Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I have an idle skilling question: does anything I'm doing right now become automated later? Between leveling skills, buying skillers, moving up to a new mob after x kills, upgrading smith items... It's a lot of buttons to press on different screens, and I can see ascensions becoming very tedious very fast if this has to be repeated forever. It was a bit tedious even before my first ascension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

I have an idle skilling question: does anything I'm doing right now become automated later? Between leveling skills, buying skillers, moving up to a new mob after x kills, upgrading smith items... It's a lot of buttons to press on different screens, and I can see ascensions becoming very tedious very fast if this has to be repeated forever. It was a bit tedious even before my first ascension.

There is auto progression for individual combat regions that can be unlocked. When you get rifts unlocked, there is a contracts tab with goals to get medals. Those medals can be traded for stuff, keys to unlock extra ascension bonuses and auto progression.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It really doesn't. It's one of the main reasons I stopped idle skilling, it gets real tedious flipping between your 20 different features with little to no QoL.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I really like Myst Legacy, is not strictly speaking a incremenal, but gets me trough the night :D

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arzaac posted:

It really doesn't. It's one of the main reasons I stopped idle skilling, it gets real tedious flipping between your 20 different features with little to no QoL.

Yeah, idle anything as a concept needs to include the ability to set something up, and then have it be capable of doing that thing without having to set it up again more than a couple times. Otherwise it's not really idle.

As a gameplay loop conceptually I'd describe it as: Unlock ability to mine copper. Manually mine some copper. Use a bunch of copper. Reset something. Manually mine copper a little faster. Use a bunch of copper. Reset something. Copper starts mining. Use copper to make mining a little faster. Reset something. Copper is mining. Keep spending copper to make it faster. Spend a bunch of copper to unlock mining iron. Manually start mining iron. Reset something.

If the whole loop is just manually doing something though, it's not idle. It's just a game. Games are good too, but idle games should be making idle the things that you do every time something gets reset or changes.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

kaaj posted:

So I've got another question about Trimps. This is my current portal snapshop.

I once pushed to Zone 145 but it felt a bit slow, I mainly did it because I was ok leaving the game offline for few days. I think I unlocked everything what's there to unlock before 145. Overall, it feels like the progress slowed down and I'm trying to figure if I'm missing something or if the next step just just grinding more helium. From the Helium challenges the only one I didn't do yet is Nom, I ran other ones at least once before. I usually do dailies though for Helium.

I'm currently finishing a run which will give me next ~700k helium. Does anybody have any particular tips how to speed up the progress here?

You can almost certainly do the Scientist V challenge there - that one gives an increasing Helium boost per zone that really stacks up. The wiki indicates that even just going to Zone 140 it will give you about 80%+ more helium, and that just gets better the higher you reach.

You are probably at the point as well where stacking up your C^2 modifier is valuable. You don't have to push super far, just do each C^2 until it slows down a bunch and move on.

This tool is handy for not having to manually pick perks: https://grimy.github.io/perks.html. Just export and paste your save data, and it comes with various settings for zone ranges and certain challenges.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 29, 2022

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Gully Foyle posted:

You can almost certainly do the Scientist V challenge there - that one gives an increasing Helium boost per zone that really stacks up. The wiki indicates that even just going to Zone 140 it will give you about 80%+ more helium, and that just gets better the higher you reach.

You are probably at the point as well where stacking up your C^2 modifier is valuable. You don't have to push super far, just do each C^2 until it slows down a bunch and move on.

This tool is handy for not having to manually pick perks: https://grimy.github.io/perks.html. Just export and paste your save data, and it comes with various settings for zone ranges and certain challenges.

How did I not see that Scientist V was not done ... I just continued the run after finishing the challenge and my helium per hour went from <6k to ~23k when reaching zone 115. That's a massive boost, thanks for all the tips above.

ErIog posted:

You need to throw more points in looting because it also improves those helium drops. I get about 1.1 million helium from a Crushed run to Bionic Wonderland at a very similar progression point. But, I will say, I am kind of also a little stalled out and feel like I probably just need to ladder up by doing runs and spending helium.

Thanks for the tips re looting. Am I right that this also indirectly will boost resources from Bone Shrine?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

kaaj posted:

How did I not see that Scientist V was not done ... I just continued the run after finishing the challenge and my helium per hour went from <6k to ~23k when reaching zone 115. That's a massive boost, thanks for all the tips above.

Thanks for the tips re looting. Am I right that this also indirectly will boost resources from Bone Shrine?

Yes, bone charges also get affected by your looting perk level so it ends up being quite a lot more than just 10 minutes of progress per level of bone shrine. The text explanation for bone shrine mentions this in-game, but it's very easy to miss.

Also, remember to try to keep pushing up to new zones whenever it makes sense. The unlocks for new boosts are kind of tucked away and not spread out evenly, but you can make things take longer unnecessarily if you stay at the same max zone for too long. You can just spam runs to try to gain helium, but that kind of has diminishing returns.

People complain the game isn't fun without the automator script to auto-portal, but I'm finding that the game is designed well enough to not need it. There's always some kind of challenge or achievement to target to push things forward and increase your gains substantially.

At the part you're at it can be a little odd to figure out if you've maxed out on your current run, but once you get up just a little bit higher it becomes very easy to understand when you can no longer make real progress to another milestone without spending your helium and portaling.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 29, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ErIog posted:

Yes, bone charges also get affected by your looting perk level so it ends up being quite a lot more than just 10 minutes of progress per level of bone shrine. The text explanation for bone shrine mentions this in-game, but it's very easy to miss.

Also, remember to try to keep pushing up to new zones whenever it makes sense. The unlocks for new boosts are kind of tucked away and not spread out evenly, but you can make things take longer unnecessarily if you stay at the same max zone for too long. You can just spam runs to try to gain helium, but that kind of has diminishing returns.

People complain the game isn't fun without the automator script to auto-portal, but I'm finding that the game is designed well enough to not need it. There's always some kind of challenge or achievement to target to push things forward and increase your gains substantially.

At the part you're at it can be a little odd to figure out if you've maxed out on your current run, but once you get up just a little bit higher it becomes very easy to understand when you can no longer make real progress to another milestone without spending your helium and portaling.

I've never auto portal with auto trimps that feels like the fun lever to pull to me timing when to portal and making it work with when I'm checking in with the game. Most of the annoying stuff has automation features in game but they come pretty late, I could probably switch to using Trimps automation entirely at this point around zone 500. I'd only miss perks (doing ratios by hand sucks seriously once you are assigning hundreds of thousands of levels to each perk II every portal it gets old. You still do need to manually manage a few levels like capable and pretty much everything else you unlock that has a cap.

That said you can modify your Perk ratio from the default if you want to try something else. Very easy. Don't manually allocate that stuff it's tedious you still get the knobs to turn even on auto.

e: Play how you find fun don't let anyone else tell you you are playing wrong there's no multiplayer, there's no leader board anyone mad at you is a fool. If part of it is tedious automate it out! Same as with any game with mod support why torture yourself with a part you don't like.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 29, 2022

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
After missing that Scientist V challenge, I went and checked if I didn't miss anything else. Summary was that:

- I got extra 30% from easy / quick C^2 challenges (as mentioned above)
- I didn't have any Prison nor Bionic Wonderland challenges done too. Managed to clear Prison in < 1h45m and to Wonderland <20h, which added another ~70% damage.

I'm in a Daily Challenge run now at Z127 but I think that I'll end it around 140 or so and try to push to 150 either now or in the next run. I'm not super crazy about optimal Helium per hour as I'm doing fair amount of AFKing in that run but it should be better now than it was before.

Still mad at myself for few weeks of playing without Scientist V :D

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Has anyone played much Lootun? I think the itch version got posted here a few months back but the steam version adds a ton of content, the the demo is like 8 hours and absolutely had me dropping a fiver for the really good full version. My one complaint is that there are three (four) things called rubies

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Saraiguma posted:

Has anyone played much Lootun? I think the itch version got posted here a few months back but the steam version adds a ton of content, the the demo is like 8 hours and absolutely had me dropping a fiver for the really good full version. My one complaint is that there are three (four) things called rubies

I'll definitely check it out when it exits EA

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wish NGU struck more of a balance between adventure advancement and boss advancement. Past a certain point fairly early on it feels like you spend 95% of you time waiting for things that improve adventure A/D to slowly tick up so you can idle the next zone after maxing the previous one and 5% of your time on anything else.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Finally unlocked cows in FAPI, though it was a bit anticlimactic because you need to have 1000 worms to get a cow?
I decided to do a long run to unlock cows, not knowing it had further requirements, and by thee time i got there i only had 500ish worms. (after a nearly 24h run)

I reincarnated to Freeeloader as it has the biggest chance to get drops (not sure it counts for worms?) and beelined for every worm drop node. After 6h i still only have 400 worms. Are cows so good i should just grind out the 1000 worms to get my first cow or should i just reincarnate whenever my runs stall?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Dipping my toe in this genre, it looks like there are a LOT of things in it and I'm not really sure where to start. Looking for something to fiddle with on commutes and in waiting rooms, so it has to function on mobile and has to have offline progress rather than needing to keep it running. Besides that, I'd prefer one where numbers don't get to a scientific notation scale, for some reason that makes them stop feeling satisfying/real to my brain.

Anyone have a favorite they'd like to recommend?

Here are my recommendations for your criteria (mobile and no internet). Sorry I am not sure if they have huge numbers or not. I went through my app install history and pulled out the ones I remember liking the most. Apologies if you're not on Android. Take a look if they have iOS equivalents:

Clickpocalypse II: I really liked this one. I've reinstalled it like twice I think. There's a slow ramp up and then once you unlock a bunch of things, the game basically plays itself but by then you've seen almost all that the game offers you. It has basically an end when you get all the achievements. I like idle games with a definite end or a logical stop point.

Tap Wizard: Idle Magic Quest: seems like the name changed since I last played it, so I dunno if updates were added or if it's just a branding thing. I believe it used to be called Idle Magic Attack and a lot of people liked playing it because you can tweak and play around with spell synergy and there wasn't really a bad way to build so you could experiment nad have fun. I liked this game a lot but didn't dive into it as much as others in past idle threads/mobile threads.

Idle Oil Tycoon: honestly I forgot about this game, but I remember liking it when I played. It was a by-the-numbers idle game, but the ramp and tuning I remember being quite good (as in, you don't hit a boring wall too fast and end game is a good ramp up)

Spaceplan: It's paid, but it's short, tight and has a definite end. I played the free prototype ages ago: http://jhollands.co.uk/spaceplan/ and finally got it on sale on Steam and finished it in like two days. It's good fun and I like it as a good example of how you can make idle games not last forever and be good. Maybe pick it up on a sale.

Right now, I'm playing a lot of Egg Inc.. I played it on launch and had fun for a few weeks, then put it aside for 5 years and I've come back this summer. Egg Inc is really polished and the early game is super fun. Once you finish early game/hit midgame, you unlock online coop play and prestigeing and more depth, but fundamentally the gameplay remains the same. IAP is a huge QoL upgrade. I can't honestly recommend it unless you like the genre and you like what the game gives you, but it is currently keeping me quite engaged at the level that I'm on a discord to coordinate coops haha.

I always have a soft spot for the classics that got me really into idle games though. Although they're web-based and I used to have a second window open while I would do work, so it's not terribly mobile/commute friendly. That would be the ones listed in the OP:
Candy Box 1 and 2: https://candybox2.wordpress.com/
A Dark Room: http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/
Shark Game (goon made): http://cirri.al/sharks/

I'd say those are what I would recommend for someone wanting to dip their toe in the genre. If you do like seeing numbers go up, come back and we'll get you started on the more mechanically complex ones like NGU (also goon made) and the like.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Ineptitude posted:

Finally unlocked cows in FAPI, though it was a bit anticlimactic because you need to have 1000 worms to get a cow?
I decided to do a long run to unlock cows, not knowing it had further requirements, and by thee time i got there i only had 500ish worms. (after a nearly 24h run)

I reincarnated to Freeeloader as it has the biggest chance to get drops (not sure it counts for worms?) and beelined for every worm drop node. After 6h i still only have 400 worms. Are cows so good i should just grind out the 1000 worms to get my first cow or should i just reincarnate whenever my runs stall?

Drop chance does not affect worm drop chance.

It's probably best to do dedicated worm runs as the Harvester (their unique class bonus gives a worm catching bonus on kills), putting your spare talent points into increasing worm drop chance and the number of worms you get from a potato, and running level 1-9 (or 2-9 if you can manage one-hit kills on it) overnight.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Feline Mind Meld posted:

In 2 weeks you'll be sitting in the last car with me, straw in your mouth lazing about until we pick up some new updates

is a fun game

You were right. It did take me 2 weeks. I'm at dark tubes waiting for the next update.

Guess it's time to try FAPI. No need to play WAMI right? Besides being curious on how WAMI initially improved/modified the NGU formula? I'm assuming FAPI is a net upgrade on it (in terms of QoL and game)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ineptitude posted:

You probably want to get at least 1 cow early to get residue production going, but I wouldn't worry too much about it because you will get a bunch of upgrades to worm production and cow price. Notably:
  • First off, if you wanna maximize worm production you pick Harvester (because his unique class talent makes it so critical hits trigger a 30% bonus to worm drop chance) and probably focus down worm drop chance and worms dropped on the talent tree.
  • Whack-a-potato has a cow cost discount you can buy.
  • The 4th reincarnation tier has a cow cost discount, and the 5th one doubles your worm drops in medium.
  • Every challenge increases your number of worms dropped. Additionally, challenge 7 both reduces cow cost by 50% and doubles worms dropped.

Getting cows gets way, way easier once you have even some of this stuff.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Xtanstic posted:

You were right. It did take me 2 weeks. I'm at dark tubes waiting for the next update.

Guess it's time to try FAPI. No need to play WAMI right? Besides being curious on how WAMI initially improved/modified the NGU formula? I'm assuming FAPI is a net upgrade on it (in terms of QoL and game)

WAMI is a pretty different game than FAPI (at least so far). WAMI hews closer to NGU in terms of plate spinning and slowly making older mechanics obsolete.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Xtanstic posted:

Shark Game (goon made): http://cirri.al/sharks/

There's an updated fork of this that's a bit nicer, I think this is the latest url: https://alpha.shark.tobot.dev/

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

There's an updated fork of this that's a bit nicer, I think this is the latest url: https://alpha.shark.tobot.dev/

Bless.

Unponderable posted:

WAMI is a pretty different game than FAPI (at least so far). WAMI hews closer to NGU in terms of plate spinning and slowly making older mechanics obsolete.

Noted thanks!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Anyone else playing Dragonfist Limitless on Android? Fun DBZ-themed arcade beat-em-up incremental. I do really wish offline/idle features opened up earlier, but stacking multipliers and getting Big Numbers is very good and satisfying, even if it takes a while to start getting there.

I hope they do a PC release at some point, it scratches an itch.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

cum calamity posted:

Anyone else playing Dragonfist Limitless on Android? Fun DBZ-themed arcade beat-em-up incremental. I do really wish offline/idle features opened up earlier, but stacking multipliers and getting Big Numbers is very good and satisfying, even if it takes a while to start getting there.

I hope they do a PC release at some point, it scratches an itch.

Do they really expect me to to bang on this heavy bag for like 18 minutes while reading extremely bad text?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Do they really expect me to to bang on this heavy bag for like 18 minutes while reading extremely bad text?

Get xp gear to speed up training significantly, gold gear to use while fighting for extra gold. Neuro pills speed you through the more annoying training minigames. First prestige is a bit of a slog, it gets way less annoying after.

gay devil fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 3, 2022

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Dipping my toe in this genre, it looks like there are a LOT of things in it and I'm not really sure where to start. Looking for something to fiddle with on commutes and in waiting rooms, so it has to function on mobile and has to have offline progress rather than needing to keep it running. Besides that, I'd prefer one where numbers don't get to a scientific notation scale, for some reason that makes them stop feeling satisfying/real to my brain.

Anyone have a favorite they'd like to recommend?

Adventure Capitalist is straightforward, will introduce you to the main concepts of the genre, and the monetization can be ignored entirely. It's actually a game that requires being offline most of the time once you get going.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Didn't see this get posted yet, but there's a new casual browser incremental that I had fun with for the past 2 days, so far I'm 8 layers deep and there's still more. It's not the most original, but it's not the most bland either. I wish there was a bit more automation, but it's fine.

https://demonins-item-shop.demonin.repl.co/games/dodecaDragons/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hmm, how much magic would you go for on the first reset?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I tried going harvester for worms but even with the 2 key nodes i got far less worms than when on freeloader (harvester took 12h for 400 worms, freeloader 8h to 1k)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sindai posted:

Hmm, how much magic would you go for on the first reset?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh you keep your dragon level after a reset, that makes it much faster than I thought

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I tried going harvester for worms but even with the 2 key nodes i got far less worms than when on freeloader (harvester took 12h for 400 worms, freeloader 8h to 1k)

Worm drop rate is very important don't forget to level potatoes

I haven't anything you can safely ignore

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

DDD scratches the progression itch something bad for the first few resets.

It falls into a few idler traps though, like how having a resource grants you more of that resource but it only looks at your current quantity and not lifetime or highest. Which means that e.g. buying the 8 magic upgrade (magic multiplies its own gain) is not a good purchase when you only have 8 magic

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is there a new Ngu in the works? It seems like industries wasn't as big as Idle.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Zotix posted:

Is there a new Ngu in the works? It seems like industries wasn't as big as Idle.

Yes, somethingggg has posted semi-regular updates in here about it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I enjoyed Dodecadragons a bunch but it went pretty quick

I believe the third sigil, the Indigo sigil is the current endgame

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I enjoyed Dodecadragons a bunch but it went pretty quick

I believe the third sigil, the Indigo sigil is the current endgame

Any advice for how to tackle Magic Challenges?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zotix posted:

It's the game in progress being posted every few months that the combat looks like Megaman Battle Network

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Klungar posted:

Any advice for how to tackle Magic Challenges?

Short runs are key, in my experience. Start with all 4 challenges active, then cash out after a little bit; even if your score is only, like, 12, that has significant knock-on effects down the line.

Then, try a one-challenge run - for no more than 30 seconds. Try it with A1, then again with A2, and so on. Keep note of which one gets you the highest score, and which one nets you the lowest; IIRC, when I first started doing challenges, B1 was the single challenge I had the worst results with.

Then for a three-challenge run, select every challenge except the one you had the worst score with as a single challenge, because that's the one you're having the hardest time getting past, right? Again, a short run. Another for the 2-challenge run.

Short challenge runs matter because your 'total' challenge score is the 1-challenge score multiplied by the 2-challenge score and so on, so even small, unrewarding runs add up to big results. Then you chill out for a bit, spend whatever new platinum or fire or whatever that you've picked up, then do another series of short challenge runs to bump up your total score. Wash, rinse, repeat. Short runs are key. Incremental progress means you'll be going back and doing quick challenge runs a bunch, but before too long you pick up enough automation to take the sting out of it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oenis posted:

Didn't see this get posted yet, but there's a new casual browser incremental that I had fun with for the past 2 days, so far I'm 8 layers deep and there's still more. It's not the most original, but it's not the most bland either. I wish there was a bit more automation, but it's fine.

https://demonins-item-shop.demonin.repl.co/games/dodecaDragons/

Cute game, but I'm at cyan sigils and it's at the point where the resets are reasonably quick, but require an absurd amount of clicking (mostly for starting/stopping challenges and alternately pressing two different max all buttons), for which there's no foreseeable automation. Gonna give it a break for a while, unless I missed something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Cute game, but I'm at cyan sigils and it's at the point where the resets are reasonably quick, but require an absurd amount of clicking (mostly for starting/stopping challenges and alternately pressing two different max all buttons), for which there's no foreseeable automation. Gonna give it a break for a while, unless I missed something obvious.

the automation is very near to you

You get auto max all for fire upgrades with the next sigil, and the sigil after that gets you automatic challenge score and a buy max button for Magic upgrades

I think some of that automation takes too long to get, because I felt that frustration too, but you're literally almost there