Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Blue Nation posted:

Man I feel bad for these kids, everyone around them is poisoning the relationship between these cousins and now they straight up want to maim one another.

Someone with a better memory tell me if Alicent has worn only green since the wedding.

King Goon might be onto something with him spending so much time with his legos and leeches, man should already be dead but he just keeps on going willfully blind to the shitstorm brewing around him. And how did Otto get back his job as the hand? In the previous episode Vyseris drops a line on how self-serving Otto was, so I find him returning so soon a bit odd.

King Goon might be a little too inclined to forgiveness and is short on competent Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I kept forgetting to breathe during the scene where allicent is losing her poo poo over aemond holy poo poo what a good episode

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
God drat that's a god father ending in the middle of the season. God drat!

However Rhaeynir gain Daemon faction but lost the Velaryon faction. It's not a big win for her.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

God drat that's a god father ending in the middle of the season. God drat!

However Rhaeynir gain Daemon faction but lost the Velaryon faction. It's not a big win for her.

Corlys being so worried about name over blood and his granddaughters basically being in the extended Rhaenyra-Daemon family now, I wouldn't be surprised the Velaryons will still support Rhaenyra. Although you can't help but to feel for them with Daemon and Rhaenyra blindsiding them - even if Laenor himself was in on it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That scene where he rode a dragon was absolutely just like it came out of How to Train Your Dragon.

I'm enjoying this show but i wish there were some characters that were a bit more likeable with some brevity sometimes. I liked the young version of the main lady a lot better, she was charming and fun to watch.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

CODChimera posted:

there is a vast difference between all of that and two opposing forces contending for the throne of a kingdom

almost everyone feels like they are sleepwalking, which might be on purpose, but like criston is obviously a problem for so many different reasons now and yet he's just cruising along untouched? it's a little strange. we need more scheming and gathering of resources/soldiers

Probably because everyone in the court assume as soon as the goon king is dead, Criston will be killed along with the Queen, or vise versa.

His role is actually very similar to Jaime, whose royalty everybody know is to the Queen's family house first.

TeaJay posted:

Corlys being so worried about name over blood and his granddaughters basically being in the extended Rhaenyra-Daemon family now, I wouldn't be surprised the Velaryons will still support Rhaenyra. Although you can't help but to feel for them with Daemon and Rhaenyra blindsiding them - even if Laenor himself was in on it.

Well ideally Corly will bargain his iron fleet support in exchange to the twin girls succussing his family estate (stepstones?), so the Rhaenyra faction is still in better position to win their support.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 3, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

As far as we’ve been shown only his boyfriend and daemon know

e: Actually her speech with daemon suggests she probably knows

And someone get the production crew those nasa lenses kubric used in barry lyndon

Rhaenyra definitely knows, in fact, I don't think she goes along with the plan otherwise. It's not like Daemon would pick the far riskier, sentimental plan over straight murking him. As they said in the episode, Daemon does what is in his best interest. His mercy and considerate behavior gets him the bride he's always wanted, plus I don't think he had any hard feeling towards Laenor at all. So for him it's not so much a win/win but a HUGE win/meh, sure why not?

Other stray thoughts from the thread:

Yes, people are calm because if a dragon accepts you, it's a done deal. House Valyron will still be pissed because who's to say if she would've accepted the daughter, but as Aemond said, she should've claimed it. You snooze, you lose! As far as Laenor's dragon following and blowing up his spot, I'm going with the off-scene boat chasing and rock throwing story. Fantastic. And yes, some of the dragon flying/training scenes looked absolutely fantastic. Loved it.

I agree that House Valyron will stay aligned with Rhaenyra, at least for now. People might suspect foul play given how quick the new wedding happened but there are witnesses that it was the jilted lover and, if anything, this show has shown people are more than capable of willful blindness. Plus in the back to back shots that showed the two sides after the fight, Vaemond was with #TeamRhaenyra.

The fight scene with the kids was legitimately one of the better fights in the whole of HBO's GoT stuff. Visceral and real, kudos to all involved.

Aemond is a little poo poo, but in the best way. He's got swagger and I kind of can't help rooting for him a little bit.

Ser Criston is an absolute shitheel and I haven't been as hyped about a GoT fight since Clegane Bowl. As for why his shitbaggery is tolerated, the Queen has his back, and the Queen has been steadily gaining power. The only person that could fire him is the King and he's not really in charge. And if you think an organization like the Kings Guard wouldn't tolerate someone like him, I remind you of Meryn Trant.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

They should do a tie-in theme park that fully embraces the tits and dragons airbrush van aesthetic

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The massive balls it takes to walk up and mount a dragon the size of a city block holy poo poo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pussy Quipped posted:

The massive balls it takes to walk up and mount a dragon the size of a city block holy poo poo

I was half expecting the little poo poo to die at p. much most points. Compelling television. Also prolly why Dr. Whyveryn's ex didn't get a dragon bonding scene because they did it in this one

edit: already. They did it in this one already

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Blue Nation posted:

Man I feel bad for these kids, everyone around them is poisoning the relationship between these cousins and now they straight up want to maim one another.

Someone with a better memory tell me if Alicent has worn only green since the wedding.

the entire hightower side of the family are all very conspicuously wearing green now

quote:

King Goon might be onto something with him spending so much time with his legos and leeches, man should already be dead but he just keeps on going willfully blind to the shitstorm brewing around him. And how did Otto get back his job as the hand? In the previous episode Vyseris drops a line on how self-serving Otto was, so I find him returning so soon a bit odd.
what if I told you Viserys is in his 40s at this point?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there a good map with locations of some of the key places for this season? I knew the GoT map pretty well but this season if it isn't in King's Landing I'm largely lost.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sapochnik it’s nice when we’re able to see things, what is your problem with letting us see things

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Typo posted:

the entire hightower side of the family are all very conspicuously wearing green now

what if I told you Viserys is in his 40s at this point?

drat, he looks late 50s.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How old is the Cryptkeeper from Tales from the Crypt?

Viserys is that old

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CornHolio posted:

Is there a good map with locations of some of the key places for this season? I knew the GoT map pretty well but this season if it isn't in King's Landing I'm largely lost.

theres an interactive map of westeros (not the show specifically) here: http://quartermaester.info/

but about 90% of the show has been here. With a couple other spots sprinkled in, many also visible on this snippet of the map (Harrenal, Pentos, Kingswood, The Vale, etc)

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ithle01 posted:

King Goon might be a little too inclined to forgiveness and is short on competent Hands.

I love his whole “Can this family PLEASE have one normal Thanksgiving?” attitude.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Giodo! posted:

They filmed the scene with the dragon following him on the boat while he throws rocks at it and cries until it eventually stays on Driftmark, but I heard it got cut for time.

I would not throw rocks at the murder lizard.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Thank goodness they started calling some of these kids by nicknames. It’s bad enough that all the little weirdoes look exactly like each other, giving them all basically the same gleepglop Westeros name makes it really tough to keep track.

Here’s hoping Corlys and Daemon just wipe out everyone and start from scratch as the only effective people in the kingdom.

Edit: Glad ennui-filled-ex-pat Daemon only lasted for like an episode and a half.

mweber fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 3, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jamwad Hilder posted:

theres an interactive map of westeros (not the show specifically) here: http://quartermaester.info/

but about 90% of the show has been here. With a couple other spots sprinkled in, many also visible on this snippet of the map (Harrenal, Pentos, Kingswood, The Vale, etc)

Might be a stupid question then, but where are the Velaryons from? Originally Valyria, I know, but are they just hanging out on Driftmark then?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
My wife is justifiably irritated that all Velaryons are Valyrians but not all Valyrians are Velaryons. great writing george

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CornHolio posted:

Might be a stupid question then, but where are the Velaryons from? Originally Valyria, I know, but are they just hanging out on Driftmark then?

They’ve been hanging out on Driftmark since before the Targaryens roosted on Dragonstone.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Targaryen’s avoided the Doom because of magic dreams, the Velaryons avoided it because they love the sea.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TeaJay posted:

"If I'm Lord of Driftmark, it means everyone's dead" ouch

The whole funeral is insanely awkward.

I liked how uncomfortable the funeral was. No one in this world knows how to handle their emotions which feels realistic considering the kinda place Westeros is.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's funny to me that Larys is a baby level schemer, it's funny that Alicent and the show call it out but like...characters like Varys and Littlefinger you had difficulty perceiving their motivations early on whereas Larys will just stare at you at every public gathering all like :B if ur working together

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lolling at the kings landing crew collectively groaning as the boat turns back around when they get the laenor news

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at the post upthread calling laenor v qarl a pokemon challenge battle

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol at Criston’s “the kingsguard never had to protect princes from each other” bullshit, I’m surprised none of the Targaryen scholars in the room called him on it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's funny to me that Larys is a baby level schemer, it's funny that Alicent and the show call it out but like...characters like Varys and Littlefinger you had difficulty perceiving their motivations early on whereas Larys will just stare at you at every public gathering all like :B if ur working together
If the sex sleuth was still around, he'd have determined that Larys was loving Alicent.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Admiral Bosch posted:

My wife is justifiably irritated that all Velaryons are Valyrians but not all Valyrians are Velaryons. great writing george

If she hears about an American named "French" does she just go crazy?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

im with wife here. i always thought it was velay-ron. sounds better.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TeaJay posted:

The whole funeral is insanely awkward.

The whole time in that scene I was thinking to myself "yeah this is why the Starks, Greyjoys, and Martells stay the hell out of King's Landing politics".

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Viserys by the season finale (still being voiced by a cheerful Paddy Considine):

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Roman Reigns posted:

The whole time in that scene I was thinking to myself "yeah this is why the Starks, Greyjoys, and Martells stay the hell out of King's Landing politics".

The Martells recently had a 90+ year old blind woman throw a dude out of a tower historically too

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Do the Valyrons have a huge fall from grace between now and GOT? Seems like another family of potential dragonriders would’ve been a bigger deal.

Is everyone just over the whole pureblood Valerian thing by the time we get to GOT?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Admiral Bosch posted:

This video was cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfY4qenj4k

vell-ARR-yon!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

mweber posted:

Do the Valyrons have a huge fall from grace between now and GOT? Seems like another family of potential dragonriders would’ve been a bigger deal.

Is everyone just over the whole pureblood Valerian thing by the time we get to GOT?

There are no living dragons in GOT (Dany's excluded). Saying anything else might be a spoiler for this story, so let's stop there.

EDIT: Although I should note that they are not Dragonlords. Laenor and his sister are children of a Targ mother.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

mweber posted:

Dragons are all dead by the time of GOT.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There are no living dragons in GOT (Dany's excluded). Saying anything else might be a spoiler for this story, so let's stop there.

EDIT: Although I should note that they are not Dragonlords. Laenor and his sister are children of a Targ mother.

Got it. I forgot that Laenor and his sister were part Targ.

Thanks!

tatankatonk posted:

Dragons are all dead by the time of GOT.

Yeah, I worded that badly. I was wondering why they didn’t pop up after Dany’s dragons hatched. But they’re not dragonriders, so it’s a moot point.

mweber fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Episode still doesn't beat the scene with the kid who sticks a sword into someones guts for insulting his honor and manhood. How did that scene play out in the book?