Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen more DS9 than the writers

If this statement was about Picard, or even Disco, I wouldn't challenge it. But Lower Decks? Ehhhhhh, I have my doubts. The folks on that show know and LOVE their source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ghostlight posted:

I would disagree that Voyager is the most fun. It's the most stupid, which makes it fun to watch.

Someone hasn't watched Enterprise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen more DS9 than the writers, it should not be news to a Ferengi that starfleet officers don’t regularly use money & Quark doesn’t replicate all his liquor and keeps a physical stock, like when he had a kanar surplus.

Some starfleet officers take the money for fun, they were surprised that Boimler was one that didn't after winning all of that. And the replicator was so that Quark was able to franchise it out and use the proprietary tech to replicate high-quality stuff at all his franchises without stocking it.

The Lower Decks writers are pretty clearly ridiculous when it comes to how well they know the shows.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was a good lower decks, glad to see Kira & Quark. Bit surprised they didn’t get a few more cast members, I know Avery Brooks probably isn’t interested & Colm Meaney is probably working elsewhere but certainly could have gotten Cirroc Lofton, or Rom & Lita.

Kira and Quark are the only ones I’m comfortable with still being there. Obviously it’s Kira’s home sector and Quark loves his bar. But everyone else? I want them to move on and live their lives. Jake should be a famous author living on Earth, Rom is obviously busy being Grand Nagus, O’Brien should be at starfleet academy. Doctor Bashir and Ezri should be off on some adventure elsewhere.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said they wanted to do it without actually having much impact on What Happened Since, since it's just a quick drop-by, so just using the characters that would almost certainly still be there makes sense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
imo Sisko is retired from Starfleet and raising his child with Kasidy on Bajor

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

He’s still “in the celestial temple” as of 2382 according to LD :(

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Endless Trash posted:

...First Officer of the Celestial Temple, a tramp freighter registered out of Bajor!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Endless Trash posted:

being a star trek fan is embarrassing but it's not a learning disability

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

being a star trek fan is embarrassing but it's not a learning disability

Future historians will probably disagree

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zesty posted:

Someone hasn't watched Enterprise.

I watched my first episode of Enterprise (the one where Jeffrey Coombs and his Andorian buddies take over a Vulcan monastery) and while the premise is interesting and I can see what they were going for by having these pre-Federation characters be flawed, they're flawed in a way that's annoying rather than compelling. I guess the writers thought the audience would find everyone acting like an American Tourist stereotype would be funny rather than infuriating? The British guy didn't do very much, is there an episode where he gets absolutely leathered and pisses on a genocide memorial?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Whorelord posted:

I watched my first episode of Enterprise (the one where Jeffrey Coombs and his Andorian buddies take over a Vulcan monastery) and while the premise is interesting and I can see what they were going for by having these pre-Federation characters be flawed, they're flawed in a way that's annoying rather than compelling. I guess the writers thought the audience would find everyone acting like an American Tourist stereotype would be funny rather than infuriating? The British guy didn't do very much, is there an episode where he gets absolutely leathered and pisses on a genocide memorial?
No that's the dog.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I'm on my rewatch of Voyager and its honestly not that bad it's definitely worse than TNG or DS9 but it doesn't reach the levels of lows that some of the TNG episodes reach.

last time i had a proper hangover and i just laid in bed and binged voyager episodes

the early voyager with its gangland aliens and the child race sucked rear end, but the good and/or entertainingly stupid episodes were great entertainment

i'd rank voyager to be better than ds9, because exploring ships are a better concept than an immobile base

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

ChubbyChecker posted:

last time i had a proper hangover and i just laid in bed and binged voyager episodes

the early voyager with its gangland aliens and the child race sucked rear end, but the good and/or entertainingly stupid episodes were great entertainment

i'd rank voyager to be better than ds9, because exploring ships are a better concept than an immobile base

:mods:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

He just popped into existence to raise his kid but never told anyone.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

time is fake i'm pretty sure he can be in the celestial temple and outside the celestial temple at the same time

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kesper North posted:

...First Officer of the Celestial Temple, a tramp freighter registered out of Bajor!

Don't bring my mom into this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Endless Trash posted:

barf

well,

MikeJF posted:

He just popped into existence to raise his kid but never told anyone.

yeah, there we go. he's letting everyone think he's still in there but he snuck back because he knows if people knew he'd have to deal with a constant pilgrimage of Bajorans

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will also say that McMahon has said that they are very careful about what pre-existing characters they use on LD because they have to make sure they can fit everything into the budget. When you get someone like Nana Visitor or Armin Shimmerman to play those characters, you have to pay likeness rights and they also cost a ton more to do the voice acting.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/0thpEyEwi80

um yeah don’t have to call me out quite that hard video maker

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sorry you died Kai Winn. Didn't feel like posting this earlier. should have gone to the cool Kai planet where nobody dies ever. But you got to gently caress Dukat so you got that over everybody.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

'cept kira's mum

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Trying posted:

'cept kira's mum

:drat:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
At least she got to go out in a pretty metal way. The zombie body of Dukat possessed by a Pah'Wraith summoned a flaming tornado from the fire caves of Bajor to incinerate her. :hellyeah:

Then Sisko tackled him of a cliff and abandoned his newly pregnant wife and adult son behind for some reason. :geno:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

At least she got to go out in a pretty metal way. The zombie body of Dukat possessed by a Pah'Wraith summoned a flaming tornado from the fire caves of Bajor to incinerate her. :hellyeah:

Then Sisko tackled him of a cliff and abandoned his newly pregnant wife and adult son behind for some reason. :geno:

As a previous poster said, Sisko was in Prophets eternal moment temple for 5 minutes and has been laying low ever since.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Sisko gets to party for eternity and then the prophets dump him back out at the same point in the timeline that they took him out, before the child support cops are notified

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i have questions about how child support works in a post-scarcity society with no money

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can't recall: Did DS9 ever have Dukat get a reaction to hearing/seeing Kira was pregnant with O'Brien's kid?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

I can't recall: Did DS9 ever have Dukat get a reaction to hearing/seeing Kira was pregnant with O'Brien's kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgD3g_e5SO4

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mx. posted:

i have questions about how child support works in a post-scarcity society with no money

Also, how many paternity suits did Captain Kirk have to defend against?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

he may have made love to a mountain, but i don't think he impregnated it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he may have made love to a mountain, but i don't think he impregnated it.

Marshmelons do decrease potency.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I can’t remember how that came about.
But I also just started watching DS9 again after giving paramount plus money to watch Lower Decks, Picard, and Evil. So I may make it to the the episode that gets Kira pregnant.

I’m very much enjoying lower decks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bored posted:

I can’t remember how that came about.
But I also just started watching DS9 again after giving paramount plus money to watch Lower Decks, Picard, and Evil. So I may make it to the the episode that gets Kira pregnant.

I’m very much enjoying lower decks.

Bashir knocked her up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
You, the one who is posting now! Experience bij!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Automatic Slim posted:

Real answer is that, on TOS, Kirk didn't have a lot of sex. Kirk had a bunch of exes, but he was usually on good terms with them. The relationships didn't tend to work out because Kirk was attracted to smart, ambitious women, and the relationships fell apart because both sides put their careers first.

Most of the sex and relationships he has in the series are tactical.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Pretty sure we see Picard get laid more than Kirk

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kirk sleeps with a sex slave on the Space Rome planet for no tactical gain

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Pretty sure we see Picard get laid more than Kirk
Yeah in watching through TOS a couple of years ago I was surprised how he so very rarely gets laid despite the trope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Two decades of loosening standards and more than twice as many seasons. I'd be surprised if Picard didn't gently caress more than Kirk