Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else still not being offered the 22H2 update? It's been 10 days. It would be nice to be able to install an update when it's actually released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I haven't either. Couple days ago it said it was available to download and install and then it failed to even download. I think they are delaying the rollout until they can iron out some kinks, from what I hear. People have been having some issues with stuttering on the desktop and reduced performance while gaming.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

barnold posted:

how does the Win11 thread manage to attract so many goons who evidently have not used windows since ME lol registry files?? come on

I think the long and short of it is that you learn stuff once and then never have it challenged. Like why would someone that learned registry files were a problem back in the ME/XP days think differently if they haven't gone and done the research? And who has time to research every assumption they've ever learned?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

redeyes posted:

It's not 'THE REGISTRY!!11' that is the issue. It's stupid loving programs setting poo poo wrong in said file. It doesn't have a mind of its own you know.

the registry has hives. HIVES. You can't trust it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

carry on then posted:

Anyone else still not being offered the 22H2 update? It's been 10 days. It would be nice to be able to install an update when it's actually released.

It's a staged rollout like every "major' release in the past 7 years. Easy to manually update if you use the Media Creation Tool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doctorfrog posted:

the registry has hives. HIVES. You can't trust it.

But they're a good band!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I HATE the new task manager in 22H2. I have to decipher the loving hieroglyphic icons instead of reading WORDS. ARRG

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
GET
ON
MY
LEVEL

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dick Trauma posted:

GET
ON
MY
LEVEL

I love how if you didn't notice the 2000/XP in one corner it would look exactly like a box of household cleaner.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's a staged rollout like every "major' release in the past 7 years. Easy to manually update if you use the Media Creation Tool.

A complete clean install doesn’t sound very easy to me compared to just having an update downloaded and applied.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

carry on then posted:

A complete clean install doesn’t sound very easy to me compared to just having an update downloaded and applied.

They didn't say it was easier. Just that it was easy. It's also not a clean install.

Microsoft staggers updates for all sorts of reasons. Google does the same thing with Android. Either wait, or do what was recommended if it's important to you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

carry on then posted:

You can use the MCT to do the update without reinstall, it's the exact same effect but a different front-end. Just double-click it and instead of making install media say "in-place upgrade".

Falcon2001 posted:

I think the long and short of it is that you learn stuff once and then never have it challenged. Like why would someone that learned registry files were a problem back in the ME/XP days think differently if they haven't gone and done the research? And who has time to research every assumption they've ever learned?

Read "registry files" as a handwave for "whatever poo poo is making my install hosed up".

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Internet Explorer posted:

They didn't say it was easier. Just that it was easy. It's also not a clean install.

Microsoft staggers updates for all sorts of reasons. Google does the same thing with Android. Either wait, or do what was recommended if it's important to you.

Yeah, iOS does it, too. If you just automatically install the update it could take a week or so…or it may do it five minutes after it comes out. I have my iPad/iPhoneAppleTV all set to auto-update, but none ever get a chance because I force the update as soon as I see it. Win10/11 are the same for me as well.

Ninja edit:
My desktop hasn’t updated yet, either. I check Update in Settings once a day, but it’s still not “presented” as an option for me yet. I’ll force update when it’s ready, but not to the point of an “In Place Upgrade” download/install.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 2, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, iOS does it, too. If you just automatically install the update it could take a week or so…or it may do it five minutes after it comes out. I have my iPad/iPhoneAppleTV all set to auto-update, but none ever get a chance because I force the update as soon as I see it. Win10/11 are the same for me as well.

Ninja edit:
My desktop hasn’t updated yet, either. I check Update in Settings once a day, but it’s still not “presented” as an option for me yet. I’ll force update when it’s ready, but not to the point of an “In Place Upgrade” download/install.

That's exactly my point. On iOS/macOS/tvOS/watchOS release day, I can go directly into settings and get the update. No waiting until my "group" is arbitrarily selected to receive it. No creating a USB installer, etc. It's not staggered like this, where Windows Update just lies and tells me there's no updates until some unknown point in the future.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

carry on then posted:

That's exactly my point. On iOS/macOS/tvOS/watchOS release day, I can go directly into settings and get the update. No waiting until my "group" is arbitrarily selected to receive it. No creating a USB installer, etc. It's not staggered like this, where Windows Update just lies and tells me there's no updates until some unknown point in the future.

You're comparing a walled garden to a heterogenous ecosystem - you're only pushing updates to a few known hardware configurations. With Windows and Android you are pushing updates to a whole slew of hardware configurations. Doing them in batches, even if they are just arbitrary in nature, allows more time for weird glitches to be discovered before the rollout is completely done.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

carry on then posted:

That's exactly my point. On iOS/macOS/tvOS/watchOS release day, I can go directly into settings and get the update. No waiting until my "group" is arbitrarily selected to receive it.

Yes. Limited hardware so they only need to test a handful of possible configurations makes the process of rolling out updates vastly easier. MS has to parcel out updates in groups because if something is hosed up -- some random ancient device drivers that now cause bluescreens -- they can't catch it in advance.

Buy a MS surface laptop and you'll probably be on the first group of PCs to receive the update.

carry on then posted:

No creating a USB installer, etc.

You don't have to create a USB installer. Download the Media Creation Tool. Run it. Instead of selecting "Create  installation media for another PC", select "Upgrade this PC now".

Listen before you gripe.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got 22H2 today and Edge has started to stutter when loading things like imgur homepage and Terraria is crashing on me, giving an error relating to kernelbase.dll. Tried replacing that with the old copy from windows.old but, being a \system32 file its obviously locked down. Too lazy and hungover for this today

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently, my school's email stopped working with traditional IMAP/POP3 (it's hosted on Office 365), so I've had to ditch BlueMail, which I'd been using for a year or so. I'm trying the built-in mail and calendar apps again, and they've been working fine for the couple days I've had them set up. One weird thing I've noticed is the little 5-dots progress indicator between the search box and "Inbox" is always going. Is this just ...what Mail does?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If they're on 365, you're honestly better off just using the webmail.

Unless the mail app has changed dramatically between 10 and 11, it's trash.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AlexDeGruven posted:

If they're on 365, you're honestly better off just using the webmail.

Unless the mail app has changed dramatically between 10 and 11, it's trash.

In what way(s)? It seems totally serviceable. And it's not like I use the school email address much anymore anyway. It's just nice to have a way to automatically check it so I don't have to remember every month or whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hooah posted:

In what way(s)? It seems totally serviceable. And it's not like I use the school email address much anymore anyway. It's just nice to have a way to automatically check it so I don't have to remember every month or whatever.

It’s slow and fucks up formatting really badly on lots of emails. For a while it would pretend some emails didn’t have attachments when they actually did, which made things really awkward for my master’s classes until I figured out what was happening.

I’m trying out Em Client but the UI is pretty rough and has some readability issues so I may just go back to Mail.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s slow and fucks up formatting really badly on lots of emails. For a while it would pretend some emails didn’t have attachments when they actually did, which made things really awkward for my master’s classes until I figured out what was happening.

I’m trying out Em Client but the UI is pretty rough and has some readability issues so I may just go back to Mail.

Ohhh, yeah, I ran into the attachment thing at some point (or maybe my wife did). Glad that seems to have been sorted out. Haven't noticed much in the way of formatting problems aside from the Atlantic's weekday newsletter running off the side of the window a bit, but I haven't been using it much yet. I also tried tried eM Client for a while. Can't remember why I left it - maybe it kept nagging me about having it installed on two computers without purchasing a license?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hooah posted:

In what way(s)? It seems totally serviceable.

It's discontinued, and has been for years. It's being replaced by outlook.com webapp.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only use I see for an email client nowadays is if I want to have local storage of messages and archives for some reason, which I did to archive my university email account before losing access to it after graduating. Otherwise I've just relied on webmail for years and years now.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The Outlook desktop client is really good.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
and costs moneys

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

No, it's really not. The one thing I miss from having to use the Outlook client at work was being able to set the default reminder on calendar events to be "no reminder." That's it. At this point everything else works at least the same or better in the webmail version.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--cHILkVUtw

Huh, didn't realize they had released this. I used some of the PowerApps stuff before and this is kind of neat.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BoosterDuck posted:

and costs moneys

And comes with 1TB of versioned online backup space for 7$ per month or 6x1TB for 10$ per month.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Last I checked it still doesn't work correctly with Google Calendar.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Every Windows feature update is basically a fresh install, so you get a clean install twice a year or so.

I came in to ask about my most recent update, and maybe this is the answer to my question. I downloaded and installed an update within the last week or so, and I'm surprised to find that a lot of stuff seems to have been reset, which I don't remember happening before.

I'm running Windows 11, and according to my Windows version history my most recent update was to version 22H2. Since the update, I've had to select default programs to open certain file types, websites that I've visited before are giving me the accept/reject cookies notification, iTunes and other programs have run their tutorials when I opened them, all that sort of thing. All of my programs are still installed, but it's like I've never used any of them before.

Is this typical after an update? I've been a windows user for like 20 years and I don't remember experiencing this before. I've only been running Windows 11 since a few months back, though, so maybe that's the difference. Or maybe my memory is just that bad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I forgot that there was a separate Win11 thread. This isn't actually impacting me adversely, I just found it odd.

sirbeefalot posted:

In the latest update for Windows 11, is the bar in the volume/brightness popups broken? The small sun/speaker icon changes really slightly, but not enough to really tell the difference between like 0-50-100%. Volume at least also has the number to the right. I can click and drag on the bar to adjust the level, but it is one solid color. Seems unintentional.

e; Nice. (I'm clicking on the bar)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Racing Stripe posted:

I came in to ask about my most recent update, and maybe this is the answer to my question. I downloaded and installed an update within the last week or so, and I'm surprised to find that a lot of stuff seems to have been reset, which I don't remember happening before.

I'm running Windows 11, and according to my Windows version history my most recent update was to version 22H2. Since the update, I've had to select default programs to open certain file types, websites that I've visited before are giving me the accept/reject cookies notification, iTunes and other programs have run their tutorials when I opened them, all that sort of thing. All of my programs are still installed, but it's like I've never used any of them before.

Is this typical after an update? I've been a windows user for like 20 years and I don't remember experiencing this before. I've only been running Windows 11 since a few months back, though, so maybe that's the difference. Or maybe my memory is just that bad.

No, that's not typical of an update and not supposed to happen. That sounds more like what happens when you do a Reset This PC with "keep my apps and flies".

You can look in Windows.old for a Users folder, which may have all the data that was cleaned out of your user profile. Alternately if you have a MS Account it may be weirdness there. But I don't touch those with a 10' pole so I dunno what might be up.

The way that feature updates are like a fresh install is more about the windows guts, the update rebuilds the system folder and windows components. But it's not supposed to touch the user profile.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Okay, I thought it seemed weird. It's not a problem, really. Everything seems to be working fine. I suppose it's possible that I accidentally reset the PC or clicked some other option on while I was installing the update. I'll worry if it happens a second time.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

sirbeefalot posted:

I forgot that there was a separate Win11 thread. This isn't actually impacting me adversely, I just found it odd.

Try changing your colour scheme? Maybe its pulling an accent colour that blends in with the bar. This is what mine looks like:

EDIT - Tested it and that's exactly what its doing. Setting my accent colour to a default grey:

Makes my volume slider look like yours:

Seems dumb

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 5, 2022

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Huh, yep that's it. That particular gray just happens to match the background color.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How do I enable File Explorer tabs in 22H2?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do I enable File Explorer tabs in 22H2?

Be part of insiders program and hope to be randomly chosen to test it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MikusR posted:

Be part of insiders program and hope to be randomly chosen to test it

It's being released to the mainstream channel and some people seem to have it already though. There's stuff you can download from GitHub but it seemed a bit janky and I don't know if it's a crude hack or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The October update that’s supposed to have tabs for regular people isn’t out yet. It’s in Release Preview at the moment.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/windows-11-22h2s-october-feature-update-hits-the-release-preview-insider-channel/