Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FractalSandwich posted:

They could totally make a parry work on a 5-star if they really wanted to, as long as it's a character who wants to stay on the field anyway. It would just be a question of how much they had to push it. Multiple charges? Instantly resets its own cooldown if you land it? Just has a plain huge payoff? All three?

Or instead of that, they could do something with an alternate sprint that rewards you for dodging things with its iframes. That would be a more flexible way of capturing the same feeling.

it would still feel bad to fight hilichurls with, as you sit around for 10 seconds waiting for one to take a swing at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The issue is skills are tied to energy generation so holding skill cooldowns is generally really bad. You could put a parry on a character with 3 skill charges so you don't get punished for holding one of them back, that could work. Or give a character like Albedo with -26 seconds downtime a modal hold E.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If it's got multiple charges, that frees you up to use the tap mode without dropping your guard, yeah.

Just in general, it's only a matter of making sure the tap mode is good enough on its own, but it becomes great when you can land a parry. It's all tuning. I don't think it's an intractable design problem at all.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The real test is if the shield can hold up against the situations where you really need it i.e. lawachurls, azhdaha, etc.

Thoma sucks at all of those while Yun Jin is actually pretty decent. I'll have Candace reasonably built as of later today, so I'll know by then.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's hard to go back to other shields after Zhongli. You mean I need to actually hold back and not do my full combo? Or otherwise avoid getting hit? What is this nonsense? I'm supposed to be able to trade blows!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally getting Zhongli was like the best and worst thing that happened to my account. Best because he's really nice to have and super useful for the overworld or just turning on easy mode in boss fights, and worst because if I ever see anyone's HP drop now I feel like it's a full-on emergency

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Do people not use the food gadget at all? No need for a healer, unless you're in the Abyss I guess.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Changing gadgets away from the fan is annoying.also much easier to keep everyone topped off when the healer can heal people off field.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

Do people not use the food gadget at all? No need for a healer, unless you're in the Abyss I guess.

Starting in late Inazuma or maybe just since Chasm, Mihoyo has started occasionally tying the gadget slot to necessary combat tricks. (See Ruin Serpent).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yanfei can't eat enough for me to stop her from dying. Like, do you want to die or just cram down another hash brown idgaf if you're "full"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I generally play like Abyss rules are always in effect

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Changing gadgets away from the fan is annoying.also much easier to keep everyone topped off when the healer can heal people off field.
I'd love some kind of quick-select wheel like the Tab menu for changing gadgets.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I used food a lot from the start of the game until somewhere in the AR40s. It would be useful if they added some kind of food/potion loadout that you could press a button and apply to your team, to be used in domains or weekly bosses etc. Not just 1-2 things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay I didn't ask for this but yeah, this is appreciated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact_Leaks/comments/xuqgyi/nahidas_resistance_to_interruption/

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it would still feel bad to fight hilichurls with, as you sit around for 10 seconds waiting for one to take a swing at you

Grassfire.

Wisely, the Scarlet King has prevented us from deploying them against his empire.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Hope Dehya can summon a magitech lion. These advanced eremites are so much cooler than Cyno...

I ask for this in every character and situation after getting used to Raiden tbh. Like what do you mean enemies can stop you from attacking by hitting you, that's nonsense. It's why everyone uses Zhongli for Liyue's big 3 (Hu Tao/Ganyu/Keqing).

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Gathering Candace cactus is considerably worse than Tighnari, Collei, and Dori ascension materials which were all bad grinds. This is a worrying trend.

Cyno crosses the line. Scarabs are so hard to find that I don't want to spend primos on this character. I'll probably have Candace fully ascended before I find 40 scarabs. Maybe someday there'll be a merchant you can buy scarabs from. :shobon:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i just use tighnari because he has the sumeru specialty minimap passive :twisted:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I use cyno to farm mushrooms

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I used Yelan, Sayu, and Tighnari (+ the interactive map) for Candace's materials. Wasn't too bad, and they grow in bunches. Dori's and Collei's mats were much worse, the former growing on walls and the latter tending to be in extreme elevations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Eimi posted:

Equally no one is shocked by Oz. Instead Fischl does most of the shocking when she starts talking.

People have plenty of other acceptable targets for bigotry. Not a huge fan of the recent commission that involves you attacking hilichurls for the crime of "having a lot of food".

Some of the stuff with treasure hoarders and eremites is kinda iffy too, there's plenty of text about unfair conditions and limited opportunities in Liyue and Sumeru, and we've seen a fair number of sympathetic characters from each faction. Still, the number of double takes I've run into on "clear out the goblins" missions is probably highest overall.

If the shady adventures guild commissions go unaddressed for long enough, that might enable some really fun reveals when we finally get to their HQ in Snezhnaya. With some decent writing, you could do very interesting things looking at who the high level decision makers are and to what extent the guild lets them exert influence / soft power.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I hit 130 candace mats doing beetles. The most f'd up character releases so far have been Ayaka, Tighnari, and Cyno due to zero prefarm, and Cyno's were by far the most painful. (Collei's sucked too but I wasn't peeing my pants to level collei).

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

gandlethorpe posted:

I generally play like Abyss rules are always in effect

I'm still building up a second team just to finish Abyss tutorial, but yeah this is how I've been training myself in the meantime. Every time I have to pop a pigeon dinner or a dozen feels like a personal failure on my part.

In non-combat mechanics, I fear the foreshadowing that we might be getting a permanent version of this Lemonade Stand minigame in some later version. Especially considering I finished it and still don't really understand how it works. Is using all my funds bad? Good? Who knows, you don't get to retry like other event minigames!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nahida also needs them so I marked the cliff side spawns. They're pretty clustered, took 3 runs to farm them

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tree Reformat posted:

In non-combat mechanics, I fear the foreshadowing that we might be getting a permanent version of this Lemonade Stand minigame in some later version. Especially considering I finished it and still don't really understand how it works. Is using all my funds bad? Good? Who knows, you don't get to retry like other event minigames!

I think the main thing is just meeting the minimum bar for every category. Your profits decrease by a lot when you don't. So...moving bonuses around, putting the shop assistant where they can be most useful, etc etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get infinite days at the end so it doesnt really matter. I only noticed the economy boons tab (feedback) at about day 18 or so which means my time won't be competitive with real speedruns unfortunately.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tree Reformat posted:

I'm still building up a second team just to finish Abyss tutorial, but yeah this is how I've been training myself in the meantime. Every time I have to pop a pigeon dinner or a dozen feels like a personal failure on my part.

The event at least has infinite cycles though, right? So you basically are getting to try again every time you do a round, just the counter keeps going up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MoonCrab posted:

Hope Dehya can summon a magitech lion. These advanced eremites are so much cooler than Cyno...

I ask for this in every character and situation after getting used to Raiden tbh. Like what do you mean enemies can stop you from attacking by hitting you, that's nonsense. It's why everyone uses Zhongli for Liyue's big 3 (Hu Tao/Ganyu/Keqing).

While exploring Sumeru, my "lore" team didn't have a shielder when I ran into the electro lawachurl plus a bunch of electro slimes and shamachurls or whatever in an underground ravine where everywhere was covered in water. People complain about shields and mhy keeps trying to do things that get around shields but the also love situations and enemies that basically demand shields or get stunlocked forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The teapot super let me down because I was hoping for a big wall of vines I could grow things like Violetgrass on or just a greenhouse.

I want an Animal Crossing shovel so I can just pick up resource areas and move them closer together.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Putting Kuki (beetles) and Cyno (scarabs) on the same banner really is something, I'll give them that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Kuki is Naku Weed (like Yoimiya)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ah gently caress nevermind, I was thinking Heizou. Half complaint withdrawal, and resubmitted under, gently caress them bugs

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Do they have friendship increasing teapot blueprints for Sumeru characters yet? I'm almost maxed out on my other ones.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Garrand posted:

While exploring Sumeru, my "lore" team didn't have a shielder when I ran into the electro lawachurl plus a bunch of electro slimes and shamachurls or whatever in an underground ravine where everywhere was covered in water. People complain about shields and mhy keeps trying to do things that get around shields but the also love situations and enemies that basically demand shields or get stunlocked forever.

I think I know which cave you're talking about and that was my one and only party wipe in more than a year lol

I think the big thing mhy messed up with in regards to shields is that full damage mitigation/"overhealing" and full stagger resistance are 2 completely different things, but mhy treats them like they're the same. When in reality, both are just a potential tools they could dole out to various supports to beef up their viability.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MoonCrab posted:

I think I know which cave you're talking about and that was my one and only party wipe in more than a year lol

I think the big thing mhy messed up with in regards to shields is that full damage mitigation/"overhealing" and full stagger resistance are 2 completely different things, but mhy treats them like they're the same. When in reality, both are just a potential tools they could dole out to various supports to beef up their viability.

they do give out stagger resistance separately from shields, for example everyone's favorite hydro all-star Xingqiu gives it for the entire duration of his burst

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far my takeaway from the Weinlesefest events is that even though I think this game can often be far too wordy and find myself mashing through dialogue, I'm pretty much always happy to hang out and listen to Fischl or Klee talk. They're both just so entertainingly nuts that I can't help but love them the most.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

avoraciopoctules posted:

People have plenty of other acceptable targets for bigotry. Not a huge fan of the recent commission that involves you attacking hilichurls for the crime of "having a lot of food".

Some of the stuff with treasure hoarders and eremites is kinda iffy too, there's plenty of text about unfair conditions and limited opportunities in Liyue and Sumeru, and we've seen a fair number of sympathetic characters from each faction. Still, the number of double takes I've run into on "clear out the goblins" missions is probably highest overall.

If the shady adventures guild commissions go unaddressed for long enough, that might enable some really fun reveals when we finally get to their HQ in Snezhnaya. With some decent writing, you could do very interesting things looking at who the high level decision makers are and to what extent the guild lets them exert influence / soft power.

Given Katheryne's true identity and the existence of Sandrome, it would be more surprising if the guild wasn't under the control of the Fatui.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Eimi posted:

Given Katheryne's true identity and the existence of Sandrome, it would be more surprising if the guild wasn't under the control of the Fatui.
You'd think that they'd have noticed that Nahida has been taking one of the Katheryne puppets out for joyrides and got it killed in the process of frustrating a Fatui Harbinger's plot before they just replaced her with another puppet. Maybe they're just different Fatui divisions that don't talk to one another.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Incoherence posted:

You'd think that they'd have noticed that Nahida has been taking one of the Katheryne puppets out for joyrides and got it killed in the process of frustrating a Fatui Harbinger's plot before they just replaced her with another puppet. Maybe they're just different Fatui divisions that don't talk to one another.

Scaramouche went rogue and is trying to seize the Gnosis of Wisdom to ascend to godhood; that's not part of the Tsaritsa's plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The fact that the adventurer's guild maintains You Gotta Get Paid as a core tenet seems fairly harmless from the perspective of a traveling murdohobo, but the fact that Snezhnaya and the Fatui are so aggressive in leveraging economic power to get things done may cast it in a different light. Given the amount of money the Fatui spend on shady CIA shenanigans across the world, steering meddlesome folks with Visions to focus on stuff that aligns with their interests seems very much within their budget. You don't always know who posted the bounty you're currently pursuing as an adventurer, after all.

Even if the adventurer's guild is staunchly separate from the government in frostyland, I'm not sure there's much stopping a Fatuus from just anonymously hiring the Traveler to break some ruin seals or eliminate gangs outside their sphere of influence.

Would be pretty funny if Tartaglia's next character quest involved him showing up halfway through you unsealing an ancient demon for a wealthy anonymous employer and telling you he hired the Traveler because he was hoping it might turn into a three way brawl.