Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mesadoram posted:

I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.
Something that isn't always obvious to newer players: Trash pulls are the hardest part of the dungeon, damage-wise. Using your defensive cooldowns proactively on them is the way to go as you found out. On bosses you'll want to use defensive cooldowns on tankbusters (red swirly circle around you, or the boss is casting something that sounds painful like Skull Crusher) but their auto attacks are not a major threat.

As far as Warrior's damage buff goes, on trash pulls you'll want to use Overpower -> Mythril Tempest still but on bosses you can use the single-target combo instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

iPodschun posted:

Something that isn't always obvious to newer players: Trash pulls are the hardest part of the dungeon, damage-wise. Using your defensive cooldowns proactively on them is the way to go as you found out. On bosses you'll want to use defensive cooldowns on tankbusters (red swirly circle around you, or the boss is casting something that sounds painful like Skull Crusher) but their auto attacks are not a major threat.

As far as Warrior's damage buff goes, on trash pulls you'll want to use Overpower -> Mythril Tempest still but on bosses you can use the single-target combo instead.

Red swirl is a tank buster? Good to know, I never realized what that was.

Thank you for the tips!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Pulling multiple packs of trash mobs piles damage onto you a lot faster than the slow wind ups of the average boss and it'll take you 1-2 minutes to clear between bosses, as well as minutes to fight bosses especially as you get further in the game.

If you're single target you use the 3 parter and buff yourself the first time, then do 3 part combos normally. If it's AoE then use your AoE 2 parter, yeah. It'll be something like 100-200-300+Buff and 100-200-350 vs 100-150+buff, AoE tends to be horribly inefficient single target and even questionable at two, depending on the class and potency numbers.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mesadoram posted:

I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.

Eventually the second hit in the overpower combo applies the buff too. Before that... Yeah it's a bit annoying to keep it up for trash, and if it's a large group probably not worth it cos you lose so much damage doing three single target gcd attacks.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Note that "arms length" is a defensive cool down for trash packs. It slows any enemy that hits you while it's up. For bosses it doesn't work (you use it for knock back immunity) but for trash, that plus a reprisal can do well when rampart or your 30% mit are on cool down.

Just remember to try not to stack mitigation. Rampart, wait for it to expire, then 30%, then arms lenth/reprisal. Hopefully before those 3 run out the pack is dead. You'll also as a war get options to survive packs better later as you progress through 50s.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

As an addendum, do note that "slow" in final fantasy terms is "affected character attacks less often."

"Heavy" is for movement speed.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

Note that "arms length" is a defensive cool down for trash packs. It slows any enemy that hits you while it's up. For bosses it doesn't work (you use it for knock back immunity) but for trash, that plus a reprisal can do well when rampart or your 30% mit are on cool down.

Just remember to try not to stack mitigation. Rampart, wait for it to expire, then 30%, then arms lenth/reprisal. Hopefully before those 3 run out the pack is dead. You'll also as a war get options to survive packs better later as you progress through 50s.

Does damage mitigation not stack or is it just not optimal to do that?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It stacks, but multiplicatively, not additively. So 20% from rampart + 30% from your class cool down != 50% mitigation. So yeah, it's better to have lesser mit for longer than somewhat better mit for a very short time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

It stacks, but multiplicatively, not additively. So 20% from rampart + 30% from your class cool down != 50% mitigation. So yeah, it's better to have lesser mit for longer than somewhat better mit for a very short time.

That is good to know, thank you!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So talk to me about buying the game instead of using the free trial. I know there's a lot of features blocked off in the free trial, especially around social interactions. Is there any reason to buy the Standard Edition (ARR+Heavensward) instead of the Complete Edition (all expansions)? Will I be on the hook for the subscription fee even while still doing free trial content if I buy now while I'm in late ARR? I'm enjoying the game and will probably buy it to play all the story content, but also I'd rather not pay for a subscription to continue playing the content I'm already playing for free.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are definitely times you want to be stacking cooldowns, like Savage tankbusters which deal more than your maximum HP in damage, but for trash pulls you will want to space them out, since you will be taking sustained damage over a long period of time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quiggy posted:

So talk to me about buying the game instead of using the free trial. I know there's a lot of features blocked off in the free trial, especially around social interactions. Is there any reason to buy the Standard Edition (ARR+Heavensward) instead of the Complete Edition (all expansions)? Will I be on the hook for the subscription fee even while still doing free trial content if I buy now while I'm in late ARR? I'm enjoying the game and will probably buy it to play all the story content, but also I'd rather not pay for a subscription to continue playing the content I'm already playing for free.

Where are you at in the ARR/HW story? If you've got a way to go you can probably hold off another month. on the other hand you should subscribe so you can accept trades and i can hand you this 500k gil i got from levelskipping DRG that i don't need.

e: you do get a free month when you buy the game. And i strongly recommend buying the whole thing, but beware - there will be minor spoilers on the title screen when it starts playing movies if you buy the whole buffet; don't let them run forever.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

Where are you at in the ARR/HW story? If you've got a way to go you can probably hold off another month. on the other hand you should subscribe so you can accept trades and i can hand you this 500k gil i got from levelskipping DRG that i don't need.

e: you do get a free month when you buy the game. And i strongly recommend buying the whole thing, but beware - there will be minor spoilers on the title screen when it starts playing movies if you buy the whole buffet; don't let them run forever.

Uh I'm currently up to the ARR MSQ quest The Black Wolf's Ultimatum, which is a level 46 quest. This being said I wasn't enjoying either Scholar or Summoner much so I decided to try out Conjurer, and am now grinding White Mage up to that level so I can continue the MSQ with that class instead--I think my WHM is up to 38, as of logging off last night. I have no idea how far that is from the end of ARR/HW content, although I assume it's still a ways to go.

Really the issue here is there's a guild Free Company on my server I wanna see about joining, but obvs can't do that while I'm still a sprout. I'm down for buying the game now to let me join, but I'm cheap and want to pay as few subscription months as possible :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Best way to lower battle effects, please.

It is.....difficult, to say the least, to parse anything in an alliance raid.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Best way to lower battle effects, please.

It is.....difficult, to say the least, to parse anything in an alliance raid.

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Character -> Battle Effects. Set Party to Limited so you can see your healers’ bubbles and other friendly AoE spells. Set Others to either Limited or None depending on your preference. I personally play with Others set to Limited as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Thank you so dang much

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quiggy posted:

Uh I'm currently up to the ARR MSQ quest The Black Wolf's Ultimatum, which is a level 46 quest. This being said I wasn't enjoying either Scholar or Summoner much so I decided to try out Conjurer, and am now grinding White Mage up to that level so I can continue the MSQ with that class instead--I think my WHM is up to 38, as of logging off last night. I have no idea how far that is from the end of ARR/HW content, although I assume it's still a ways to go.

Really the issue here is there's a guild Free Company on my server I wanna see about joining, but obvs can't do that while I'm still a sprout. I'm down for buying the game now to let me join, but I'm cheap and want to pay as few subscription months as possible :v:

Your free trial ends as soon as you activate any paid copy of the game, and there's no going back afterwards. You're a long way from the end of the free content. There's a long stretch between ARR end credits and HW title screen, HW is similar length to ARR, and then there's also substantial HW postgame leading up to Stormblood.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You know your own tolerance for battle effects, but for me personally fights feel empty without some amount of boom going on, so I typically set party to full and everything outside of that scope to limited or none.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

hopeandjoy posted:

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Character -> Battle Effects. Set Party to Limited so you can see your healers’ bubbles and other friendly AoE spells. Set Others to either Limited or None depending on your preference. I personally play with Others set to Limited as well.

note that if you're photosensitive even other-limited can be a problem during alliance raids; if you know going in that you have photosensitivity problems, definitely pick None for Other.

(Also, if any of you sprouts are photosensitive, there's a main story quest in Stormblood called In Crimson It Began that has a very nasty solo duty in terms of photosensitivity triggers—full-screen strobing to convey frequent lightning, and it continues into the cutscenes. I was taken out for multiple days after pushing through it, so I want anyone else to be able to take precautions with it.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

quiggy posted:

I certainly wouldn't buy the standard edition. Get the complete edition either way. As for when to get it, just depends how much the missing features bother you. You've still got a good way to go on the free trial so if it's not proving too inconvenient so far just hold off to the end of Heavensward.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
WHM is a bit much for flashing lights on its own, forget what other players are doing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Play RDM and be the ultimate flashing light.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sge has entered the chat

(though tbf we're not just strobe lights)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

WrightOfWay posted:

There are definitely times you want to be stacking cooldowns, like Savage tankbusters which deal more than your maximum HP in damage, but for trash pulls you will want to space them out, since you will be taking sustained damage over a long period of time.

I'd say it's worth stacking cooldown in trash pulls if your healer (or your gear) just isn't up to snuff. Popping a second one is technically inefficient, but it DOES give you more survivability and could keep you alive in a trash pull that otherwise would have killed you. After that pull just grab fewer packs.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, and never be afraid to hit your invuln, holmgang in the case of war. It's just a cool down, can't tank mobs when you're dead!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

and if the ranged DPS aren't using LB on trash packs, it becomes another tank cooldown

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, and never be afraid to hit your invuln, holmgang in the case of war. It's just a cool down, can't tank mobs when you're dead!

Note that Holmgang is, uh, special. You can either use targeting yourself, which just makes you not able to drop below 1 HP, or you can use it targeting an enemy, which will give you the same invuln and also Bind (what other MMOs call root) the targeted enemy.

Using Holmgang on an enemy is a trap. First, it means that Holmgang simply wont fire if you're out of melee range. Second, the invuln ends when the target dies, meaning that if you use Holmgang to survive hard-hitting dungeon trash you're liable to suddenly keel over at 3 seconds remaining as your chosen mob dies and your Holmgang dies with them. The Bind effect is emphatically not worth it.

Generally you want to replace your Holmgang button with a macro that goes
code:
/micon Holmgang
/ac Holmgang <me>
so you just get the invuln and not the Bind regardless of what you're targeting. Macros in FFXIV are themselves kind of wonky and should be avoided for common abilities, but for once-every-few-minutes oGCDs like Holmgang they're fine ... and much preferable to an invulnerability that cancels itself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FuturePastNow posted:

and if the ranged DPS aren't using LB on trash packs, it becomes another tank cooldown

What's the etiquette on this? Like will people get mad cause they wanted to save it for the boss?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's the etiquette on this? Like will people get mad cause they wanted to save it for the boss?
Saving LB2 for the end of the last boss is dumb because it will likely come up at like 3% HP when you would be cruising to a kill anyway. Using caster/ranged phys LB1 on a big trash pack is much more productive.

If people get mad about using LB on a trash pack, they're dumb.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If a Melee uses LB1 on a boss it'll remove a nice chunk of HP, though nice chunk gets smaller as you advance in expacs. Therefore if you use Ranged DPS(MCH/DNC/BRD) on a Trash Pack you get the smaller AoE that hits harder vs Casters wider AoE that doesn't hit as hard. So Ranged -> Caster for a big trash group is great because it vaporizes the trash pack for like 40%+ of every mob involved instead of maybe 5% if you're lucky of one boss.

The other etiquette is much later raids have the occasional Tank LB timing and any raid benefits from Healer LB 3 if everybody is dying a lot!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 4, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you're ranged or caster, you should always LB a trash pack. If a melee bitches at you about not saving it for them to use on a boss' last sliver of health, they are bad at the game and all of their opinions should be disregarded. And if there are no ranged DPS, frankly I'd rather a melee use it to delete the biggest mob in a pack. Or use it in the middle of a boss fight, not at the end, so you get the full effect.

Like I'm sure good etiquette is to talk to your party about it, but if you're playing with people you don't know, the LB in a dungeon belongs to the first person to press the button. In raids and trials it's sometimes required for a mechanic, and if nothing else, I've seen many raids saved by a healer LB3 so I just leave it for them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unless I'm the ranged I rarely get one that will actually use the lb on trash. Really, even the melee will forget to lb the boss at least half the time. But it's not a big deal either way since the time save is small comparatively. If the lb is still around and the boss is almost dead I'll pop it as a tank or healer as a joke.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will use LB as monk if it becomes clear no one's going to bother. This is typically for dungeon roulette though; not going to touch it on alliance raids.

Had some screw ups on Diabolos in ampador where on 2nd attempt I popped LB to move things along.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When should I start worrying about gear and items in my bags. I’m someone in the mid 30s in the msq.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

I will use LB as monk if it becomes clear no one's going to bother. This is typically for dungeon roulette though; not going to touch it on alliance raids.

Had some screw ups on Diabolos in ampador where on 2nd attempt I popped LB to move things along.

Alliance raids it's a race to see who gets to waste the LB first

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Xerophyte posted:

Second, the invuln ends when the target dies,

Are you sure that's still the case? I thought the invulnerability had been disconnected from the bind effect.

Edit: Seems like it is still the case, based on word of mouth on the internet. Huh.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 4, 2022

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

euphronius posted:

When should I start worrying about gear and items in my bags. I’m someone in the mid 30s in the msq.

If you don't do other jobs/crafting? Maybe like... 60+ msq? If not later?

Crafting is the big thing that fills your pockets with crap, since a lot of crafting jobs are interconnected.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Literally just throw out or sell stuff you don't imminently need or use. This is true at cap but ESPECIALLY true when you are leveling. Hoarding is a path to madness.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

euphronius posted:

Don’t worry about gear until max level or the first time you don’t meet the ilvl requirements for a duty. Quests and dungeons will keep you at the right gear level for the most part, and at the level caps - 50/60/70 etc you can earn currencies that give you the highest level gear for the expansion.

As far as the random crafting items go, just sell them unless you plan on using them immediately. They’re easy to replace, and probably from a vendor at your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SettingSun posted:

Literally just throw out or sell stuff you don't imminently need or use. This is true at cap but ESPECIALLY true when you are leveling. Hoarding is a path to madness.

Ohh...

Well now, guess I have a purge I can do when I get home.