Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How are you determining sex on spiders? That sounds like something my spider removal person (wife) would get really annoyed about me pointing out before she rescues me. (I like spiders as long as I'm not touching them and they're not above where I sleep)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I guess my phone doesn't like shooting by the light of a headlamp, but I gave this stinky kitty right of way on my morning run the other day. They seem more numerous than usual in our area this year.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BonHair posted:

How are you determining sex on spiders? That sounds like something my spider removal person (wife) would get really annoyed about me pointing out before she rescues me. (I like spiders as long as I'm not touching them and they're not above where I sleep)

See those boxing glove things on his palps, to either side of his face? That's his junk. Also his butt's less chonky thanks to not having egg hardware.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BonHair posted:

It depends. Some spiders are very sexually dimorphic, so males look very different from females and it's easy to tell them apart. In general, it usually comes down to differences in the size of the pedipalps (males have larger ones) and the overall size (females tend to be larger or more robust).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

McGavin posted:

... and the overall size (females tend to be larger or more robust).

In some spiders, like black widows, this difference is seriously dramatic.

Widows where I live don't have back markings, just the belly, so the males are practically unrecognizable.

I've never managed to get a picture of any local widows because sixteen years is apparently not enough time for me to internalize that I have a camera on me at all times. "Boy that's so cool, wish I could show it to friends. Oh well."

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Don't know what's up but I caught three of these guys in my basement in as many days, all male.

They're nice and placid until the jar gets too close, at which point they leap inside and run crazy circles around the bottom for a couple seconds before settling down.

Grass spider, I think.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Literally A Person posted:

Grass spider, I think.

Yep. That’s not a super specific designation but I don’t know jack about genus or species level id with them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

the yeti posted:

Yep. That’s not a super specific designation but I don’t know jack about genus or species level id with them.

Same. I mostly think of them as the little guys who really enjoy sunbathing on my garden boxes. :kimchi:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I guess my phone doesn't like shooting by the light of a headlamp, but I gave this stinky kitty right of way on my morning run the other day. They seem more numerous than usual in our area this year.

Most importantly, did you pet it?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

the yeti posted:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/26084/bgimage

Rabid Wolf Spider, a favorite of mine.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I sometimes forget that wolf spider is a real species, it's become such a catch-all to mean "harmless" among people that aren't really into creepy crawlies.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ArcMage posted:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/26084/bgimage

Rabid Wolf Spider, a favorite of mine.

I don’t think it’s Rabidosa as they don’t have the big honkin spinnerets and op’s specimen lacks abdomen stripes

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Pretty good illustration of how well warning coloration works. It's just an amorphous blob yet I bet everyone who sees this photo will instantly identify it as a skunk.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

the yeti posted:

I don’t think it’s Rabidosa as they don’t have the big honkin spinnerets and op’s specimen lacks abdomen stripes

Oh true.

Agelenopsis it is, then?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/1891695

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Red Queen posted:

I sometimes forget that wolf spider is a real species, it's become such a catch-all to mean "harmless" among people that aren't really into creepy crawlies.

Wolf spiders are a family, with hundreds of species, Lycosidae. They got the name from not building webs, but instead chasing down their prey.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Adult male Western Grey Kangaroo, hopped up close to where I was sitting at Mount Lofty Summit after the tourists that were pressuring them left

Here's a few more of it and a female

The extra foot is from the rather large pouched joey

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Nice to see a local post, good photos!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Not my picture

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
katy lied

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MrYenko posted:

Most importantly, did you pet it?

Alas I did not. Maybe next time.

Office guest. Maybe one of these days it'll be a peregrine, but they tend to stick to the rooftops.

River rock pal!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I was on the fence about posting him kind of just a test of my new phone macro lens but he’s just such a devout buggy boy

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

photo quality doesn't matter here, always post cool bugs!

i love your friend

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

vortmax posted:

Not my picture

I wonder what Katy did that left such an impression someone decided to name an insect after them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's starting to get cold at night and my dog has been getting up to bark at the door every night at 4am. This morning I was awake for some reason so I went to investigate. 3 raccoons and an opossum were having a party out there:

Time to start bringing in the bird feeder at night. At least there seem to be no rats.

Bonus squirrel tits:

My crow friends completely bailed after July 4 and I was worried that something had happened to them, but with the tourists gone and cool weather here Mr. Crow came for breakfast today :woop:. He brought 50 friends though, and I'm not too happy about that. I hope we can get back into our more intimate breakfast routine.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 6, 2022

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Eastern screech owl, I believe. Look at those legs :3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Red Queen posted:

Eastern screech owl, I believe. Look at those legs :3

Owl legs are the best

I mean super murdery but so it goes

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The bad news: a possum expired on the street in front of my house last Tuesday. :(

The good news: The streets dept. removed the entire carcass within an hour.

The streets dept:

https://i.imgur.com/dXhnFNI.mp4

We have tons & tons of turkey vultures in south Jersey. It's hard to describe just how large a bird they are; it always surprises me when I see one up close.

This guy was joined a short time later by a buddy. The made extremely short work of the poor guy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

The bad news: a possum expired on the street in front of my house last Tuesday. :(

The streets dept:

We have tons & tons of turkey vultures in south Jersey. It's hard to describe just how large a bird they are; it always surprises me when I see one up close.

This guy was joined a short time later by a buddy. The made extremely short work of the poor guy.

There's some that hang out near a shopping center I regularly go by and yeah, this. They like to perch on top of stop signs and watch cars go by. It's disconcerting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

The streets dept:

We have tons of them here, on the opposite side of the country in Oregon.

Earlier this year I saw one get mobbed by the local crows, and I felt kind of sorry for it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Three Views of an Isa textula Crowned Slug Caterpillar.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You should touch it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

McGavin posted:

You should touch it.

Apparently, as you might imagine, those hairs deliver a painful sting.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those dudes look so cool.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A dove crashed into the window when a hawk came through and left this

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Was the dove OK?

I have had this happen on three occasions. On the two unprompted ones: one survived.

The third was being chased by a sharp-shinned hawk. Hawk swerved; the dove didn't, so hawk was enjoying a leisurely meal under my window

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Was the dove OK?

I have had this happen on three occasions. On the two unprompted ones: one survived.

The third was being chased by a sharp-shinned hawk. Hawk swerved; the dove didn't, so hawk was enjoying a leisurely meal under my window

The hawks here only ever seem to eat the fat invasive Eurasian doves, which based on size is what this was. I didn't see the dove but I did see the empty-handed hawk so I assume this was a miss

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

On a leaf of my Ippolito Blood Orange tree, best guess some kind of shield bug

Austral Ellipsidion - Ellipsidion australe
The Beautiful Cockroach, Family Blattellidae (nymph of)

Thanks AusPol discord and Scarodactyl :tipshat:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 14, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's a fancy blattellid cockroach nymph.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here's someone I found in the wood pile:

Not sure what they are but it's certainly pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It looks like a False Widow. I can't tell you the species though.