Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Machinist is fun but dang I really wish they had added this class like 5 months ago when I was still really hype about the game.
this is mostly where i am, if only because jumping back into this game just makes me feel like there are ten thousand layers of endgame systems and events and raids i have to learn and deal with again.

but, massive credit to this game, as soon as my machinist was boosted up and did my first chaos dungeon in 4 months, i immediately went "yeah this feels great" and mostly forgot about all the other bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Great to see the game still bringing new players through regular patches and events. So many of them working diligently through the quests in the sub-50 zones :3
https://i.imgur.com/BdA7v3E.mp4

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Great to see the game still bringing new players through regular patches and events. So many of them working diligently through the quests in the sub-50 zones :3
Lost Ark would like to welcome it's newest players, including:

quote:

Afpkgtg
Bwhagrzqwz
Cizngn
Drioaurqg
Hfunmikg
Kklibtk
Kssscr
Lcuaxuj
Leluwbnh
Mmbtbgxssnyixe
Ortmcace
Pakajm
Rajpbpha
Rgfkte
Rqrgyq
Rwbnabu
Sbesebawspz
Skofyknfa
Vhogkafprtgwirs
Wcxzkpjea
Xtmzmemln
Yfmtmxdijv
Yhvactlzuw
Yiuxluvqy

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 2, 2022

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I don't think I've ever seen an MMO with this many bots. They must be desperate for those Steam stats numbers.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Went with the Goon Static to clown and we managed to clear Gate 1.

I can see why people were saying you need to be dressed to the nines for gear. It's a tough fight on ilevel, mostly because not doing a ton of damage gives time for something to go wrong during normal patterns and the last two minutes of the fight get very tight. None of us had literally perfect gear and were still in the late 1400s, but we also needed a feast and to be constantly popping Nineveh in order to clear before he went berserk.

Was also a ton of fun! Definitely felt more enjoyable week one than dealing with Vykas' flunky was. We also got to try Gate 2, which sort of has the same problem: not finishing the fight fast gives more time for you to be blown off the map by an errant bomb or getting messed over by a perspective swap. The hope is if we come back in tonight with as many buffs as possible we can get to the end, but Gate 3 likely remains out of reach for this week.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

busalover posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an MMO with this many bots. They must be desperate for those Steam stats numbers.
youtube content creators caring about steam player counts has made people think it's a metric anyone else cares about

the bots are there because they can sell gold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lost Ark uses easy anti-cheat which is extremely easy to exploit and get around. It effectively doesn't prevent cheats and botting of any kind. SmileGate doesn't have any experience with stopping this stuff because no one in Korea cheats due to your account being tied to their equivalent of a social security number. So if you do get banned from a game in Korea, there is absolutely no way you can get back into that game ever again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.playlostark.com/en-gb/news/articles/end-of-2022-roadmap#ags-MediaPopup

OCTOBER
- Mystic Abyss Raid (1302+)
- Vykas Hell Mode (1460+)
- Achates Trial Guardian
- Arkpass Season 2 (featuring Halloween costumes)

NOVEMBER
- Reaper class
- Tripod Transfer System
- Balance Update incl. Hallucination
- Stronghold updates

DECEMBER
- Summoner class
- Brelshaza Legion Raid
- Caliligos Guardian Raid
- New Chaos Dungeons (South Vern)
- Hard T3 Cube/Boss Rush (1490+)
- Bracelet new item

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Halloween costumes!!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Roadmap looks awesome, getting Reaper and Summoner back to back is a nice surprise. I would have loved to see the balance patch a bit sooner but assuming these updates are all mid month it's not that far away. Right now based on event / login reward timings it looks like they will be on Oct 12 and Nov 16.

Clown this week was great, gate 3 was a massive step up from any other fight in the game and getting it down felt really good. The followup runs on alts all felt far smoother with the final one tonight only taking 2 pulls for gate 3. I'll miss the easy Argos gold/leaps but am happy to have another great raid in the rotation.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A little bit less triumphant here, my groups only managed to clear G1, although we were one Sidereal and 10 seconds away from a G2 clear. Still, with commentaries on the difficulty spike, I was worried I wouldn't even be able to clear G1 at all, and getting so close encourages me to come back and put in a good effort next week.

Things to Think About - G2 Clown Edition

- I was surprised at, how for a fight that's billed as being much more mechanic heavy than previous ones, the thing that felt like the biggest issue for both G1 and G2 was the damage race. Yes, the mechanics will screw you over, but a lot of the time that honor felt like it really belonged to the normal patterns or running out of time at the end.

- Maze is laughably easy if someone's screen-sharing, and despite that commentary on time, is probably a good place to chill and build Sidereal meter.

- Funnily enough, by the end of the run, we were of the opinion that the Sidereal of choice here is nearly always Wei rather than Inanna and Nineveh. Inanna doesn't really help enough either generally or during the Velganos mech and can kind of be a distraction in an already visual-heavy fight, and Nineveh arguably deals less damage than getting a stagger bar depleted and having your party go full burst on Kakul.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 4, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I'm going to be honest, if damage in G1/G2 is feeling like an issue you likely need to work on general play and pattern recognition. Even on ilvl with a basic 4x3 setup you should easily be able to beat the enrage with minutes to spare. I am going to guess you're either getting a lot of people clowned or are not confident about dodging and don't get very good uptime.

Clown is a super hectic fight but is has a lot of great dps opportunities, especially if you learn the tells for the counters.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

I'm going to be honest, if damage in G1/G2 is feeling like an issue you likely need to work on general play and pattern recognition. Even on ilvl with a basic 4x3 setup you should easily be able to beat the enrage with minutes to spare. I am going to guess you're either getting a lot of people clowned or are not confident about dodging and don't get very good uptime.

Clown is a super hectic fight but is has a lot of great dps opportunities, especially if you learn the tells for the counters.
I tried to pug on tuesday night on my alt zerker after clearing all 3 gates earlier in the week on other characters. At 1482.5 I did >50% group damage on g1 & g2. We still managed to make it to bingo twice in the first 40 minutes of attempts on g3, but they weren't successful attempts because people kept dying before bingo incl. the support. In my other groups, we beat bingo the 2nd time we got it on prog & in my bard pug group I solod it the first time we got it because bard is broken at bingo.

This was a group where at least 3/4 had cleared at least once if not 2-3 times that week on other characters. Some people do no damage.

Overall, clown is not bad, but g3 is brutal depending on class and group comp. Ranged is ridiculously overpowered in g3 clown. So are burst classes. He spends like half the fight swinging from the rafters invulnerable which is pretty poor encounter design. Then as melee, especially close range melee, there's all kinds of hoops you have to jump through to properly do mechanics ranged can stand still for and do completely safely whenever they want. It harms uptime and damage output a lot.

No particular mechanic in g3 is difficult or particularly damaging. Most of the difficulty comes from trying to get good uptime/damage windows, handling overlapping mechanics, and managing overlapping priorities.

I did g3 prog in an all melee group where my zerker had the largest range by far. Doing it in a group with a sorc+gunslinger+x+bard on ilvl was a complete joke in comparison.

People doing reclears are already discriminating hard against melee for invites, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 6, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, when you're still learning g3 and dps is tighter melee feels so bad compared to ranged. One of our alt groups was triple melee where thankfully at least my Soulfist has a couple attacks that can kill the dumb orbs from ranged. I really feel like the orbs should have a longer downtime between putting that aura up, getting in to kill it as melee without taking a bunch of meter is super annoying.

Khorne posted:

Some people do no damage.

God this is so true. It's not even based on level or engravings or build or class, there's just so many extremely bad players.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cinara posted:

Yea, when you're still learning g3 and dps is tighter melee feels so bad compared to ranged. One of our alt groups was triple melee where thankfully at least my Soulfist has a couple attacks that can kill the dumb orbs from ranged. I really feel like the orbs should have a longer downtime between putting that aura up, getting in to kill it as melee without taking a bunch of meter is super annoying.
The real annoying part is when they spawn off screen from the boss but need to be killed. Then you can't dps and wait for the window to kill them. It's unbelievably annoying.

Or, when you're about to get iron maiden and he spawns them & you need to clear them -- if you time it wrong you'll gain full meter during the phase transition.

Zerker has it somewhat good because you can sword storm them without gaining meter, you can maybe strike wave them depending on gear/if you crit (don't recommend), and you can use almost any of your other abilities to kill them during the downtime.

Zerker can also ignore the aura mechanic where people need to reduce their hp.

We didn't find the dps checks tight, but in the ranged group we would get him 10+ bars lower by first mario despite being 25+ ilvls, 2-4 weapon hones, 1-2 tripod levels, and 2-4 gem levels lower. In general, we could force phase transitions very quickly and had to deliberately not do damage if someone messed up. In the melee group, we had to deal with far more mechanics.

It's probably a good idea to bring at least one ranged to trivialize certain things. I suspect pugs will try to prioritize 2 ranged for a while.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 6, 2022

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea 100%, I would make sure your group has at least 1 ranged dps that is good at killing them. Arti is a bit awkward if you're the spec version, you have to burn your long CD nukes on them cause everything else doesn't do enough damage. Reflux sorc, Gunslinger and Sharpshooter are all amazing at it though, tons of things to pick from. Glaivier was actually quite good also, you have two things in red stance that can kill them from range, and RDH can get two at once if you line them up.

I spent a lot of my thunderbolts on my GL during our prog killing those orbs, it sucked.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
im finally getting started on The Tower and my question is: any advice for a glavier on that one level that's all archers?? i think its pretty early, like level 15 or 20 or something?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If it's the one I'm thinking about, there's a giant mob in the center that's an alarm. If you hit it, it causes all the archers to instantly aggro you and you'll pretty much just die immediately. The way to beat it is to ignore the center mob and clean up the archers in a circle first being careful to not accidentally hit the alarm mob.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking about, there's a giant mob in the center that's an alarm. If you hit it, it causes all the archers to instantly aggro you and you'll pretty much just die immediately. The way to beat it is to ignore the center mob and clean up the archers in a circle first being careful to not accidentally hit the alarm mob.

aha! thank you

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://forums.playlostark.com/t/lost-ark-weekly-update-october-12th-12-am-pt-7-am-utc-9-am-cest/473355

New Ark Pass tomorrow, plus another 14 day login event so hard to say when they are planning the major Oct patch but it's looking like it might be late in the month. Pretty unfortunate if it's the last week and the Nov patch is also the last week of Nov. They are still saying they want to have Summoner out before the holidays in Dec, though how much before is the bigger mystery. Having the Brel patch be the 21st would be lovely for everyone traveling that week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The big updates each month have been near the end of the month. The last week.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, was mostly just hoping the patches were going to be earlier based on the login event ending today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is fair! They have sometimes given a small period of no event activity in between.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I(foolishly) got started on this game, just hitting 50 and continuing on the MSQ. I popped into a chaos dungeon for quick gear just to speed things up, now I'm close to the end. Is there a decent guide here or elsewhere that's kind of a " congrats on 50 do this to catch up"?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Maxroll has a basic post 50 guide, along with a lot of other good guides for new players.

https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/post-50-guide

There have been a lot of global honing buffs since a lot of their guide were created so you can mostly just do the current event along side the daily/weekly content and you'll very quickly catch up in levels to each new piece of story content. Essentially you're gathering materials to hone up your gear until you reach the next tier that resets you back down and start with a new material type.

Rohendel unlocks at 460, Yorn at 600, Feiton at 960, Punika at 1100 and South Vern at 1340.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There’s no more failure chance for Tier 1 and 2 equipment up to +15, as a means of helping you advance. When you unlock and can do the next tier of chaos dungeons, grab your armour drops and Transfer your current enhancements over; it’ll save you some honing materials.

Basically upgrade your gear to +15 which will be enough to unlock the next area (and thus new gear), and continue along the path.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

When you unlock and can do the next tier of chaos dungeons, grab your armour drops and Transfer your current enhancements over

IIRC it doesn't actually matter anymore because your first 5 or so hones in a tier give 2 levels, but only to even numbers.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
I finally got around to upgrading my tripods from level 3 to 4 on my most important tripods on my sorc, and my igniter damage parse went from 8.2~ million dps to 9.5. Not bad for 40k gold and one hundred pheons.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

what is a tripod. for context i'm ilvl 460

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Tripods start dropping in t3 with legendary gear iirc (1340ish range)

https://maxroll.gg/lost-ark/resources/skill-tree-system-guide

The west will get the new tripod update in November that will remove tripods from gear and just let you select it in the character screen.

If you're able to, it's one of the "cheaper" ways to boost your character. I used the following for my 1415 alts to buy up tripods, store them in the library to get +5s, and then planning to sell the tripods a week or so before the update and hopefully make at least my gold back (I'll still lost out on the pheons I spent)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bR8ufLOLC1gbwRbEcxfRPibhajgFya_dnuHTw59rqfA/edit?usp=sharing

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Jinnigan posted:

what is a tripod. for context i'm ilvl 460

Its those things on your skill screen where when you level up a skill you can pick from one of 3 modifiers and there are 3 tiers for each skill. Eventually you can equip "upgrades" for those onto your gear that level up the bonuses.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i cannot believe how long and tedious this post rohendel sequence is, and i especially cant believe how awful this Awakening Skill 2 questline is

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

lost ark is a weird fit for me since the combat is some of the best ive ever played in an ARPG and also i hate everything about the MMO mechanics scaffolding it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jinnigan posted:

lost ark is a weird fit for me since the combat is some of the best ive ever played in an ARPG and also i hate everything about the MMO mechanics scaffolding it

Yeah this is my vibe too. I also just wish I could login and do rifts. Chaos dungeons are close I guess

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

chaos dungeons are where it's at for me. I love just running those and having music or a twitch stream on in the background (sometimes I stream myself running them too).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Same but they really don't want you to only run them it seems; they also seem to be over too quickly and chaotically.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was having the most fun with the game when I could grind chaos dungeons for new gear and upgrades. Then it changed over to raids and all of a sudden I lost a significant amount of interest in Lost Ark. :(

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

I said come in! posted:

I was having the most fun with the game when I could grind chaos dungeons for new gear and upgrades. Then it changed over to raids and all of a sudden I lost a significant amount of interest in Lost Ark. :(

This is what cooled a lot of my enjoyment in the game. Until 1370 or so you had a few different ways to keep upgrading. But after that you HAVE to raid to upgrade and there is zero additional content you can ever access if you don't.

The game really needs chiller content like more high level dungeons or something instead of only raids

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Getting my 2nd character to 1415 made me realize how little genuine content there was to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

This is what cooled a lot of my enjoyment in the game. Until 1370 or so you had a few different ways to keep upgrading. But after that you HAVE to raid to upgrade and there is zero additional content you can ever access if you don't.

The game really needs chiller content like more high level dungeons or something instead of only raids

They just need one infinite content that scales. Chaos dungeons are kinda fun, but they could just steal the idea of rifts entirely and apply modifiers to it.