Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Ahahaha, the new league system is being undermined by one of the clubs that have nothing to play for.

The top three are untouchable, but the much coveted fourth place is still up for grabs by four teams. Which leaves three teams with nothing to play for during the remainder of the regular season, and Arna-Bjørnar managed to score a training game with Chelsea ahead of the WSL starting up and as it stands they're set to travel to London and play the game on Friday at 11am, before they then travel to Oslo to play Lyn on Sunday. Lyn is well within striking shot of 4th place and now they're pretty much guaranteed the 3 points from that game as Arna-Bjørnar will be in no state to put up a fight after having played one of the best clubs in the world just two days previous, so obviously the Stabæk coach is livid and I expect Kolbotn, LSK and probably the rest of the league to join in soon as the Norwegian Football Federation apparently gave Arna-Bjørnar their blessing to schedule the match so close to a league game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Every post of yours on this saga makes the NFF look stupider and stupider. I fully expect your next post to be about how two teams sat down once the opening whistle sounded and refused to play out of protest.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

whypick1 posted:

Every post of yours on this saga makes the NFF look stupider and stupider.
It's worth noting they invested quite a lot of effort and some more-or-less clever sleight of hand into being this stupid.

They originally wanted to implement this idiocy in the men's league around ten years ago, but the Dutch consultancy report they used got so thoroughly shot down they discarded those plans in (IIRC) 2014. Then they put Karen Espelund in charge of a commission to figure out how to improve women's football in Norway. Espelund was in charge of the NFF back when they (she) realised that nobody gave much of a toss about women's football, so they could probably win medals with very little investment, which they did (she since got ousted by the clownshow that led to this league structure and also made Ada Hegerberg throw up her hands and leave the NT). So just having her name on the commission's report made it more difficult to criticise.

The report did identify quite a few problems, but instead of directly addressing them (more money to clubs so domestic players could train full-time instead of combining jobs/studies with training etc.) it recommended changing the league structure, which would magically make all problems go away. When this recommendation was met with choruses of "this is dumb" (albeit not as loud as in the previous round, as fewer people care about women's football), the NFF changed the recommendation the night before it was supposed to be voted for in the federation congress (the vote was the next morning). They managed to push past a suggestion that voting got postponed so the clubs could figure out what on earth they were voting for, as the new recommendation was quite different to what the clubs had discussed before sending their delegates, and voted for the change against the wishes of most of the clubs actually affected.

And here we are.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh, so they're being *actively* stupid, got it.

Anywho, have a highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMl-7SSozBo

(They lost 3-1 though)

And a lowlight:

https://twitter.com/AttackingThird/status/1557549208701243393

(They won 2-1 though)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

whypick1 posted:

(They won 2-1 though)

way to omit this stoppage time winning heat from Weaver & Sugita
https://twitter.com/FotMob/status/1557698345744809984

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Like hell am I going to highlights of my team's biggest rival winning a game :colbert:

highme
May 25, 2001

fair

didn't hear it from me but there's supposed to be a scathing article about Merritt & co published tomorrow Sunday. I've been hearing about it for months so it could get pushed back again.

highme fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 12, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Guessing this is said article. "Scathing" might be overstating it (granted, the Polo and Parsons Riley incidents set a rather high bar), but from reading this it sure sounds like Mike Golub thinks he's Michael Scott but he's actually a more dickish David Brent (so Ricky Gervais).

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 14, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Guessing this is said article. "Scathing" might be overstating it (granted, the Polo and Parsons incidents set a rather high bar), but from reading this it sure sounds like Mike Golub thinks he's Michael Scott but he's actually a more dickish David Brent (so Ricky Gervais).

Polo & Riley incidents. MarPar left here loved. TBH it's not as bad as I'd been told, but also every single woman I know that gives a poo poo about the org has a much stronger reaction to that than I do. Offering up a dusty electric closet to pump breast milk on game days because the only other option was Merritt's suite is definitely a big yikesarooo though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'd have a much stronger reaction if I weren't a dude. I can still recognize that that is some grade A bullshit though.

And yep, I done goofed mixing up Riley and Parsons.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1561305997574127617?s=20&t=WdVE33Pcdp9hrRxXaMvTxA

Some interesting points here. And they all track coming from Norway where NFF said it was impossible to find a general sponsor for the league, only to have the league interest group (TFK) land the largest sponsorship deal for the league like two months after they were told they could have a go. Not to mention the new TV-rights deal for domestic football that was signed in 2020 where the women's league weren't allowed to have a single representative in the negotiations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The NFF seems to be especially head-up-rear end, but it's a problem throughout the entire world. I mean, look at the vast improvement Spain made in a very short period of time just by not having a bunch of misogynist assholes running their women's game. And look at how often it's turning out that NWSL coaches are abusers and/or sex pests and how hard the USWNT had to fight to get US Soccer to pay what they owe.

On a professional soccer level, tho, I'm not sure I love European leagues poaching talent from the NWSL. I want the best league in the world, damnit!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think it would be great for womens football to get out of FIFA but I think attempting to get FIFA to pay for it while they split off seems like a recipe for disaster. You know they’ll manage to somehow make it so they get paid for eternity while offering a pittance to whatever is formed for 5 years before it turns one sided. The teams and leagues themselves need to do this together.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Remember that wild story last year about a PSG player getting attacked and one of her teammates being the lead suspect? Said teammate is back in custody and has been charged for orchestrating the attack after the four attackers were arrested earlier this week.

Fun. Fun fun fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

We're almost at the finish line of the NWSL regular season and things are extremely close.

code:
+---------+--------+-----+----+----+--+----------------------+
| Team    | Points | GD  | W  | GF |  | Remaining   Schedule |
+---------+--------+-----+----+----+--+-----------+----------+
| POR     | 35     | 22  | 9  | 43 |  | CHI       | @NJY     |
| SD      | 34     | 11  | 10 | 30 |  | @ORL      | NCC      |
| RGN     | 34     | 8   | 9  | 27 |  | @HOU      | ORL      |
| HOU     | 33     | 9   | 9  | 33 |  | RGN       | @WAS     |
| KCC     | 33     | -2  | 9  | 26 |  | WAS       | @LOU     |
| CHI     | 30     | 7   | 8  | 32 |  | @POR      | LA       |
| -----------------------PLAYOFFS----------------------------|
| LA      | 29     | 0   | 8  | 22 |  | LOU       | @CHI     |
| NCC     | 28     | 10  | 8  | 43 |  | NJY       | @SD      |
| ORL - x | 21     | -20 | 5  | 20 |  | SD        | RGN      |
| WAS - x | 19     | -3  | 3  | 25 |  | @KCC      | HOU      |
| LOU - x | 17     | -15 | 3  | 19 |  | @LA       | KCC      |
| NJY - x | 12     | -27 | 4  | 13 |  | @NCC      | POR      |
KC and San Diego look like they have a rather easy path, while Chicago is going to have to fight like hell to keep that final playoff spot, especially with their game against LA being the last one of the regular season (annoyingly the last matchday is not all simultaneous and is even split across 3 days :sigh:). Anywho, everyone root for Portland to lose out because they don't deserve nice things.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, look at the vast improvement Spain made in a very short period of time just by not having a bunch of misogynist assholes running their women's game.

Speaking of Spain.

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1573248103800623104?s=20&t=KZxrmXTqAzSaU_g51EMRsw

quote:

Fifteen players on Spain’s national women’s soccer team have said they will not play under its current coach, sparking a public mutiny that drew a stern rebuke from the Spanish soccer federation.

The 15 players this week wrote identical letters, according to a statement released by the federation on Thursday, in which they threatened to quit the national team unless their coach, Jorge Vilda, was fired. The athletes, according to news reports in Spain, are frustrated at several aspects of Vilda’s approach, and the federation’s statement alluded to those concerns, saying the players had written about the effect of Vilda’s management and coaching style on “their emotional state and their health.”

The federation responded by saying that not only would it not fire Vilda, who has led Spain since 2015, but that the players must apologize for their actions before they will be allowed back on the team.

In giving its backing to Vilda, the federation also issued a stern warning to the players that they face bans of between two and five years for what it described as a “very serious infraction.”

The federation “is not going to allow the players to question the continuity of the national coach and his coaching staff, since making those decisions does not fall within their powers,” it said.

[...]

The federation did not disclose the names of the 15 players who called for Vilda’s ouster. But Spanish news reports said six players from the Champions League runner-up, Barcelona, were among those who had written to the federation, but that Paredes, the captain, and Putellas were not among them. Players on Real Madrid’s roster also did not submit complaints, the reports said.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 23, 2022

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/skinnykenobi/status/1573355379362304000

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The penultimate matchday of the NWSL season just wrapped a little bit ago and here's where we stand:

code:
+------+---------+-----+----+-----+----+--+------------+
| Rank | Team    | Pts | W  | GD  | GF |  | Final Game |
|                   First Round   Bye                  |
| 1    | POR - y | 38  | 10 | 25  | 46 |  | @NJY       |
| 2    | RGN - y | 37  | 10 | 10  | 29 |  | ORL        |
|                  First Round   Home                  |
| 3    | KCC - y | 36  | 10 | 1   | 29 |  | @LOU       |
| 4    | SD - y  | 35  | 10 | 11  | 32 |  | NCC        |
|                  First Round   Away                  |
| 5    | HOU     | 33  | 9  | 7   | 33 |  | @WAS       |
| 6    | NCC     | 31  | 9  | 13  | 46 |  | @SD        |
|                      Eliminated                      |
| 7    | CHI     | 30  | 8  | 4   | 32 |  | LA         |
| 8    | LA      | 29  | 8  | -2  | 23 |  | @CHI       |
| 9    | ORL - x | 22  | 5  | -20 | 22 |  | @RGN       |
| 10   | LOU - x | 20  | 3  | -13 | 22 |  | KCC        |
| 11   | WAS - x | 19  | 3  | -6  | 25 |  | HOU        |
| 12   | NJY - x | 12  | 4  | -30 | 13 |  | POR        |
North Carolina Courage @ San Diego Wave (9/30, 10PM EST, P+) - San Diego needs a win to secure hosting a playoff game or a draw to essentially clinch it. Courage will book their ticket with a win (can do no better than 5th), but any worse leaves an opportunity for Chicago or Angel City to leapfrog them.

Portland Thorns @ NJ/NY Gotham (10/1, 6PM EST, P+) - Portland will claim the shield with a win, but could drop as low as 4th with any other result. Gotham meanwhile is on a 12 game losing streak...the season is 24 games...:stonk: So yeah, Portland is basically guaranteed the shield.

Houston Dash @ Washington Spirit (10/1, 7PM EST, P+) - A draw will be enough for Houston to punch their ticket, but with a win they could host a playoff game. Washington's season technically peaked outside of the season when they won the Challenge Cup as in the regular season they won on opening day back in May...and win #2 would not come until September.

KC Current @ Racing Louisville (10/1, 7:30PM EST, Twitch) - Current will hold on to their home playoff game with a draw while they still have a shot at earning the Shield if they win. Louisville doesn't even have extracurricular hardware to fall back on like Washington, as they lost the Women's Cup final to OL Reign last month.

Orlando Pride @ OL Reign (10/1, 10PM EST, Twitch) - Reign need a win to keep their bye and have their best shot at taking the shield. Orlando has been eliminated for some time now and will probably wish they didn't choked away a 2-0 lead in their last home game before having to end their season travelling to the opposite corner of the country to play in a fortress.

Angel City @ Chicago Red Stars (10/2, 6PM EST, P+) - This could either be the only meaningless game this matchday (Courage Win and Houston Win/Draw sets the playoff field) or the most important one as the winner of this one could take the final playoff spot. Both teams will be rooting for Courage to not win, but Chicago has it slightly easier as they *could* leapfrog Houston should the Dash fail to win if Chicago can win and make up a GD of 3. Angel City specifically needs the Courage to not pick up any points unless they think they can make up a GD of 15 in a single match. In any event, I'm really annoyed that all of these games are happening over the course of 3 days and not kicking off at the exact same time.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 26, 2022

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

I've been bombarded with news about the spanish team drama for weeks and I still don't get what their point is, aside that they don't like the coach and want him replaced. The Federation has dealt with this in a pretty tactless way, as ever, however trying to strong-arm the Federation in public to accept your demands is not exactly a sensible choice either.

Any charitable goon can explain to me what is really going on here?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Did you not actually read their letter? They don’t want him replaced. The Federation that escalated the whole situation and put those words in their mouths.

The problem is that at every step the coaching staff and federation are treating them like children and not professionals. They tried to fix it in private, but then the RFEF overreacted.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spain-womens-soccer-national-team-coach-jorge-vilda-resign-223356425.html

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been bombarded with news about the spanish team drama for weeks and I still don't get what their point is, aside that they don't like the coach and want him replaced. The Federation has dealt with this in a pretty tactless way, as ever, however trying to strong-arm the Federation in public to accept your demands is not exactly a sensible choice either.

Any charitable goon can explain to me what is really going on here?

Lack of respect and vision seems to be the main points.

From the Guardian:

quote:

For some of those players, the reference to their emotional state, their health, was not empty words. There is no suggestion of inappropriate behaviour, but the relationship with Vilda had broken down – insofar as there was even a relationship at all, and the impact of that was detrimental to them all. Now the relationship with the federation has too, played out in public and only getting worse. A subsequent statement published by the players on Friday night deepened the divide.

Many of the Spain players consider Vilda controlling; most consider him incapable. He had also become a symbol of something wider: a sense, borne out repeatedly, that Rubiales did not truly believe in women’s football. The means they chose, according to those close to the players, the only means they could. The statement from the players on Friday lamented that it had “come to this extreme” in order to “advance”.

In part, this can be seen as part of a process of professionalisation in women’s football in Spain: as the game progresses, as the level rises and demands increase, so some get left behind. Put bluntly, many players believe that Vilda should have been. Instead, he is still there, seven years after taking over as national team coach. Others are too. They, meanwhile, have become increasingly aware of their collective cause, of the success they could and perhaps should aspire to, ambition they feel others have failed to share.

[...]

For some Spain players joining the national team has become something to endure, not enjoy. One source close to them talks of anxiety, players in tears, of an atmosphere that is unsustainable. There is little communication with Vilda, who is the coach and sporting director in one and who they see as overbearing. The environment has become tense, unpleasant at times.

Some within the squad consider the coach to be in a position that he does not merit, put there more by personal relationships than qualifications, protected by the president who they doubt truly believes in women’s football. In their view, others who are equally unqualified occupy positions of power round him.

Vilda’s tactics, methods and group management have faced internal criticism by players who demand more, his gameplans considered deficient or even nonexistent. A statement released by the players on Friday reiterated that they had not called for his sacking “as has been claimed” but had “expressed constructively and honestly what we think can improve the performance of the group”.

Spain are no longer at the level they were in 2015, but far beyond it, Vilda becoming in many of their eyes a symbol of something far bigger: of a federation not keeping pace with that progress. The players decided something had to be done. Traditional routes were unavailable to them so they opted for collective action.

Worth remembering that the Spanish FA is complete trash and the previous coach, Ignacio Quereda, got the position in 1988 and held it until 2015(!). The job was widely seen as a "favour" from his friends at the RFEF and he was a complete rear end in a top hat who was only let go after the entire 23-woman squad from the 2015 WWC publicly asked for him to be fired.

There's a thread here with excerpt from the docu about Ignacio and the team:
https://twitter.com/OmVAsports/status/1454126071994015747?s=20&t=9qQlLcxe1XXzEiPyx-pk1g

There's also some fun stuff happening on the higher level of the RFEF:

quote:

The standoff is the latest crisis in the turbulent tenure of Rubiales, the federation chief since 2018 who, in one of his first acts as president, fired the coach of Spain’s men’s national team on the eve of its opening match at the 2018 World Cup. More recently, Rubiales has been under scrutiny after leaked messages revealed a questionable management style and business practices. Rubiales’s uncle, whom he had appointed to his staff on the Spanish federation, has accused the soccer president of using soccer funds to pay for lavish private events. Rubiales has denied those claims.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Nybble posted:

Did you not actually read their letter? They don’t want him replaced. The Federation that escalated the whole situation and put those words in their mouths.

The problem is that at every step the coaching staff and federation are treating them like children and not professionals. They tried to fix it in private, but then the RFEF overreacted.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spain-womens-soccer-national-team-coach-jorge-vilda-resign-223356425.html

I know they haven't said those literal words, at least not in public. Not that they have said much of anything since the captains met with the coach and the president of the RFEF last august, except for denying they after Vilda's head and the recent email issue and the aformentioned letter.

What misgivings and grievances did they talked with them? What's the problem and what's they are after , exactly? Is this really a strictly sporting problem or there's something more? Until they are open about this and speak their mind loud and clear, spanish public opinion won't wholeheartedly support them, and that's a real loving problem.

The article you have posted is pretty interesting, specifically the link to an article from 'Mundo Deportivo' that I missed and which explains this point a bit.

quote:

Beyond a greater demand in training and a dynamic of calls and technical decisions that they do not share, there are other reasons that have motivated many players of the Spanish women's team to have publicly requested not to be called and have exploded against the coach Jorge Vilda.

According to sources close to several of these players, in consultation with MD, they argue that the main reasons are related to an excess of control by the coach, sometimes unhealthy and that they even classify as "dictatorial". To give some examples, and according to what Mundo Deportivo has learned, Vilda forced the players to keep the doors of their rooms open until midnight to check that they were there before going to sleep, a decision that they consider to be an attempt against your privacy and against your rest. In fact, these sources point out, it was Vilda himself who was in charge of closing the door after verifying that the internationals were there. This measure, yes, was corrected a couple of years ago, after the players complained about it.

They also claim that the selector controlled them when they went shopping, to the point of checking their bags and their contents, and they even had to say who they were going to have coffee with. All movement was always subject to strict surveillance that made the players feel disturbed and self-conscious on many occasions, they say.

According to these same sources, the control dynamics of the rooms continues to be applied in the female teams of the lower categories.

Given this situation, the relationship between Vilda and the soccer players has become very tense and for many of the international players it has become unsustainable and very difficult to maintain, which has led to e-mails from 15 players of the national team who have requested "not to be summoned" for health reasons related to their "emotional and personal" state.

(machine translated)

Original source: https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/femenino/20220923/1001872889/motivos-jugadoras-han-explotado-jorge-vilda.html

Grimson posted:

Lack of respect and vision seems to be the main points.

From the Guardian:

Perhaps, or judging from the source posted above, they have been chafing from Vilda's overbearing methods and lack of results until they exploded. Unfortunately, both the RFEF and the players handled this situation pretty poorly and they are now locked into the current game of gay chicken. Fun times.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm reading so much into this, I haven't been really following football for years :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

in case you're like me and eyes glaze over trying to figure out the ways Portland doesn't win the Shield.

https://twitter.com/tayvincent6/status/1575234952408760320

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh cool, still applies this week:

https://twitter.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1574127812323287043?s=20&t=IVij_ORFaYZA6UtppScx_A

(It's an ad for treating Peryione's Disease, which is *not* something to look up on a work computer)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Spanish WNT manager has given his response to the player allegations: he left out all 15 players who signed that statement to the RFEF from the squad for the upcoming friendlies against Sweden and the United States.

quote:

Vilda accused the players who led the rebellion of being “poorly advised” and refused to offer them a way back, just eight months before the World Cup.

[later in article...]

“When I read their statement I felt confused because I don’t really know what they are demanding: I would have liked them to have spoken clearly,” Vilda said. “I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. The lack of clarity in the players’ messages, both here and in their statements has allowed for doubts. That has opened up the idea that there must be something non-sporting in all this – and that’s normal because none of this makes sense if that’s not the case.

“I call on all those players that I have ever worked with – the captains have said the treatment has been exquisite – to come out and say there was ever a lack of respect or with any complaint about my behaviour in my entire career. People have made accusations and then hidden.”

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a fun weekend of NWSL. Portland choked away a 3-1 lead and the shield to go with it, which the Reign kindly took after demolishing Orlando at home. 3 teams ended on 36 points, thanks to KC coughing up a stoppage time goal while down a player to lose the match and their home playoff game. San Diego (who backed into the #3 seed by being the top of that 46 point tie) and North Carolina's scoreless draw meant that the final game of the season would determine the final seed, and Chicago took full advantage of the door NC left cracked open, winning 2-0 against Angel City to snatch the #6 seed.

Playoff Schedule
#5 Kansas City Current @ #4 Houston Dash - October 16, 5PM EST - Paramount+
#6 Chicago Red Stars @ #3 San Diego Wave - October 16, 10PM EST, CBS Sports Network

#4/#5 winner @ #1 OL Reign - October 23, 5PM EST, CBS Sports Network
#3/#6 winner @ #2 Portland Thorns - October 23, 7:30PM EST, CBS Sports Network

Final - October 29, 8PM EST - CBS/Paramount+

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 17, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/RyanTClarke/status/1576982147327754241

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I’d assumed it’d be bad but this seems even more damning than expected

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So uh this is insanely bad. I'm not sure I can come up with words to describe accurately the revulsion I feel reading this
I'm spoilering this because it details a sexual assault

quote:

The report includes a previously undisclosed revelation as to the manner of Racing Louisville's firing of Christy Holly as manager back in August 2021. The report details how Holly called a player, identified as Erin Simon, in for a film session, stating he would touch her "for every pass" she made a mistake on. (ESPN's policy is to not publicly identify victims of abuse, but Simon, through a spokesperson, agreed to be identified.)

Holly then proceeded to put his hand "down her pants and up her shirt." Simon would try to "tightly cross her legs and push him away, laughing to avoid angering him," adds the report, stating that when her teammate picked her up to drive home, Simon broke down crying.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Jesus gently caress.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So...burn it all down (again)?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The wild thing about Holly's hiring is that everyone in the public basically knew there was something up with him.

By my count at least 3 owners need to be out of the league by the end of the month, and that's before we get the joint NWSL / NWSLPA investigation that might be even more thorough.

highme
May 25, 2001

it's all so loving awful.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Nybble posted:

The wild thing about Holly's hiring is that everyone in the public basically knew there was something up with him.

By my count at least 3 owners need to be out of the league by the end of the month, and that's before we get the joint NWSL / NWSLPA investigation that might be even more thorough.

I'm only halfway through reading the whole thing myself but Arnim Whisler especially should be loving ejected from ownership if for no other reason than outright saying "no these players making complaints are obviously just trying to drag my good man Rory down" and allowing overt retaliation to happen.

I haven't gotten to the full Christy Holly section yet but I remember back in 2017 after he was fired that some friends in the journalism space were trying to do an exposé on him but I think at the time they couldn't get enough players to go on record about it. The bits I vaguely remember from that time definitely sounded Real Bad. Also remember it feeling real gross about him marrying Christie Pearce after getting fired.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

xeria posted:

Also remember it feeling real gross about him marrying Christie Pearce after getting fired.

The sheer number of times coaches end up marrying their athletes, and in Rory Dames case she was (TW) 14 when he first started coaching her, is just outright disgusting. I hope the NWSL is better after going through all this, but also the youth leagues are also investigated and taken seriously. Richie Burke was accused of emotionally abusing youth players when he got the Spirit gig, and huh, turns out he kept doing it when coaching pros.

Protect the athletes and burn the rest down.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know how many times you can burn anything down within such a short period of time before thinking there's a pattern going on with the foundation.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Never mind burn it down, burn the abusers up at the stake (hyperbole some but anyone mentioned in this report who did the abuse or knew about the abuse needs to never work in sports ever again, and some folks need to go to long term jail)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
From what I've read of the report, the Thorns shouldn't be playing. There needs to be consequences for attempting to cover up abuse and obstructing an investigation into that abuse, kicking them out of the playoffs sounds entirely appropriate.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If you all want to get even angrier ESPN is airing a documentary on the subject tonight at 7. They interviewed ex-commissioner Lisa Baird who denies she did anything wrong handling this situation *cough*bullshit*cough*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Probably expected for the SG plan to be effectively boycotting games until anything happens with the Portland front office:

https://twitter.com/107ist/status/1577197854250381312