Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

masterpine posted:

One of our middling-to-okay clan members lost a bet a few months ago and was forced to only play the U-2501 until he had 500 games in it. He's a 55% WR player and has finished his insane stupid grind with a WR of 76% on the U-2501 averaging 160K damage. Once you have even the most basic understanding of how they work you can just press W, ratfuck anything within range of you and win games.

The most broken aspect of submarines is this dogshit playerbase. 99% of sub players are T6/7 Co-op battle mouth-breathers that passively grind out access to a TX submarine and poo poo up games. The remaining 1% are the worst human beings on the planet, motherfucks who know that just by having hands they'll outplay the enemy submarine and tilt the match heavily into their favor.

His final action after playing 500+ games of loving submarines was to change his account password to a random string, send it to our clan leader and tell him to only give it back to him after a month.

I've personally enjoyed the anniversary grind because I've just stuck to Operations. Decent rewards, fun playing all sorts of T8 ships and very little care if we win or lose. Had a 550k damage game on Narai in a Cleveland which was hilarious. Clan Wars being on helps too because I get my competitive fix a few nights a week from that.

And just remember, no matter how broken subs are, this was 0.8.0 CVs

https://twitch.tv/videos/375190716

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

My back. It is broken.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
God, how? What did the team score screen look like? You've probably closed it by now but for gently caress's sake.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

General Battuta posted:

God, how? What did the team score screen look like? You've probably closed it by now but for gently caress's sake.

I capped, no one else did. They stayed in spawn so far back that their dd spotted our CV AT THE MAP EDGE and he got nuked by BBs sniping from the caps. I held an entire flank with an Atlanta alone with no support save for a Bismarck who stayed at the map edge on our side. The point deficit was just too great and our full health Minnesota lost a gunfight with a half health Iowa. The Adriatico on their team was detected the entire game and...no one shot at him, even when he was capping.

I tanked 1.8 million damage and yet only had 35k spotting damage. It was insanity. And on their team they had a tier 8 DD literally just enter a cap, afk, and get murdered to start so they had morons too.

This was from a few days back, but this is what it took to just barely win a game the other day:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

It's very funny to make the game worse for everyone, because the developers have to justify their investment in poo poo that didn't work by buffing it until people play it, and then say you're 'harvesting tears'.

I'm having fun playing a dumb boat game. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with my daughter. If you don't like where the game is, don't play it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm having fun playing a dumb boat game. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with my daughter. If you don't like where the game is, don't play it.

That does seem to be the general reaction! Thus the last page of complaints about the declining player quality. People don’t like where the game is, so they aren’t playing it.

Wargaming’s strategy is totally bent. They need to double down on subs to justify the huge amount of budget they’ve spent on them. They don’t care about player retention, they want to pull new players with fresh credit cards. But the new player experience is awful - hitting a wall of double CV matches at tier 4/5 is some psycho poo poo, you don’t even have fig leaf AA.

So their overall plan seems to be “make everyone quit, replace them with new players, treat them like poo poo.” I don’t really see the method behind the madness

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

That does seem to be the general reaction! Thus the last page of complaints about the declining player quality. People don’t like where the game is, so they aren’t playing it.

Wargaming’s strategy is totally bent. They need to double down on subs to justify the huge amount of budget they’ve spent on them. They don’t care about player retention, they want to pull new players with fresh credit cards. But the new player experience is awful - hitting a wall of double CV matches at tier 4/5 is some psycho poo poo, you don’t even have fig leaf AA.

So their overall plan seems to be “make everyone quit, replace them with new players, treat them like poo poo.” I don’t really see the method behind the madness

People keep saying that people are leaving the game, but that's not actually the case. Even looking at Steam numbers they've been pretty steady for over a year. Lots of bitter vets in this game and people who think a casual game is going to be a competitive game or some such.

Double CVs are a problem in early tiers. WG seem to have turbo hosed their MM.

General rule of thumb. If your form of entertainment makes you angry, it's not longer a form of entertainment for you :).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The game is still good, and subs will not make the sky fall in. Yes I would prefer if they didn't do it but tbh its a bit like CVs - I have about 1 game in 100 where I think a CV has really annoyed me.

The game has always had something to complain about. Anyone remember RTS CVs, and invis-firing Zao's? Or how for at least a year the only two T10 BBs were Yamato, which was hilariously OP, and Montana, which was poo poo?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

People keep saying that people are leaving the game, but that's not actually the case. Even looking at Steam numbers they've been pretty steady for over a year. Lots of bitter vets in this game and people who think a casual game is going to be a competitive game or some such.

Double CVs are a problem in early tiers. WG seem to have turbo hosed their MM.

General rule of thumb. If your form of entertainment makes you angry, it's not longer a form of entertainment for you :).

Peak players are down about 2-3k per month from 2020. Obviously that was pandemic related, but, the point is there was a surge of popularity when everyone was stuck inside, and it's slowly bleeding away. As evidenced by the number of bots seen at low and mid tiers, there aren't a lot of new players coming in either.

Why wouldn't people expect a game that has been supported by several hundred thousand dollars in prize money, plus other prize perks, in officially supported tournaments to be competitve? A game with a dedicated competitive mode in clan battles, with global leaderboards and extremely high in game rewards for good performance? A game who, according to the business development manager I spoke with at PAX, is aggressively trying to establish a college e-sports presence? (yeah I know, good luck with that, but the fact remains the company certainly WANTS aspects of the game to be competitive).

And, "why do you get upset that the thing you used to love so much is being ruined by easily avoidable choices" is a pretty odd take.

toadee fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 21, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

People keep saying that people are leaving the game, but that's not actually the case. Even looking at Steam numbers they've been pretty steady for over a year. Lots of bitter vets in this game and people who think a casual game is going to be a competitive game or some such..

It’s perfectly possible for people to leave the game and for playercount to remain steady. You just need your new player influx to match your player mortality. But this apparently isn’t a growth strategy for WG, since counts aren’t going up. They’re just trying to churn through as many players as possible to hook whales and get what they can from a game that’s not growing.

It’s also perfectly possible to enjoy the good aspects of something while criticizing the bad. If your form of entertainment requires you to say “this doesn’t matter and it’s for babies,” maybe you’d be just as entertained doing anything else.

“I am very easily pleased” is a nice state to exist in, but it’s not great for exerting pressure on a company to do better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Also “I can still enjoy the game” is a very different take from “I seek out and enjoy the frustration of other players”.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

General Battuta posted:

It’s perfectly possible for people to leave the game and for playercount to remain steady. You just need your new player influx to match your player mortality. But this apparently isn’t a growth strategy for WG, since counts aren’t going up. They’re just trying to churn through as many players as possible to hook whales and get what they can from a game that’s not growing.

They are also introducing server meshing next year and uhh you don't start unifying servers when your game is doing amazing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Peak players are down about 2-3k per month from 2020. Obviously that was pandemic related, but, the point is there was a surge of popularity when everyone was stuck inside, and it's slowly bleeding away. As evidenced by the number of bots seen at low and mid tiers, there aren't a lot of new players coming in either.

Why wouldn't people expect a game that has been supported by several hundred thousand dollars in prize money, plus other prize perks, in officially supported tournaments to be competitve? A game with a dedicated competitive mode in clan battles, with global leaderboards and extremely high in game rewards for good performance? A game who, according to the business development manager I spoke with at PAX, is aggressively trying to establish a college e-sports presence? (yeah I know, good luck with that, but the fact remains the company certainly WANTS aspects of the game to be competitive).

And, "why do you get upset that the thing you used to love so much is being ruined by easily avoidable choices" is a pretty odd take.

People have constantly bitched about things in this game since day one. DDs, HE spammers, CVs, subs, etc. It gets old hearing it.

Maybe it's not the game for you anymore? I used to love the Battlefield games, played hundreds upon hundreds of hours across many games. When I stopped liking where the games were going I stopped playing. Used to play WoT a whole lot, same story there. Maybe I'm weird about stuff like this. When I don't like something anymore I just move on (games, tv, etc).

It's not a competitive e-sports game in the slightest no matter how hard WG tries to sell it as such. WG aren't a good enough developer to get things balanced, long lasting bugs squashed, etc. The whole monetization scheme is the anti-thesis to a proper competitive e-sports game on top of it all. Anyone coming into this game, or continuing to think that it's a serious competitive game, will be disappointed at the very least.

General Battuta posted:

It’s also perfectly possible to enjoy the good aspects of something while criticizing the bad. If your form of entertainment requires you to say “this doesn’t matter and it’s for babies,” maybe you’d be just as entertained doing anything else.

Sure, in the same vein you could be entertained by something else that doesn't cause you mental anguish because someone is flying some planes around, or diving under the water.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

But the game is fun(nish) when nobody is flying planes around, or diving under the water.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sucks for you then I guess :(.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Yeah, that's their point: they're not having fun.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

People have constantly bitched about things in this game since day one. DDs, HE spammers, CVs, subs, etc. It gets old hearing it.

Maybe it's not the game for you anymore? I used to love the Battlefield games, played hundreds upon hundreds of hours across many games. When I stopped liking where the games were going I stopped playing. Used to play WoT a whole lot, same story there. Maybe I'm weird about stuff like this. When I don't like something anymore I just move on (games, tv, etc).

It's not a competitive e-sports game in the slightest no matter how hard WG tries to sell it as such. WG aren't a good enough developer to get things balanced, long lasting bugs squashed, etc. The whole monetization scheme is the anti-thesis to a proper competitive e-sports game on top of it all. Anyone coming into this game, or continuing to think that it's a serious competitive game, will be disappointed at the very least.

Sure, in the same vein you could be entertained by something else that doesn't cause you mental anguish because someone is flying some planes around, or diving under the water.

Tier 10, minus subs and CVs, is very well balanced competitively, with room for lots of interacting strategies.

I don't not like the game, I just don't like certain aspects of it.

In the end, if you don't understand why "I enjoy torturing people who are trying to have fun" is a thing that other people don't like, and is a thing that will make other people not like you, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe stop torturing people for fun?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Tier 10, minus subs and CVs, is very well balanced competitively, with room for lots of interacting strategies.

I don't not like the game, I just don't like certain aspects of it.

In the end, if you don't understand why "I enjoy torturing people who are trying to have fun" is a thing that other people don't like, and is a thing that will make other people not like you, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe stop torturing people for fun?

*is really well balanced*

*needs to have a bunch of ships banned or else everyone will run the same comp*

Tell me more :allears:

I don't really care what people like or dislike when I'm playing a game. Unless they are paying me to play their opinion maters less than nothing. Like why would I care that someone is upset that I'm flying some planes around, or that my daughter giggles like a maniac when I make the sub go up down? I'm having fun, she's having fun, end of story. The tears of some players are are just an extra reward I guess.

Minenfeld! posted:

Yeah, that's their point: they're not having fun.

Don't play and/or do things that are no longer fun. Crazy life hacks itt.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Again, “just chill and vibe” is a very different take from “I actively take pleasure in making the game worse for others and hearing their complaints”.

You’re sending very mixed signals here!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

Again, “just chill and vibe” is a very different take from “I actively take pleasure in making the game worse for others and hearing their complaints”.

You’re sending very mixed signals here!

I said I enjoy harvesting the tears, not that I'm actively looking to do so, much in the same way some players think it's ok to criticize people for playing a game with the tools and toys provided. I get to harvest the tears if you provide them.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
It's me, I'm the sky cancer. (but gently caress subs)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sure. But that just takes us back to “I know I’m making the game less fun for others, but the game lets me do it so I will.”

Which - while a thing you can do - is not really prosocial, since the end state of everyone acting like that is a game with no surface ships and 4v4 sub/CV matches. Your fun depends on other people NOT taking your advice and quitting. You need us to be your content.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't think writing multi paragraph screeds against people who call you a griefer when you brag about griefing really helps the "I just play this game to vibe, imagine caring about a casual game for children" case

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Playing subs and CVs is griefing lmfao.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Playing subs and CVs is griefing lmfao.

To the extent that it requires other players to accept their role as your content, sure, it is.

You’ve talked a lot about how it’s not your business whether anyone else is having fun. If they’re not, they should quit. But what do you do if everyone else takes your advice? Who’s left to bomb and torpedo? People who enjoy being NPCs in someone else’s game?

Doesn’t that strike you as a little antisocial? gently caress you, got mine, quit if it’s not fun, there’ll always be someone else dumb enough to install?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Not very Kantian of you imo

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

You’ve talked a lot about how it’s not your business whether anyone else is having fun. If they’re not, they should quit. But what do you do if everyone else takes your advice? Who’s left to bomb and torpedo? People who enjoy being NPCs in someone else’s game?

Bots, unlike ships CVs have identical gameplay in coop as in random battles so the only reason to play them in the latter is griefing. You can even make a 12v12 training room and fill the remaining 23 slots with bot battleships so it lasts as long as possible, or play operations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Petition to be renamed Griefer McGrieFace, tia.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think this has inspired me to grind the final ranked sprint in only FDR.

(Jokes on me, FDR sucks really).

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I came back after a about a year and half and have been playing fairly regularly again. I’m traveling for work and it’s one of the only modern games my laptop will run at decent settings.

There aren’t as many subs as I expected, and most of the sub players are terrible, but 1/10 games I get a really good sub player focus on me and there is almost nothing I can do. Other than that, it feels like everyone plays even more conservatively/long range than before. It makes randoms really boring, but I’ve had some fun in ranked due to the smaller maps. I’ve just embraced being a long range HE spam rear end in a top hat and use my Yoshino most of the time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So the new American hybrid BBs have an experimental anti-submarine attack flight. It drops one bomb and has a 30 second cooldown, meaning that with the average expected damage (533) you'll need to drop bombs for 17,7 minutes and hit every one of them to sink a T8 submarine.

What the gently caress is even the point? And why even pretend that any of these motherfuckers are actually even playing their own game?

I have to say subs will probably kill off any remaining desire for me to play the game again. They're just such a loving shitshow, and WG will cram them down our throats in a broken state because they have get Engagement and player numbers to validate the three years they've spent polishing this pile of poo poo.

E: and also a Chinese Sovetsky Soyuz with 457mm guns, a 26 second reload, improved accuracy and increased range. Just what the game needed.

E2:

What the gently caress is this explanation for the ship's name:

quote:

From the foot to the top of the 450-meter peak of the Purple Mountain below the city of Nanjing in China lies an enormous memorial shrine, which more than 90 years ago became an integral part of the picturesque panorama of the surrounding landscape. Since 1929 a man who was honoured with the title "Father of the Nation" has been laid to rest here. The first president of the Republic of China, Sun Yat-Sen (1866-1925), who was the founding father of modern China, is not only one of the most revered political figures in the country, but a symbol of national unity and rebirth, binding and uniting all Chinese.

This is why when we at World of Warships created a design for a battleship representing a further evolution of the "Sovetsky Soyuz" battleships of the 1950s, with an even more powerful main caliber and upgraded artillery and electronic armament, we felt that such a monumental ship would be worthy of bearing the name of such an outstanding historical figure from the Middle Kingdom.

With other ships it's like "yeah the traditions of this navy are to name ships after X, Y and Z so we named this thing X" and here it's ahh such a glorious monumental ship worthy of being named after the glorious leader of the perfect outstanding eternal kingdom.

Is Victor trying to ward off a Chinese arrest warrant or are they just super gung ho about sucking up to Chinese players and getting more money from there?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 30, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh and a battle pass, because of course.

Progress is tied to daily and weekly missions so better be logging in every day if you want to progress that thing!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah...like with CVs, I just can't as upset about subs, battlepass or some new random premium BB (wtf, is it really that bad?).

As I understand it, after the battlepass comes in you get exactly the same as currently but can pay more for extra rewards. Not my cup of tea but every other game is doing it so I guess? I can login nearly every day already and 1 game with a blue XP booster will get 2 containers - thats kind of my minimum every day.

Adding these anti-sub attacks to CVs is just stupid - isn't going to affect the game in the slightest, but its just loving stupid. Subs themselves, I'm against them but the saving grace for now is that for me they are still pretty rare. My concern is that when they come to the tech-tree they will be more common. Maybe thats whats needed to really show WG how much of a shitshow they are. They do seem to be slow learners, or like don't play their own game.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

kaesarsosei posted:

Adding these anti-sub attacks to CVs is just stupid - isn't going to affect the game in the slightest, but its just loving stupid.

its even more stupid than you think: https://twitter.com/flamuchz/status/1575777000496582656?cxt=HHwWgMCi_ai1pN4rAAAA - the automated carrier ASW is more accurate and deals more damage in a large radius than the player controlled one because of course WeeGees pet class cant be harmed

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I still have a hard time understanding the thought process behind the decision to have the surface bubble from a sub not be where the sub is actually at.
Had one about 8km away, dropped two planes on it, no hits, friendly BB and CA also did. Nothing. Sub surfaced a few seconds and it was a good 1.5km away from that point.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It would be extremely funny if they designed the sonar whitecap thing to protect subs from being depth charged by attracting the depth charge airstrikes to the wrong place.

It would be even more funny if they did that, by accident

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

I still have a hard time understanding the thought process behind the decision to have the surface bubble from a sub not be where the sub is actually at.

"We want players to play submarines in large enough numbers to make it worth the time and money we sunk into making these loving things work, and if they weren't completely idiot proof that might not happen".

See: them removing underwater proxy spotting because literally it led to bad sub players wondering too far out, getting spotted and then dying. And we can't be having that. If surface players could accurately pinpoint a sub that was pinging, that would also lead to bad sub players dying and we still can't be having that.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Sounds like I should play subs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I just watched a team throw from 999 points. We were up by a couple ships, some 500 points, and about one tick of the processor clock from winning when my team just...started dying. A Petro driven by some KSC guy pressed W and drove at my team, and they ran out in front of it, broadside on, one at a time, like they were auditioning for the role of 'doorknob' in No Country for Old Men. Yamato, Minotaur, Kearsarge, some destroyer, some other cruiser I forget, each of them just...sailing out and taking its turn to get blown away.

If we hadn't had an Oland that beached itself in a corner of the map and couldn't get unstuck, we would've lost the match completely, but it was still alive when the timer hit 0 and fortunately we were still up on points. I was losing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Had one about 8km away, dropped two planes on it, no hits, friendly BB and CA also did. Nothing. Sub surfaced a few seconds and it was a good 1.5km away from that point.

Genuine question - if I see the white line thing from when a sub pings me, where should I aim the depth charge airstrike? Not trying to be facetious, I just don't know and its completely un-intuitive.