Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Electric Phantasm posted:

That reminds me what's actually stopping anyone from loving them up? Like the end of that one postmoogle quest really pissed me off I couldn't blow that one guy up.

Personally I'm still holding out (against absolutely all reasonable hope) for the questgiver sister to come back from swearing vengeance upon him, possibly as a magitech cyborg ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean a thing to remember is that the Elementals are the old mythic "spirits of the land" trope, and in Shinto belief there's plenty of animism and beliefs that places and things have spirits that you honor and pay respect to, and so on. The game kinda muddies the metaphor by implying they are in some respect separate from the land but they're still tied to it, and in that way it's not really a question of "should" or "should not"- they're there and you have to deal with it just like you have to deal with the weather and the tides and nature in general. I think delving heavily into negotiations with the elementals would just confuse things further.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GloomMouse posted:

:hmmyes: can't hear the cries of the elementals over the boisterous sea shanties
:yarr:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean a thing to remember is that the Elementals are the old mythic "spirits of the land" trope, and in Shinto belief there's plenty of animism and beliefs that places and things have spirits that you honor and pay respect to, and so on. The game kinda muddies the metaphor by implying they are in some respect separate from the land but they're still tied to it, and in that way it's not really a question of "should" or "should not"- they're there and you have to deal with it just like you have to deal with the weather and the tides and nature in general. I think delving heavily into negotiations with the elementals would just confuse things further.

Yeah, this is a significant cultural gulf between the JP writers and our NA/EU consumers. The closest thing to an ever-present nature spirit the West has (barring animistic indigenous beliefs, and I'd certainly be interested to hear First Nations takes on XIV's mythology) is the Fae, who you propitiate with sacrifices (Yes, a bowl of milk for a brownie counts as a sacrifice) and absolutely do not expect to come out on top in bargains with. Our mythos is packed chock full of tales about mortals trying and failing to get one over on the fae and then trying and, generally, succeeding in getting out of their deal. We see that Gridania has made a deal that results in them being killed on a whim; their children kidnapped, mutated and brainwashed; and forced to bow to the elementals' will in matters that do not concern the elementals at all. Our thoughts naturally gravitate to "How can we get Gridania out of this bullshit deal, and I'm betting it will involve this big stick I'm carrying."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just 2 fish left for 100% log completion.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ibblebibble posted:

that owns but you might be nuts for even trying this

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

blatman posted:

that owns but you might be nuts for even trying this

Compared to others I'm on a surprisingly fast pace TBH.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I've also been trying to get the ocean voyage fish and it hurts me to see you getting them so easily lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alxprit posted:

cries in Bard starter

Starting as a duskwright archer really was An experience.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm gonna get every Triple Triad card!

*runs The Vault 12 times, no card*

I wish I was smart.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibblebibble posted:

gently caress yeah

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Starting as a duskwright archer really was An experience.
The extremely racist guy in the Archer questline should've been the main villain instead of Mooncat Poacher #30, that dude is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doomykins posted:

*runs The Vault 12 times, no card*

Wake me up when you're 50+ runs in on a dungeon for a card.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mordiceius posted:

it me and Matoya's Relict

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it me and Matoya's Relict

Me and the Grand Cosmos. :negative:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

Hello again, Labyrinth of the Ancients, do you feel like dropping any of the Crimson set this time?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lota's a weird one cause I'm pretty sure none of those models have been reused since, and there's some really good ones in there

not like people need more encouragement to run it

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those Crimson caster gloves are so Power Rangers I just can't wait to find the right glam place for them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dareon posted:

Hello again, Labyrinth of the Ancients, do you feel like dropping any of the Crimson set this time?

After seven years I finally got the hat from Syrcus.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

they need to add lota to the msq roulette

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Trash Ops posted:

they need to add lota to the msq roulette

Removing Lota from ADR and adding it to MSQDR would be great, I would finally start doing ADR again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It seems inevitable that the CT raids will be given the MSQDR treatment and get full reworks to enable duty support.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SettingSun posted:

It seems inevitable that the CT raids will be given the MSQDR treatment and get full reworks to enable duty support.

That seems incredibly unlikely to me.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I could see them returning to it at some point in the far off future for a whole rework of the boss encounters, because they're so crusty right now and as required content they sorta stand out compared to the recently reworked content. Bone Dragon's arena is way too big and conventional tactics completely ignore its mechanics, and someone reading this right now has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention Glasya Labolas' platforms just not being a factor anymore.

And hey, if they made the fights a little harder to sleep through maybe you won't have as many people stripping down to force a level 50 roulette pop (they will still do this)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They have said that one of the reasons for adding Duty Supports to older content is futureproofing- the idea that maybe, down the line, the game won't have a huge playerbase and will gradually become a legacy thing, and they'd want people to still be able to go through and experience the MSQ in some form, just like the other Final Fantasy games are all accessible in some form or another. To really follow through on this they would have to come up with a single-player solution for trials and required raids.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What about for left side pieces for glam? Because I've been hitting Troia real hard for fending left side and I've never actually seen the boots or pants. I've got pretty well complete sets of everything else, and an entire swimming pool full of right side.

Starting to think they don't exist.

SettingSun posted:

I'll take this if only so I never have another CT raid in my life.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Warmachine posted:

What about for left side pieces for glam? Because I've been hitting Troia real hard for fending left side and I've never actually seen the boots or pants. I've got pretty well complete sets of everything else, and an entire swimming pool full of right side.

I've been running the 6.1 dungeon as samurai almost since release for that set and I just got the chest last week. Still missing the gloves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I expect some kind of CT rework but not for at least 3-4 years

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Warmachine posted:

I'll take this if only so I never have another CT raid in my life.

Took me ages to even see the aiming head, but I eventually got it in time for my October glam. Hang in there.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The did rework some of the boss markers in CT for stackups and such

Also revised the voidsent death animations per Lore

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

To really follow through on this they would have to come up with a single-player solution for trials and required raids.

This is something they fully intend to do, but the much higher implementation cost (that is, redoing certain trials/raids to require reduced "players" and programming the AI for the more complicated mechanics) means that it likely won't be until 7.0, if not later.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

This is something they fully intend to do, but the much higher implementation cost (that is, redoing certain trials/raids to require reduced "players" and programming the AI for the more complicated mechanics) means that it likely won't be until 7.0, if not later.

I'd love to see what "programming the AI for the more complicated mechanics" actually means. While I was watching a streamer do Trust Kitisis a couple days ago, I was struck by how two of the NPCs walked into the exact same place twice during Double True Aero, which would have been safe if the streamer hadn't used that exact spot as the place to dump her own AOE.

It makes me think things are more on-rails than they first appear, and depending on the level of railroading "complicated" mechanics can be easier or harder to deal with. What trips me up is when it's not clear what a particular visual cue in a fight is trying to tell me. From a 'do the strategy' standpoint, it's not complex. It's just that reading the situation before you've seen it and memorized the dance steps is hard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Warmachine posted:

I'd love to see what "programming the AI for the more complicated mechanics" actually means. While I was watching a streamer do Trust Kitisis a couple days ago, I was struck by how two of the NPCs walked into the exact same place twice during Double True Aero, which would have been safe if the streamer hadn't used that exact spot as the place to dump her own AOE.

It makes me think things are more on-rails than they first appear, and depending on the level of railroading "complicated" mechanics can be easier or harder to deal with. What trips me up is when it's not clear what a particular visual cue in a fight is trying to tell me. From a 'do the strategy' standpoint, it's not complex. It's just that reading the situation before you've seen it and memorized the dance steps is hard.

Oh definitely. I did the same thing on the same fight, stood between two other folks for the first hit, for the second they walked right into my line and died.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

on some level if they needed to do massive changes to the zone to add duty support I'd want them to change the whole content, maybe even taking it out of the alliance raid category and making it into an open zone or something with a similar structure to bozja.

either way it's a lot of work, and whatever they commit to I wouldn't expect to see it until after the 2.x+ trials have duty support NPCs added.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Didn't they actually talk about a CT rework, but that it'd be at least starting on 7.0 and would take them much longer?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Didn't they actually talk about a CT rework, but that it'd be at least starting on 7.0 and would take them much longer?

I don't remember them talking about a CT rework, but I believe they said they wouldn't be making 8-man Trials Duty Support compatible until 7.0 or later, if they do it at all.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Khizan posted:

I've been running the 6.1 dungeon as samurai almost since release for that set and I just got the chest last week. Still missing the gloves.

I wish the patch dungeons got the 'guaranteed drop for your current job' thing the leveling ones do. Hell, wait until the expansion is over to do it even, but it would be nice.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
The trusts act less like AI with flow charts and more like pre-recorded actions. Basically the only reason they know how to do bosses is because they were explicitly told where to stand to always avoid x mechanic, which I think has had some impact on boss designs, but to be fair things have been pretty "sterile" since StB in that regard (like, clean. Not messy).

Jabbering Idiot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 3, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Jabbering Idiot posted:

The trusts act less like AI with flow charts and more like pre-recorded actions. Basically the only reason they know how to do bosses is because they were explicitly told where to stand to always avoid x mechanic, which I think has had some impact on boss designs, but to be fair things have been pretty "sterile" since StB in that regard (like, clean. Not messy).

I completely agree. Taking Keeper of the Lake as an example, all three bosses have been reworked to the point where they're cleaner cut and overall less prone to chaos than they were pre-6.2, and while those fights needed a once over they did come out a little too sterile.

I do think the trade-off is that optional group content like alliance and normal raids have been biting back harder compared to stuff that was in HW and StB.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

FeatherFloat posted:

Something being overlooked in the Elemental chat is that the Black Shroud and Gridania do benefit defensively from having the Elementals be present there. In exchange for the current situation, they can live in a forest that's highly resistant to outside incursion. Or, at least, it was much more like that during the 1.0 era.

That wasn’t all that great even during the 1.0 era, in one of the quests during the legacy storyline Garlemald use aircraft to set fire to the black shroud and the elementals end up disintegrating the Gridanians trying to defend the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP confronts the moral decay of society by investigating horrific crimes such as poisoning, embezzlement, the burial of historic truths, and the fact that Japanese people just can't stop making puns.