Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

a_pineapple posted:

If a car can fit in a bike lane the bike lane is too wide. Like shrink the bike lane 6 inches and make the curb juuuust high enough that it would make driving in them extremely bad for a car. Or yeah just put a single bollard at the entry/exit of the bike lane near the intersections this is not hard like how much money are DOTs spending on implementing and replacing these lovely solutions when they could just do it right in the first place SHEESH like honestly I don't even need the green paint or antyhing like that just gimme da bollards

instead of maker bike lines smaller, they seem to be making cars bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Incorrect

Send cars the wrong way down bike lanes

That way both bikes and illegal drivers are both inconvenienced

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah the childish naivety about how laws get enforced in this thread is overwhelming at times. They passed a law here that said you have to give cyclists 3 feet of space when passing and the sheriff held a press conference where he said that the law was stupid and he personally didn't like it and it's unenforceable so 10 years later there have been zero tickets written.

When you talk about how things ought to be a certain way what you're actually saying is that you're begging a bunch of right wing cops to make the world the way you think it ought to be.

hmm if it i were me i would simply move away from this lawless hellhole

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattmoves93/status/1576593420537036801

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mystes posted:

Wider bike lanes are better and too many bollards can be dangerous for cyclists so I'm not totally convinced that changing bike lanes to ensure cars definitely can't get in them is necessarily always the right solution. They really just need to make parking in bike lanes a $300 fine and driving in them that plus license suspension, and enforce it really strictly.

Of course good luck with that in places where cops do traffic enforcement.

Yeah the right solution is to collect every car and feed them into an industrial shredder

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

booked a weekend holiday in a coastal town I can catch the train to, father in-law's first question was "how will you get around once you're there???"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Are you just going to walk around like some sort of vagrant

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I started playing Cities: Skylines new DLC, Plazas and Promenades. It lets you make pedestrian only areas. It's still not that great compared to traffic mods that really let you make nearly any sort of road and pedestrian street, but it's a nice addition to the game. It's a bit funny the game handles pedestrian areas as a HUGE bonus to land value and tourism. You don't even need a park or anything. Simple residential houses on a pedestrian street without shops or attractions is tourist destination to the car brained perspective.

That's some crazy speeding down a bike lane in what looks like a slower suburban road. There isn't a good solution to this. You don't see any city slapping down bollards in the middle of a two way street to prevent drivers speeding down the wrong way. Even raising the bike lane to sidewalk level isn't a good solution because plenty of drivers using a raised sidewalk as a passing lane.

The only real solution is DESTROY ALL CARS.

drat that's neat. Now we just need some sort of crushing robot.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

This machine kills pedestrians

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cop writing a ticket to a man who was driving 60 in icy conditions and went off the road: dangerous conditions, should have known better

Cop letting off a chud whose driven an EV hummer for a year and ran over a child going 35 through a residential area: it's a tragedy, never could have been predicted, just couldn't stop in time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hitler started a car company.............. makes you think!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

perfect place to test your acceleration

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

had to verify, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds lol

https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/hummer-ev

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

perfect place to test your acceleration

these are the traffic conditions under which millions of americans test their acceleration all day every day

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That's some crazy speeding down a bike lane in what looks like a slower suburban road. There isn't a good solution to this. You don't see any city slapping down bollards in the middle of a two way street to prevent drivers speeding down the wrong way. Even raising the bike lane to sidewalk level isn't a good solution because plenty of drivers using a raised sidewalk as a passing lane.

that's not a suburb, that's the uptown area of minneapolis. it's right in what is probably the best area to live without a car, even better than downtown

for whatever it's worth, the lyn-lake neighborhood has a walk score of 96

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

that's not a suburb, that's the uptown area of minneapolis. it's right in what is probably the best area to live without a car, even better than downtown

The Taco Bell is really bringing the score up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I DEMAND 11,500 pounds of torque to travel 3/4ths of a city block. Nothing less.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I went to TILT that weird weekend in March 2020 where we all looked at each other like "are you sick?...I'm not". lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

1.79 megajoules of kinetic energy lmao. 1/2 of a kilowatt hour.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is absolutely terrifying. Also I had to watch it like 10 times to convince my brain it was actual footage and not a video game.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in my opinion its not safe to drive that fast on surface streets

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a bit of good news, the traffic calming I was hoping for on the downhill street next to me has started! they will be putting in bumpouts where the road normally widened at the I-94 bridge which should slow things down quite a bit. There's also a letter we will be sending requesting a crosswalk and a median refuge at the next street.

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

a bit of good news, the traffic calming I was hoping for on the downhill street next to me has started! they will be putting in bumpouts where the road normally widened at the I-94 bridge which should slow things down quite a bit. There's also a letter we will be sending requesting a crosswalk and a median refuge at the next street.
Cool that you've been able to make a difference and get it improved

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
loving lmao

god, just imagine the forces being applied to the roadway here. Good thing street repair is Someone Else's Problem :hmmyes:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

an actual frog posted:

loving lmao

god, just imagine the forces being applied to the roadway here. Good thing street repair is Someone Else's Problem :hmmyes:

the roads are in terrible condition, good thing I have a four and a half ton suv!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

an actual frog posted:

loving lmao

the real problem is people on bikes using the road and not having to pay gas taxes.

I've had this said to me on more than one occasion IRL. Never argued about it since I know that gas taxes are not the point

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Next 10 years of transportation gonna be hilarious

More vehicles on the road -> traffic
Heavier EVs on the road causing more damage to the road -> more road construction -> lane closures -> traffic
Higher demand for charging stations -> more EVs waiting in line for a charge -> traffic
Frustrated drivers getting aggressive and driving like poo poo because traffic is awful -> more dead pedestrians -> lane closures and emergency vehicles on the road -> traffic

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

child paster 5000

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
how much roadway capacity has been lost just from the physical size increase of the average car?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

how’s everyone feel about cars and getting into one with an old guy you don’t know?

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1577095536594788352

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

horrible corvette body, not a sting ray we are not building back anything!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duomo posted:

how much roadway capacity has been lost just from the physical size increase of the average car?

i think about this a lot

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

a_pineapple posted:

Next 10 years of transportation gonna be hilarious

More vehicles on the road -> traffic
Heavier EVs on the road causing more damage to the road -> more road construction -> lane closures -> traffic
Higher demand for charging stations -> more EVs waiting in line for a charge -> traffic
Frustrated drivers getting aggressive and driving like poo poo because traffic is awful -> more dead pedestrians -> lane closures and emergency vehicles on the road -> traffic

lol that we just let auto makers do whatever the gently caress they want so they can keep building heaver and bigger vehicles

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

duomo posted:

enough that id say roughly 25% of the cars parked in my neighborhood have two wheels on the verge. wasnt like that when i moved here ten years or so ago. could just be transplants with weird parking habits i guess

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

cowboy beepboop posted:

lol that we just let auto makers do whatever the gently caress they want so they can keep building heaver and bigger vehicles

The American government actually encourages larger cars as a matter of policy

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

duomo posted:

same q but for truck sizes because of increased population and consumption habits.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mayor Dave posted:

The American government actually encourages larger cars as a matter of policy

reminder of ways please … thanks 🙏

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mawarannahr posted:

reminder of ways please … thanks 🙏

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/05/20180515-nber.html

Basically the heavier a car is in a given footprint the lower the fuel standard requirement, it's easier to add weight than to improve fuel economy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think that's specifically referring to CAFE standards even though it doesn't mention them by name. Thanks, Obama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth