Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I remember people being really mad about survivor s1. Richard, the guy who won, walked around naked a lot and was from California (dogwhistle) and then got in a lot of trouble for evading his taxes. At the time I did not think of it as a trump vs hillary thing but I guess it was

i actually rewatched it last year during covid malaise and there was no dogwhistling —— he was gay and called the f-slur multiple times by an older contestant (who he became friends with) among many other instances of homophobia

he was also the only person to realize they were playing a game and use strategy and alliances to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

well at the time it was 2000 so no one thought of it as a trump vs hillary thing because that hadn't happened yet

but trust me. it's there.

I didn't watch it in 2000 i just remember being in junior high and people Seething and Malding about richard so i guess it is like 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i actually rewatched it last year during covid malaise and there was no dogwhistling —— he was gay and called the f-slur multiple times by an older contestant (who he became friends with) among many other instances of homophobia

was the old guy named rudy

it's been 22 years how do i remember this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

he was also the only person to realize they were playing a game and use strategy and alliances to win

Yes, it's very weird to watch because this was totally an acceptable position to have at the time: "I don't like your lifestyle and reserve the right to basically mock you for it, but I can like you as a person despite that."

also, it's not comparable to modern day reality TV. You're talking about something that is an entire generation removed from today's methods of making reality TV. Nobody on that show "acts" like modern reality TV contestants because they weren't brought up watching other people on Reality TV. it's sincerely a very good time capsule of people in that era BECAUSE it pre-dates so much of what would become considered normal for "Reality TV".

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

was the old guy named rudy

it's been 22 years how do i remember this

Yes lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
tell me this is not the white midwestern woman voter that cost Clinton the Electoral College:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSMBfoMVHk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Yes, it's very weird to watch because this was totally an acceptable position to have at the time: "I don't like your lifestyle and reserve the right to basically mock you for it, but I can like you as a person despite that."

also, it's not comparable to modern day reality TV. You're talking about something that is an entire generation removed from today's methods of making reality TV. Nobody on that show "acts" like modern reality TV contestants because they weren't brought up watching other people on Reality TV. it's sincerely a very good time capsule of people in that era BECAUSE it pre-dates so much of what would become considered normal for "Reality TV".

yeah i actually got back "into" survivor after that (i watched the first 2 seasons when they aired then dropped off like most other viewers) and now everyone on the game is so meta and hyper-strategic, it's definitely lost all of that un-polished feel

now so many people seem to be trying to use their appearance if not to win, then to become a social media micro-celeb/influencer

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Oct 3, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Warner Brothers discovery has sold The CW to something called Nexstar who have plans to turn The CW into something that "resemble outlets like myNetworkTV or Pax".

Rip all the good, stupid shows

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Warner Brothers discovery has sold The CW to something called Nexstar who have plans to turn The CW into something that "resemble outlets like myNetworkTV or Pax".

It's cool that literally no one on the business side of Show Business has any idea what people like or why they like it, while thinking that they have more perfect/complete data on this than ever before.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

does this mean they'll make shows to sell to fox and cbs for them to air and the cw channel itself dies?

would probably improve cbs lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

this could be just the opportunity we need to resurrect the UPN brand

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New black panther 2 trailer dropped. They included Namor's winged ankles. I love it
https://twitter.com/theblackpanther/status/1576920841912082432?t=f1dknA0C0QKKY429fvJrkw&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

New black panther 2 trailer dropped. They included Namor's winged ankles. I love it
https://twitter.com/theblackpanther/status/1576920841912082432?t=f1dknA0C0QKKY429fvJrkw&s=19

looks alright

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I haven't had cable for several years but now I'm trying to think of the last show I got into that was on both network TV and streaming and...I'm drawing a blank. There's gotta be something obvious I'm forgetting because we have Hulu which I know has carried stuff from your CBSs, ABCs etc in recent memory.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I haven't had cable for several years but now I'm trying to think of the last show I got into that was on both network TV and streaming and...I'm drawing a blank. There's gotta be something obvious I'm forgetting because we have Hulu which I know has carried stuff from your CBSs, ABCs etc in recent memory.

probably Community for me. I don't think I've watched a network sitcom since that was cancelled in S5.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
That Space show that came with community on yahoo screen was pretty good.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the good place for me.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

But as Variety has independently confirmed with measurements from Nielsen, the Nexstar exec was correct: the median age for the CW’s primetime viewer throughout the 2021 calendar year was 57.4, according to Live + 7 Day data. That counts initial linear viewership and a week’s worth of delayed (mostly DVR) viewing where available.

When looking at total day numbers, which includes not just broadcast primetime content, but everything viewed on a network outside of the primetime window as well, the CW’s average viewer ages up to 58.4. And those numbers make the CW audience not just older than some expected, but also no longer the broadcast network with the youngest audience.

Surprisingly, that title goes to Fox, which in the year of 2021 had a broadcast primetime median age of 56.6 and a total day median age of 56.2 based on Live + 7 data.

More recent data also points to Fox having the youngest audience. Per Nielsen, between Sept. 20, 2021 and Aug. 14, 2022, the network’s average primetime viewer was 57.3 years old according to Live + Same Day data, measuring all viewers of primetime content on the first day that it aired, and 57.4 according to Live + 7s. During that same window of time, the CW’s viewers were slightly older: the average primetime viewer each day was 60.8 years old, while delayed viewing brought about a Live + 7 average of 59.5.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/the-cw-age-average-viewer-broadcast-1235342962/

CW and Fox are competing to have the youngest audience

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RandolphCarter posted:

the good place for me.

That might be it? Though I can't remember when that ended and I was kind of casual about it compared to most everyone else.

tell me this is not the white midwestern woman voter that cost Clinton the Electoral College:

Never seen this before and lmao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
oops nm

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I might just be a sucker for alt history period drama/black comedies then because it, along with The Great, are two of my favorite shows in recent memory.

I'd still take another season of Raised by Wolves over OFMD in a heartbeat but that's not the hand we're dealt I guess
I'd take another season of RBW over virtually anything.

indigi posted:

Our Flag Means Death should have been way, way funnier with that cast. got maybe one chuckle per episode. was cute but not good enough for me to watch season 2 unless there's an overwhelming change in the tone of the show
I liked season 1 but could see myself checking out because it's likely going to get less funny and more twee.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kanye's fashion week roll continues.
https://twitter.com/Rap/status/1577005514395115520?s=20&t=-q_3MZu2ZasGGRYReyOWBg

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

god, that loving blows

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

never watched any reality shows, but this is extremely 2016. and the bit about the vulture seems like a tim heidecker line on on cinema.

C-Euro posted:

Superstore was good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Says the op telling people to watch reality TV and compare it to politics

they are synonymous.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Nexstar also owns The Hill

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

lol

candace was supposed to be the speaker at a toilet paper usa campus event near me tonight, but I heard from a friend who works at that university that she canceled on them literally this morning

Babysitter Super Sleuth has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Oct 3, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

lol

candace was supposed to be the speaker at a toilet paper usa campus event near me tonight, but I heard from a friend who works at that university that she canceled on them literally this morning

on that yeussy

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

I just wanna know if she caught covid and when.

I remember cheering for the speech when I was younger. Now it just seems like projection. And she is more trumpy then either of them.
I can imagine her telling the scorpion story.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Oct 3, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
"I got owned by a fat old gay man. And a smoothing talking city slicker woman. I still have my dignity on a TV shows that is about back stabbing people."

"TV told me that I better than these people, but here I am beneath them. So let me waste your time with my little aesop fairy tale."

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:10 on Oct 3, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"I got owned by a fat old gay man. And a smoothing talking city slicker woman. I still have my dignity on a TV shows that is about back stabbing people."

"TV told me that I better than these people, but here I am beneath them. So let me waste your time with my little aesop fairy tale."

I know it rules, it's one of the funniest things that's ever been on TV

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jayz is both a failure and a liar for pretending he convinced that brain flu to stop his red hat antics

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"so at that point in the game I just decided then to go out with my alliance to my family"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I just wanna know if she caught covid and when.

I remember cheering for the speech when I was younger. Now it just seems like projection. And she is more trumpy then either of them.
I can imagine her telling the scorpion story.

you can't deny —— it was great television

everyone's too self aware/self conscious now to do anything that wild anymore imo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

jonny fairplay's grandma trick

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

I honestly can't tell whether I hate love triangles or am simply so opinionated on which Team I am on that it seems like such an obvious choice that they should resolve immediately

like, the Hunger Games love triangle was a clear choice in favor of the guy who didn't suck poo poo, the Twilight one was clear in favor of the one who is a main character and would obviously win out in the end so stop wasting our time, the Witcher one was clear in favor of Triss because she is a comrade while Yennefer is toxic and your friends all hate her, and so on and so forth

triss is totally the beta choice

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

you can't deny —— it was great television

everyone's too self aware/self conscious now to do anything that wild anymore imo

Survivor was a springboard but there was nothing within distance for these people to jump to, they all became quasi-celebrities who would show up for jokes on late night monologues or like a cameo on The Drew Carey Show. Now, Influencing has become that platform you can springboard onto from Reality TV, and they all know it. So, they're preemptively grooming their personalities to become a streamer, influencer, etc. afterwards. You can be a Villain, but you cannot allow yourself to be cancellable.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Survivor was a springboard but there was nothing within distance for these people to jump to, they all became quasi-celebrities who would show up for jokes on late night monologues or like a cameo on The Drew Carey Show. Now, Influencing has become that platform you can springboard onto from Reality TV, and they all know it. So, they're preemptively grooming their personalities to become a streamer, influencer, etc. afterwards. You can be a Villain, but you cannot allow yourself to be cancellable.

wild that something like this happened, those first 2 seasons were so huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Qf6vGixy8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

there was a tviv thread for the genius, a Korean Survivor-like show, and if you all haven’t given it a chance, you should. it’s so good.