limited edition anything as long as people will keep buying them. Also I regret to inform you that Santa Claus isn't real.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rinkles posted:

I think they are calling it that because of the limited amount of sales they expect.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Someone should tell them that "LE" is also synonymous with "low end"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Reminds me of that time I got a Radeon 9200 SE thinking it'd be faster than my buddy's Radeon 9000 pro.
drat thing could barely play Vietcong which really upset me no end. It was so great on his system and ran like rear end on mine. Since then I always made sure to do my homework when it came to buying new hardware.
Naming schemes back then made no sense at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Reminds me of that time I got a Radeon 9200 SE thinking it'd be faster than my buddy's Radeon 9000 pro.
drat thing could barely play Vietcong which really upset me no end. It was so great on his system and ran like rear end on mine. Since then I always made sure to do my homework when it came to buying new hardware.
Naming schemes back then made no sense at all.

Naming schemes make no sense now, most of the time. Look at CPUs or, god forbid, monitors if you want to see some particularly terrible examples.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Naming schemes make no sense now, most of the time. Look at CPUs or, god forbid, monitors if you want to see some particularly terrible examples.

is it acer with the one that's got a letter salad of part names but if you get the wrong letter it's the wrong one?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Shipon posted:

is it acer with the one that's got a letter salad of part names but if you get the wrong letter it's the wrong one?

Don’t talk to me or my XV272U KVbmiiprzx ever again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yep, that sounds like Acer alright.

edit: #4 and #6 on this list are the same monitor which is pcpartpicker's fault but their confusion is understandable

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 3, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well my Dell S2721DGF is clearly a 27 inch... or maybe 21 inch... Don't Give a gently caress

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dell is nothing like Acer, they have one of the most consistent model naming conventions. S is Dell's mainstream consumer monitor line. It's a 27", model year 21 (so 2020 really) D (1440p) G (this one is the only unclear letter, sometimes it means Gsync sometimes it might just mean gaming) F (Freesync).

And it's more or less uniform, regardless of product line. A P3223DE is a Pro (step below Ultrasharp) 32" model year 23 1440p with an Ethernet port (so it can function as a sort-of dock for a laptop).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think G is just "gaming," though sometimes it appears at the start of the model name just to throw you for a loop (like the G3223Q)

The acer poo poo must mean something since there appears to be a pattern at least, but what it all actually means is probably known to only a handful of engineers at acer and no one else.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

repiv posted:

"founders edition" carries a similar implication and those aren't really limited either
Yeah they are. Region locked, only AIBs available in the Nordics for example. Maybe that's what Intel is planning to do too :v:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i spent the better part of 16 hours getting stable-diffusion working on my AMD card and holy poo poo when i said they only had interns working on it i was apparently being generous because as far as i can tell their entire compute stack is managed by non-sentient slime molds

this isn't just consumer this is their datacenter modules, they absolutely give zero fucks about this umpteen billion dollar sector that nvidia has (rightful) complete dominance over.

apparently compute on windows only works because microsoft stepped in, on server/linux it's "ROCm" and might work sometimes if they feel like it. their half-assed CUDA translation layer isn't really functional for anyone not a hyper-nerd (no researchers will ever touch it, meaning any interesting compute will always be nVidia only).

"supported hardware? i dunno we printed out a poster of our lineup and threw darts at it. then sometimes the darts fall out of the wall and we have to delete support." like the RX 590s managed support for 18 months from launch before they deliberately turned them off in the drivers. The RX 6xxx series is only partially supported officially but it all works if you use an undocumented workaround found on forums to say "no, really, it's the gfx1030 silicon jesus christ just use it".

Also it explodes if you have two AMD cards in your system, intending to use one for compute while the other handles display. The workarounds for that aren't even undocumented-but-on-support-forums, you have to go source spelunking because it can't possibly skip a card it doesn't recognize it has to instead throw a cryptic error message and dump core (no, really, a deliberate core dump in 2022)

But when you do get it all working it can generate an image of graffiti that looks pretty good

but it's slow as poo poo, a 3060 runs circles around the entire lineup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Harik posted:

i spent the better part of 16 hours getting stable-diffusion working on my AMD card and holy poo poo when i said they only had interns working on it i was apparently being generous because as far as i can tell their entire compute stack is managed by non-sentient slime molds

this isn't just consumer this is their datacenter modules, they absolutely give zero fucks about this umpteen billion dollar sector that nvidia has (rightful) complete dominance over.

Thanks, I was looking for a definitive answer to this.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rinkles posted:

Thanks, I was looking for a definitive answer to this.

the only advantage an amd graphics card or compute module has over nvidia is ram size, nvidia is incredibly stingy about memory for anything except their beyond-halo tier stuff which has enough to do interesting work. everything else gets frankly bizarre allocations - 3060 12gb, 3060ti 8gb, 3080 10gb...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

brief XeSS comparison in the new DF direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3P_Tdn2HA&t=1985s

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Well that might explain the differences between different comparisons I've seen.

Didn't Intel claim the different paths all produced the same output with only performance differences? I guess not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nah it was ambiguous for a while but they did eventually state outright that the DP4a path uses a simpler model than the XMX path

it probably had to be simplified to be practical, even with the smaller network XeSS-DP4a is noticeably more expensive than DLSS or FSR2

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 3, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m running my 3080 fe on a 650 with no issues

Thanks all, this is what I figured

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm running a 3080 fe and 5900 and when I had it on a 750 sfx power supply it only lasted a few months before the psu couldn't handle the load with transients and it was turning off under load. I'm on an 850 atx PSU now and it's so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm running a 3080 fe and 5900 and when I had it on a 750 sfx power supply it only lasted a few months before the psu couldn't handle the load with transients and it was turning off under load. I'm on an 850 atx PSU now and it's so far so good.

I'm running a 5600X so I should be okay?