Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fellblade posted:

The intro to Brothers of the Snake where Priad turns up to stop the Dark Eldar raiding this agri-world and the governor is like “When are the rest coming?”. :allears:
I really need to track that down at some point.

ETA: gently caress it, just did. :getin:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Badly Jester posted:

It's all just so laughably bad. The Space Wolves are simultaneously fearless and relentless warriors, but are absolutely routed by a bunch of orks that outmaneuvered them. Arjac nearly wets his TDA during that battle. Their entire leadership, including Grimnar, consists of ornery toddlers. But the prose... I literally just opened the book at random and picked something. It's not even the worst part or anything:

‘Seldom has butchery been so easy,’ boasted Lenthe as he eviscerated a thrashing defence trooper. Unsheathing his claws from his victim, the Night Lord waved a hand towards the gutted and decapitated corpses littering the corridor. ‘Their defence seems ill-prepared and random. Had they met us in force, the challenge would have been greater.’ ‘They are weak because they do not understand the nature of their foe,’ crowed Keslos, jump pack bright as he landed next to Ektovar. ‘They reckon not with the power of the terrorstorm.’

In conclusion, I have no idea how or why I finished this book. Brainworms, probably.

Power Of The Terrorstorm is my new band side project.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shockeh posted:

Gloryhammer has an album titled Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex so pretty close.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Shockeh posted:

40k characters need to be in scenarios that are essentially high-concept Metal Album covers but without speaking it out loud.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Someone did a Night Lords themed metal track recently.
It's an okay track tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSa4M553XT8

Also a 40k friend of mine who likes Dark Eldar was not too pleased with that part in Brothers of the Snake.
Meanwhile I found it okay, but then I don't have my for Space Marine books.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Demiurge4 posted:

Salvations Reach when all they get are 3 Marines that everyone is poo poo scared to just look at.

I will always love Salvation's Reach for the way it handled the marines. There's so many good bits with them.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Didn't the HH have a short story where some 30k Space Wolves get stuck on a planet and end up defending the not-yet-compliant world and holding out against dark eldar reavers for months?

Then when it's all over the the reinforcements arrive the people say "thanks so much, we'll be honoured to work with you in future but not under 'compliance'". So they start dropping bombs because GRIMDARK!!!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

space marines operate on ninja rules. one ninja is an unstoppable killer. 2-3 ninjas are an elite hit squad that can only be brought down one at a time with great effort. 100 ninjas are mooks who die in a single punch.

Hey, who else remembers 'Space Marines: A Warhammer 40k Story' where they got John Hurt to voice the chaplain, but had Chaos Marines be literally growling beast jumping around and being merced in the dozens by a half-squad, like they were putties from power freaking rangers?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NihilCredo posted:

Gloryhammer has an album titled Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex so pretty close.
They have to be a 40k tribute band, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sephyr posted:

Hey, who else remembers 'Space Marines: A Warhammer 40k Story' where they got John Hurt to voice the chaplain, but had Chaos Marines be literally growling beast jumping around and being merced in the dozens by a half-squad, like they were putties from power freaking rangers?

The Emperor protects, but having a loaded bolter never hurt either.

Pretty lame movie overall but the voice cast was excellent and the Apothecary was a fun curmudgeon.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Sephyr posted:

A grim reminder that there's been no news about the Eisenhorn TV show for years. Probably a dead project by now. Or if its not then I wouldn't be surprised of GW wanted to silo it off on Warhammer+. That would be the kiss of death...

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

NihilCredo posted:

You forgot to mention that it slaps.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

a lovely king posted:

A grim reminder that there's been no news about the Eisenhorn TV show for years. Probably a dead project by now. Or if its not then I wouldn't be surprised of GW wanted to silo it off on Warhammer+. That would be the kiss of death...

So I don’t play any of the GW stuff. Minimal interest. Is there any content on Warhammer+ that makes it worth getting even if for a limited time to mainline? I don’t give a poo poo about rules, just lore - preferably in story form.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Badly Jester posted:

It's all just so laughably bad. The Space Wolves are simultaneously fearless and relentless warriors, but are absolutely routed by a bunch of orks that outmaneuvered them. Arjac nearly wets his TDA during that battle. Their entire leadership, including Grimnar, consists of ornery toddlers. But the prose... I literally just opened the book at random and picked something. It's not even the worst part or anything:

‘Seldom has butchery been so easy,’ boasted Lenthe as he eviscerated a thrashing defence trooper. Unsheathing his claws from his victim, the Night Lord waved a hand towards the gutted and decapitated corpses littering the corridor. ‘Their defence seems ill-prepared and random. Had they met us in force, the challenge would have been greater.’ ‘They are weak because they do not understand the nature of their foe,’ crowed Keslos, jump pack bright as he landed next to Ektovar. ‘They reckon not with the power of the terrorstorm.’

In conclusion, I have no idea how or why I finished this book. Brainworms, probably.

Obviously these guys should be Word Bearers or something, with the Night Lord mixed in just making fun of them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

rufius posted:

So I don’t play any of the GW stuff. Minimal interest. Is there any content on Warhammer+ that makes it worth getting even if for a limited time to mainline? I don’t give a poo poo about rules, just lore - preferably in story form.
They've been adding in the Forge World campaign books, which have heaps of lore for fake military history geeks.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

rufius posted:

In terms of digesting lore I haven’t gotten much out of warhammer tv but the included warhammer vault has been worth more time. Not at all the cutting edge of storylines there chronologically speaking though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a lovely king posted:

They confirmed it was still actively in development in January of this year. Not much there but if it was dead they wouldn’t have mentioned it at all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

They confirmed it was still actively in development in January of this year. Not much there but if it was dead they wouldn’t have mentioned it at all.
Henry Cavill's schedule must be packed.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a lovely king posted:

It was only announced 2-3 years ago and it's pretty normal for a TV show to stay in initial production phase for 5 years or more. There was news as recently as Jan/Feb that work continues.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Siivola posted:

They've been adding in the Forge World campaign books, which have heaps of lore for fake military history geeks.
Any chance they've put up old 2nd ed era rules?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Any chance they've put up old 2nd ed era rules?
Almost zero, they've even cut out all the rules from the old FW books, but I don't have a subscription so I can't say for certain.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Siivola posted:

Henry Cavill's schedule must be packed.

Maybe they can afford Mark Strong. He already voiced Eisenhorn in that terrible phone game so it's not like a TV show about the same guy would be beneath him.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Demiurge4 posted:

Salvations Reach when all they get are 3 Marines that everyone is poo poo scared to just look at.

Blood of Asaheim by Wraight also has a single squad of Space Wolves become a linchpin in the defense of a shrine world. Shows how even simple marines can out-strategize typical human commanders, do wonders for morale, and disrupt enemy supply lines using guerrilla tactics.

As for Primaris dying like flies, I forget which book it was exactly (Throne of Light, maybe?), but one or even several of the Dawn of Fire novels mention that Primaris underperform relative to the gene seed upgrades they got because of their completely 'rote' conditioning and the fact they spent millennia being icy wieners.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Siivola posted:

Almost zero, they've even cut out all the rules from the old FW books, but I don't have a subscription so I can't say for certain.
Well poo. That's basically the most interesting thing to me right now. Oh well!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yeah, they’ve cut all the rules out of the stuff in the Vault. They only include the fluff and other “can’t use this to play” stuff.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Maybe they can afford Mark Strong. He already voiced Eisenhorn in that terrible phone game so it's not like a TV show about the same guy would be beneath him.

It should be Mark Strong regardless.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Siivola posted:

This also meams that some books are missing significant portions of writing that were either part of rules text or just on the same page as another ruleset. The Pyschic Awakening books, AFAICT, are all missing the final half or so, including concluding sections that didn't have rules.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

It should be Mark Strong regardless.

Imagine a Denis Villeneuve film "The Vengeful Spirit" with Cavill as Sanguinius. Save him for that, just in case. Not gonna happen but I can dream.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagine a Denis Villeneuve film "The Vengeful Spirit" with Cavill as Sanguinius. Save him for that, just in case. Not gonna happen but I can dream.

I have frequent long car rides for work so the last one I built up a cast list for a 40k cinematic universe and also came to the conclusion of Cavill ad Sanguinus.

Also Idris Elba for Vulkan.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
In terms of fantasy casting traitor primarchs in my head are a lot of breaking bad voices. Walt as mortarian, mike/perturabo, Giancarlo esposito as Horus.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

0konner posted:

In terms of fantasy casting traitor primarchs in my head are a lot of breaking bad voices. Walt as mortarian, mike/perturabo, Giancarlo esposito as Horus.

Jason Issacs as someone.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Jason Issacs as someone.

Kurze

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hmm. Honestly I think Rami Malik would be better, at least after seeing him in No Time to Die.

On that subject Daniel Craig as big G. Credit to the person who pointed out that’s what this image looked like as it’s was driving me nuts.

Also Big E has to be Arnold

Something for Christoph Waltz too while we’re at it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
top casts require large budgets. large budgets are for risk reducing ip's. warhammer will not reduce the risk of failure for your movie or show or whatever, it will increase it. maybe cavill will sign on because he's a dipshit about projects sometimes

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

With his performance as a jovial supervillain, I'm thinking Death Guard.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badly Jester posted:

With his performance as a jovial supervillain, I'm thinking Death Guard.

Hmm I could absolutely see that working.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
on the other hand, warhams can do the tieons and addons thing better than anyone else except lego, even disney (at least wrt profit if not revenue), so if they can reduce total cost of a show or something a fair amount they can attribute it to marketing, not production

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so the real conclusion is you'll know the release date is close when they release a $250 eisenhorn mini. maybe also $150 each for bequin and ravenor and the rest

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

maybe cavill will sign on because he's a dipshit about projects sometimes

He paints and plays Custodes so maybe he'd play Valdor for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also Big E has to be Arnold

Have them both play the Big E. It's been stated that he looks like a giant warrior in gold to some, while to others (particularly the Sisters of Silence) he looks like just a man. So have him appear different between scenes for fun.