Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's a sign of good writing that both interpretations (she knew about the twist vs. it was completely Daemon's idea) seem plausible because both characters are nuanced enough to justify either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vegetable posted:

Being okay with his grandkids not actually being his grandkids is a hella good thing. The show must be doing powerful things to viewers’ morality for them to think otherwise.
I put "worst" in quotes because even though it is a good thing, he's doing it out of a desire for legacy so a Velaryon sits on the throne. It's not exactly a pure motivation, but it still puts him above most of the other players.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anyway, we already have two goons to root for in the show, so I don't know what the big issue is.
true. we found king goon's successor last night and it was wonderful

quote:

What commonalities do the two have? Aside from four letters.

they have the same job! it's pretty obvious to me now that varys succeeds only upon the progress of past masters on the council, building up networks

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Darko posted:

RoPs marketing campaign put a lot of the black characters front and center in ads which got people going. Remember, the complaints are not in good faith and are entirely about the thing they're complaining about being "bad" too. HotD is more well received so they pick on the lesser received show.

People were ready to go after HotD right up until the first episode aired. There was an article that came out a few days before the premier where Corlys actor spoke about some of the racism he faced, and even the major sub-reddits were like oh, here we go again, they are pulling an Obi Wan Kenobi and claiming people don't like the show because they are racist and not because the show is bad. Then episode one aired, and everyone looked at each other like, is Game of Thrones back, it is only the first episode, but it feels like Game of Thrones is back, and the show was good, so everyone shut up about it. Even all of the anti-woke, alt-right content creators are still very much on the HotD hype train - even moreso than the casual audience because it seems like they are mirroring every shred of hatred for RoP/Wheel of Time/She-Hulk with praise for HotD. There have been a couple of things that they absolutely would have blown into a massive shitstorm, like Sapochnik telling Olivia Cooke to play Alicent like she would be a Trump supporter, but because they are enjoying the show they just ignore it.

Ring of Power has a ton of problems, but there is a reason Ben Shapiro is doing episode reacts for the show.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TyrantWD posted:

they are pulling an Obi Wan Kenobi and claiming people don't like the show because they are racist and not because the show is bad.
It should be pointed out that this is bullshit too, the Kenobi stuff was also about the lead black actress receiving racist abuse and was never about "not liking the show is racist".

e: To be clear, not accusing TyrantWD of saying that, just commenting on the accusation that they were referring to.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 3, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

And gently caress, it's so god drat cool that they picked a tall handsome black man to play Corlys. He just towers over everyone and his big rear end white hair makes him seem superhuman.

The dude looked *extremely* terrifying and convincing laying about with a bardiche/greataxe in the stepstones battle

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
More Polearms in Fantasy Shows imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

Sapochnik telling Olivia Cooke to play Alicent like she would be a Trump supporter

this rules lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sapochnik really needs to get over the fascination with dim lighting but that's fantastic direction

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Racists are mad about a thing? That's so crazy - until now they've always been on the level, arguing in good faith from completely rational positions, only making contact when completely necessary. I know it's a cheap and effective marketing strategy born of a clickbait industrial complex, but it's imperative that we defeat these racists by providing social media engagement for, and purchasing the products of, the brands these miscreants are mad about, as I've been told! Solidarity forever!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Sapochnik really needs to get over the fascination with dim lighting but that's fantastic direction

yeah just that bit is extremely vivid and if i were acting i could do a lot with it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know there are devils advocates everywhere for every single thing but seeing people respond to actual professional tv critics on twitter saying they must have set their TVs up wrong because they pointed out the objective fact that several scenes in this episode were graded loving horrendously is pretty infuriating

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this too dark issue comes up so often and the only time i've ever actually noticed it was the battle of the long night. feels like a meme conversation. and maybe some people do have their tvs set too low - it's happened to me before.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Corlys and Raenys are very cool- great characters and the actors really nail the "regal but also bad rear end" look. The actress who plays Raenys just looks like she'd gently caress your poo poo up if needed.

And gently caress, it's so god drat cool that they picked a tall handsome black man to play Corlys. He just towers over everyone and his big rear end white hair makes him seem superhuman. Weirdly enough, I haven't really seen nearly as much bitching about the PoC cast in this show as much as in WoT or RoP. Not sure why, but maybe it's just because these characters are written better? I don't know.

I was thinking about this the other day and I think at least part of it has to do with how the show is structured. It seems more organic in this show. Other casting decisions were made based on who they cast as Corlys and it all feels realistic. He's black, his wife is white, their kids are mixed. In RoP, at least as of when I stopped paying attention with Ep. 5, it seems like they were instead going for colorblind casting but the effect is that it's more conspicuous and discordant. Why is there a single black hobbit? Where's his family? Why is there one black dwarf? Why weren't any of the elf kids in the prologue black when one of the prominent elves is black? It doesn't help that RoP also feels more empty and depopulated. For all the beautiful cinematography, the actual scenes with people feels like you're watching a stage play.

The impression I get is that HotD wants us to know that there are PoC in Westeros whereas RoP wants us to know that Amazon casts PoC actors.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 3, 2022

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

roomtone posted:

this too dark issue comes up so often and the only time i've ever actually noticed it was the battle of the long night. feels like a meme conversation. and maybe some people do have their tvs set too low - it's happened to me before.
It's weird, I just recently watched The Long Night and didn't have a problem seeing anything, but this last episode gave me a real hard time. Same TV, settings, app, time of day, etc.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Watching this on my laptop during lunch and I can't see a fuckin' thing

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

The impression I get is that HotD wants us to know that there are PoC in Westeros whereas RoP wants us to know that Amazon casts PoC actors.

You nailed it.

Edit: To be clear, that's not taking anything away from the performances of the RoP actors.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 3, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

unlimited shrimp posted:

good point

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

I was thinking about this the other day and I think at least part of it has to do with how the show is structured. It seems more organic in this show. Other casting decisions were made based on who they cast as Corlys and it all feels realistic. He's black, his wife is white, their kids are mixed. In RoP, at least as of when I stopped paying attention with Ep. 5, it seems like they were instead going for colorblind casting but the effect is that it's more conspicuous and discordant. Why is there a single black hobbit? Where's his family? Why is there one black dwarf? Why weren't any of the elf kids in the prologue black when one of the prominent elves is black? It doesn't help that RoP also feels more empty. For all the beautiful cinematography, the actual acting feels like you're watching a stage play.

It's weird because I'm far more open to middle earth diversity in a whatever "lazy" way because even with the obvious real world parallels it's still very much a fantasy story and it's hard to care about skin colour with literal other races going around and Westeros/Essos is way more of a real world expy but with dargons so you'd expect a bit more cohesion and segregation but even without leaning on the half dozen or so easily justifiable ways that could explain the differences with the Velaryons it still works way better and feels more natural than rop. Doesn't hurt that Corlys' actor is incredibly imposing

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

The first half of the episode looked very weirdly lit. Like they did a bad job of shooting day for night.

Glad to see this. I thought my TV was busted but then figured exact same thing - bad day for night.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

unlimited shrimp posted:

I was thinking about this the other day and I think at least part of it has to do with how the show is structured. It seems more organic in this show. Other casting decisions were made based on who they cast as Corlys and it all feels realistic. He's black, his wife is white, their kids are mixed. In RoP, at least as of when I stopped paying attention with Ep. 5, it seems like they were instead going for colorblind casting but the effect is that it's more conspicuous and discordant. Why is there a single black hobbit? Where's his family? Why is there one black dwarf? Why weren't any of the elf kids in the prologue black when one of the prominent elves is black?

The complexions of the Velayrons also help the "Everyone knows that Laenor is not the father of Jace and Luke" argument. Corlys' grandkids do not at all resemble each other despite having very similar lineages of Targ + Valyeron -> Targ + Valyeron.

I mean, we know Viserys' argument about genetics is not unreasonable, but it's pretty easy to see why Aegon can go "well just look at them" and not cause an uproar.

This is ultimately a huge improvement over the hair color bullshit in Game of Thrones.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

You are wrong. Like, completely wrong. You should be embarrassed about how wrong this is.

I watched this episode on my LG C1 OLED TV, in HDR. The regular scenes looked fantastic, as usual. The night-time scenes looked loving horrendous. This is entirely a production side issue, and anyone who says otherwise is a loving liar.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

roomtone posted:

I have a LG CX and use all the RTings recommended settings. The only two times I've ever had a problem seeing a dark scene were the Long Night and this episode. But this one I literally couldn't see who was trying to tame the dragon until it breathed fire and lit up the screen. I'm not surprised its the same director in retrospect.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

It's weird because I'm far more open to middle earth diversity in a whatever "lazy" way because even with the obvious real world parallels it's still very much a fantasy story and it's hard to care about skin colour with literal other races going around and Westeros/Essos is way more of a real world expy but with dargons so you'd expect a bit more cohesion and segregation but even without leaning on the half dozen or so easily justifiable ways that could explain the differences with the Velaryons it still works way better and feels more natural than rop. Doesn't hurt that Corlys' actor is incredibly imposing

The way diversity has been handled in GoT has always made sense to me. Major trade hubs and political centers are diverse, and provincial villages are generally homogenous. I agree with RoP not really needing to be concerned with the particular race of any actor, since it is a much more "pure" fantasy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Yup, a few weeks ago I mentioned that the casting choice for Coryls was inspired, not only because he is kicking rear end in the role but because it just hammers home how obvious it is that those kids are not from his line. Like, if they had just made him another fair skinned, white haired, purple eyed lord, it would be a lot easier to explain away those kids. But viewers are immediately, from the first scene, figure out something ain't right well before a single character brings it up.

EDIT: Are people with the dark issues watching original broadcast or the streaming broadcast? I watched streaming on a large computer monitor and the scenes were fine, if not really obvious day-to-night post filtered. It sounds like TVs in general had some kind of feature that hosed with the brightness.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 3, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pobrecito posted:

I have a LG CX and use all the RTings recommended settings. The only two times I've ever had a problem seeing a dark scene were the Long Night and this episode. But this one I literally couldn't see who was trying to tame the dragon until it breathed fire and lit up the screen. I'm not surprised its the same director in retrospect.

Yep I had NO idea which character that was in the dragon mounting scene until they said later on. And like you, the only two times I’ve ever had an issue with TV episodes being too dark were The Long Night and this.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

They took the Targaryan side during Robert's rebellion so they aren't in court under his reign. Now book spoiler for book ASOIAF but it didn't happen in game of throne so whatever: during Tommen reign, Aurane Waters a Velaryon bastard comes to court, becomes one of Cersei lover (yeah number 5 or 6) and manages to become grand admiral, the master of ships (yeah gently caress you show Victarion Greyjoy). Oh and he made them build a new fleet then run away with it. In the book, he declares himself Lord of the Waters.

This really makes me hope that Corlys gets to be a gentleman pirate king for a while.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

mweber posted:

This really makes me hope that Corlys gets to be a gentleman pirate king for a while.

one of the GoT in-development spinoffs is about Corlys as a young ocean adventurer

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Escobarbarian posted:

Yep I had NO idea which character that was in the dragon mounting scene until they said later on. And like you, the only two times I’ve ever had an issue with TV episodes being too dark were The Long Night and this.

I've seen images on twitter of people having a similar experience where you can only vaguely make out the top of Aemond's head during a lot of that sequence, but on my TV every strand of grass was clear, although cast in that dark blue day-to-night filter. I didn't even occur to me that anyone could have an issue with the episode being too dark until I checked the reactions after the episode.

The Long Night on the other hand was something I could tell was something I could tell was going to be incredibly dark for everyone, and the cable compression made it not just dark, but a blocky, pixelated mess.

I streamed the episode on an Apple TV 4K, connected to an X90J - so a fairly middling panel, but I did spend way too much time calibrating it for watching at night with all the lights turned off (which is how I watch everything other than sports).

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

one of the GoT in-development spinoffs is about Corlys as a young ocean adventurer

That sounds awesome. Curious who they’ll cast as young Corlys.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Young Corly show is the rear end Creed 4 of the ASFIAF shows.

They keep making earlier prequels they will eventually make it to the doom of Valyria, I am interested in that part of the lore the most.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'd say the reason for the show being so much better than the alternatives is because the writers seem to actually understand the concept of a tragedy. The characters are, by and large, doing what their society tells them is right and what they might even believe to be right, but they are all flawed and doomed in some way. Larys is probably the only real villain and he's obviously setup this as a side character who exists to encourage other characters to make terrible decisions. Except for him the characters have completely understandable motivations that might at times be self-serving, but are relatable and generally trying to do what their society says is acceptable or necessary. I don't really see why people refer to the characters as awful people, they are the products of their society and in most cases are actually generally trying to do what they think of as right. It's just they come from a horrible society of aristocrat warlords.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The show has been dark as gently caress from episode 1 but the middle portion of yesterday's episode was, without exaggeration, the most desaturated thing I've seen on TV, and the day-for-night stuff was ridiculous because they didn't bother shooting it from angles that would hide the shadows.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It reminded me of low budget shows using a filter to portray darkness, at one point I thought something was wrong with my TV but then I saw the moon and a few stars and realized it was intentional.

Was not expecting the wholesome ending. For a minute I thought they really did have Laenor killed. I should've realized from how quick he was to fight Ser Qarl.

I'm on #TeamRhaenyra

Holy gently caress I'm a bad TV watcher.

But holy poo poo I'm still so against hashtag whatever team bullshit, just wanna see everything burn down now. (not against you, just the bullshit social media engagement in general)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This episode had the most dragons ever seen on-screen, but not a single person was stepped on by a dragon.

A--

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

I'd say the reason for the show being so much better than the alternatives is because the writers seem to actually understand the concept of a tragedy. The characters are, by and large, doing what their society tells them is right and what they might even believe to be right, but they are all flawed and doomed in some way. Larys is probably the only real villain and he's obviously setup this as a side character who exists to encourage other characters to make terrible decisions. Except for him the characters have completely understandable motivations that might at times be self-serving, but are relatable and generally trying to do what their society says is acceptable or necessary. I don't really see why people refer to the characters as awful people, they are the products of their society and in most cases are actually generally trying to do what they think of as right. It's just they come from a horrible society of aristocrat warlords.

yeah I like this a lot about it, all these people are operating within their institutions (except for Daemon lol)

it's kinda like, I heard someone ask whose fault this whole mess is, and really, well, no one's? You could say it was Jaehaerys' fault for elevating Viserys over Rhaenys, but if Aemma and his son survive, it's probably a moot point. You could say it was Viserys' fault for elevating Rhaenyra and then getting remarried, but if she and Alicent maintain their friendship, or if Alicent never gets married to Viserys, it's probably something they could have navigated. So maybe it's Alicent's fault, but her best friend (and someone she's almost definitely in love with) *lied* to her about something super important and broke her trust, and her father (whom she respects immensely) has her paranoid about her children being murdered. Is it Rhaenyra's fault for lying, and for really obviously having bastard children? Maybe, but she was put on the spot in a very precarious situation after effectively being groomed by her uncle and then protecting herself from the consequences of sleeping with Cole, and again, if she and Laenor actually have a kid that's obviously both of theirs, maybe Alicent then accepts the offer to join their houses in marriage. It's Daemon's fault, then? Well, probably more than most, but he doesn't know that Rhaenyra is going to sleep with a Kingsguard. Cole's fault? He's a real piece of poo poo now but he was put in a *real* awkward and arguably abusive position by Rhaenyra, then put in another real awkward position when she wants to continue the relationship secretly.

So it's basically the institutions and bad luck bending these people toward this humongous clusterfuck. A lot of it could be avoided or blunted if one or two things happened differently, but they didn't

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The night shooting this week was a mix of beautiful and weak. Like, in Aemond's scene, there was a lot of murk, but there was also one shot of him in a grassy sand dune that had this perfect moon-blue backlighting. Or Nyra and Daemon's conversation; Nyra had moonlight on her face and she looked dope, Daemon looked like a silhouette. Overall I felt the bad shots were outweighed by those that conveyed the feeling of being somewhere dark and light pollution-free.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Dessel posted:

Holy gently caress I'm a bad TV watcher.

But holy poo poo I'm still so against hashtag whatever team bullshit, just wanna see everything burn down now. (not against you, just the bullshit social media engagement in general)

Seeing grown rear end adults cheering on the 4v1 baby brawl is some weird garbage

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Perfect Potato posted:

Seeing grown rear end adults cheering on the 4v1 baby brawl is some weird garbage

:goofy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mweber posted:

That sounds awesome. Curious who they’ll cast as young Corlys.

i almost said brian tyree henry but he's 40 lol