Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yeah you can definitely find citronella or vibrating bark collars and if you've tried everything else (and it sounds like you have!) they're a fine tool to add to your toolbox. It doesn't sound like an anxious dog, I'm not sure meds would do anything. Barking is just part of being a dog sometimes, especially since he looks like a terrier. Keep up making him go inside whenever he starts with the barking outside and it will decrease but if your neighbor is already complaining it's fine to add in a collar. The folks I know who recommend bark collars suggest the garmin or dogtra but I think those are both ecollars, if you aren't wanting to use a stim I think petsafe has a citronella one and there's a well reviewed vibrating one called stopwoofer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I wouldn’t recommend anything that “listens” for barking because they can go off from unrelated sounds. You want something that you control so you can pair it with a training cue and ideally reduce the unwanted behavior over time.

Also please don’t spray citronella in your dog’s face :(

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also please don’t spray citronella in your dog’s face :(
Yeah, I knew about citronella collars and was immediately like WHAT NO I CAN'T. They just sound horrible, and I know he'd get pretty much as distressed as a shock would--he's, even for a dog, super sensitive to smells.

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I'll do some research and find a manual vibration-and-beep-only collar, and I'll talk to my vet (although you're right, he's not a very anxious guy), and I'll... I don't know. Bake a load of cookies in apology for my neighbor. I didn't realize he was upsetting their sleep schedule. I feel so guilty, this is something I should have addressed sooner.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Run out there and start barking in his face louder

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Cookies for the neighbor and an explanation that you're working on it is a great idea. Are they working a night shift and his daytime barking is bothering them or is he barking at night? You might have to just shift when you're taking him out to more sleep-friendly times while you work on the barking. Just run him out on a leash real quick before bed if you need to potty him with minimal barking.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

They and I both work different hours; I've gotta get up stupid early for work, so after I've been up for like two hours, I've been taking him out to potty--but that's still too early for them, it's only like 6am, and one of the people in that house works later shifts in the day. I'm going to have him on a leash from now on when I do this, and I'm going to try and make it happen later in the morning, when I can (although by the time I take him out, he's usually been woken up by me clammering around and starts to get antsy to use the bathroom). He's usually better on a leash, so I'm hoping between keeping him on one of them and having a dedicated "when you have this on, it's quiet time" collar it'll make things easier, until some more outside training finally sticks.

There's not really a great solution here. My hours are weird, their hours are weird, and my dog is an rear end in a top hat. Cute, but an rear end in a top hat.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Could you maybe take him on a morning walk in a different direction instead of the back yard? Just avoiding the back yard entirely at that time of day may help the neighbors.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

My dog is coming back from raising her puppies in a couple days! Apparently she was a good mum except she's started getting bored of them in the last week because they won't play with her like she wants lol. She's still not even two years old yet so no wonder she just sees them as potential playmates. Sounds like she's back to her old tricks though, the nursery staff asked me if she always pounces like a fox on her favourite toys and yep, that's one of her cutest habits.

:kimchi:
Adorable.

Last week, Holly ate a laptop cable (unplugged, thankfully, though I suppose if it had been plugged in that would have been one heck of a deterrent). I had left her for three hours tops, the cable had been bundled up where it was for ages and she hadn't gone for it before, and I guess we didn't realise she could reach it.

I feel like four months of her not destroying anything while we're out is a good innings when it comes to a six month old puppy.

Meanwhile, this week she was speyed. I'm counting my lucky stars she's currently not super interested in her stitches, and that the little onesie we've put on her seems to have contained some of her more goblin-y traits.

Overall, she's a pretty good puppy. I took her to the pub the other week to a colleagues farewell, and I was getting compliments left, right and centre on how well-behaved she is (they just don't know her like I do, heh), and a colleague asked me where we got her from, coz she'd like to get a puppy next year or the year after.

Anyway, this is my little goblin:

Wungus posted:

My dog won't stop barking :smith:

I've spent the last six months working through every webinar, every tutorial, every guide I can find on how to get him to ease up even a little, to no effect. He goes on regular walks every day, he has access to toys and plays with us regularly, we have two cats in the house that play with him somewhat, he's well socialized, but the second he goes into the yard he just starts barking and running and barking and running. It's not even like he's hard to train - any other command I've worked on, he's got it down by the second session. He just barks. And barks. It's genuinely like the second he goes outside, he has no ability to self regulate once he gets into the back yard.

This morning, my neighbor came out and told me we need to do something, because the main zone he barks is basically right at their bedroom window. If my neighbor had been pissed, I'd feel kind of self righteous or something and push back, but he just sounded tired, and the dude's been a really nice and patient neighbor so far. I feel miserable about this, I don't know what to do, because I'm not buying a loving shock collar, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not bad with dogs, I've had them my whole life and had no issues like this before. I swear, I'm going to have to talk to my vet about prescribing some kind of anti anxiety medication or SOMETHING.

My dog's a mutt, an unholy stubborn blend of a chihuahua, jack russell, pomeranian, miniature pinscher, and yorkie, so he's... high energy. And stubborn. And stubborn. I'm at my wit's end, I swear.

e: Happy guy tax, when he's not screaming at the sky

How big is your yard? Could you maybe create some sort of temporary barrier so he can't zoomie near your neighbours window? Or a small penned-off area (or even something you can tether them to if you need to leave them out for an extended period).

It's funny (and exhausting) how the environment can set them off. My parents old dog would stand at the beach and bark at the ocean, because how very dare it.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 5, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I have kind of a strange problem. this post is gonna start off pretty weird but please bear with me.

I have, no exaggeration, the most beautiful dog who has ever lived. he's an unusually colored husky with piercing blue eyes that melts the heart of everyone who meets him. not only that, but he is a very intelligent and sweet boy. he can almost read people and he meets them at their level, which i really do enjoy and love to see. I've watched grumpy old people and lifelong misanthropic acquaintances turn into giggly toddlers after spending 30 seconds with him. He's a truly remarkable good boy is what I'm trying to get across here

Well there's a darker side to this effect as well. about a year ago when i was still living in Arizona, i had taken him to the dog park and was chatting with someone while he ran around playing with the other dogs. one of the times i turned away to check on him, i realized a feeble old lady had attached a leash to his collar and was leading him toward the exit. panicked, i ran over to intercept them. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, maybe this old lady was half blind or suffering from dementia or something so i slowed down and walked alongside them, making my presence be known and resolving to intervene if she attempted to open the gate and leave with him. Once she got to the gate, she turned to me and, laughing, says "ha ha! got you! only joking" and then takes the leash off and grabs her dog and leaves.

i hadn't realized how much this had traumatized me until a few days ago when at a different dog park that was much bigger and forested, he ran off with a pack of dogs and i lost site of him for a couple minutes. I nearly had a breakdown trying to find him.

That's not all. there have been some truly scary situations while i've been out walking him. on at least two occasions, humongous pickup trucks with blacked out windows have slowed down and tracked alongside us as we walked. i have also had a complete stranger approach me and ask me how much i'd be willing to sell him for, not taking no for an answer and following along offering steadily higher and higher amounts and becoming more aggressive.

lastly, he is the most trust dog ever and he loves going on rides. if he sees an open car door, he bolts for it and jumps right inside. this is obviously not a problem when he's leashed, but say the worst case scenario happens and someone in my household accidentally lets him out. would whoever finds him even loving return him to me? these are the things that eat away at me.

anyway, those are the things that are more or less out of my control.

i would like some advice on the things that are within my control, like how do i train him not to jump in every car he sees without ruining the concept of "rides" for him? how can i contend with my increasing paranoia with walking him in public?

obviously from here on i will be taking him to dog parks where i can keep better track of him.

thanks!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is he microchipped?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is he microchipped?

yes he is

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

gently caress. People are terrible. I don't have any advice for you but I'm sorry you're dealing with multiple kidnapping attempts on your dog.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

also post pics of your perfect pup

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

gently caress. People are terrible. I don't have any advice for you but I'm sorry you're dealing with multiple kidnapping attempts on your dog.
Yeah same :(

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also this

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My vet only gave me glucosamine supplements for my dog's arthritis. I guess it's worth a shot going with the most natural route. He seems to like the taste of the supplements, regarding them as treats. So that makes compliance very easy. I haven't had any other snapping incidents, even with the cat drinking water right in front of him.

I think moving the water bowl so it wasn't next to where the food bowl was made a difference. Like just moving the water a few feet over means he doesn't associate it with the food as much anymore. Maybe, I don't really know but I'm glad there seems to be less drama between the animals. The cat is spending less time in my office since she got snapped at, which is sad but also probably helps keep the harmony. She comes in the office in the morning and evening to demand cuddles but she sleeps on a shelf in the other room during the day instead of sleeping on the office shelf.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

God Hole posted:

Well there's a darker side to this effect as well. about a year ago when i was still living in Arizona, i had taken him to the dog park and was chatting with someone while he ran around playing with the other dogs. one of the times i turned away to check on him, i realized a feeble old lady had attached a leash to his collar and was leading him toward the exit. panicked, i ran over to intercept them. I didn't want to jump to conclusions, maybe this old lady was half blind or suffering from dementia or something so i slowed down and walked alongside them, making my presence be known and resolving to intervene if she attempted to open the gate and leave with him. Once she got to the gate, she turned to me and, laughing, says "ha ha! got you! only joking" and then takes the leash off and grabs her dog and leaves.

I would have name and shamed the hell out of that lady and made sure everyone in the park knew what she did. Run her rear end out of town.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeahhh I kinda figured there wouldn't be much in the way of a real solution to this poo poo, just sucks. I do not envy real parents.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I would have name and shamed the hell out of that lady and made sure everyone in the park knew what she did. Run her rear end out of town.

I wanted to so bad but tbh I am a pretty big, intimidating dude and I really didn't like those optics.

unrelated: about a decade ago when I was in undergrad, I was smoking a cig on my friend's porch alone when I heard a bunch of screaming and commotion in an alleyway half a block up. I ran over and saw some dude beating on what I assumed was his girlfriend. I intervened, and then he and I started exchanging blows. all of a sudden I start flying backward through the air and slam full force into the mud behind me and then a flurry of punches and kicks followed. next thing I know, I am a mess on the ground, broken nose, the man and the woman have disappeared, and 4 frat guys are laughing and standing over me (one is actually sitting on my chest) talking about how they "citizen's arrested" me and were debating calling the cops on me for attacking that couple.

I managed to convince them to let me go when I told them what actually happened as blood poured out my mouth and reminded them that they had just ganged up on and beat the poo poo out of a stranger with no witnesses lol

anyway, that's all that was going through my head when I confronted this old lady: I was gonna get pinned by a bunch of dumbass samaritans while she walked off with my dog.

I think I need therapy.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I live to serve

he's a total couch potato

(has sound)
https://i.imgur.com/A3BMUf9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5gYA1zA.mp4

thanks for letting me vent in any case :)

God Hole fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 5, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

What a handsome guy! I would teach him an automatic check in when a person says hi to him. It should be easy enough to teach, just whenever someone says hi or wants to pet him give him a really fantastic treat. If you do it enough, with good enough rewards, your dog should be booking it to find you whenever someone approaches them. Not in a way where he's scared of the person but because he knows strangers means his person has something great for him!

You can also teach him to not get into a car without a cue. Open the car door when he's on leash and give him treats for staying near you until you use whatever car cue you want. When he understands the game you can start getting tricky by walking towards the car or patting the seat and rewarding him for not falling for it, or having other people drop by and open their car doors and call him in (without your cue). Just make your cue something most people wouldn't say when trying to get a dog into a car.

If it would give you peace of mind at parks you can get gps tracking collars, fi is the most popular among dog people I know. Most of them are subtle enough that someone abducting your dog wouldn't notice it wasn't a normal collar at first.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I live in constant terror that someone will steal my dog from my yard, or when we leave him tied to something when we go into a store or whatever. It's never happened yet and my wife is less concerned than I.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

When dog prices started going up around here during early covid I stopped leaving my tiny fluffy terrier tied up outside places bc of paranoia so I understand that lol.

I met a gorgeous Afghan at a dog park once, with this incredible curly tail. A couple months later the benches at the park had signs saying it had gone missing from their front yard and I 100% think it was stolen. So sad.

A GPS collar sounds like a great idea to accompany the training.

On another note, I'm meeting my dog's puppies today! I'll ask if I'm allowed to share pics of them today, I think after six weeks it was meant to be fine. My girl was very happy to be home, she's gone right back into her old routine. Had to get her down from six cups of food to three though, since she was eating enough to feed nine whole puppies. And she's still having (slightly gross warning) bloody discharge which is normal but annoying to have to clean up.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 5, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The trick is to have a horrible little monster dog, I never have to worry about Lavinia getting stolen

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love her. Lavinia is a terrific name.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Instant Jellyfish posted:

What a handsome guy! I would teach him an automatic check in when a person says hi to him. It should be easy enough to teach, just whenever someone says hi or wants to pet him give him a really fantastic treat. If you do it enough, with good enough rewards, your dog should be booking it to find you whenever someone approaches them. Not in a way where he's scared of the person but because he knows strangers means his person has something great for him!

You can also teach him to not get into a car without a cue. Open the car door when he's on leash and give him treats for staying near you until you use whatever car cue you want. When he understands the game you can start getting tricky by walking towards the car or patting the seat and rewarding him for not falling for it, or having other people drop by and open their car doors and call him in (without your cue). Just make your cue something most people wouldn't say when trying to get a dog into a car.

If it would give you peace of mind at parks you can get gps tracking collars, fi is the most popular among dog people I know. Most of them are subtle enough that someone abducting your dog wouldn't notice it wasn't a normal collar at first.

I am going to get started with these immediately, thank you!

:3: a face only everyone could love

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank you. She is a frenchie/pekenese Cross, about 80% blind, 99% deaf, and will be 15 next week.

And my favorite

She is a horrible gremlin baby and I love her. Also she’s so named because her dad was named Titus and we were theatre kids growing up

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 6, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I love her. Lavinia is a terrific name.

Tenth best, for me

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Hi dog people! I lost my most excellent dog in July. I'm looking for a new one. The complicating factor is my wife, who has ~preferences~, viz.:
  • Under 30 lbs. "I need to be able to pick it up" -- but also not too small, she doesn't want a toy/mini anything
  • As black as possible
  • Long silky hair and a "floofy" tail
  • No terriers (she thinks all terriers are wiry-haired, there is no convincing otherwise)
  • Companion dog, so not high energy like BC/Aussie
  • She likes dachshunds, but not a purebred (she's afraid for their backs)
  • Drop ears
Previous dog was a dachshund/shihtzu/unknown, according to the DNA test. Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time finding any dog fitting these parameters. Adding in my antipathy to poodle mixes makes it even worse since 90% of what I'm finding is a *poo of some sort. Also the insane people who are breeding Pyrenees with St Bernards seem to be dominating kijiji.

I thought a long-haired standard dachshund crossed with something might fit, but it turns out standard dachshunds are really rare around here, especially if you want long hair, and apparently an all-black dachshund is not "legal" (something to do with recessive genes and the danger of inbreeding).

So the question is, can you all suggest some breeds/mixes that are likely to hit those? Or even if you happen to know of anything in the PNW / British Columbia region. Much thank.

Old dog for reference:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 6, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tad Naff posted:

Hi dog people! I lost my most excellent dog in July. I'm looking for a new one. The complicating factor is my wife, who has ~preferences~, viz.:
  • Under 30 lbs. "I need to be able to pick it up" -- but also not too small, she doesn't want a toy/mini anything
  • As black as possible
  • No terriers (she thinks all terriers are wiry-haired, there is no convincing otherwise)
Previous dog was a dachshund/shihtzu/unknown, according to the DNA test. Anyway, I'm having a heck of a time finding any dog fitting these parameters. Adding in my antipathy to poodle mixes makes it even worse since 90% of what I'm finding is a *poo of some sort. Also the insane people who are breeding Pyrenees with St Bernards seem to be dominating kijiji.

I thought a long-haired standard dachshund crossed with something might fit, but it turns out standard dachshunds are really rare around here, especially if you want long hair, and apparently an all-black dachshund is not "legal" (something to do with recessive genes and the danger of inbreeding).

So the question is, can you all suggest some breeds/mixes that are likely to hit those? Or even if you happen to know of anything in the PNW / British Columbia region. Much thank.

Old dog for reference:

Bring home whatever and she'll be forced to accept it's cuteness and love.

Mini Bernedoole.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tibetan terrier (not actually a terrier)

Havanese

Lhasa apso

Tibetan spaniel

are the smallish, long haired breeds that come in black I know. I'd avoid a lot of the doodles/poos if you have a lot of strict requirements because, being mixes, it's hard to accurately predict how each one is going to look or how big they're going to end up. A lot of the doodles I've met have weirdly ended up way bigger than either parent and many are not low energy couch buddies. Picking a breed and looking up reputable breeders through the national breed association is probably your best bet at getting a predictable puppy. There are also usually breed specific rescues that might be able to help you find an adult dog that fits you.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HootTheOwl posted:

Bring home whatever and she'll be forced to accept it's cuteness and love.

Seconding this. It sounds like your wife wants an exact replacement for the old dog.

Even if you end up with the exact same breed/mix, the new one will have a completely different personality and temperament. If the new dog looks a lot like the old one, this could be very jarring and may cause you both to constantly compare the new dog to the old one.

I recommend going to a shelter and letting yourself fall in love.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Cheers all. Yeah I know she's kind of stuck on a type. Tibetan terrier looks like the most suitable, so I showed her. "What's that?" "A Tibetan terrier." "Doesn't look very silky." The picture, my friends, could have been of the inside of The Emperor of China's strategic silk reserves.

Oh, changes to the rules:
  • Ok maybe just mostly black
  • No Schnauzers
  • Must be mixed breed

I think maybe some more time needs to pass.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Thank you. She is a frenchie/pekenese Cross, about 80% blind, 99% deaf, and will be 15 next week.

And my favorite

She is a horrible gremlin baby and I love her. Also she’s so named because her dad was named Titus and we were theatre kids growing up

Wanna smoosh that face

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Wungus posted:

My dog won't stop barking :smith:

I've spent the last six months working through every webinar, every tutorial, every guide I can find on how to get him to ease up even a little, to no effect. He goes on regular walks every day, he has access to toys and plays with us regularly, we have two cats in the house that play with him somewhat, he's well socialized, but the second he goes into the yard he just starts barking and running and barking and running. It's not even like he's hard to train - any other command I've worked on, he's got it down by the second session. He just barks. And barks. It's genuinely like the second he goes outside, he has no ability to self regulate once he gets into the back yard.

This morning, my neighbor came out and told me we need to do something, because the main zone he barks is basically right at their bedroom window. If my neighbor had been pissed, I'd feel kind of self righteous or something and push back, but he just sounded tired, and the dude's been a really nice and patient neighbor so far. I feel miserable about this, I don't know what to do, because I'm not buying a loving shock collar, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not bad with dogs, I've had them my whole life and had no issues like this before. I swear, I'm going to have to talk to my vet about prescribing some kind of anti anxiety medication or SOMETHING.

My dog's a mutt, an unholy stubborn blend of a chihuahua, jack russell, pomeranian, miniature pinscher, and yorkie, so he's... high energy. And stubborn. And stubborn. I'm at my wit's end, I swear.

e: Happy guy tax, when he's not screaming at the sky

I don’t know what training methods you have tried but here is one that has worked for me. Basically it’s training a quiet command but what might sound counter intuitive is first you have to train a bark command.

So it goes roughly like this - your dog barks so you give your verbal approval indication (ie good boy or whatever) but no fuss and a low value treat and introduce a command with it (we use talk) so bark = good boy, low value treat and “talk”.

After a few goes of this you initiate the bark so it should go -•talk”, bark, “good boy” low value treat

After a bit of training your dog should now bark on command of talk. That’s stage one done.

Once you have taught them to bark on command you can then try to teach them to be quiet on command.

So give the talk command and when they stop barking give verbal approval, high value treat, big fuss and slowly introduced the quiet command (I use shush) so you end up with barking stops, approval, fuss, high value treat, “shush”

After a while of this you should be able to progress to - bark, shush, barking stops, approval, fuss high value treat and eventually the shush command should be well reinforced.

I hope that makes sense?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Andoman posted:

I don’t know what training methods you have tried but here is one that has worked for me. Basically it’s training a quiet command but what might sound counter intuitive is first you have to train a bark command.
In my first week with him (when he was like... 6 weeks old?) I got him sitting on command; in the first month, he could sit, lay, roll, shake, spin, stand, jump, go directly to wherever I pointed, and most importantly, absolutely ignore any attempt to get him to bark. In the year since then, I've added a bunch of tricks, because he's super smart, and we have never managed to get him to react to a speak command. I do appreciate the advice - it's what I did years and years ago with my german shepherd who was similarly a barker, and it worked GREAT, and I really encourage other people with similar problems to follow the same method.

Henry's an rear end in a top hat though lol

For a positive update though, I got a correctional collar that beeps and makes a small vibration, that has no prongs and can only go off from a button I press. Combining that with only taking him into the yard in the morning on a leash, he has barked one time since, and that was when a squirrel fell out of a tree about two feet from him while he was making GBS threads. I'm a little embarrassed at how easy it was to stop him from barking up a storm in the mornings by combining the collar (which, already, he treats as a "okay if this is going on, I'm in work mode" thing) and being leashed in the yard.

I've only used the collar three times too! Once when he started to bark at the TV for being off and wouldn't respond to commands to ignore it, once when he went from zoomies to cornering one of my cats and acted like a prick, and one time when I accidentally bumped the button when he was doing nothing and the sheer panic on his face sent me into a guilt cycle that led to a bunch of cuddles and treats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wungus posted:

In my first week with him (when he was like... 6 weeks old?) I got him sitting on command; in the first month, he could sit, lay, roll, shake, spin, stand, jump, go directly to wherever I pointed, and most importantly, absolutely ignore any attempt to get him to bark. In the year since then, I've added a bunch of tricks, because he's super smart, and we have never managed to get him to react to a speak command. I do appreciate the advice - it's what I did years and years ago with my german shepherd who was similarly a barker, and it worked GREAT, and I really encourage other people with similar problems to follow the same method.

Henry's an rear end in a top hat though lol

For a positive update though, I got a correctional collar that beeps and makes a small vibration, that has no prongs and can only go off from a button I press. Combining that with only taking him into the yard in the morning on a leash, he has barked one time since, and that was when a squirrel fell out of a tree about two feet from him while he was making GBS threads. I'm a little embarrassed at how easy it was to stop him from barking up a storm in the mornings by combining the collar (which, already, he treats as a "okay if this is going on, I'm in work mode" thing) and being leashed in the yard.

I've only used the collar three times too! Once when he started to bark at the TV for being off and wouldn't respond to commands to ignore it, once when he went from zoomies to cornering one of my cats and acted like a prick, and one time when I accidentally bumped the button when he was doing nothing and the sheer panic on his face sent me into a guilt cycle that led to a bunch of cuddles and treats.

Hey, I'm thrilled you have a solution that you both seem to be enjoying!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tad Naff posted:

• As black as possible
  • Drop ears

Old dog for reference:

Pretend you forgot about the weight limit and get a Newfoundland.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Opopanax posted:

The trick is to have a horrible little monster dog, I never have to worry about Lavinia getting stolen
:swoon:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Tad Naff posted:

Oh, changes to the rules:
  • Ok maybe just mostly black
  • No Schnauzers
  • Must be mixed breed
you'll get some random rear end mutt and they will be fantastic

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Every poodle mix I’ve met has been delightful except this Chihuahua Poodle mix I petsat who was a terrible rear end in a top hat that liked to nip at my hands and feet constantly

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Idiots probably think your dog is a wolf wolf/hybrid and that's why they are trying to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

God Hole posted:

I have kind of a strange problem. this post is gonna start off pretty weird but please bear with me.

I have, no exaggeration, the most beautiful dog who has ever lived.
Your dog is extremely photogenic and adorable. I would not respond well if anyone offered to buy my dog. That's some weird poo poo to say.

My first (family) dog was kidnapped at a playground. My mother and little sister went there and lost the dog. We spent a week frantically searching for him. The questionable circumstances of disappearing at a park and not being found by anyone led us to keep looking regardless. My mother and sister kept going back to the park to look for him until one day they went downtown and ran into the lady who kidnapped our dog. The lady insisted it was her dog and my mother had to take our dog back by force. gently caress that lady.

My mother was afraid she went too far, saying she wanted to call the police and they'd take the dog to the vet to get his chip scanned. (He was actually called "Chip" because had a microchip back when that was a novel concept and was a corgi like Ein.) I never believed my mother's story. My mother doesn't have a mean bone in her body, she would never use force. Clearly she was covering for my little sister who is full of bloodlust and becomes a demon out of hell when she's mad. I think my sis went feral on that dognapper lady. Good thing too, if they had let the dognapper lady walk off and called the cops about it we would never have seen our dog again :ohdear:

If I saw a little old lady trying or anyone else to kidnap my dog 'as a joke' I would be more than just rude.