Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Do thermo regulators ever seem to "stall" for anyone else? They're working and the gas is being cooled appropriately but it stops effectively cooling after a fashion.

Specifically, I'm trying to build sour gas condensers using hydrogen as coolant. The first time I built one it worked shockingly well. A little slow but once it got rolling I had tons of methane. The gas would condense as it left the vent, even. Since then I've fiddled with a few designs and while I'll get a little methane out of it it seems to just stop at a certain point well above the condensation temperature and the machine just wastes power.

Does the small amount of heat exchanged with insulated pipes matter? I've noticed the hydrogen warms slightly on its way to the radiant pipes. Should I be keeping them out of the tiles where I can? or just pump the insulated sections through vacuum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Panty Saluter posted:

Do thermo regulators ever seem to "stall" for anyone else? They're working and the gas is being cooled appropriately but it stops effectively cooling after a fashion.

Specifically, I'm trying to build sour gas condensers using hydrogen as coolant. The first time I built one it worked shockingly well. A little slow but once it got rolling I had tons of methane. The gas would condense as it left the vent, even. Since then I've fiddled with a few designs and while I'll get a little methane out of it it seems to just stop at a certain point well above the condensation temperature and the machine just wastes power.

Does the small amount of heat exchanged with insulated pipes matter? I've noticed the hydrogen warms slightly on its way to the radiant pipes. Should I be keeping them out of the tiles where I can? or just pump the insulated sections through vacuum?

There's a million ways for gas liquefiers to stop working. It sounds like you're finding one of the failure modes, which is heat leaking in through your pipes. Insulated pipes are great and all but when you've got a 400 degree temperature delta between the coolant and the pipe, it can exchange enough heat to have a significant impact, and since they have so much mass, they don't cool down in a timely fashion. Radiant pipes in a vacuum help a lot, especially gold pipes since they have low SHC.

Other typical failure modes:

- Heat leakage elsewhere - Wire bridges and pipe bridges in particular exchange heat with both ends, but not the center, causing them to skip heat across insulated tiles.
- Heat exchanger too short - You generally want heat exchangers to be long (think long, snaking petroleum boilers). This helps you exchange heat with the output more efficiently, but also helps you establish and maintain a temperature gradient in your input.
- Overloading - It's easy to push material into your condenser faster than it can be cooled. Give some thought as to how to set up your automation so that it'll effectively rate-limit your input. There's a million ways to do this.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

You need to do an efficient counterflow. The difference in energy requirement is huge, my sour gas condensor went from struggling to motoring along just by making the pipes less wiggly, but starting with the first segment of radiative pipe at the bottom (in the liquid puddle) and going upwards. I needed 4 regulators per L of incoming oil, and it takes forever to get to temp. the worst bit is fiddling with stuff, everything you build starts at like 45C and has to suck out all that heat again. Ceramic pipes help, I find I lose maybe half degree of chill over about 20 or so tiles of igneous insulated in a steam room, so it's certainly not a huge concern.
Add more thermal mass - too little thermal mass in the cooling chamber and the hot incoming gas will warm it up faster than you can cool it, so you might need to just fill it, seal it, and chill until you get a puddle, and repeat until you have a good few 100kg at the bottom. Metal tiles are good for conducting heat, but they have very little thermal mass so I mix in granite tiles to make the temperatures swing slower. I also like soil temp shift plates - strangely high conductivity and SHC give them a huge amount of thermal mass. No good for high temps, unless you want to bake natural tiles.

I recently got super coolant and replaced 8 regulators running almost flat out with 1 aquatuner that barely turns on each cycle, and is condensing 50% more. I could ramp it right up but I just don't have the space for the generators right now!

E: Also the cooling chamber needs to be double-wall insulated. Gases exchange heat with tiles at something like 25x speed, and heat leak through a single insulated tile at those temps is significant.
Also beware of pumps and autosweepers generate heat. I had to put them on 10secs on/20 sec off timers, and make sure they were well away from the coldest parts where it condenses to keep it stable. Well, the pump is in the puddle, but anything else is as far away as possible. Something like -175 at the bottom, -165 at the top of the condensing chamber would not be unrealistic, but that only works if you dont plaster it in shitplates (they thermally link 3x3 so you need a gap of 2 between them to make seperate 'zones' for the counterflow to work well. And yeah - even in a small condensir like 6 tiles high is enough to have 2 'zones', a warmer top where gas comes in and a chilled puddle at the bottom. The incoming hydrogen at -200C will maintain the coldest tile at the very bottom, and warm to 160ish by the time it leaves the top next to the vent, and that's your counterflow! Any other flow path will not let you build that gradient that allows the efficient condensing you need.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 2, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK, so what I'm hearing is "there is nothing as simple as a chest freezer, but colder" :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, counterflows are used in real life too, they're stupendously efficient when you don't need the output itself being insanely hot/cold. without a counterflow you have to heat up your oil to 400 degrees using raw power, and then cool down liquid petroleum back to a friendly temp, with a counterflow, 99% of both of those things are done before the actual reactor. same goes for sour gas, but with cooling/heating reversed

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this pip to plant a 4th plant? I keep making more natural copper tiles further and further away but they don't bite. I realize they don't have access to two of those, but they did and ignored them.
if you ever need it, here's an in-depth guide to maximizing pip-plant density https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/110299-pip-planting-everything-you-need-to-know/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've used counterflows for petroleum before but never methane. I probably got lucky on my first cold box, because that's all it was. coupla metal tiles cooled with hydrogen, worked like crazy. Guess I should find that save and see what I used

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

I've used counterflows for petroleum before but never methane. I probably got lucky on my first cold box, because that's all it was. coupla metal tiles cooled with hydrogen, worked like crazy. Guess I should find that save and see what I used

oh jeez. yeah without any kind of counterflow, you're limited to whatever throughput is possible as per ONI cooling calculator. Counterflow is a force multiplier for boilers/condensers.

I was waiting for supercoolant before making one of these systems, but now I want to try making a sour gas boiler that teleports the product where I need it (by condensing it inside an airflow tile)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

OK, so what I'm hearing is "there is nothing as simple as a chest freezer, but colder" :v:

It kind of is pretty simple, simple enough you can luck into it, but also enough that if you do it backwards you will have all sorts of trouble.
(This is for chilling H/O so supercoolant based, but the chamber design principles are exactly the same)

It is 6 tiles high so there are 2 thermal zones using shift plates, no direct thermal connectivity between these zones. The top area (yellow hatched) has the vent, and this corner will be the warmest spot. the lower area is half filled in with tiles, and there are 2 shiftplates in each area giving it a bunch of thermal mass. That just makes it behave smoother, and generally be more stable in action. The main thing is the coldest point, where the coolant enters is the opposite corner to the hot gas entry The coolant pipes are designed to maintain the pool at the bottom, and then by definition it will be cold enough as it goes up to hopefully precipitate some more gas.

For the pre-space sour gas, you will need a fair bit of cooling still, I was using ~7 regulators + an aquatuner to handle about 700g/s.

Here's what mine looks like now, ripped out all the hydrogen cooling, replaced with more generators, and a single aquatuner with supercoolant barely ticking over. Bah!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

How does the interplanetary payload launcher work? I see it launches 200 kg at a time. What's the time interval between launches, and how do you minimize it?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

How does the interplanetary payload launcher work? I see it launches 200 kg at a time. What's the time interval between launches, and how do you minimize it?

It's powered by rads, and has a 30(?) second cooldown every 5 or so launches. If you're always waiting on Rads, make things glow more. If your rails/pipes are always backed up with the cleaning animation, build another launcher.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OzyMandrill posted:

It kind of is pretty simple, simple enough you can luck into it, but also enough that if you do it backwards you will have all sorts of trouble.
(This is for chilling H/O so supercoolant based, but the chamber design principles are exactly the same)

It is 6 tiles high so there are 2 thermal zones using shift plates, no direct thermal connectivity between these zones. The top area (yellow hatched) has the vent, and this corner will be the warmest spot. the lower area is half filled in with tiles, and there are 2 shiftplates in each area giving it a bunch of thermal mass. That just makes it behave smoother, and generally be more stable in action. The main thing is the coldest point, where the coolant enters is the opposite corner to the hot gas entry The coolant pipes are designed to maintain the pool at the bottom, and then by definition it will be cold enough as it goes up to hopefully precipitate some more gas.

For the pre-space sour gas, you will need a fair bit of cooling still, I was using ~7 regulators + an aquatuner to handle about 700g/s.

Here's what mine looks like now, ripped out all the hydrogen cooling, replaced with more generators, and a single aquatuner with supercoolant barely ticking over. Bah!

This is on the very intricate end of anything I've done, shamefully. I've gotten decent results by switching to ceramic from igneous for my insulated pipes (I always forget ceramic). It's slow but consistent at 100 g/s so not terrible, I guess? I will definitely mess around with making a cold pool at some point for sure though

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

This is on the very intricate end of anything I've done, shamefully. I've gotten decent results by switching to ceramic from igneous for my insulated pipes (I always forget ceramic). It's slow but consistent at 100 g/s so not terrible, I guess? I will definitely mess around with making a cold pool at some point for sure though

Nice. Yeah, keep at it, you'll be amazed how much you can increase the output with some optimization. The main thing that leaps out at me is to avoid putting tempshift plates directly adjacent to insulated tiles. The tempshift plates are sucking heat out of the insulated tiles and into your methane, and they have a ton of thermal mass.

Tempshift plates aside, you might also want to switch to a layer of metal tiles on the floor of the apparatus. The insulated tiles will dump heat into your liquefied gas due to flaking (weird thermal mechanic edge case where conductiivity is ignored and will transfer enough heat to phase-change a small amount of material when it's close to its phase change temperature).

There are lots of other improvements you can make, but these are the issues that tend to cause the biggest "what the gently caress is going wrong" moments

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's funny you mention the tempshift plates because I have avoided putting them next to insulated tiles in my steam rooms for just that reason. I might deconstruct those plates now, but idk.

The flaking thing would definitely explain why my cold boxes never quite get to all-liquid. Maybe I'll trade in for some aluminum tiles and radiant pipes on the floor and see what happens

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Flaking will eventually stop, once the tile is at the boiling point of the liquid above it. It just takes awhile, and only liquid does it (unless you pre-chill with tempshift plates I guess).

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Beetas seem to randomly decide they hate one particular dupe and attack them (suited up). Ruby, you are forbidden to go through that door. Last time you did I had to frantically send someone through the teleporter with seconds to spare. Everyone in a beeta world gets a safety buddy from now on.

The interplanetary launchers are fun. Forgot the steel/thermium/glass for a colony you're setting up? No problem, it'll be there shortly. I'm just setting up an automated colony to unpack food shells, feed it for resin, drop the resin into a tungsten volcano tamer set to stay between 130 and 150. Then shoot the products back.

It's a neat and not very finicky.

I will not be taming the niobium volcano. Too finicky for too little benefit. I've already got enough that I don't have to work about losing half when I dig it out.

I suppose I could make a long enough blade to drop packets under its tile threshold into a big tank of water in the cold biome, and keep that pool actively cooled. Worth a shot I guess.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 3, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So yeah, you're cooling the whole space, but you have the incoming heat right where the coldest spot is too, so the hydrogen will be too warm by the time it gets to the far end.
To fix it, just have warm vent at the far left, so the cold will increase to the right. The radiant pipes/hydrogen then travel right to left, so the coldest spot is right by the pump, and get rid of all but 2 shift plates, one at each end - no overlap of their areas. The way they pull/push heat into insulated tiles is a bit of a pain, but it's not going to cripple you, especially as you have double walls and it will eventually reach an equilibrium.

E: Here is a rough sketch blueprint for a more optimised version with minimal changes:

E2: Just due to the way ONI sorts gases to top left, it would be ever so slightly more stable if it was flipped horizontally. With this, you could get natural gas trapped in the top left that never gets condensed. Eh.. maybe that's enough reason not to raise the vent up like I did, not sure.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

I will not be taming the niobium volcano. Too finicky for too little benefit. I've already got enough that I don't have to work about losing half when I dig it out.

I suppose I could make a long enough blade to drop packets under its tile threshold into a big tank of water in the cold biome, and keep that pool actively cooled. Worth a shot I guess.

This is actually impossible. The tile forming threshold of liquid niobium is smaller than the smallest drip you can make without using a pump. So the options seem to be:

-mesh tile teleport
-liquid pump above the liquid
-pitcher pump + bottle emptier
-robo miner setup

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OzyMandrill posted:

So yeah, you're cooling the whole space, but you have the incoming heat right where the coldest spot is too, so the hydrogen will be too warm by the time it gets to the far end.
To fix it, just have warm vent at the far left, so the cold will increase to the right. The radiant pipes/hydrogen then travel right to left, so the coldest spot is right by the pump, and get rid of all but 2 shift plates, one at each end - no overlap of their areas. The way they pull/push heat into insulated tiles is a bit of a pain, but it's not going to cripple you, especially as you have double walls and it will eventually reach an equilibrium.

E: Here is a rough sketch blueprint for a more optimised version with minimal changes:

E2: Just due to the way ONI sorts gases to top left, it would be ever so slightly more stable if it was flipped horizontally. With this, you could get natural gas trapped in the top left that never gets condensed. Eh.. maybe that's enough reason not to raise the vent up like I did, not sure.

Interesting. Originally I was only cooling the right side. The reason I cooled the whole room was that I figured it was sucking heat out of the door on the far side. I also tried rolling with the vent on top of the cooling plates because i figured that would max temp transfer. Or something.

It would figure if ONI sorts to top left because I tend to build left to right like this. Not sure why, just how my brain works. Like to the point of needing real effort to reverse operations. Brains are dumb and bad, never have one IMO :v:

This is the update from last night and it's rock steady at -170 and 100 g/s. The ceramic insulated pipe was the big difference overall. I'm used to thinking about heat handling for hot things but those deltas get vicious at low temps too. Right now this is still making way more natural gas than I need so my coal generators are totally disabled. Hydrogen is doing a lot of lifting too, even though it's limited by the amount of oxygen I can use at the moment. An oxylite refinery is in the near future...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Adenoid Dan posted:

Beetas seem to randomly decide they hate one particular dupe and attack them (suited up). Ruby, you are forbidden to go through that door. Last time you did I had to frantically send someone through the teleporter with seconds to spare. Everyone in a beeta world gets a safety buddy from now on.
I’ve seen this happen when the dupe in question was (suited and) inside the beeta area when the game was loaded. A save/restart fixed it for me.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Panty Saluter posted:

This is the update from last night and it's rock steady at -170 and 100 g/s. The ceramic insulated pipe was the big difference overall. I'm used to thinking about heat handling for hot things but those deltas get vicious at low temps too. Right now this is still making way more natural gas than I need so my coal generators are totally disabled. Hydrogen is doing a lot of lifting too, even though it's limited by the amount of oxygen I can use at the moment. An oxylite refinery is in the near future...

Nice! I've been finding chilling tiles much more effective than just a radiant pipe in the air, possibly that 25x conduction thing again I'm not certain.
If you want to eliminate any leakage through the doors, put an electric airlock in the middle, and when its sealed up, use automation to close then open it to destroy any gas and leave a perfect vacuum.
And you can always just vent spare O2 to space. I know it feels wrong, but when its the hydrogen you really want...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have that problem solved (self sealing airlocks mod)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah, that'd do it! I lost a colony to a mod going stale so I try to avoid ones that change anything physical now :(
The tile thing reminds me, when I was doing the heat recovery for the sulphur, the track inside a tile exchanges so much faster than track in gas, so I suspect radiant pipe->tile and tile->whatever is the more efficient way to chill stuff. I just love the way you can use stuff like this to make small but crucial tweaks to these things - material choice, heat flow, etc.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve seen this happen when the dupe in question was (suited and) inside the beeta area when the game was loaded. A save/restart fixed it for me.

I've heard of that, but this happened in the middle of two different sessions (I have also been getting "fleeing" alerts for quite a while which I think were the same thing. All the pinchies on my map are contained to avoid this).

I am gonna give it a few more tries though out of curiosity.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OzyMandrill posted:

Ah, that'd do it! I lost a colony to a mod going stale so I try to avoid ones that change anything physical now :(
The tile thing reminds me, when I was doing the heat recovery for the sulphur, the track inside a tile exchanges so much faster than track in gas, so I suspect radiant pipe->tile and tile->whatever is the more efficient way to chill stuff. I just love the way you can use stuff like this to make small but crucial tweaks to these things - material choice, heat flow, etc.

Yeah I just found out gold is terrible for chilling too. This game just has too much poo poo in it

Also, is anyone on the beta? Have your dupes been running past atmo suit checkpoints?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm. I was annoyed to realize I built my base in a way that rocket scraping the neutronium on the sides would be very inconvenient (critical infrastructure is in the way). I think I will try cooling my infinite nuclear waste storage until it forms a 250 ton (maybe much more by now) solid tile and machine gun the outcrops down. I think each radbolt removes 1 gram off of natural tiles including neutronium. So that is I think 20,000,000 radbolts to clear one tile.

It will take quite a long time to cool that block to solidify it using only diagonal tempshift plates on the bottom corners and a cooling loop, but since they're airflow tiles maybe running cooled gas past and into space would help.

I have ridiculous quantities of water so I'm already carelessly venting large quantities of oxygen from electrolyzers anyway.

Edit: With some very brief math even in a good radbolt setup I might destroy a single tile that way. So that's a maybe

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Adenoid Dan posted:

Hmmm. I was annoyed to realize I built my base in a way that rocket scraping the neutronium on the sides would be very inconvenient (critical infrastructure is in the way). I think I will try cooling my infinite nuclear waste storage until it forms a 250 ton (maybe much more by now) solid tile and machine gun the outcrops down. I think each radbolt removes 1 gram off of natural tiles including neutronium. So that is I think 20,000,000 radbolts to clear one tile.

It will take quite a long time to cool that block to solidify it using only diagonal tempshift plates on the bottom corners and a cooling loop, but since they're airflow tiles maybe running cooled gas past and into space would help.

I have ridiculous quantities of water so I'm already carelessly venting large quantities of oxygen from electrolyzers anyway.

Edit: With some very brief math even in a good radbolt setup I might destroy a single tile that way. So that's a maybe

Yeah, it works like that. I've never tried it outside of sandbox mode in which you can spawn in neutronium tiles with significantly less mass.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2022

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I figure people might like to see my thought process/development on drecko farms. My first ones were tall and thin, designed to fit two in a block. I've been playing on Rime maps because I love the heat sinkability and having access to the Metal Rich modifier, rather than keeping the food cool enough, keeping them warm enough is the challenge. I've been handling that with Space Heaters instead of a central heating loop for the moment -- I know I could just dig down towards the core and find plenty of heat, but this start was also Nonstandard Pod Location so I wasn't sure how far down it was (and it turns out it was farther than to the surface).

The main thing on my mind in most of these is making sure that they fit into my grid of other room types. Since the Rime asteroid is so cold everywhere, they basically have to be built up rather than making use of the environment, so I wanted them to fit in so I could set up other rooms around them.

First one I built, to get off the ground -- I think of this one as the V2 model. The shape is a little weird and it overhanging into one of my main trunks is actually a big problem, but there was some reason for it when it was built. The main flaw here is that I seriously underestimated how much food supply space I'd need, so the dreckos are seriously underproducing. That's also a problem that's quite hard to solve since this is a 96 size already and there's a bunch of piping infrastructure for the oxygen machine to the right. Also the automation in the places where it is proved useless.

That said, I actually like this quite a bit overall for a few reasons, the big one being that it's actually quite good at heat regulation. The tile in there is Igneous, and with the heaters up at the top it means that it's actually quite good at keeping hotter up top without heating up the bottom level too much. It also has plenty of room up top for the dreckos to run around in the hydrogen, and spent a LONG-rear end time without the pressure needing to be tweaked. It got a lot better when it was adjusted...

Like so! Since these are regular Dreckos and not the Glossy ones, the food problem gets solved by just cramming some Pincha Pepperplants into the top with the heaters rearranged. Sweeping automation set up for not the WHOLE thing but most of it, by bumping up the "roof" over the Mealwood. The whole thing works much better now, and if it wasn't for it being one tile too far to the left I'd probably just leave this one like it is forever.

The Glossy farms, V3 on the bottom and V4 above. V3 is a bit of a bust -- it works alright, but it got set up that way to try and fit into a specific space with the access corridor underneath after I scrapped building more V2s in the same area. Constant pressure problems from the bottom-side hatch, inaccessible area due to having to really work to get it down to 96 tiles, not a lot of hydrogen space. Plenty of food, though -- more than I need for that population.

V4 I took a look at the example farm on the Wiki, along with some of the other provided examples, and tweaked it to fit the space and situation. I really like how it turned out. Good food supply, enough room on the left to use Heaters instead of a cooling/heating loop, no inaccessible spaces, automation works, atmosphere control works, fast access for grooming and shearing. Going to be using this one going forward.

Also, as a bonus, the process of melting ice for feedwater. Takes a long time to set up and longer to get going to temperature, but produces more water in the end. It also lets me easily dump heat -- I've been supplying these pipes with the Metal Smelter and it's soaked basically all the excess heat I've had to dump so far -- and also gives me ready-prepared insulated spaces that are heated up to room temperatures. This one turned into my chlorine room, for instance.

I'm still working on transitioning to steam power and am getting a headache trying to figure out transit tubes, but hey, I'm in no rush. Havin' fun developing and seeing what works and what doesn't.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Who's got a good research reactor setup? That thing is so good, the ability to massively ramp up the amount of heat produced by coolant-starving the reactor is fantastic.

On the coolant-starving note though, the wiki says you can run the reactor with the fuel at 2000C to get 10x the heat, but wouldn't this cause the nuclear waste to immediately flash to nuclear fallout, destroying 96% of the recoverable heat in the process?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

reactor on top, steam chamber below works way better than what feels right when doing steam turbine stuff. The waste comes out as a non-tile drip just like the superheated water and only starts existing properly once it falls to the "ground", which should actually be a pool of nuclear waste for it to average it's temp into instead of flashing to gas. CLRRs are absolutely amazing... when they don't explode. I gave up running them at near their max potential on my computer due to ONI miscalculating what was happening moment-by-moment when i switched away to space or w/e. Still a beast for very little work though, once you have the bees

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 4, 2022

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

HolHorsejob posted:

Who's got a good research reactor setup? That thing is so good, the ability to massively ramp up the amount of heat produced by coolant-starving the reactor is fantastic.

On the coolant-starving note though, the wiki says you can run the reactor with the fuel at 2000C to get 10x the heat, but wouldn't this cause the nuclear waste to immediately flash to nuclear fallout, destroying 96% of the recoverable heat in the process?

No, the droplets reactor spits out can't phase change until they're on the ground. Just drip it into a pool of waste to buffer the heat.
You could run a reactor extra-hot, but even in normal mode you need 9-10 turbines: 7-8 to delete the heat of the reactor and another 1-2 for the heat turbines leak and get cooled by aquatuner.
You'll need a pretty absurd number of turbines to make use of extra heat.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's very straightforward to use if you've ever used steam turbines. I like to leave room for extra turbines and stick some industrial machinery in there, as well as extra aquatuners for miscellaneous cooling. It's a good place for the diamond press and radbolt generators to go with it.

Francis John's design is a good one if you want an example, and you can modify it however you need to.

Next time I will leave room to the side in case I want a double reactor setup. Or maybe I should just try the coolant limiting thing.

The reactor on top design also makes it much easier to irradiate plants for mutants. You can get around 3k beside the reactor wall with insulated tile.

I'm definitely getting a reactor much sooner next game.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The flipped start asteroid is mostly annoying as there's no uranium in the starting linked asteroids, so by the time I've colonised the third one enough to consider automated sending uranium back, I've already got a sour gas boiler and all the power I need. If I had got uranium and bees I would have made a reactor instead and barely touched oil.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

OzyMandrill posted:

The flipped start asteroid is mostly annoying as there's no uranium in the starting linked asteroids, so by the time I've colonised the third one enough to consider automated sending uranium back, I've already got a sour gas boiler and all the power I need. If I had got uranium and bees I would have made a reactor instead and barely touched oil.

I have unlimited oil but I still went for uranium because the oil is a pain in the rear end to manage. Also payload Launcher is killer

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Does anything outperform single-rail regolith melter in a single machine? If I hated my CPU cycles even more I'd run all 85 stone hatches from the output, and a further like 100 molten slicksters from the combined coal generator CO2 + petroleum generator CO2. Hell, let's add 12 sage hatches living off the spare meat my dupes can't eat from that setup.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Interesting thing about cooling...

These condensors work lovely, until the pool rises out the bottom pit and touches the insulated tiles at the side. They didnt interfere with the gas phase, but with liquid, they transfer heat like nobodies business, and keep reboiling the liquid hydrogen/oxygen until the insulated tile drops low enough, and being insulated it takes a few cycles. You can see on the right-hand one it has filled, and the insulated tiles are chilled down. On the left it has only just started chilling the tiles, and so the liquid hydrogen can't get deeper as the overlap just seems to start oscillating around 5kg, once it goes over a heat transfer occurs and the excess boils off.
I'm wondering if lining it with regular tiles, or even airflow tiles would stop this.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Maybe airflow tiles for the inner layer and vacuum it out? seems like once the temp stabilizes you wouldn't have much transfer at all. might have to put that theory to the test later.

also, this madness https://youtu.be/3XTRC8C4u70

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

OzyMandrill posted:

Interesting thing about cooling...

These condensors work lovely, until the pool rises out the bottom pit and touches the insulated tiles at the side. They didnt interfere with the gas phase, but with liquid, they transfer heat like nobodies business, and keep reboiling the liquid hydrogen/oxygen until the insulated tile drops low enough, and being insulated it takes a few cycles. You can see on the right-hand one it has filled, and the insulated tiles are chilled down. On the left it has only just started chilling the tiles, and so the liquid hydrogen can't get deeper as the overlap just seems to start oscillating around 5kg, once it goes over a heat transfer occurs and the excess boils off.
I'm wondering if lining it with regular tiles, or even airflow tiles would stop this.

Flaking in action. The 5 kg mark is the threshold for the effect to start or stop, I forget which.

The easiest way to manage it is use metal tiles with low SHC backed by insulated tiles. it'll still flake, but for like 1/16" as much total heat and far faster from the conductivity of metal.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Iron should be high SHC, shouldn't it? if we're keeping with real life, at least. iron has been good for things that need to stay at temp and dont need rapid heating/cooling, IME

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

Iron should be high SHC, shouldn't it? if we're keeping with real life, at least. iron has been good for things that need to stay at temp and dont need rapid heating/cooling, IME

Ideally, yeah. A lot of ways to skin this cat really. I'm suggesting a low-shc metal like lead because it gets the flaking out of the way and gets to temperature quickly. Once you've established a pool with hundreds of kilos of liquid O2/H2, it'll have enough thermal mass to stabilize the system, especially if you have tempshift plates to spread the heat effectively between the cells of gas and liquid.

The thing that makes these systems a pain to build is that all the different thermal interactions (tile-tile, gas-tile, liquid-tile) have different multipliers when heat transfer is calculated. Throw in flaking and the interactions with buildings, and it becomes really non-intuitive and prone to wide temperature swings and boiling where there shouldn't be boiling, if you don't know which interaction is driving heat transfer. There's an entry in the wiki on heat transfer that I highly recommend reading if you're building gas condensers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I don't know what it is but I just...cannot mentally handle the shift to multiple bases. Every time I try I'll get to the point with my first base, send a dupe through the teleporter...and feel my brain reject everything.

I do just fine in other games. Anno 1800 has the player bouncing between regions and I'm fine with it.

Maybe I need to go back to the "classical" map gen with the bigger starter asteroid.