Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I guess all 50 state supreme courts have sent an amicus brief telling SCOTUS to not rule in favor of the NC Republicans.

Yeah, so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I guess all 50 state supreme courts have sent an amicus brief telling SCOTUS to not rule in favor of the NC Republicans.

You think they care? This is the culmination of a 30 year project. The GOP has to deal somehow with the uncomfortable fact that in every election except one since 1992 they have lost the popular vote. They could A) Change the party and become more acceptable to the people or B) change the system so they are always in power.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
They technically won it in 2004 but that was by leaning on some all-time-high patriotism highs for an incumbent (and ignoring Diebold's CEO openly talking about securing the election for Bush).

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

They technically won it in 2004 but that was by leaning on some all-time-high patriotism highs for an incumbent (and ignoring Diebold's CEO openly talking about securing the election for Bush).

Yeah, thats the one I was referring too. Every other election in the past 30 years the democrats won the popular election. Same for aggregate senate and house seats too if i remember correctly.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cimber posted:

Yeah, thats the one I was referring too. Every other election in the past 30 years the democrats won the popular election. Same for aggregate senate and house seats too if i remember correctly.

The past 34 years! They lost the popular vote in 1992 by nearly 6 million.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Fuschia tude posted:

The past 34 years! They lost the popular vote in 1992 by nearly 6 million.

Clinton - 44M
Bush - 39M
Perot - 19M

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cimber posted:

Clinton - 44M
Bush - 39M
Perot - 19M

Yes. Sorry, by "they" I was referring to the GOP, as you stated things in your first post.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey. A religion vs homosexuality case the Supreme Court didn't trample all over itself to see how they could justify something horrific.

Of course, the religion in question is Orthodox Judaism, so maybe it doesn't count?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-says-orthodox-jewish-university-must-recognize-lgbtq-gro-rcna45272

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

killer_robot posted:

Oh hey. A religion vs homosexuality case the Supreme Court didn't trample all over itself to see how they could justify something horrific.

Of course, the religion in question is Orthodox Judaism, so maybe it doesn't count?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-says-orthodox-jewish-university-must-recognize-lgbtq-gro-rcna45272

Of course it doesn't.

Just a couple of years ago, even before Barrett was on the court, they ruled (in the same session!) that a Muslim pending state execution did not need to have an imam present, and then a couple months later granted a Buddhist demanding a Buddhist spiritual advisor be present a stay of execution, saying he needed to have his request fulfilled. The only difference is Muslims are icky, apparently.

The only religion that actually counts is Christianity; they can discriminate as much as they want, but no one else can, and no one is allowed to even imply Christians have anything less than superior status, either.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

killer_robot posted:

Bit of a technicality here, since the reason it got kicked out was procedural. If it made it up to SCOTUS in the "normal" course, wouldn't be surprised to see a different result. Orthodox Jews are definitely "inside the tent" for most of the conservative movement's purposes, so I'd be shocked if they didn't get some bones thrown their way. They've already got Alito 100% on side, which seems like a good omen for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HannibalBarca posted:

Bit of a technicality here, since the reason it got kicked out was procedural. If it made it up to SCOTUS in the "normal" course, wouldn't be surprised to see a different result. Orthodox Jews are definitely "inside the tent" for most of the conservative movement's purposes, so I'd be shocked if they didn't get some bones thrown their way. They've already got Alito 100% on side, which seems like a good omen for them.
Yeah one of the justices indicated that they believed the college would win on the merits but that for procedural reasons they wouldn’t take the case now

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So entities with sincerely held religious beliefs can decide
a) What medicines an employee can take
b) What treatments an employee can take
c) What doctors an employee can see

and soon up
d) If they can legally descriminate against an individual based on their gender, sexual identity and perhaps even race.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If honor killings were a big part of Christianity I would expect this court to issue a ruling that those are ok when the person doing the killing is doing so for the white reason and their victim was one of those people.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

If honor killings were a big part of Christianity I would expect this court to issue a ruling that those are ok when the person doing the killing is doing so for the white reason and their victim was one of those people.

Isn't there a state steaming ahead with a "shoot people getting abortions" law?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cimber posted:

So entities with sincerely held religious beliefs can decide
a) What medicines an employee can take
b) What treatments an employee can take
c) What doctors an employee can see

and soon up
d) If they can legally descriminate against an individual based on their gender, sexual identity and perhaps even race.
I mean yeah, the Hobby Lobby case opened the door to this bullshit

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The RFRA was a mistake. Though even without it we'd still have these god awful decisions because Domionists give no fucks about anything but control.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

The RFRA was a mistake. Though even without it we'd still have these god awful decisions because Domionists give no fucks about anything but control.
It absolutely was, but yeah they would just find a way to work around federal law

I mean they gutted the VRA and dared Congress to fix the law, knowing that they wouldn’t

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Honest Elections Project everyone:

https://twitter.com/EthanHerenstein/status/1570406812658335746?s=20&t=5isMgnpRSvRHTZ4d8bt2xQ

quote:

Those documents were sealed for decades following ratification. This created a vacuum in the historical record, into which Pinckney strode. In 1818, when the government was gathering records from the Convention for publication, Pinckney submitted a document that, he claimed, represented his original plan. It was uncannily similar to the U.S. Constitution.

James Madison, one of the main authors of the Constitution, was “perplexed” when he saw Pinckney’s document. He was “perfectly confident” that it was “not the draft originally presented to the convention by Mr. Pinckney.” Some of Pinckney’s text, Madison observed, was impossibly similar to the final text of the U.S. Constitution, which was painstakingly debated over the course of months. There was no way Pinckney could have anticipated those passages verbatim. In addition, Madison was quick to point out, many provisions were diametrically opposed to Pinckney’s well-known views. Most telling, the draft proposed direct election of federal representatives, whereas Pinckney had loudly insisted that state legislatures choose them. Madison included a detailed refutation of Pinckney’s document along with the rest of his copious notes from the Convention. It was the genteel, 19th-century equivalent of calling BS.

We’ll never know for certain why Pinckney concocted this fraud. Many scholars assume he was trying to sell himself to history as the true father of the Constitution. Whatever Pinckney’s motivation, though, nearly every serious historian agrees that the 1818 document is a fake. John Franklin Jameson, an early president of the American Historical Association, observed back in 1903, “The so-called draft has been so utterly discredited that no instructed person will use it as it stands as a basis for constitutional or historical reasoning.” Since then, the document has become, in the words of a modern-day researcher, “probably the most intractable constitutional con in history.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

“The so-called draft has been so utterly discredited that no instructed person will use it as it stands as a basis for constitutional or historical reasoning.”

So what I'm getting from this is the court will rule this document is the real constitution

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

So what I'm getting from this is the court will rule this document is the real constitution

Whatever the SCOTUS says is real is real. Who's going to stop them? Biden? Congress?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Whatever gets Samuel Alito closer to his dream of getting to legally shoot and kill non-Christians is what will drive this jurisprudence.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whatever the SCOTUS says is real is real. Who's going to stop them? Biden? Congress?

Technically they could, which is all the more reason to come to the only logical conclusion that they are complicit when they do gently caress all.

vvvvvv fixed typo

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 25, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Complicit?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so did they stop looking for the leaker of the Dobbs opinion?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Jan 6th committee is going to interview Ginni Thomas so I'm sure they'll let us know

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 25, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

The Supreme Court has reportedly formed a committee to look into it. A couple of justices have said this month that the report with their conclusions will be finished "soon", but other than that they've been very tight-lipped about it. And the media largely doesn't give a poo poo until the actual results come out; the only media outlets laser-focused on every tidbit of news about the probe are Fox News and National Review.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The Onion filed an amicus in Novak v. City of Parma, Ohio and it’s amazing: https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...cus%20Brief.pdf

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
A lot of liberals say that banning abortion is really about controlling women, but how so? If it's about men controlling women, where is the control?

If it was really about controlling women, I imagine conservatives would propose a loophole in a ban that says the abortion can happen if the husband or father allows it. Sometimes the man wants the abortion too. Like, imagine you're a man from a conservative religious community and your daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock. That can be really embarrassing. Maybe you want your daughter to get an abortion so as to save face. Or maybe you want your wife to get an abortion because having a baby right now would derail your career. But I never hear conservatives talk about this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kurzon posted:

A lot of liberals say that banning abortion is really about controlling women, but how so? If it's about men controlling women, where is the control?

If it was really about controlling women, I imagine conservatives would propose a loophole in a ban that says the abortion can happen if the husband or father allows it. Sometimes the man wants the abortion too. Like, imagine you're a man from a conservative religious community and your daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock. That can be really embarrassing. Maybe you want your daughter to get an abortion so as to save face. Or maybe you want your wife to get an abortion because having a baby right now would derail your career. But I never hear conservatives talk about this.

That's literally already what they do. Conservatives still get abortions.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Yeah, but they have to be sneaky about it. Why don't they propose it be in law?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurzon posted:

Things being "embarrassing" or requiring one to "save face" are methods of control. Requiring that a man be involved in the process, for his own social standing's sake, means men control women

But aside from that, they don't have to say these things because they don't have to put up a coherent or internally consistent set of policies. They've built a culture where everyone who hears their call for a universal abortion ban can tell themselves they'll benefit from selective enforcement and a social code of silence (you wouldn't want to be the reason your friend's daughter gets embarrassed or has to save face, right?). They can thus appeal to the groups who really do support a universal ban without alienating the ones who recognize practical reality

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a part of "we are legally controlling things that would otherwise fall under the purview of autonomy" where it's not clear that the restriction of autonomy is thus control?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If I were to incarcerate you, I'd be controlling you.

It's the same when a country like ours goes out of its way to lock half of the population out of the ability to exercise their corporeal autonomy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kurzon posted:

Because this only allows control over women directly related to them and that's not the goal

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kurzon posted:

They do
Proposed U.S. law would force women seeking abortions to get partner permission

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kurzon posted:

In addition to all the other responses you've gotten on this topic, I'll add that the plausible deniability they have right now is extremely politically useful. A lot of people in this country think that the religious faction driving the curtailment of reproductive rights genuinely, truly cares about the lives of fetuses, and proposing a law like that would cause that support to evaporate overnight.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They also want to live in a society where the laws protect but not bind them, and bind and not protect everyone else. Same thinking behind the only moral abortion is my abortion and the like.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kurzon posted:

The law does not bind the conservative base, so you have to read any ban as having an "except for with the consent of a white man" clause. Probably half the white men you know have illegal machineguns, for instance.

slurm fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 4, 2022

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Thank you. So some conservatives do propose this, though it doesn't seem like a major talking point.

We hear stories about women being forced to carry their rapist's baby to term. Who benefits from this? Not the rapist, the baby is evidence of his crime. Not the woman's family. And not woman. The only person who benefits is the fetus itself, if you buy the notion that the fetus is a human being.

slurm posted:

The law does not bind the conservative base, so you have to read any ban as having an "except for with the consent of a white man" clause. Probably have the white men you know have illegal machineguns, for instance.
How is race relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kurzon posted:

It's about punishing women for the crime of having sex.