Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Started my day by logging in to see a bunch of “Congratulations” posts for my colleague who just got promoted. That was a big “what the gently caress” cause usually we’d find out as a team first. And I was depressed cause apparently I didn’t even qualify for an interview for it.

Try to contact my boss, get a sus out of office message. An hour after that, our team gets told my boss is gone immediately for going to a competitor.

Mother fucker I hadn’t even had my coffee yet, I can’t deal with that level of drama so early. Time to update my resume cause who knows what’s gonna happen.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
We get six paid holidays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. If any of those fall on a weekend we get the Friday or Monday paid off. Also two personal days and two floating holidays. And I’m maxed out with 20 vacation days. We also have limited sick time, but the policy always changes so I’m not sure what it is currently but if you’re sick more than five days in a row it’s a big deal with HR.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 4, 2022

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have been updating a little bit with my dumb fuckin' job doing lab chemistry stuff, and mentioned my job's insanely poo poo PTO policy

I feel like that well is pretty dry, but now the company CEO is demanding my lab director(Hired 2 months ago) have all three of the lab techs(Used to be 8 when I started) be crosstrained on all of the lab equipment, and he wants us to competency test by next friday. The lab director was just like "no, that is not feasible, ICPMS, GCMS, HPLC, and all the other equipment is really loving complicated and should not be learned in a day". The CEO was piiiiiissed about this, but as long as we start by next week, he will accept it. The reason he wants this is because he went from the company planning on hiring 4 new lab techs to maaaaaaaybe we will hire one.

Maybe.

Totally unrelated, but I moved on to the third stage of interviews at a different company, which apparently is gonna be a 2 hour zoom interview with like three different folks, and then they even scheduled something called a "virtual walkout and thank you by (RECRUITERNAME)" the following day.

I think that may be a good sign.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A builder has sent me plans for three sets of buildings. So far two have had such poor dimensioning that they're impossible to locate on the property and one just drops out the grid dimensions in the middle of the page so I have to add up every internal wall just to work out the total length of the building. Designer, whoever you are, I hope someone keys your car. Then you'd know what it feels like to spend hours fixing 30 seconds of lazy work.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

...and they've designed their building on top of the houses we laid out last year. Nice work, team.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

OP posted:

One of the perks provided by my workplace is a paid day off on your birthday (or the day after if it falls on a weekend or holiday) provided by the firm and not taken from your own vacation days, and a gift card which works at several restaurants our city. Once a month, a cake is also provided at lunch for everyone as an acknowledgement of everyone who has a birthday that month.

There is an employee on my team who was born in a leap year on February 29. Since she only has a birthday every four years, she does not get a day off or a gift card and is not one of the people the cake acknowledges. She has complained about this and is trying to push back so she is included.

The firm doesn’t single out or publicly name anyone that has a birthday. People take the day off and that is it, nothing is said. The gift card is quietly enclosed with their pay stub. The cake is put in the lunchroom without fanfare for anyone that wants some. There is no email or card that goes around and no celebrating at work. If there was I could see her point, but since everything is done quietly/privately, she is not losing out on anything. My manager feels her complaints are petty and she needs to be more professional. I agree with him.

She has only worked here for two years and was hired straight out of university. I want to tell her that she should be focusing on work issues and not something as small as a birthday. If she had a complaint about a work issue it would be different. How do I frame my discussion with her without making her feel bad or like she is trouble? Her work is good and I am sure the complaint is just borne of inexperience and I don’t want to penalize her for it.

update posted:

I just wanted to give an update and to clarify a few things. I am the employee’s manager. For some reason some people in the comments thought I was a “coworker” or “team lead.” 

One person guessed I was not American. I don’t know why they were jumped all over but they were correct. I am Canadian. I live and work outside of North America.

Some people mentioned Jehovah’s Witnesses and not being allowed to celebrate birthdays and the legality of this in the comments. This is not relevant to the situation with my employee. Also, it is considered a cult here and is banned. No one who works here is a Jehovah’s Witness.

People seemed to be unclear on the policy even though I stated it. Employees must take their birthday off. This is mandatory and not voluntary. They are paid and don’t have use their own time off. If their birthday falls on a weekend or holiday, they get the first working day off. There is no changing the date. They must take their actual birthday or the first working day back (in case of a weekend or holiday). People love the policy and no one complains about the mandatory day off or the gift card.

She had worked here for 2 years. She did get her birthday off in 2016 as it was a leap year. She did not get a day off in 2017 as it is not a leap year and didn’t get this year either. If she is still employed here in 2020 she will get a Monday off as the 29th of February is on a Saturday. This is in line with the policy. Some of the comments were confused about whether she ever had a birthday off.

The firm is not doing anything illegal by the laws here. She would have no legal case at all and if she quit she will not be able to get unemployment. She is not job hunting. She has known about the birthday policy since February of 2016 and has been bringing it up ever since. She has complained but has not looked for another job (the market is niche and specialized). Morale is high at the firm. Turnover among employees is low. Many people want to work here. Aside from this one issue she is a good worker and would be given an excellent reference if she decides to look elsewhere in the future.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Refried Noodle posted:

Western Europe and the US have pretty similar productivity per hour. Americans just work more hours and fund more services privately instead of collectively. That's my picture from the statistics anyway, never looked in detail.

Lived in California making $150k + options + extras
Moved to Sweden for $90k + pension

Even with that pay cut, I save far more money here than I ever could in the states because the 'hidden fees' just aren't there
No stress about insurance, medical bills, etc. because those 'high' taxes cover it all
No car, I can take the train or bus or ride my bike everywhere, and zoning means everything I need is within walking distance
I'm way happier, and my existential fear of homelessness in old age is slowly subsiding

The only minuses:
My living space is significantly smaller
Staples like food are cheaper, but booze, restaurants, and non-essentials are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive (yay living wages!)
Most places close earlier, and many aren't open on Sundays - inconvenient, but oh well, those people are home with their families
Way less choice for things overall, Sweden's a small market so many companies just don't set up shop here

It's a different lifestyle, for sure - much slower overall, even in the capital where things run the fastest.
Stuff that took days in the 'states takes a couple of weeks here. I'm OK with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I feel like that well is pretty dry, but now the company CEO is demanding my lab director(Hired 2 months ago) have all three of the lab techs(Used to be 8 when I started) be crosstrained on all of the lab equipment, and he wants us to competency test by next friday. The lab director was just like "no, that is not feasible, ICPMS, GCMS, HPLC, and all the other equipment is really loving complicated and should not be learned in a day". The CEO was piiiiiissed about this, but as long as we start by next week, he will accept it.

I'm sure the CEO expects no loss of productivity while people spend weeks training/being trained.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Motronic posted:

I'm sure the CEO expects no loss of productivity while people spend weeks training/being trained.

I doubt the CEO even thinks of people as people

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is just the dumbest poo poo, why not pretend for the sake of everyone's sanity that her birthday is on the 28th?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Scientastic posted:

That is just the dumbest poo poo, why not pretend for the sake of everyone's sanity that her birthday is on the 28th?

She should get 4 cakes and 4 days off when it is finally the 29th

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Scientastic posted:

"Morale is high at the firm," yeah except the one person you're specifically singling out by not allowing them the same birthday policy everyone else is allowed. Can't stand people who nitpick and double down on idiotic poo poo like that.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

No, but you see, she is the one being childish! Celebrating her birthday on not her legal day of birth is illogical! Beep boop!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

No, but you see, she is the one being childish! Celebrating her birthday on not her legal day of birth is illogical! Beep boop!

100% chance this is a German company.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

MrQwerty posted:

"Morale is high at the firm," yeah except the one person you're specifically singling out by not allowing them the same birthday policy everyone else is allowed. Can't stand people who nitpick and double down on idiotic poo poo like that.

This is the sort of thing that leads to people lashing out at the company. Refusing to fix a minor issue and seemingly targeting this person specifically? Enjoy watching your trade secrets walk over to your competitor.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

But they are very quiet about not giving her time off!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Guys, the correct answer is that everyone should only get their birthday ever four years. Think of the cost savings and increase in productivity!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That might be the single stupidest policy I've ever heard of. I mean there's much worse and much dumber but in terms of petty idiocy this really takes the cake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Technically correct managers are the best possible sort of correct.

Imagine if this guy worked at a bar. "Can't serve 5 year olds, sorry."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s got to be bullshit karma farming like 90% of Reddit posts that do the numbers

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

zedprime posted:

Technically correct managers are the best possible sort of correct.

Imagine if this guy worked at a bar. "Can't serve 5 year olds, sorry."

*puts 5-year-old Scotch back on the shelf*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

McGavin posted:

Doubt it, we get at least 30 Days of Vacation and you can just schedule a day your birthday. I've not heard of a company giving you a day off on your birthday

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

McGavin posted:

It says it’s in Canada in the “update” part.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

It says it’s in Canada in the “update” part.

I get that reading is hard, but it says the manager is a Canadian working outside of North America.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I just take the week off during my birthday. This stems from my last job when on your birthday, the social committee would get you to come their area and you got to pick 2 small toys or 1 large toy from their birthday chest. The toys was just trash they got from the Dollarama. I didn't take anything and I got hauled into HR because I hurt the feelings of the social committee by not taking a toy.

Call Centers are a blackhole of making any sense at all.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s got to be bullshit karma farming like 90% of Reddit posts that do the numbers

This was Ask A Manager vs /r.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

toplitzin posted:

This was Ask A Manager vs /r.

I would pay to see Ask A Manager vs Reddit.

Have the AaM woman forced to post on reddit 16 hours a day until there is at least one suicide, her or some of them.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

That might be the single stupidest policy I've ever heard of. I mean there's much worse and much dumber but in terms of petty idiocy this really takes the cake.

She takes the cake only every four years tho

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Annual Enrollment time, baby, let's do this.

My wife and have worked for the same company for the last four years and it's literally never made sense for us to be on the same insurance. Why?

Base pay between 75k and 100k:
You: $115/mo
You + Spouse: $241/mo

Base Pay between $100k and $150k:
You: $136/mo
You + Spouse: $285/mo

Interestingly, it doesn't state what happens if someone's cost of living and merit raises take them into a new category which I'm sure does happen. Also, those are HSA backed plans, I'm putting money into that because my actual insurance coverage is a joke and if I somehow go over the deductible they only cover 80% of the medial bill cost. Getting a long term illness or in a disaster of an accident could absolutely ruin someone under this insurance.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

TotalLossBrain posted:

She takes the cake only every four years tho

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Lazyfire posted:

Annual Enrollment time, baby, let's do this.

My wife and have worked for the same company for the last four years and it's literally never made sense for us to be on the same insurance. Why?

Base pay between 75k and 100k:
You: $115/mo
You + Spouse: $241/mo

Base Pay between $100k and $150k:
You: $136/mo
You + Spouse: $285/mo

Interestingly, it doesn't state what happens if someone's cost of living and merit raises take them into a new category which I'm sure does happen. Also, those are HSA backed plans, I'm putting money into that because my actual insurance coverage is a joke and if I somehow go over the deductible they only cover 80% of the medial bill cost. Getting a long term illness or in a disaster of an accident could absolutely ruin someone under this insurance.

Your insurance sucks, but that's true of almost all American insurance plans.

I remember a small lab's plan, they told us it was catastrophic insurance and if you ever got injured you were likely to go bankrupt... thanks guys.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Freaquency posted:

Enjoy watching your trade secrets walk over to your competitor.

If she does it on her birthday they can't legally do anything about it for another four years.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lazyfire posted:

Interestingly, it doesn't state what happens if someone's cost of living and merit raises take them into a new category which I'm sure does happen.
Maybe because it's self evident in HR land. This would be a qualifying life event: change in coverage due to qualifications. And give you an enrollment period to affirm the new coverage or get rid of it. Your partner could also report it as a QLE for partner coverage change if for some reason it made sense to hop into the same plan then.

Its entirely possible they wouldn't bother to change it up on you which would stop it being a QLE but let's be real that's them leaving money in the table.

Cheaper individual coverage is pretty common right now, most companies see spouse coverage as a place to make up their bottom line by forcing spouses who are otherwise ineligible for an employment based insurance plan to get on their partners.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Lol what an idiot manager. The lady wants to be included, which is a reasonable request. Give the drat lady a cake and let her eat it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Give her half a cake on the 28th and half on the 1st.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bake her a cake every year, but only give her the cake every four years, then force her to eat three rotting cakes before giving her the fresh one

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Remember: if you have time off that you let expire because you didn’t take it, you’re working for free.

Don’t work for free.

But what if my job is a complete farce and I ca make more money skimming minutes every day?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Toxic Mental posted:

But what if my job is a complete farce and I ca make more money skimming minutes every day?

Double dip and take the vacation as well?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Double dip and take the vacation as well?

I don't think they will allow me to take vacation days and then in the evenings clock in for 8 hours, just my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Toxic Mental posted:

This is neither working nor for free