Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody wants a Nobel Peace Prize for his "solution" here.

Please, Elan Mosk, stop posting.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576969255031296000

"Let's give the active loser, Russia, who committed war crimes, exactly what they want. I am a geopolitical powerhouse!" - Elon Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

CommieGIR posted:

"Let's give the active loser, Russia, who committed war crimes, exactly what they want. I am a geopolitical powerhouse!" - Elon Musk

I'm sick of him and so called "experts" acting as though we have to give Putin an off-ramp for his genocide and believe his bullshit

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody wants a Nobel Peace Prize for his "solution" here.

Please, Elan Mosk, stop posting.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576969255031296000

From the comments

https://twitter.com/brokenpixelua/status/1576976007667384323?s=20&t=xdBa9buv4seASupHFsYn3Q

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shanvav/status/1576980106731405319?s=20&t=CJ4BI_lfDgKRx8FVBGwGkA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/Techgnostik/status/1576986337097326592

First, they came for the richest man in the world and his dumbshit opinions on the war in Ukraine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zzulu posted:

I do think it's interesting from a psychological standpoint how so many people will always flock to certain famous people and start worshipping, defending and follow them. It's like in some peoples DNA to just be followers of people with higher standings

“Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees.”

haljordan posted:

What if Elon loses his case against Twitter and tells the court to eff off?

Lol so if you have $1,000 in outstanding medical debt, the hospital and debt collectors and courts will hound you until the day you die (and probably even after that) but if you sign an agreement to buy a company for a shitload of money and reneg, the courts will basically just throw up their hands and say "ah well, nothing we can do here!"

https://www.inquirer.com/business/technology/elon-musk-twitter-delaware-court-20221003.html

Other people have brought this up and there's a problem for Musk: Telsa and SpaceX are also both Delaware companies. This means they obey the laws of Delaware, and their stocks & ownership are recorded in systems that Delaware has ultimate control of.

The Delaware court, if pushed with that type of lawbreaking, could literally strip Musk of possession of however much Tesla stock and SpaceX ownership that they judge equal to what he owes. (Plus punitive damages / contempt of court)

Not that it would happen unless Musk was such a huge idiot that he was just openly defying the court. His main move will be to make his financing impossible. The US banks are obligated to give him financing, but other partners like the saudis and the crypto exchange could bail.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
lol hes doubling down
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1576994262226702336

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haljordan posted:

What if Elon loses his case against Twitter and tells the court to eff off?

Lol so if you have $1,000 in outstanding medical debt, the hospital and debt collectors and courts will hound you until the day you die (and probably even after that) but if you sign an agreement to buy a company for a shitload of money and reneg, the courts will basically just throw up their hands and say "ah well, nothing we can do here!"

https://www.inquirer.com/business/technology/elon-musk-twitter-delaware-court-20221003.html

They can seize any of his assets in the state of Delaware, and seriously threaten his control of any companies in Delaware's jurisdiction. Which, because Delaware is the most popular corporate HQ in America, means that a large chunk of what he owns could be seized by the courts.

They won't do it unless they really have to. But much of corporate America is subject to Delaware law and Delaware courts, so the state has a strong vested interest in enforcing contracts between businesses.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what does he think about the people of texas deciding if they're part of the USA or not?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Main Paineframe posted:

They can seize any of his assets in the state of Delaware, and seriously threaten his control of any companies in Delaware's jurisdiction. Which, because Delaware is the most popular corporate HQ in America, means that a large chunk of what he owns could be seized by the courts.

They won't do it unless they really have to. But much of corporate America is subject to Delaware law and Delaware courts, so the state has a strong vested interest in enforcing contracts between businesses.

This is my own totally uninformed opinion but I feel like it's much more likely that the court orders him to pay a larger walk-away penalty rather than force the sale

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon fishing for a Nobel Peace Prize in the same way Donald Trump is

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I like how the "gently caress off" reply from the Ukrainian diplomat has nearly 57k likes, ratio-ing the OP into the sun . It is my sincere wish that Elon keeps making tankie posts and gets the global community to finally realize how much a loving con-artist piece of poo poo he really is.

https://twitter.com/texhood/status/1576991827861082112
Elon stans are so drat stupid. Why would it ever be worthwhile? Because he has money? Because he is famous? Because he is the Ambien-addicted frontman of a couple companies?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haljordan posted:

This is my own totally uninformed opinion but I feel like it's much more likely that the court orders him to pay a larger walk-away penalty rather than force the sale

Twitter is pushing hard to argue that specific performance is the only reasonable penalty, and that no amount of payoff can compensate for the lasting damage Elon has already done to the company.

Given how hard he's worked at ruining Twitter, I think they've probably got a case for it. Especially since the case is being heard by a judge that has actually ordered specific performance before in a case like this.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I would die laughing if the sale was ordered to proceed and Elon had to sell off controlling interest in Tesla to come up with the financing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CommieGIR posted:

That's the kind of analytic insight you get with a Master's Degree from Trump Diplomacy University, LLC

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Main Paineframe posted:

Twitter is pushing hard to argue that specific performance is the only reasonable penalty, and that no amount of payoff can compensate for the lasting damage Elon has already done to the company.

Given how hard he's worked at ruining Twitter, I think they've probably got a case for it. Especially since the case is being heard by a judge that has actually ordered specific performance before in a case like this.

A lawyer will say "specific performance is the only remedy" to the court but that doesn't mean they won't agree to a settlement, it just means they want the best possible settlement for their client.

I'm just parroting Matt Levine here, but a thing that may happen is the judge will drop some large hints that she's inclined to order specific performance to Musk as a way of saying "reach a settlement, idiot".

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

lasting damage remains to be seen, but so far elon has inadvertently helped twitter enormously, or at least the shareholders. their stock would be much lower right now without the potential buyout looming. it has preserved the value of their company while the rest of the market has fallen by 20-25% this year. meanwhile twitter's share price is higher now than it was in march just before the elon stuff kicked off, despite lackluster performance.

this has given the company and the shareholders a huge amount of breathing room to hedge their bets and gracefully prepare for the inevitable stock collapse after the resolution of the court case (regardless of who wins). you don't see this kind of life preserver often in the markets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

That's the kind of analytic insight you get with a Master's Degree from Trump Diplomacy University, LLC

From the guy who says he supports Republicans because they are the "Middle Ground" of politics.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

lasting damage remains to be seen, but so far elon has inadvertently helped twitter enormously, or at least the shareholders. their stock would be much lower right now without the potential buyout looming. it has preserved the value of their company while the rest of the market has fallen by 20-25% this year. meanwhile twitter's share price is higher now than it was in march just before the elon stuff kicked off, despite lackluster performance.

this has given the company and the shareholders a huge amount of breathing room to hedge their bets and gracefully prepare for the inevitable stock collapse after the resolution of the court case (regardless of who wins). you don't see this kind of life preserver often in the markets.

Yeah if you're a major Twitter shareholder you are ABSOLUTELY praying to whatever god you believe in (money, probably) that the deal goes through

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

Musk is definitely doing lasting damage to Twitter as a business. If the deal falls through, though, the share price won't be propped up by the prospect of a Musk purchase anymore, and it'll absolutely crater.

The reputational damage alone is hefty. He's actively accusing them of intentionally cooking their books to fraudulently mislead their customers and shareholders, and has been keeping those claims and accusations in the media for months. Moreover, he's actively digging for more info in court, seeking to use discovery to air stuff that might make Twitter look bad. On top of that, he's allied with a whistleblower accusing Twitter of all kinds of security flaws and general mismanagement. And let's not forget that he's also gotten friendly politicians in Texas to open an official government investigation of Twitter's bot numbers in hopes of finding grounds for a deceptive trade practices lawsuit against Twitter.

Internally, Twitter is having plenty of problems too. The terms of the sale deal keep Twitter from making any meaningful changes, so they're stuck in a holding pattern while this all gets hashed out in court. Add in the fact that the potential new CEO is a dumbass who wants to end remote work and do massive layoffs, and it's no surprise that Twitter has seen a noticeable increase in staff attrition.

And of course there's the elephant in the room: whether Musk might seek to create a Twitter competitor or get involved with, now that he's seen all their private data. Twitter's actively seeking evidence of this in their discovery.

Musk has created tons of problems for Twitter, and they would very much prefer for him to be the one who ends up saddled with those problems.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

what does he think about the people of texas deciding if they're part of the USA or not?

whichever one upsets people more because he's a habitual Reddit-Intellectual Contrarian archetype who's perpetually starved for attention

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Zelenskyy's people taking a few moments out of directing the war to dunk on Elon.

https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/1577006943499350016

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Even Russian officials are dunking on Musk for how stupid his take is:

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1577032704327286784

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

So how does this affect his Starlink stuff he set up for Ukraine after the invasion began, and will Musk fans still cite it as his good deed that nullifies all this dumb poo poo?

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 4, 2022

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Euh ok

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1577077410863775744

I thought the US coverment paid for it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If I'm being cynical and speculative: that $80m could be the profits they would have made selling the same service.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

That middle guy has the worst pokerface of the lot

That's Ardej Karpathy. Lead of the machine vision team. Who has since left his position at Tesla. You'd think that any ambitious engineer would want to stay if they thought they were on track to achieve a breakthrough.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lol at elon boasting about spending $80 million on Ukraine when he has that $44 billion twitter purchase pending. Imagine if he actually spent that money on something useful like humanitarian aid instead of buying loving twitter.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

Lol at elon boasting about spending $80 million on Ukraine when he has that $44 billion twitter purchase pending. Imagine if he actually spent that money on something useful like humanitarian aid instead of buying loving twitter.

Space x spend that money not elog

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yes but he's using that as an argument on why he personally supports Ukraine even though that's pocket money to him.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It's like the guy who makes a big show of buying his buddies drinks therefore he's not an rear end in a top hat for insulting them for the rest of the night.

Edit; ahh, the classic "I'm not pro-Russian, I just think Russia should get what they want and be rewarded for invading another nation."

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 4, 2022

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Internet Old One posted:

If you want to know how smart Elon is. He’s smart enough to get a BA in physics but not smart enough to take upper division classes and get a BS.

Respectable but you’ll find smarter people all over the place.

Very true, but maybe he wanted to make a lot of money instead? Very few people are smart enough to get a BA in physics and also become successful businessmen and CEOs of large companies, or make them profitable. Just look at all the science nerds who work for NASA or CERN, for example. Smart in physics to be sure and many high level PhDs.

Steve Wozniak is a good example of that type of engineer. Very sharp guy who never finished college but designed most of the first two Apple computers released publicly, the Apple I and Apple II. He designed everything from the circuits and their layouts on the motherboards to the drivers built into the hardware cards used to connect peripherals, like for the original ImageWriter printer. He can also write code in assembler and wrote the original Apple BASIC programming language for those computers. Not sure how many people alive today could do all that, but it ain't many, and I know I'm forgetting many others. Dude's an engineering genius.

Very nice guy too, gave away lots of his Apple stock to other early Apple employees who had far fewer shares. But his large investments in business ventures have never panned out and some lost huge amounts of his fortune. Like the US Festivals in the mid 1980's. Been involved in philanthropy for many years.

Steve Jobs, on the other hand, well, not so nice of a guy, a good engineer and designer, genius social engineer. Clearly money and status were very important to him, so much so he ripped off Wozniak once by not telling him about bonus money they got from Atari for work on one of its games, before they founded Apple Computer. Could also be very charming in person when he needed or wanted to be.

I can link that poo poo if y'all want me to, or you can look those facts up on your own. The choices are yours.

Now whether Elon is really a human or not is still up for debate. Also, his name being an anagram for "Lone Skum" is kind of odd, eh? Other funny ones can be made too.

What does it all mean? Maybe only Elon knows for sure.

:effort:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anton Chigurh posted:

Very true, but maybe he wanted to make a lot of money instead? Very few people are smart enough to get a BA in physics and also become successful businessmen and CEOs of large companies, or make them profitable. Just look at all the science nerds who work for NASA or CERN, for example. Smart in physics to be sure and many high level PhDs.

Steve Wozniak is a good example of that type of engineer. Very sharp guy who never finished college but designed most of the first two Apple computers released publicly, the Apple I and Apple II. He designed everything from the circuits and their layouts on the motherboards to the drivers built into the hardware cards used to connect peripherals, like for the original ImageWriter printer. He can also write code in assembler and wrote the original Apple BASIC programming language for those computers. Not sure how many people alive today could do all that, but it ain't many, and I know I'm forgetting many others. Dude's an engineering genius.

Very nice guy too, gave away lots of his Apple stock to other early Apple employees who had far fewer shares. But his large investments in business ventures have never panned out and some lost huge amounts of his fortune. Like the US Festivals in the mid 1980's. Been involved in philanthropy for many years.

Steve Jobs, on the other hand, well, not so nice of a guy, a good engineer and designer, genius social engineer. Clearly money and status were very important to him, so much so he ripped off Wozniak once by not telling him about bonus money they got from Atari for work on one of its games, before they founded Apple Computer. Could also be very charming in person when he needed or wanted to be.

I can link that poo poo if y'all want me to, or you can look those facts up on your own. The choices are yours.

Now whether Elon is really a human or not is still up for debate. Also, his name being an anagram for "Lone Skum" is kind of odd, eh? Other funny ones can be made too.

What does it all mean? Maybe only Elon knows for sure.

:effort:

It helped Jobs that he was a salesman that new how to con the very people that helped him build the company. So many of the people like Jobs and Elon are sociopathic assholes that only know how to look out for themselves.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anton Chigurh posted:

You need to re-examine the idea that the difference between the average successful business owner and the mega-rich gazillionaire is that the gazillionaire is smarter.

They're smart enough to run a successful business. Ok, that's not nothing. Lots of people are dumb as hell and can't even do that. But the ones who go from successful to gazillionaire are about luck, contingency, and external factors that have nothing to do with the smarts of the guy in charge. X.com wasn't the only online bank & payments company in 2000. There weren't many of them, but there were others. They happened to merge into Paypal and Paypal happened to be the internet payment company that took off instead of Flooz or Beenz.

(Also a BA in Physics is not a particularly huge accomplishment, it's being a college graduate. A BA is what you get when you duck out on all the advanced classes. The accomplishment is that he got a econ degree from Wharton at the same time.)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Jobs also treated his kids like garbage but at least he didn't hook up with employees to and surrogates to keep pumping them out only to completely neglect them

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/popehat/status/1577299373935190017?s=46&t=lMBZoFgRbZ6Yh6M_WihPTw

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Pre-covid Woz would frequent one of my favorite restaurants. It was always fun to see him. He seems like a chill dude.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sticksy posted:

Jobs also treated his kids like garbage but at least he didn't hook up with employees to and surrogates to keep pumping them out only to completely neglect them

That we know of. He was an absolute rear end in the office.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Klyith posted:

(Also a BA in Physics is not a particularly huge accomplishment, it's being a college graduate. A BA is what you get when you duck out on all the advanced classes. The accomplishment is that he got a econ degree from Wharton at the same time.)

Oh lol, I never really thought about that. I didn't even realize a BA in physics was something you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

2nd Amendment posted:

Pre-covid Woz would frequent one of my favorite restaurants. It was always fun to see him. He seems like a chill dude.

He's meant to be. He was the tech hippie who disliked business & marketing and just wanted to build computers for other nerds to enjoy.

Dunno how much of that is, itself, marketing.