Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Cabbages and Kings posted:

haha, Squarp's new hotness is the Hapax which is not very available right now. So if I want to kill off my PC daw I need to do a bunch of learning about pyramid vs hapax vs other options in the $500-1k price range. I just want the best and simplest sequencing experience for sounds, noise generation and built in drum machines etc matter a lot less. That said, the Deluge might do everything I want too.

any opinion on the relatively new Hapax also from Squarp?

I'm happy with the pyramid but I have it already and am not looking.
On paper it looks like about as a platonic ideal of a domain specific hardware device targeting a hybrid sequencing environment aimed at people who distinctly detest thinking machines. Their previous efforts placed in a crucible with a modern clip-launch padfield form factor.
Everything does everything you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Hail
Hail
Hail unending

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b43mApyUOE
Pg666 posting hail satin

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the squarp is awesome and if i needed to control a big daisy chain of midi gear i would probably get one. i also have 2 different QYs already tho

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have a sudden and compelling desire for a Waldorf Iridium.

Hail Satan

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

The Pyramid rules and the only real downside for me (aside from the learning curve) is that everything I record anymore is 2-5 instruments sequenced together live and one-tracked to the computer. I miss the flexibility of multi-track recording, but I no longer have patience for tinkering around in a DAW when I can have everything playing live. Doing things this way also makes me want more instruments for the live setup despite knowing drat well I could cover the same ground doing multiple passes with the devices I already own. I do have to thank the Hapax though for driving down the cost of the Pyramid. I don't think I'd own one otherwise.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Hail satan!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Hail Satan. Hail Frankie the Tortoise.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 4, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Synth… cat?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
hail satan

Rolo posted:

Synth… cat?

cathinones are ugh

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Timbre Turtle

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

posting on The Page

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
nice deck saver

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

As much as I love my Rample, I wish Squarp had chosen a brand name that doesn't sound like onomatopoeia for diarrhea.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RocketMermaid posted:

As much as I love my Rample, I wish Squarp had chosen a brand name that doesn't sound like onomatopoeia for diarrhea.

Still better than Fluance stereo equipment, IMO

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

petit choux posted:

Still better than Fluance stereo equipment, IMO

My teenagers continue to find it hilarious to refer to the turntable as the "Flatulence" brand.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone ever use an Omnichord or Q-Chord in their setups?

Lately I've been super inspired by some friends' live synth projects, and putting something together has been on my mind. I actually had a really intense dream last night where I'd cooked up some messy live setup with some of the gear I have (Virus, TB3, KP3) a sequencer, and a loving Omnichord plugged into my guitar/bass amps (Ampeg BA210 and Orange Crush 20RT).

Maybe the dream was about my deep-seated fear of trying to learn a stringed instrument, but in any case I've been looking around on YouTube to see if there's anyone doing that kind of thing. There's a lot of great ambient shoegaze stuff but in my cursory searching it doesn't really sound like the timbre handles distortion and fuzz very well, so not necessarily my jam.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Maybe consider a Linnstrument?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Omnichords are really fun, easy to play and mellow timbres

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Build a Le Strum

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

im_sorry posted:

You're never going to get that cat off the synth if you keep storing jars of catnip on there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The catnip is how you sequence the LFC (low frequency cat).

I haven't tried a LFT yet, seems like sweeps would be extremely slow.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My cats are like a square wave lfo.
2 states:
sleep & zoom

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My next-door neighbor was a crazy cat lady and she passed away last week, and her nephew's been charged with cleaning out the place. They just put a foot-powered organ in the dumpster. It's a shambles and probably doesn't work, but is there anything really worthwhile to save out of an organ that's 100+ years old?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 5, 2022

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It might have pre-CITES ban ivory on the keys.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

It might have pre-CITES ban ivory on the keys.

It was once a nice-looking organ with about 6 stops each with its own -- button, plunger, what do you call that. Anyway, it's mostly ruined but I was thinking of pulling out the keys or those handmade stops.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

how are the pipes?
They might be worth having just on their own.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

im_sorry posted:

Lake doggo

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Gotta post on the page of turtles and sin

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Hail Satin

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I have one of these waiting to be built. Too bad there’s no way I’ll have it done before we get off page 666 :unsmigghh:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

bottoms up and the devil laughs

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God, that reminds me that I saw a video of a godeater bass distortion module and have been trying to find one that doesn’t cost $texas

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I have one of these waiting to be built. Too bad there’s no way I’ll have it done before we get off page 666 :unsmigghh:

I really want one of these myself. How hard does the kit look? I've done complicated thru-hole (Befaco Rampage and Burst) but no SMD yet.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

I really want one of these myself. How hard does the kit look? I've done complicated thru-hole (Befaco Rampage and Burst) but no SMD yet.

It's thru-hole and the trickiest thing about it appears to be some vertical resistors and diodes, which isn't bad.

https://zlobmodular.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/vnicursal_v666_builddocs-compressed.pdf

As far a Zlob builds go, the trickiest thing about them is the perpendicular PCBs, but the VnIcursal VCA PCBs are parallel, like a normal module. I never built a Rampage or Burst, but I don't imagine this would be harder than either of those.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Synth Satan :rock:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mister Speaker posted:

Does anyone ever use an Omnichord or Q-Chord in their setups?

I finally picked up a Q-Chord last month, but I haven't had the time to fully integrate it yet. The MIDI isn't as robust as I was hoping, but I'm thinking that the built-in sounds could shine with just a pinch of effects.

Is there anything you'd like me to try out and report back?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

So Math posted:

I finally picked up a Q-Chord last month, but I haven't had the time to fully integrate it yet. The MIDI isn't as robust as I was hoping, but I'm thinking that the built-in sounds could shine with just a pinch of effects.

Is there anything you'd like me to try out and report back?

Cool! Thank you :)

I'm really curious how it performs with overdrive, fuzz, aggressive stuff. Maybe the Q-Chord has a preset that handles fuzz much more like a guitar, but none of the videos I've seen have really explored that side of it. Like I said, it's mostly been shoegaze/ambient stuff, where it really seems to shine. I want to know if it's got grit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Mister Speaker posted:

Cool! Thank you :)

Sure! I'll try some combinations over the weekend. I can tell you right now that the Q-Chord's sound engine is basically that of a general midi keyboard. There are 100 different voices of varying quality.

I won't promise that I'll record all of them, but I'll try to see if any take the effects well.