Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Don't worry, the cheating microscope is off of chess and on to stuffing weights into fish

https://twitter.com/Billyhottakes/status/1576246821139070976?s=20&t=qVDmXvkW1AgmocGKRjfXOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I just had a Brilliant move.
Nf6.

I totally knew it at the time, too.
No, I didn't. What the hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it consdiers it brilliant because it's a good piece sacrifice: you're hanging your other knight, but it's still the best move (apparently)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
chess.com also hands out brilliant moves more often the lower your rating

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

T.C. posted:

Don't worry, the cheating microscope is off of chess and on to stuffing weights into fish

https://twitter.com/Billyhottakes/status/1576246821139070976?s=20&t=qVDmXvkW1AgmocGKRjfXOA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cheetah7071 posted:

Chess.com says I’m smart and lichess is inventing new words for my stupidity.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
another sinister tactic that chess.com uses to keep you on their hook :tinfoil:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I got a brilliant move the other day by taking a piece that the other guy very obviously hung after I did something kinda dumb. Taking the piece got me out of the dumb thing I did, so taking it put me at like +3 and doing anything else put me at like -6. The analysis gave me a pat on the back for finding the only good move in the position and I guess the swing in points being like, nine and their stupidity only really being responsible for hanging three points of material made it brilliant?

Basically, I am so stupid that I get credit for being brilliant by taking an obviously unprotected piece.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

In that case I'm surprised it doesn't consider every move I make to be brilliant.

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Was that a brilliant move, or a great move? A great move is the only good move in the position, so if your opponent hangs a piece, taking it is often a great move. A brilliant move is a move the engine (at whatever depth) did not consider to be the best move, but after it's made, it reevaluates it as the best move.

The brilliant moves I've gotten are often piece sacrifices.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

:golfclap:

Am I the only one expecting these "we will have full release soon" messages going to be super anticlimatic?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Xtanstic posted:

:golfclap:

Am I the only one expecting these "we will have full release soon" messages going to be super anticlimatic?
At most it will be proof that Hans cheated online more than he admitted which everyone seems to already be expecting and wont change any minds on if he cheated OTB.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

mortal posted:

Was that a brilliant move, or a great move? A great move is the only good move in the position, so if your opponent hangs a piece, taking it is often a great move. A brilliant move is a move the engine (at whatever depth) did not consider to be the best move, but after it's made, it reevaluates it as the best move.

Potentially my dumbass move before that was the brilliant one!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mortal posted:

unless they changed it again, a few years back chess.com changed it so brilliant just means "good sacrifice"

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've only been on chess.com a year so I wouldn't know about that but they definitely changed it a couple months ago so they are easier to get.

This is from hearsay though, I virtually never sac and I've only had one brilliant move ever (which is no longer considered brilliant since the change)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

neaden posted:

At most it will be proof that Hans cheated online more than he admitted which everyone seems to already be expecting and wont change any minds on if he cheated OTB.

But what if it is evidence of cheating in their big money events instead of some random games?

I think there is sort of a history of not caring about online chess but that was already changing and then the pandemic and the chess boom have really shifted that.

By which I mean this has been a well booked drama arc to lead into the CGC.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I don't expect the release to be especially dramatic, but still, if there's clear evidence that he has cheated online more extensively, then he was lying about his behavior as recently as the St. Louis interview a few weeks ago and it would be much harder to dismiss the past incidents as youthful mistakes.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Friendship with chess.com over, now lichess is new best friend.
Zen mode + pentatonic sounds? Amazing. Analysis board, unlimited puzzles, this site has it all.

How dishonourable is it to not accept an opponent's request to take back a move, when it's obvious they mis-clicked, but I'm in a losing position and capitalizing on it means I'll be able to win?

I have a feeling the answer is "very, but tough luck, opponent should have been more careful in such a critical position".

I've accepted take-back requests when positions are equal and it's obvious they were trying to Castle or something.

I just needed that win, damnit.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

stratdax posted:

Zen mode + pentatonic sounds? Amazing. Analysis board, unlimited puzzles, this site has it all.

How dishonourable is it to not accept an opponent's request to take back a move, when it's obvious they mis-clicked, but I'm in a losing position and capitalizing on it means I'll be able to win?

I have a feeling the answer is "very, but tough luck, opponent should have been more careful in such a critical position".

I've accepted take-back requests when positions are equal and it's obvious they were trying to Castle or something.

never request nor accept a request for a takeback.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You can just disable takebacks in your settings on lichess, if you’d like to escape the weird ethical dilemma of deciding whether to allow them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a goon once let me “take back” a move in a daily game by agreeing to go through a weird sequence and transpose to the move i intended to make. made for a weird little heartbeat in the game summary eval

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would do the same if it was a goon i regularly play with but randos, no way

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

stratdax posted:

I only accept (and request) takebacks in the single case of someone loving up castling the king, since it's pretty obvious what they wanted to do and happens not so rarely.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If they move then immediately ask for it I usually give it, especially if the move is bonkers. If they move, drop their queen, then request a takeback after the capture, I give them an endless string of time increases to help them think through their precarious position :)

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I have it disabled in settings so it doesn’t even prompt me. I’ve never asked for one and I don’t really want to fret over whether or not to give one.

OTB, for sure I’ll let people take back all day, but online? Let’s just get on with it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I request them only for castling when it decides you wanted your king on f1

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

jesus WEP posted:

a goon once let me “take back” a move in a daily game by agreeing to go through a weird sequence and transpose to the move i intended to make. made for a weird little heartbeat in the game summary eval

Oh hey I think that was me lol

Against goons or friends I'd do stuff like that especially early game cause I want a fun game of chess and most of them are unranked anyway.

But standard is turn them off in the options. I also had to turn off click two squares to move cause it was causing huge amounts of misclick as apparently when thinking I can get wild with my clicking and who even moves like that instead of dragging anyway.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Boom https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-cheating-hans-niemann-report-magnus-carlsen-11664911524

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
wow, rip hans

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can anyone copy the text out of the paywall?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nvm found it in a reddit comment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments/xvo7u4/wsj_chess_investigation_finds_that_us_grandmaster/ir22f7u/

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

neaden posted:

Behold the prophecy is has come true. Interesting that 4 of the top 100 have admitted to cheating, and potentially more accused.
Edit: also it looks like they are saying he hasn't cheated since 2020, which could be consistent with him saying it was when he was 16.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

neaden posted:

Behold the prophecy is has come true. Interesting that 4 of the top 100 have admitted to cheating, and potentially more accused.
Edit: also it looks like they are saying he hasn't cheated since 2020, which could be consistent with him saying it was when he was 16.

the article specifically says he was caught when he was 17

"The Chess.com report contradicts those statements. It says several prize-money events are included in the 100-plus suspect games and that he was live-streaming the contests during 25 of them. It adds that he was 17 years old during the most recent violations, which subsequently led Chess.com to close his account. A letter sent to Niemann included in the report notes “blatant cheating” to improve his rating in various games, including in one against Russian chess star Ian Nepomniachtchi, Carlsen’s most recent challenger for the World Chess Championship."

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Pulling this paragraph out as the sort of thing that Sub Rosa mentioned:

quote:

“We are prepared to present strong statistical evidence that confirm each of those cases above, as well as clear ‘toggling’ vs ‘non-toggling’ evidence, where you perform much better while toggling to a different screen during your moves,” Rensch wrote.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It also notes that his otb elo pattern doesn't really resemble that of other young grandmasters, though it stops short of making an accusation

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I suppose the goalpost will now move to "Oh well he isn't cheating now" which is about as convincing as a 5 year old claiming they no longer wet the bed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FIDE's investigation I possible otb cheating (as well as a simultaneous investigation into Carlsen's behavior) is ongoing so the ride isn't over yet

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

thank goodness the anal beads theory is still on the table

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The only big surprise is how stupid Hans was about cheating. Running the engine on the same computer? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Being good at chess does not make you good at tech, or have any idea what anti-cheat detection might be capable of