Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Those day-for-night shots were appalling, especially when they were juxtaposed with well-done scenes that used GOT/HOTD's normal nighttime aesthetic. The only explanation that makes any sense is that someone decided after the fact that all of those scenes ought to happen at night, and their best idea was to throw in a gray filter and a few cgi torches that don't illuminate anything around them.

Admiral Bosch posted:

My wife is justifiably irritated that all Velaryons are Valyrians but not all Valyrians are Velaryons. great writing george

I like the Velaryon name. It feels like the kind of thing that would happen if the world existed: Some folks would show up from Valyria, and everyone would call them Frank the Valyrian and Agnes the Valyrian until a few generations pass and you end up with a bastardized version of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Episode still doesn't beat the scene with the kid who sticks a sword into someones guts for insulting his honor and manhood. How did that scene play out in the book?

iirc it's literally just a sentence saying a duel broke out between the Brackens and the Blackwoods

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

romanowski posted:

iirc it's literally just a sentence saying a duel broke out between the Brackens and the Blackwoods

It's also reversed who won, but neither combatant dies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this, but it was very clever of Daemon to use Aegon to fake Laenor Velaryon's death. Truly killing two birds with one stone.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Baronash posted:

Those day-for-night shots were appalling, especially when they were juxtaposed with well-done scenes that used GOT/HOTD's normal nighttime aesthetic. The only explanation that makes any sense is that someone decided after the fact that all of those scenes ought to happen at night, and their best idea was to throw in a gray filter and a few cgi torches that don't illuminate anything around them.

Quoting myself from a different thread.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So what I believe happened is that there was some later changes in the story progression for this episode way after filming had happened. Literally some of the first production shots from this show when it was first announced were scenes from this episode. Particularly Rhaenyra and Daemon on the beach. But if you look at those early photos, they were all clearly daytime shots. The after-episode "inside the show" video also talks about how the funeral scenes were literally the first shots filmed for the show, so what I think happened was that they filmed all of the adult Rhaenyra, Daemon, and other early parts of the episode a long time ago and then filmed the later portions of the episode some time later. At some point they realized they needed to have Aemond mount Vhagar at night, and for the princes to have their little brawl under torchlight, which presented a conundrum since all the earlier scenes were filmed during the day. So I think they slapped the filter over the day scenes, but because lighting and blocking for those scenes was done for daylight scenes it led to poorer clarity then if they had originally filmed night scenes.

That being said. The scenes are still bright enough, I just think certain TVs don't have the right kind of brightness to properly display them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

I had the same issue with my new oled. Apparently, LG Oled's have an auto dimming feature when it's a low light scene. You can turn it off but there is a chance it will void your warranty. poo poo sucks lol

This show uses Dolby Vision which imo looks like crap and is always too dim on my LG OLED. Newer Disney+ shows look really bad with Dolby Vision too, I think they genuinely hosed up the mastering (on Miss Marvel, every other episode was too dim and washed out, but the others were fine. At least when it aired, not sure about now)

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Has anyone pointed out yet that, in the cover image for the series on HBO, the dragon’s pupil is the same shape as Little Finger’s dagger?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think one of the bookreaders said the books are told from like a maesters POV - so nothing that happens in the book may be true but now we're finding out what actually happened in this age.

Also I thought for sure that one of the brown hairs was hosed when that rock connected and he was dead but it was just a broken nose in the end.

E: On my LG i've turned the brightness up a couple notches for Disney+ since they all look like poo poo in dark scenes. I first noticed in the Bad Batch episodes as night scenes were completely loving black minus white eyes and neon lights.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I think one of the bookreaders said the books are told from like a maesters POV - so nothing that happens in the book may be true but now we're finding out what actually happened in this age.

Also I thought for sure that one of the brown hairs was hosed when that rock connected and he was dead but it was just a broken nose in the end.

E: On my LG i've turned the brightness up a couple notches for Disney+ since they all look like poo poo in dark scenes. I first noticed in the Bad Batch episodes as night scenes were completely loving black minus white eyes and neon lights.

There's definitely something hosed with Disney, yeah there's darker darks but on some shows even sunny afternoon skies look dark and overcast. If you fast forward/ rewind the little thumbnail on the bottom is lit properly still. I used to have a TCL and could go into the hidden developer menus to force off HDR, and the Disney+ stuff looked So Much Better in SDR. I can't do that on the LG which is a bummer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mweber posted:

Has anyone pointed out yet that, in the cover image for the series on HBO, the dragon’s pupil is the same shape as Little Finger’s dagger?

You mean the one that King Goon has been wearing on his belt and monologuing about all season, the one that the Queen just used to assault Rhaenyra?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

You mean the one that King Goon has been wearing on his belt and monologuing about all season, the one that the Queen just used to assault Rhaenyra?

mind. blown.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I never use closed captioning but I’ve found it helpful in this show because I’m starting to actually learn peoples names.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, that’s the one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I never use closed captioning but I’ve found it helpful in this show because I’m starting to actually learn peoples names.

yeah a few times i've had to google the spellings i've seen itt to make sure i didn't miss anyone

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if the targs were space marines and it was jim raenor

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vintersorg posted:

More specifically, it's a Maester in Robert's era compiling and comparing sources from the past, so the events of this show are told from three sources that sometimes conflict with each other. A couple examples in the show so far have been the reason why Daemon was exiled from King's Landing, and why Cole and Rhaenyra had a falling out.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
How is the book/spoiler thread enjoying the show? Does it hold up as well for them?

I might give in and read the book after this season is done but I'll avoid spoilers for now.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

This show uses Dolby Vision which imo looks like crap and is always too dim on my LG OLED. Newer Disney+ shows look really bad with Dolby Vision too, I think they genuinely hosed up the mastering (on Miss Marvel, every other episode was too dim and washed out, but the others were fine. At least when it aired, not sure about now)

The new Rings show uses Dolby Vision and imo looks great. I might try to turn off that auto dimming and see if it helps at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

unlimited shrimp posted:

How is the book/spoiler thread enjoying the show? Does it hold up as well for them?

I might give in and read the book after this season is done but I'll avoid spoilers for now.

The books have multiple unreliable narrators and they're spinning enough stuff up that there are still surprises. Like, it's not a spoiler now but the Laenor stuff was different in the books but congruent with this version so that that could be how it's written.

Basically the books are spoilers in the same way that having read a biography is a spoiler for the biopic : we know the broad strokes but not really a lot of the specifics, and then the specifics we do know aren't necessarily set in stone.

I read the books in basically a binge during a lengthy power outage with some drinks so drunken half-memories is a pretty great way to get nice surprises while knowing there's good stuff coming down the pike.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wow, I'm watching it because I've a kind of investment in the source material but I cannot bring myself to care at all about any character on this show except Rhaenys because I love Eve Best.

This last episode I couldn't help but think, "you know, if rocks fell and everyone died right now, I'd kinda be cool with that."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow, I'm watching it because I've a kind of investment in the source material but I cannot bring myself to care at all about any character on this show except Rhaenys because I love Eve Best.

This last episode I couldn't help but think, "you know, if rocks fell and everyone died right now, I'd kinda be cool with that."

it's a problem! i like all the machinations but i need someone to root for whose motivation is something other than "all supreme power goes to me and none 4 u", even if they're not coded as 100% good

go back to GoT season one and see how many interesting characters there are that aren't in the line of succession

larys gives extremely "we have varys at home" energy

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I see where you're coming from. There's no character whose death at the end of the season would shock and sadden me, like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones as an example. I'm enthralled buy D'Arcy's performance, but Rhaenyra has some pretty deep flaws that make it difficult to really get behind her. I do understand where Alicent is coming from and Oliva Cooke makes her a very compelling character, but I think her flaws are more problematic. Don't get me started on the kids.

If any major characters shed their mortal coil, I'd feel sorry for the loss of the performer rather than the character.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

The new Rings show uses Dolby Vision and imo looks great. I might try to turn off that auto dimming and see if it helps at all.

Amazon's streaming algorithm seems much better overall tbh, although I don't think I've seen something in Dolby Vision on that platform yet (they usually do regular HDR). I'll check that out!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ubersandwich posted:

I see where you're coming from. There's no character whose death at the end of the season would shock and sadden me, like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones as an example. I'm enthralled buy D'Arcy's performance, but Rhaenyra has some pretty deep flaws that make it difficult to really get behind her. I do understand where Alicent is coming from and Oliva Cooke makes her a very compelling character, but I think her flaws are more problematic. Don't get me started on the kids.

If any major characters shed their mortal coil, I'd feel sorry for the loss of the performer rather than the character.

Daemon and King Goon, may they live forever 🙏

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Tender Bender posted:

Amazon's streaming algorithm seems much better overall tbh, although I don't think I've seen something in Dolby Vision on that platform yet (they usually do regular HDR). I'll check that out!

Amazons is so good.

Fleabag looked so loving good on my tv.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I actually like that everyone is barely above competent on their best days. Having super manipulators like Varys and Littlefinger go nowhere really soured me on that archetype. Just let this be Sucession with dragons. A bunch of overentitle dummies duking it out for ego and dysfunction.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Larys has powerful Brainy from Hey Arnold energies

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mweber posted:

Do the Valyrons have a huge fall from grace between now and GOT? Seems like another family of potential dragonriders would’ve been a bigger deal.

Is everyone just over the whole pureblood Valerian thing by the time we get to GOT?
They took the Targaryan side during Robert's rebellion so they aren't in court under his reign. Now book spoiler for book ASOIAF but it didn't happen in game of throne so whatever: during Tommen reign, Aurane Waters a Velaryon bastard comes to court, becomes one of Cersei lover (yeah number 5 or 6) and manages to become grand admiral, the master of ships (yeah gently caress you show Victarion Greyjoy). Oh and he made them build a new fleet then run away with it. In the book, he declares himself Lord of the Waters.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I'm not sure it's really bad that people have a hard time finding someone to root for, because the moment you start rooting for a character you start disliking other characters merely for standing in their way. Obviously it's a different experience, but being slightly distanced from the goings-on helps the viewer see things from multiple perspectives - to better understand the motivations of ALL the characters - and thus also recognize the dysfunction at the core to the system. I guess kinda like how The Wire wasn't about characters either, but the city itself.

Anyway, we already have two goons to root for in the show, so I don't know what the big issue is.

i say swears online posted:

larys gives extremely "we have varys at home" energy
What commonalities do the two have? Aside from four letters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't want a relatable character to root for, I want to watch the absolute worst people destroy eachother and themselves, which is exactly what the show is delivering.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Corlys and Rhaenys are cool. "Worst" thing we've gotten out of them so far is Corlys not caring that his grandsons aren't blood relatives as long as they have his name.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

unlimited shrimp posted:

I only wish I hadn't watched the RLM review of Nope the other day because now I can't not see the "shadows at night" thing when they film night scenes that way.

They were in a wide-open space under a mostly clear sky and full moon with no light pollution. You will get very sharp shadows under those conditions at night, but in this case it was just a lovely night filter over daytime scenes.

They were murky as hell on my Samsung OLED where I've disabled all the horrible 'enhancements', but when I loaded it up on my PC to make a few screenshots it looked way better on my crappy generic monitor. Why are modern TVs so bad at doing the one thing a TV is supposed to do well?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say trying to marry off his tiny, tiny daughter to the king is probably worse than being pretty OK with his grandkids not actually being his grandkids.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd say trying to marry off his tiny, tiny daughter to the king is probably worse than being pretty OK with his grandkids not actually being his grandkids.
Fair enough, forgot about that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Being okay with his grandkids not actually being his grandkids is a hella good thing. The show must be doing powerful things to viewers’ morality for them to think otherwise.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Corlys and Raenys are very cool- great characters and the actors really nail the "regal but also bad rear end" look. The actress who plays Raenys just looks like she'd gently caress your poo poo up if needed.

And gently caress, it's so god drat cool that they picked a tall handsome black man to play Corlys. He just towers over everyone and his big rear end white hair makes him seem superhuman. Weirdly enough, I haven't really seen nearly as much bitching about the PoC cast in this show as much as in WoT or RoP. Not sure why, but maybe it's just because these characters are written better? I don't know.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Disappointed that Britain McSmoove Face got it up to gently caress his niece it was funnier when his limp dick drove the plot

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Corlys and Raenys are very cool- great characters and the actors really nail the "regal but also bad rear end" look. The actress who plays Raenys just looks like she'd gently caress your poo poo up if needed.

And gently caress, it's so god drat cool that they picked a tall handsome black man to play Corlys. He just towers over everyone and his big rear end white hair makes him seem superhuman. Weirdly enough, I haven't really seen nearly as much bitching about the PoC cast in this show as much as in WoT or RoP. Not sure why, but maybe it's just because these characters are written better? I don't know.

RoPs marketing campaign put a lot of the black characters front and center in ads which got people going. Remember, the complaints are not in good faith and are entirely about the thing they're complaining about being "bad" too. HotD is more well received so they pick on the lesser received show.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

There definitely was some "If you want a black character make one from the Summer Isles!" talk, and some racists read too much into Targaryen inbreeding to keep their blood pure, but it was pretty easy to shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I prefer to go with the interpretation that Rhaenyra tells his uncle-love to Michael Corleone her husband#1 for real , and Daemon came up with the complicated scheme himself to save the life of his brother-in-low because he is just a cool guy misunderstood.