Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife bought ceiling fans for our house and I wasn't paying attention and now I have some IoT fans in my home. Why the gently caress is the fan on the wifi?
I'm going to go try and pair my phone to a ceiling fan. More as develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The best part about the internet of things poo poo is they all have a bunch of unnecessary cloud service calls baked in for their analytics/marketing team so every time the internet goes down you can't turn your fan on. Or whenever wifi is acting up because you need to microwave something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pryor on Fire posted:

The best part about the internet of things poo poo is they all have a bunch of unnecessary cloud service calls baked in for their analytics/marketing team so every time the internet goes down you can't turn your fan on. Or whenever wifi is acting up because you need to microwave something.
I haven't been here long enough to know what happens when the power goes out but it just took me like twenty minutes to pair my phone to the fan. I don't know what will happen if my wife asks to pair hers too. Ofc I had to log in and make an account so would she have to share it to access the fan?
On one hand this is all poo poo and also the wall switches are battery operated now.
On the other hand the secondary 2.4 gig network I setup months ago, CommanderSCADA, is finally paying dividends!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HootTheOwl posted:

My wife bought ceiling fans for our house and I wasn't paying attention and now I have some IoT fans in my home. Why the gently caress is the fan on the wifi?
I'm going to go try and pair my phone to a ceiling fan. More as develops.

There’s no way that you can’t wire that straight into a switch on the mains.

I’m going to say that you shouldn’t do it, because on the offchance that your house burns down, the insurance company will ruin you, but you could.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't been here long enough to know what happens when the power goes out but it just took me like twenty minutes to pair my phone to the fan. I don't know what will happen if my wife asks to pair hers too. Ofc I had to log in and make an account so would she have to share it to access the fan?
On one hand this is all poo poo and also the wall switches are battery operated now.
On the other hand the secondary 2.4 gig network I setup months ago, CommanderSCADA, is finally paying dividends!

Lmao gently caress

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Platystemon posted:

There’s no way that you can’t wire that straight into a switch on the mains.

I’m going to say that you shouldn’t do it, because on the offchance that your house burns down, the insurance company will ruin you, but you could.

I'm on their website and sure enough, a wifi-enabled ceiling fan is designed to be at full power all the time. A traditional dimmer is out of the question.
My wife was in agreement with me that battery-powered wall switches were stupid, but guess what? Only choice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Get rid of the batteries by making the action of throwing the switch run a tiny generator that makes enough power to send the signal. That's a thing right, with piezo switches? How much juice could it possibly take to send one little pulse over Bluetooth?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Renaissance Robot posted:

Get rid of the batteries by making the action of throwing the switch run a tiny generator that makes enough power to send the signal. That's a thing right, with piezo switches? How much juice could it possibly take to send one little pulse over Bluetooth?

I mean it's one emitter, Michael, what could it cost? 10 volts?

3v watch battery

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

this video must drive Tim & Eric up a wall because they could never make something as funny as this in a thousand years as a parody

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Shrecknet posted:

this video must drive Tim & Eric up a wall because they could never make something as funny as this in a thousand years as a parody

Kept thinking to myself surely this is the last 8 second turn on interval but it never was

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You know, I thought this was ridiculous the first time i saw it. But since then I've had to pair garage door openers with 2 cars as well as a key fob. This is so much more straight forward. You can even pull up the video and just do it with the timing.

Basically I've been gaslit by tech.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

i only clicked that link because of this post and I can not think of a more perfect encapsulation of this thread

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This makes me so viscerally uncomfortable.

E: Also it reminds me of changing a setting on an 03 car I had. Where you would do some combination of turning the key, opening and closing the door, and using the windows.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

lmfao it's the Cinco Lightbulb!

the fact that it's called "C-Life" makes it feel like you could slap the CINCO logo in there and have it be genuinely indistinguishable from any other Cinco product

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

no no no no no

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/canneo2103145/status/1577159976266584066

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is there a way to sign up to be the first one killed by one of these? I figure this is my best chance to make the history books.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
prepare to pay the iron price for your french fries.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Plant traitors that cut down other plants for fertilizer

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

tokin opposition posted:

Plant traitors that cut down other plants for fertilizer

plant pirates that swashbuckle mammals into fertilizer

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

That's metal as gently caress and I can't wait to see it murder a lumberjack

RULES OF NATURE :rock:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I am looking forward to using my houseplants to practice swashbuckling on the high seas.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why a machete and not a pool noodle?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

noodlebotting is in another tech tree with a completely different endgame

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

new plant firmware's not compatible with pool noodles

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

exposure to sunlight activates the sandevistan

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1577380706585542657

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

Very few people want to use a moderation-free app saturated with lies by design. We know this from the dozens of Twitter clones who've tried and failed.

I’m not so sure about this, I think Twitter just had good timing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

I’m not so sure about this, I think Twitter just had good timing.

Yeah, the hardest part about building a new social media app is adoption. Google Plus was better than Facebook in pretty much every way, save that nobody was loving using it. If you've already got a user base, you're staying with a huge advantage; most people aren't going to want to give up their whole Twitter history over Musk being an rear end in a top hat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nobody understood circles

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Shrecknet posted:

About that...

https://vimeo.com/108579174

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

nobody understood circles

my almost 2 year old daughter is in a phase where she points at anything not a letter/number/animal on a page and says “circle!”

born a decade and change too late I guess

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hail to the chef

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/edmontonpolice/status/1577296746698661890

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
kkkanadian kops clapping for having ginned up a new excuse to arrest any black people they saw

"he matched the phenotype"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

seems like an incredibly expensive waste of money when any cop could have told you they were at least 99.94% confident it was a person with a Skin Color of Dark Brown / Brown

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Prosecutor’s fallacy ahoy!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

seems like an incredibly expensive waste of money when any cop could have told you they were at least 99.94% confident it was a person with a Skin Color of Dark Brown / Brown

this way, police hope to shift the blame to the machine and escape accountability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The police were following the science when they apprehended that black guy.

Why are you anti‐science?