Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the power creep situation like in Honkai Impact? I'm wondering if it's just something Mihoyo is especially good at managing or if that's a unique thing for Genshin, especially because I'm interested in Zenless Zone Zero and that looks structurally more similar to something like Honkai than Genshin.

The endgame content is scaled against the newest characters so old characters get left behind pretty consistently but the few remaining modes outside of endgame content that let you use your own characters are left incredibly weak to fit in the old characters. I guess the answer is "is there powercreep" depends on what modes you care about, but for the weekly modes there is and for almost everything else you can just do whatever and it won't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the power creep situation like in Honkai Impact? I'm wondering if it's just something Mihoyo is especially good at managing or if that's a unique thing for Genshin, especially because I'm interested in Zenless Zone Zero and that looks structurally more similar to something like Honkai than Genshin.

It feels like there is more powercreep in Honkai, but also more incentive to use meta teams with the leaderboard based end game.

They also have a couple systems to try and bring outdated characters up to snuff, either by augmenting the character themselves or giving them an upgraded weapon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't think the combat system is inherently limited to what's possible now. Many of the recent characters have been a pretty significant step up mechanically/fluidly, and there's one coming up that does damage by taking pictures. The issue is that a lot of the old characters do feel outdated, and bringing in more advanced encounters would need to accommodate them.

Like, there's a grand total of one character who does a significant amount of damage through plunge attacks, and they've barely revisited that space. Every character has access to one for the most part (RIP Tartaglia), but there are few who enable it, and none do it well. We've seen various types of jump pads in the open world now, but never in domains. Maybe they'd need to improve aerial controls, but there's a lot of design space to explore there, for one example.

Are you telling me you weren't using Albedo's elevator to do plunge attacks? SMH.

Edit: Imagine if Keqing's E auto-warped you above the enemy when you just mashed the button.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still use Albedo's elevator to do jump attacks. On accident. Fairly frequently.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lol honkai balance, 90 percent of the roster is bad compared to a modern character

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Clarste posted:

Are you telling me you weren't using Albedo's elevator to do plunge attacks? SMH.

Edit: Imagine if Keqing's E auto-warped you above the enemy when you just mashed the button.
I haven't forgotten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbxSnEnpII

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Eimi posted:

Dottore has split himself in multiple parts. It's possible he doesn't even know what all of his fragments are doing.

Or maybe he's just giving himself plausible deniability in case things go tits up. IIRC Tartaglia is supposed to show up in Sumeru, and the good doctor might not have Snezhnaya's blessing in this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

How many hundreds of years old does the traveler have to be to have a drink?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the hyperbloom damage depends on kuki but the 3 other characters still exist and do plenty of non-reaction damage.
so yeah you just want to build them for maximum non-EM-based damage. or in candace's case buff strength, which scales from HP

That's good to know, but I'd still like an answer on artifact sets, etc, for Candance. I really don't know how to build her.

Rexxed posted:

How many hundreds of years old does the traveler have to be to have a drink?

They're probably thousands of years old? A fortune teller in Sumeru predicts you'll live tens of a thousands of years more.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 4, 2022

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I wasn't expecting straight up torture (by the good guys, no less) to be part of the new archon quest :eyepop:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
It's good to hear that part of their focus is on the exploration as that's my favorite part of the game but it would be nice if they turned some of that focus on new experiences to the abyss as I'm sure they could come up with a better and more varied way of doing it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I'm convinced they are working on both new multiplayer and "endgame" modes, they're just taking their time to ensure it only improves monetization without player outrage, and there's no rush for them to deliver because the game is already so profitable.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

That's good to know, but I'd still like an answer on artifact sets, etc, for Candance. I really don't know how to build her.

Candace is really non item dependent her ideal is probably 4piece Noblesse for the team buff. If someone else in the team already has that then you can do 2pc Milelith for HP and then something like 2pc EoSF for ER.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I have a report.

Cyno is fun.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/monolithiaaa/status/1576977132839763975
https://twitter.com/Enthralpy/status/1576754756113997826

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mix. posted:

we're already at the point where people are accusing genshin of "just being a quick cash grab because HYV only cares about honkai actually, because they get an endgame" and im just sitting here like :psyduck: are we looking at the same games

Yeah like my experience as a new player and someone who was initially really turned off by the gacha, is that for as immoral and awful as that monetization scheme is the game looks like it's getting a sizable chunk of what it brings in put back into the game. You can't say this game is cheap or only putting in the bare minimum.

Traveller posted:

Or maybe he's just giving himself plausible deniability in case things go tits up. IIRC Tartaglia is supposed to show up in Sumeru, and the good doctor might not have Snezhnaya's blessing in this.

:hmmyes: Dottore is the most obviously evil harbinger, so I'm prepared to not be shocked at all to what depths he'll sink to. Also for Alhaitham to actually be a fragment of him, but he's the requisite good one so he's still technically playable after we kill the other evil fragments.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I guess I just don't understand what kind of person would be angry or upset at the existence of harder content that they can just... not do, the same way they don't do abyss? Who cares if other people get more primos than you, whales already do that. As long as the banner cost and frequency remains stable your income : outgoing balance will be exactly the same as it is now? You will be in no way materially disadvantaged.

I especially don't understand all the people on reddit who are crowing about not having to play the game they pay for and that other people also cannot play the game they pay for.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Finished the Archon quest finally and made a dent in the new event. Looking forward to drop kicking that douche Scaramouche into a volcano or something in the future.

Also before any additional endgame content is added I want Mihoyo to fill in this bit of the map because it's been annoying me since I started playing:

what secrets are you hiding there?!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

All I want is for the roguelike mode to be permanent. It doesn't even need to be hard. Just make it a thing I can do for like a couple books and weapon rocks every week or whatever and I will be extremely happy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well uh I hope the genshin people are better at designing rogue-lite than Honkai. It took them like 4 tries before making their rogue-lite permanent, and the the first year sucked so badly.

And the the 2nd year they made it a mandatory story and designed the way you play it in the worst way possible that most streamers dropped the game.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

x1o posted:

Finished the Archon quest finally and made a dent in the new event. Looking forward to drop kicking that douche Scaramouche into a volcano or something in the future.

Also before any additional endgame content is added I want Mihoyo to fill in this bit of the map because it's been annoying me since I started playing:

The rest of the world's bamboo.

Relatedly, it is amazing that there are literally two people in the world who will sell me beans, and one's a goddamn tavern owner. At least the guy in the village is more or less their equivalent of a grocer, but it's real baffling that the stupid things aren't just with all the other grains in the grocery.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How doable is the Abyss if you're playing on a phone? If that's already super hard, that would be another reason they might not be keen on making anything more demanding.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zenostein posted:

The rest of the world's bamboo.

Relatedly, it is amazing that there are literally two people in the world who will sell me beans, and one's a goddamn tavern owner. At least the guy in the village is more or less their equivalent of a grocer, but it's real baffling that the stupid things aren't just with all the other grains in the grocery.

The real wild thing to me is the intro nation is specifically wine country, you can visit a prominent vineyard, you can even decorate your pocket mansion with grapevines... but there has still never been an actual "grapes" food item you can obtain, or recipes that would use them.

I guess the real reason nobody will sell the Traveller alcohol is they all think they're allergic to grapes for some reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They're all wise to anime bullshit and just immediately plug their ears when the traveler starts going on about being "actually 500 years old"

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

How doable is the Abyss if you're playing on a phone? If that's already super hard, that would be another reason they might not be keen on making anything more demanding.

For teams that just require to chain ults and skills correctly without moving too much, which is most them, phone controls are not a problem and won't stop you from clearing abyss. Some characters like ZL get more valuable and you have to avoid teams that require you to aim a bow.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They're all wise to anime bullshit and just immediately plug their ears when the traveler starts going on about being "actually 500 years old"

Mondstadt, ironically, has very strict underage drinking laws.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hellioning posted:

Mondstadt, ironically, has very strict underage drinking laws.

Which is impressive, given there are no visible governing bodies of any kind in the country other than the knights.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

Which is impressive, given there are no visible governing bodies of any kind in the country other than the knights.
I guess that makes Jean a de facto military dictator. Some "City of Freedom".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mondstandt's governmental principles is 'if you're a tyrant barbatos will show up to help overthrow you but other than that go wild'.

Plus I think the church is supposed to have a lot of power we just don't really see it because our primary examples of church employees are an idol singer and a black-ops soldier.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Genshin Impact: We've added cover and various gadgets to our stealth mission. Please sneak up on these ducks.

Also Genshin Impact: Please follow this lady on her patrol through a camp in the desert. There is no cover, do not get spotted.

Tree Reformat posted:

I assumed it was a combination of the knights and the church, generic medieval/renaissance europe like . Of course, the highest-ranking person in both of those that we've met are sisters, so lol, gj getting rid of that monarchy.

f.e. I appreciate that they added a separate sound for running across piles of coins. They might've had it for that one tiny moment you got to run around in liyue's mint, but I haven't heard it in ages and it's always a welcome touch to see them put effort into your footsteps making different sounds on different materials.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 4, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Remember that Jean is only Acting Grand Master and Barbara is only the Deaconess. Jean would be outranked if Varka wasn't doing whatever he was doing and Barbara is outranked by most of the church (though, to be fair, the Barbatos pope is their dad.)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What the max Statue level for Sumeru right now? Want to know if I should bother to keep searching, or if I should wait for a new area to come out.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

What the max Statue level for Sumeru right now? Want to know if I should bother to keep searching, or if I should wait for a new area to come out.

7 + 13/35

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, cool, thanks.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had already built my kuki for EM so I threw her in a random hyperbloom team and randomly chunking 20k out of enemies is fun.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Mondstandt's governmental principles is 'if you're a tyrant barbatos will show up to help overthrow you* but other than that go wild'.

*Eventually. He might be on a thousand year drunken bender at the time so don't hold your breath waiting

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I have a report.

Cyno is fun.

I finally got enough to scarabs to make him somewhat playable, and he is!

Not even using a good artifact set or reactions properly yet, I just really like his SLAMs during burst.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Garrand posted:

I had already built my kuki for EM so I threw her in a random hyperbloom team and randomly chunking 20k out of enemies is fun.

It's nice not to have to build crit stats to see big numbers. I think that's why Aggravate has been underwhelming: yes, it CAN crit, but without both crit and EM it's extremely weak. Unless I'm missing something Hyperbloom doesn't seem great at AOE situations though. Well, I guess the solution there is more Hyperbloom.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

x1o posted:

There's mention of a port in the event quests, maybe there's a Mondstadt Part 2 in the line or that's just a piece of Fontaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Traveller posted:

There's mention of a port in the event quests, maybe there's a Mondstadt Part 2 in the line or that's just a piece of Fontaine.

I’d guess it’s the border of Fontaine, since it’s right next to the Oceanid, and we know she fled to Liyue from Fontaine.