Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DS2 had that needle (or was it a laser?) going into Isaac's eye section that was super gnarly. I don't remember much of that game but I'll always remember that part. Didn't DS2 also have an unkillable Nemesis type enemy that followed you around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They both had the unkillable necromorph though the one in 2 only shows up right near the end iirc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

When people make the alien/aliens comparisons I would like to ask them a. why they feel that way and b. how long it's been since they have played both of the games.

Well, like I said, the devs themselves made that comparison, so it was what they were aiming for

But in general, in DS1 Isaac feels less powerful and more stressed in than DS2. He's clunky and awkward and acting out of fear and confusion just like you are. Things happen *to* him and he survives by the skin of his teeth, and despite his gear not because of it. Whereas in 2 he's more agile and capable, more initiating and less responding. His armor design is less utilitarian and more lithe and badass. The necromorphs are no longer a mysterious enemy leaping out of the darkness when you least expect it- I mean, they still do that, but Isaac reacts less with surprise and more with taking action. There are more scenarios where he's mowing down a large horde in a brightly lit area, which would be totally out of place in DS1. Old Isaac wouldn't have done the HALO jump, for another thing, or chased down a speeding train with a jetpack, or intentionally blown out an airlock to escape a monster in open space. He generally feels like he has a plan in mind at any given moment.

I haven't played the two games in at least a decade, though, and I may be mixing in parts of DS3 when writing that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I gotta say when actually playing the games none of that really checks out. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just find it fascinating that the way soo many people remember Dead Space and what Dead Space actually is seems to be heavily tinted by rose colored glasses, dating all the way back to when Dead Space 2 came out, and is still a regular part of the conversation today.

It's just so frequent that I hear sentiments about how DS1 is more of a horror game and 2 is more of an action game and I feel like people just don't remember Dead Space 1 very well. Like all of the stuff people are saying about Issacs movement, the enemies etc. is just not true.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ShoogaSlim posted:

appreciate the list and honest answer. for someone who wants to play as many games as possible, i can see the appeal kinda. for me, i play a small handful of games a year and mostly use my ps5 to watch youtube and netflix (thank goodness i paid a lot of money for a big 4k tv!). even with my limited gaming, i have more games in my backlog than i could finish in a few years. i def am not the type to play everything that comes out, and i mainly just focus on the big name titles that are mostly only playable on a playstation console.
it's not even "as many games as possible" it's "i'm old now and don't keep up on these things like i used to." at first, i thought it was going to be just tons of crappy fps/3ps games, and the reason i waited so long before getting game pass. i mean, it definitely has those, but microsoft has figured out what kind of games i like so it'll put roguelike/lites in the recommended section and it does a good job of recommending things in general and i'm finding new things that are fun for me every month. it's also great because i can put things on there my buddies want to try. one of my friends hasn't been able to get an xbox yet but he loves to come over and play flight simulator.

i don't have to feel bad about getting a game and not playing it, or forcing myself to play an un-fun game like RDR2 because i spent money on it. i just delete it and play something else and don't worry about it. i did the vpn trick and got 3 years of game pass ultimate for $120 but even at $15 a month it's an incredible deal. i no longer care about "getting my money's worth" because it's so cheap. i should mention that i have gigabit fiber so downloading is trivial for me but might be an issue for others.

i'm still gonna buy a ps5 just to play returnal, like i got a ps4 pro to play bloodborne

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually felt like DS1 was much scroungier than DS2, i thought i ended encounters with like 8 shots and 2 small health kits more often than i did in the second game

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
It's been a couple months, but I played through 1 and 2 one after the other earlier this year.

1 is like Alien because it's a story about a solitary sole survivor.
2 is like Aliens because the story/stakes expand to include more moving parts and backstory hinted at but not made explicit by the first.

They're both just RE4 IN SPACE, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Huh. Very different experience here. I was always dumping ammo on the ground because I didn't have room for it in my inventory. Plus you can just buy it at the store at any point, but I never really needed to do that.

Tbf I was just using the plasma cutter so it mostly dropped the same ammo type. It was rare I didn't have dozens or even hundreds or rounds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the "exploit" in dead space was only to carry a cutter so you only ever dropped that ammo which i always thought was a dumb gameplay decision

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

It's been a couple months, but I played through 1 and 2 one after the other earlier this year.

1 is like Alien because it's a story about a solitary sole survivor.
2 is like Aliens because the story/stakes expand to include more moving parts and backstory hinted at but not made explicit by the first.

They're both just RE4 IN SPACE, though.

:emptyquote:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Plasma cutter only was like the weirdest 'challenge run' because it made the game easier in a lot of ways. I wouldn't even call it one except they had a special cheevo for it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the "exploit" in dead space was only to carry a cutter so you only ever dropped that ammo which i always thought was a dumb gameplay decision

This is also a good Returnal strat btw. Only unlock the Tachyomatic for Biome 3 boss and Electropylons for the next two and you’re golden

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I will always regret not unlocking the foam finger

I mean, what you have to do to unlock it, I definitely will not regret skipping that, but it sounded so stupid and great

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
similar is Binding of Isaac where you only do the challenge to unlock the duplication rune (the one most likely to break the game) so any time a rune drops it has to be the duplication rune

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The game only dropping ammo for one type of weapon or deciding that you're only going to use one type of weapon for the entire game?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah it's definitely OP

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 4, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

The game only dropping ammo for one type of weapon or deciding that you're only going to use one type of weapon for the entire game?

The game only drops ammo for the guns in your inventory so you can make the economy much easier by only carrying one gun. it was dumb design

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also sell the ammo for the guns you aren't using, just to unbalance it that much more

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The game only drops ammo for the guns in your inventory so you can make the economy much easier by only carrying one gun. it was dumb design

It doesn't only drop ammo types for guns you have. You'll end up with all sorts of ammo you don't need. But it will skew towards PC so you'll end up with a ton of it, and you can also spend all your upgrade points on the cutter to make it beastly. The problem is that the starting weapon is the most fun weapon in the game, and the game doesn't make you do anything to switch it up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the contact beam pwns

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Yea I remember back when I played Dead Space I ended up using the cutter for the whole game. Not because I was trying to optimize it or break it or anything like that, rather I just found it to be the most fun way to kill enemies :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDJNZ9cK1w

Maybe I'm misremembering the original Dead Space but this doesn't look that different. That said, I will still play this because I absolutely loved the OG. I sure hope the remake fixes some parts like the asteroid shooting segment, though.

Callisto looks better.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is dead space full of jump scare bullshit or is it good horror

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

lol at shoogs suggesting gatekeeping humor like it's not a great way to see who is just noise

:thejoke:

fridge corn posted:

The ps3 has no games

exercising your consoletitutional rights i see

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Callisto is dumb I like the dead space team but I want to see what they come up with next, not just "more dead space"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is dead space full of jump scare bullshit or is it good horror

Some of both. There are jump scares, and there are large, spooky areas with poor visibility too. The second game has an all-time great sequence in which you aren't attacked for a fairly lengthy period.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It doesn't only drop ammo types for guns you have. You'll end up with all sorts of ammo you don't need. But it will skew towards PC so you'll end up with a ton of it, and you can also spend all your upgrade points on the cutter to make it beastly. The problem is that the starting weapon is the most fun weapon in the game, and the game doesn't make you do anything to switch it up.

I never played the series so I'm kinda excited about the remake, but drat I hope they take the opportunity to fix that. One of my pet peeves is when the optimal way to play is boring. "Why don't you just ignore the optimal strategy then?" Because at that point I might as well stare at a blank wall and imagine I'm playing a better game. It's the game designer's job to design the game and my job to play the game they designed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Callisto is dumb I like the dead space team but I want to see what they come up with next, not just "more dead space"

nah it looks dope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

butt dickus posted:

[*]the ps5 looks like poo poo and i preemptively bought replacement panels

lmao

winningest gamer

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everything they’ve shown about Callisto so far has been like they’re trying to answer the question of what kind of game would you get if it was designed by a 14 year old boy in the late 90s after watching nothing but Aliens and playing Quake for a month.

“Yeah dude there should be blood and guts everywhere all the time!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Everything they’ve shown about Callisto so far has been like they’re trying to answer the question of what kind of game would you get if it was designed by a 14 year old boy in the late 90s after watching nothing but Aliens and playing Quake for a month.

“Yeah dude there should be blood and guts everywhere all the time!!

i mean that's cool, i dont mind that at all, i just wish it wasn't so totally a dead space game except rebranded. i liked their games, do something new!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I view it as a respectful gently caress you to EA, and I support it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Thanks a lot RE4!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Callisto looks better.
I will get both because I'm a sucker for good space horror

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ShoogaSlim posted:

genuinely curious why some people consider xbox the "better" console

because many people would call the PlayStation 5 “the PiS5”, or “the Failstation 5”
The ps5, despite what Sony will claim, has no games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Callisto looks better.

For sure. I’ve played DS1 so often now that a remake just seems so pointless.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

because many people would call the PlayStation 5 “the PiS5”, or “the Failstation 5”
The ps5, despite what Sony will claim, has no games.

astrobot not havin plat motherfucker right here breakin the rules

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Neither console has games. Except the switch, the goat platform for true gamers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead space remake looks neat but I’m not sure if I’ll wait till it’s like 20 bux or not. Callisto is day one buy for me for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Neither console has games. Except the switch, the goat platform for true gamers

Checks out