Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

Managed to get a copy of horizons of spirit island before it goes on sale by asking someone at target if there were any copies in the back.

Post the lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Fate Accomplice posted:

Managed to get a copy of horizons of spirit island before it goes on sale by asking someone at target if there were any copies in the back.

When’s the official release date?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Do people actually like Rising Sun because I just had a deeply unpleasant first play of it. I thought I liked it because it wasn't calvinball loki card nonsense like Blood Rage but then the game went on like an hour too long and it felt like, again, the dudes on the map part of the game was completely irrelevant beyond just picking some dumb card nonsense that upends the entire game. I genuinely want to know why I'm like the only person I know of that doesn't like these games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Post the lore

Other guy who got a copy said release date is tomorrow, and each store got 6 copies

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Glagha posted:

Do people actually like Rising Sun because I just had a deeply unpleasant first play of it. I thought I liked it because it wasn't calvinball loki card nonsense like Blood Rage but then the game went on like an hour too long and it felt like, again, the dudes on the map part of the game was completely irrelevant beyond just picking some dumb card nonsense that upends the entire game. I genuinely want to know why I'm like the only person I know of that doesn't like these games.

I like it a lot, but it’s definitely a very different game than it looks like it should be. Dudes on a Map is only a minor part of the equation but it looks like it should be the only thing that matters.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
how does it mark city/town damage?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

More like Inis Medium Box. It’s just a game and an expansion…

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I like Sprawlopolis. It's a compact clever little coop game, but it's also the kind of game which I'll play here and there (especially if travelling), but that I won't go out of my way to play or ask to play.

While Agro and Naturopolis would give a lot of extra variability to the game, I don't feel like it would actually increase the playability/replayability for me. Lack of objectives/replay value was never an issue for Sprawlopolis for me, so more variability isn't even needed. That's why I skipped on both. They might be nice, but they won't get me to play the game more.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finally tried Valley of the Kings. I appreciated the commitment to Egypt. Seems like it would be a great game for people who are either insensitive to market row vs. fixed market, or who prefer the former, but that's not me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Valley of the Kings is excellent. Far and away my most played game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fate Accomplice posted:

Targets around me are all out of stock. I placed an order that had one super early this morning, but then they sent me a "whoopsie, we're all out, sorry!" message. I just ordered it for delivery instead, because I don't want to go to Target and harass employees to see if they just haven't unpacked it yet and that's why it's out of stock.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sprawlopolis is good, no idea about Agropolis.

I've played both, Agro is really good and way harder. Its main new mechanic is that parks are replaced with livestock spaces, and those spaces have one of a few different animals. That makes for some tough goals, but they're really fun. The animals are hard to see on the cards tho Lol.

Definitely play Sprawl first, Agro is really for people who have just played the first one to death.

I've played the combo expansion, it's cool in concept but I couldn't really get into it. It loses the quick pace that makes me like Sprawlopolis in the first place.

The expansion that does make the game more fun is Beaches, which puts three cards in your deck that force you to put a limit on the size of your city as well as a new goal to make up for the limit. Forces you to change things up a lot, it's really cool.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Targets around me are all out of stock. I placed an order that had one super early this morning, but then they sent me a "whoopsie, we're all out, sorry!" message. I just ordered it for delivery instead, because I don't want to go to Target and harass employees to see if they just haven't unpacked it yet and that's why it's out of stock.

Yeah, I didn’t know how it would go, but when I asked an associate he whipped out a stock checker, typed in the name, and said “follow me.”

I’d forgotten about the release entirely until someone came into a meetup at the FLGS a few stores down carrying it.

Gonna play tonight with someone I just introduced to SI a couple weeks ago, excited about the new spirit synergy

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm starting to think spirit island is really well balanced because every time we crank the challenge we start out thinking we're screwed but we usually barely eke out a win in the end whether the randomized cards helped or not. Our trio is Forbidden Wilds, Rampant Green or River (I'm the one who can't stick to one spirit) and Thunderspeaker so no lack of power there I have to admit.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Played a bunch of boardgames today, which was goood, seeing as I haven't had many chances this year, it seems like. We played Cryptid (which was great btw, so thanks to those who recommended it a while back) a few times and I thought we must've gotten something wrong the first time we played, but we didn't - since my guess on round one happened to be exactly where the cryptid was, so I won immediately hahaha :D
We all found it pretty hilarious, naturally - and I had to triple-check to make sure we didn't forget something. Good fun though! Very cool and interesting mechanics.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Is there somewhere a list recommendations of what to get/try at Spiel Essen this year? I plan to attend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Major Isoor posted:

Played a bunch of boardgames today, which was goood, seeing as I haven't had many chances this year, it seems like. We played Cryptid (which was great btw, so thanks to those who recommended it a while back) a few times and I thought we must've gotten something wrong the first time we played, but we didn't - since my guess on round one happened to be exactly where the cryptid was, so I won immediately hahaha :D
We all found it pretty hilarious, naturally - and I had to triple-check to make sure we didn't forget something. Good fun though! Very cool and interesting mechanics.

Probably not, and that's one of the two problems with Cryptid: that if players make certain overlaps in their initial clue placement, it's possible to guess the location on turn 1. The other is that if one single person doesn't quite understand or misreads their instructions, they can make it possible for the Cryptid to be in many locations or none at all. I liked it enough to buy it, but it didn't last for me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedit posted:

Probably not, and that's one of the two problems with Cryptid: that if players make certain overlaps in their initial clue placement, it's possible to guess the location on turn 1. The other is that if one single person doesn't quite understand or misreads their instructions, they can make it possible for the Cryptid to be in many locations or none at all. I liked it enough to buy it, but it didn't last for me.

Yeah, I guess so - the hint can easily be misinterpreted partway in to block off the spot that the cryptid's in accidentally, seems like.
However, I was using the app - which is pretty handy. Not sure if you have too, but when you use that to set up the game, you can get it to reveal the one spot it's in, so you can be certain it's 100% The Spot

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do we have a Root thread? Been playing two-player with a friend for lack of friends who are free at the time. Been trying Cats vs Lord of the Hundreds (as the Marauder expansion suggests) and it has been an insanely one-sided stomp in the Rats favor 3 times in a row. Swapped sides between plays, and we can't get a grip of how it's supposed to be balanced at 2p.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Give the cats an extra action IMO

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PJOmega posted:

we can't get a grip of how it's supposed to be balanced at 2p.

It's not. Maybe a 2p match with the new factions (that was touted as a design goal), but old ones definitely not. Cats almost want someone in their business clearing out their buildings to rebuild, and in a 2p match that's not going happen enough.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

2 Player Root is more for a one time learning game since there is not a ton of meaningful interaction that goes on if you're both not playing as the big military factions like Cats/Eyrie/Moles. 2 player games work better if you have the AI take over as one of the big board presences if you happen to have the Clockwork expansion since then you can just play co-op or just play a 3 player game with someone delegating for the bot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Got another escape puzzle game in the mail, some minis, and the etherfields cat mini expansion. How's everyone doing? Get any fun new games or got anything exciting on your radar?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Got another escape puzzle game in the mail, some minis, and the etherfields cat mini expansion. How's everyone doing? Get any fun new games or got anything exciting on your radar?

Tidied up the home office, a lot of which was board games I can’t properly unpack until our long-dragged out home construction project is done. But the silver lining was getting back out all the kids games. Sat down and played My First Carcassonne with my 4 year old and she grasped the rules quickly in a way that was so different from when we first played it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shame Boy posted:

2 Player Root is more for a one time learning game since there is not a ton of meaningful interaction that goes on if you're both not playing as the big military factions like Cats/Eyrie/Moles. 2 player games work better if you have the AI take over as one of the big board presences if you happen to have the Clockwork expansion since then you can just play co-op or just play a 3 player game with someone delegating for the bot.

Oh we know that 2p root is rough. We were killing time and decided to give it a try as the rulebook suggested that matchup and we figured we'd learn the Lord of Hundred rules before introducing it to our full group. The first game was such a stomp that we couldn't figure out if we were messing rules up, so we did it again being extra careful and it was still a rout. Giving the cats an extra action as suggested by Kazzah might help. The primary issue was that cats simply didn't have the action economy to reliably bust up 3+ rat garrisons on mob tokens, so the rats ended up pushing cats back into a corner where they didn't have enough space to get any of their engine up.

No hate on Leder, Root is still beloved by me and my play group. We just have no idea why they'd even suggest playing it 2p with cats and rats unless we missed something huge.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

PJOmega posted:

Oh we know that 2p root is rough. We were killing time and decided to give it a try as the rulebook suggested that matchup and we figured we'd learn the Lord of Hundred rules before introducing it to our full group. The first game was such a stomp that we couldn't figure out if we were messing rules up, so we did it again being extra careful and it was still a rout. Giving the cats an extra action as suggested by Kazzah might help. The primary issue was that cats simply didn't have the action economy to reliably bust up 3+ rat garrisons on mob tokens, so the rats ended up pushing cats back into a corner where they didn't have enough space to get any of their engine up.

No hate on Leder, Root is still beloved by me and my play group. We just have no idea why they'd even suggest playing it 2p with cats and rats unless we missed something huge.

You might want to try adding Hirelings, if you have them. They're meant to flesh out the 2p game because it can be a bit unbalanced.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

FirstAidKite posted:

I continue to buy and play games, which is very nice. These are the new additions I haven't mentioned in this thread:

Onirim (Digital) (Android) - really enjoyable little solitaire game. First app expansion is free but I haven't tried it. Someone good at board games tell me what a reasonable WR is, there's some hands/draws I think are straight up impossible. It's pretty involved in terms of keeping track of what's going on to make optimal plays so I see a lot more Railroad Ink play cause I'm typically in the mood for something mindless, relaxing, and cute.

Two from Digidiced sale ($0.99 each, down from $5, sale is still up I'm pretty sure):

Cottage Garden - pretty visually ugly in the app. Didn't finish the tutorial. Will try some other time.

Indian Summer - haven't opened this yet

And one half of an Amazon order came in:

The Crew: Quest for Planet Nine - really loving this. Played up to mission 5 with a couple friends who also got into it pretty quickly. Seems like a really excellent game for getting people who don't play board/card games to the table. Bonus: fits well enough in my tote bag

Still waiting on Warp's Edge which should get here this week. Snagged it for 50% off which I'm pretty hype about cause the deal disappeared quickly and lots of people missed out on it.

Heading to my 2nd Board Game Night tonight!

Now looking forward to the Target B2G1 Board Games sale (10/6 to 10/8). Nothing keeps you from buying three copies and returning two for a quick 33% off. Gonna have a friend get Horizons of Spirit Island for $20 while I pick up Under falling Skies for about $18. Then I'll hopefully stop spending money for a little while.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I just got John Company 2nd edition, and watched one of the heavy cardboard videos (the one with Cole). I have no idea when I'm going to get to play this thing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Someone in my group just got John Company. He's poo poo at explaining games, is there a good rules video?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

El Fideo posted:

Someone in my group just got John Company. He's poo poo at explaining games, is there a good rules video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkf2VgefzDs

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
After SHUX ended I went to the local board game store in Vancouver and came away with Burgle Bors 2, Under Falling Skies, Monikers, and a few CYOA graphic novel RPG things.

Important question, as I've recently moved and am taking the opportunity to reorganize my Kallax (gently caress me I've got too many game swhy did I buy more shiiiit): when putting your board games on the shelf, so you orient them so that 'up' is to the left or right? That is, do you cock your head to the left or to the right to read the labels?

Those who stack their games on top of each other need not answer - you are beyond god's sight and therefore his love

Edit: also after playing Calico, I want more games with solo modes to have the sort of scenario/achievement list that game has. I could see myself busting it out frequently to try to check off the various challenges and such

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spiel goons - anyone interested in meeting up at any point, drop me a PM. I'll be in Essen from tomorrow evening, but I'm busy Saturday night and Sunday until about 8pm.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

got anything exciting on your radar?

Culling games or buying Kallax to put on top of my Kallax. Can’t decide…. Also new Spirit Island!!!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

FirstAidKite posted:

I got Spirit Island and Branch and Claw. I haven't had a chance to really crack it open yet, let alone play it, but I am excited to give it a go sometime soon. Maybe the weekend will be a good opportunity.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

While that is presented as a second edition teach, the assets don't match the second edition so there are going to be a few differences. There are two videos linked under the review section of boardgamegeek that are full playthroughs done by heavy cardboard. One has an up-front teach given by Cole, and the other one has a running teach.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Morpheus posted:

Important question, as I've recently moved and am taking the opportunity to reorganize my Kallax (gently caress me I've got too many game swhy did I buy more shiiiit): when putting your board games on the shelf, so you orient them so that 'up' is to the left or right? That is, do you cock your head to the left or to the right to read the labels?

Right. Usually that hides the UPC, but not on Strike. :smith:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Heading to my 2nd Board Game Night tonight!

We played Betrayal at House on the Hill. I ended up as the traitor, Number 61, Captain Sting's Revenge.

Unfortunately we fully played started too late and played too slow (half the group, including myself, were new to the game) to actually finish. Regardless I really enjoyed it - I've never played another game in the same style so it was really fresh and exciting!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We played Betrayal at House on the Hill. I ended up as the traitor, Number 61, Captain Sting's Revenge.

Unfortunately we fully played started too late and played too slow (half the group, including myself, were new to the game) to actually finish. Regardless I really enjoyed it - I've never played another game in the same style so it was really fresh and exciting!

Ah yeah, Betrayal isn't too bad, depending on the scenario! From memory it's not very well-liked in here, seeing as sometimes when you play it'll be apparent that it's totally unwinnable for one side or the other, as soon as the haunt begins. But I've played it a bunch over the years and have had fun with it, so it's good to hear people are still getting mileage out of it.
I still want to play the treasure hunt haunt someday, since it seems cool (it's the last possibility in the list, from memory. Don't know much else though, other than it's a free-for-all)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The table was pretty sure that we (I played on a team of 2) (traitor) couldn't be beat, which we agreed with... but we didn't play it out so who knows. The atmosphere is great and everyone got really invested, whole table had fun even thinking they couldn't win I think. I'd definitely play again but right now I'm of the mind to try as many different games as I can manage and not in the mood to sink another 2.5 hrs into it for some time, finish or not. Not the game's fault there though.

The other two tables were playing Anno 1800, which looked really dry so I opted out, and Root which I didn't get invited to cause it had started 30 minutes before I arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, you can definitely have good laughs with BaHotH, even if it's 100% an uphill struggle, with a lot of scenarios. Some are pretty great and are fondly remembered by my group, like the Jumanji-style scenario. There are of course some 'meh' ones in the mix too, but I feel that we got pretty good mileage out of the game