Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

lol i need to know Bens opinion on climate

Al Gore continues to jump more and more sharks with his climate change malarky. A huckster for globalism, Gore claims we needed ‘global governance’
to solve the climate change problem. “Governance” sounds better than government and far better than what he’s really after, which is global communism.

Like most carnival barkers, he preys on the gullible. “Step right up! Give your money to me to help save the planet!” Too many people buy into the scam because the mainstream media and Hollywood personalities have been loudly beating the climate drum for many years. They throw around the word ‘science’ as proof without questioning the data.

Recently the creator of the ‘hockey stick’ climate graph, Michael Mann, was held in contempt of court for withholding his so-called scientific evidence. Why wouldn’t he show his data? Because it would prove it’s all a fraud, that’s why. The globalists have purchased the best scientists money can by. The data is skewed to fit what the buyers want.

Michael Mann was humiliated, but Al Gore has been joke for long time. He wants a $15 trillion carbon tax. He’s declared war on carbon, a basic building block of life. Al Gore and his business partner David Blood (Blood and Gore—I’m not making this up), stand to rake in a vast fortune in the process. They own carbon ‘trading’ companies designed to regulate the gas that plants love. If that isn’t enough, Gore recently came up with this howler:

“The climate movement, not least in cities, is right now in the tradition of all the great moral causes that have improved the circumstances of humanity throughout our history,” he said. “The abolition of slavery. Women’s suffrage and women’s rights. The civil rights movement and the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.”

So now climate change is a ‘movement,’ like gay rights, women’s suffrage, or the abolition of slavery. Gore has become a social justice warrior for climate change. Don’t question it! It will hurt feelings! Questioning climate change is hate speech! Everyone praise your savior, Al Gore!

What Gore will do bring back slavery by means of his onerous carbon taxes and globalist government bureaucracy. He will get fabulously richer by stealing our labor while we get poorer. Does he even believe his own climate change prattle? Apparently not. He bought himself beach front home for $9 million. Hey Al, you said the ice caps would be melted by 2014 and the coasts would be flooded, remember? Al Gore says a lot of silly things and he expects us to buy into them every time. He thinks we’re stupid.

The climate change slave train is ready to go and Al Gore is screaming “All aboard!” We need to speak out against this con man. Humiliate him. We don’t need his engineered climate change bunk. Derail him!

— Ben Garrison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my favorite thing most this recent ios update is you can put a wallpaper of the earth in rough 3d as one of the choices but they forgo even trying to have ice represented

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

my favorite thing most this recent ios update is you can put a wallpaper of the earth in rough 3d as one of the choices but they forgo even trying to have ice represented

theyre just getting ready for 2025

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homeless Friend posted:

there’s still white in that picture. ice on the move

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homeless Friend posted:

it’ll probably be something fail like a “biden mismanaged it” or some crap unfortunately

Its most assuredly cringe, like everything else in this world

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

an egg posted:

george miller's tacit confession that he dreams of being saved from mad max hell by a giant magical idris elba has endeared me to his work

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dog Case posted:

https://twitter.com/joejoezz/status/1576754743317495809

This is real neat. Today's forecast high is 66, while current conditions show that it's 72.

Tons of powdery mildew on all the leafy trees and a coating of fine dust from the dry ground that hasn't been washed off by rain and the orange smoky light that comes and goes every few days now gives everything a weird desaturated color cast that really nails the Hollywood "hot dry place" color grading look. A+ apocalypse vibes I love the rainy PNW

Just gave up and bought a full face respirator because why not. its an investment. Every year will be worse than this year for the rest of my life. Not like it wont come in handy. The air being poison for longer and longer periods of time every year will make my investment completely worth it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Love to be sweltering in the depths of summer heat in early loving October.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUl4DThSwE

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

And that summer feeling is gonna haunt you one day in your life

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

im too queer for this im ruined

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

im too queer for this im ruined

it’s originally by a guy if you need a different version

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
not a climate thread person who doesnt know that, i think. but this one is phoebe bridgers and its a huge improvement for other reasons too

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
i kid. ive liked Burnham from his YT start to now

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

not a climate thread person who doesnt know that, i think. but this one is phoebe bridgers and its a huge improvement for other reasons too

I didn’t know about the song at all until like a month ago. it’s cute :)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
thats cool yeah its cute. now when i think of burnham i remember showing my 90 yr old grandma this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHotXbGZiFY

she doesn't speak english and she thought it was hysterical. she was in tears

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

thats cool yeah its cute. now when i think of burnham i remember showing my 90 yr old grandma this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHotXbGZiFY

she doesn't speak english and she thought it was hysterical. she was in tears

I showed it to a white woman with an Instagram and she was in tears too

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Windows task bar giving me that funny feeling erry day

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
ah i didnt screenshot the flood warning from earlier. im gonna start collecting those little funny feelings

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was blasted on a 100mg gummy when I first saw Inside and the "20,000 years of this, 7 more to go" actually kinda made me cry and crackping a little lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

I was blasted on a 100mg gummy when I first saw Inside and the "20,000 years of this, 7 more to go" actually kinda made me cry and crackping a little lol

i'm not going to lie i cried several times during that special

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

god drat that’s a lot of edibles, but lol if you think we’ve got another 7 years at the rate things are going

e: trying real hard to be positive, we probably have at least 17 years to go before the biosphere dies. :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe it’ll end tomorrow. you can never be sure.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

maybe it’ll end tomorrow. you can never be sure.

no that’s too soon I’ve got plans

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

skooma512 posted:

jesus, I'm a lightweight. 20 mg would tear my head off.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fly Molo posted:

no that’s too soon I’ve got plans

well you know what they say, life collapse is what happens when you're busy making other plans

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cold on a Cob posted:

well you know what they say, life collapse is what happens when you're busy making other plans

big collapses have a life of their own

and we’re getting to watch the biggest one of all take it’s first steps. ain’t it heartwarming? :unsmith:

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
covid is over, so what it smells smokey in the morning also when i was golfing i coukldn't really see the ball for the first couple holes because it was super hazy but yuou know

could be worse

lmao

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Nothing seems to get the crime out of the air quite so well as an arfstorm

Nature... is healing.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Dog Case posted:

This is real neat. Today's forecast high is 66, while current conditions show that it's 72.

Tons of powdery mildew on all the leafy trees and a coating of fine dust from the dry ground that hasn't been washed off by rain and the orange smoky light that comes and goes every few days now gives everything a weird desaturated color cast that really nails the Hollywood "hot dry place" color grading look. A+ apocalypse vibes I love the rainy PNW

Slowly turning into Southern Oregon climate. I remember waiting for rain last year too.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pacific northwest more like pathetic no water

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
otoh i haven't had to run the furnace since early May so who's to say whether this is bad or good yet

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kater posted:

Pacific northwest more like pathetic no water

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Paradoxish posted:

It's amazing (not really!) how many things we absolutely 100% without a doubt knew were bad and dangerous 40+ years ago and we just... did them anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if I go too hard on the misanthropy but there's really just overwhelming evidence that we're very, very dumb as a species

I've been thinking about this in terms of religious thinking - fasten onto an idea and hold onto it come hell or high water because you "know" you're right. This type of thinking has hamstrung parts of biology for years, especially with the way we view competition as the ultimate driving principle of life - eat or be eaten. I think it's been mentioned in this thread that the original wolf study beloved by "dominance" dog trainers was done on captive unrelated wolves thrown together in an enclosure. You can infer as much about normal canine behaviour from that as you can about normal human relationships from studying the residents of Vancouver's Downtown East Side. Tread carefully with your generalizations.

Forestry has had the same issue the way weed species like alder are viewed. Conventionally we assume they are competitors for light and water and more valuable species will grow better on bare soil after the weed species have been cut or sprayed into oblivion.

I've always liked alder. It's basically a giant pea plant with nitrogen fixing root nodules. Fast growing and lovely wood. Grows for 60 years then falls over and gets out of the way, leaving a fast-decaying corpse for a nurse log (or excellent firewood, if you're so inclined).

I've been under the impression that the Mountain Pine beetle was a natural disaster, some pest making its way north for reasons. Two pages further into Suzanne Simard's book and I run into this. I think she was doing these studies in the late 1980s-1990s, looking at the effects of removing weed species before replanting a clearcut.

Finding the Mother Tree posted:

Eventually I would learn that these alderless pines would become so malnourished that they'd be infested with the mountain pine beetle, and most of the rest would die. Three decades later, only 10 percent of the original seedlings planted in the bare earth treatment would remain.

So it looks like we created the conditions for the Mountain Pine beetle outbreak ourselves because we're dumb and get fixated on simple ideas? Yeah, that fits.

Dog Case posted:

Modelling crisis. (Oops, wrong thread!)

It feels wrong outside. It's too hot and the sun is too bright for it to be that low on the horizon.

otoh we have yet to hit that magic 10oC nighttime temperature where certain garden plants start/stop doing growing things. Tomatoes and sweetpotatoes still growing and ripening. Still watering every day though. The rabbits and deer appreciate my efforts and are browsing my yard hard because everything else is dry and brown. I might have to switch to a carnivore diet temporarily. Can you make alien invasive bunny pemmican out of Eastern Cottontails?

:lol::lmao: Radio announcement - winter tires now required if I want to travel down island to Victoria.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

There's a giant wood pellet silo on fire in Denmark since September 22, about 56,000 tonnes worth or more, and initially they were like, "The smoke isn't dangerous, don't worry about it, keep calm and carry on", then shortly thereafter, "Oh, by the way, if you're ill or something you will probably want seal yourself hermetically in your home or get the gently caress out for at least a few weeks until this dies down, lol". Microcosm of the climate crisis.

When I googled to confirm the date of the fire I got an ad for Ukrainian wood pellets.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rabble rabble posted:

covid is over, so what it smells smokey in the morning also when i was golfing i coukldn't really see the ball for the first couple holes because it was super hazy but yuou know

could be worse

lmao

my respirator and corsi cube have been a godsend for air quality during fire season. I’m never going back even if Covid disappeared tomorrow

my allergies are gone

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fly Molo posted:

my respirator and corsi cube have been a godsend for air quality during fire season. I’m never going back even if Covid disappeared tomorrow

my allergies are gone

If things ever get better, I might downgrade to an N95, but that's about the only thing I might change.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
lake mead water level has been going up

no more doom! boats are saved

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I know Vegas has been getting some torrential downpours that did raise the lake a little. But is most of the rise from draining Lake Powell upstream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Hexigrammus posted:

Can you make alien invasive bunny pemmican out of Eastern Cottontails?

rabbits famously don't have enough fat on them to keep you alive if they're all you're eating, but it could certainly be an ingredient. probably best as stew