Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

CuddleCryptid posted:

I've gotten better about fighting macaques (and dealing with their bites) but they perplex me. Why do they keep stealing my hand drills? What are they going to do with them??

they were supposed to be killing mandrills but there was a clerical error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how do i make larger pieces of cloth? the only option is to unweave the stuff i just made

edit: oh christ thats unintuitive

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

loving storms! I just put up that drying rack, stop knocking it down!

Is there anywhere on the island that is safe from storms but can still use a drying rack? Grassland? My cup runneth over with meat from my sick spear skills.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 3, 2022

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Grasslands fits the bill, but while it's raining stuff on the drying rack spoils faster than if you left it on the ground. It's tough to use the drying rack during the wet season at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Me watching my loom blow out to sea for the third time because my shed is too full of cured meats and charcoal to build one inside

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've honestly never even built the drying rack. Smoked meats already last far longer than needed, especially in a cooler.

And I'm pretty sure the macaques on my island are extinct at day 80. Haven't seen one in weeks.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 3, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Having survived a month in Card Survival I would say that there are some UI tips that I didn't understand that are pretty key

- Walking around an area is infinite, if you fill up the search bar in an area you'll still find new stuff if you keep walking. You can get infinite small trees in the jungle this way.

- The time it takes to move between areas is determined by your encumbrance, +15 mins per level. It's often faster to do two light trips than one overloaded one.

- Putting out a fire preserves fuel! You don't have to let it burn down and fill it with wood every time! I can't believe I wasted so much stuff this way! You get so many dried leaves just doing normal hot guy poo poo building structures!

- The little bookmarks next to your inventory is area specific and can be selected in the ID card for objects.

- There doesn't seem to be an easier way to access your inventory to get at your bags than to go in to your character screen and open them, which is a pain in the rear end. But it's good to use them for small things.

- If you sleep in your bed when it gets dark you'll blow through sunrise so it's more efficient to nap.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 3, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The time it takes to move between areas is determined by your encumbrance, +15 mins per level. It's often faster to do two light trips than one overloaded one.
On the other hand sometimes it's much smarter to take one trip back at the heaviest you can carry without going to the next encumbrance level. Very convenient if you're just bringing stuff home, too. 15 minutes apiece to another location and 30 each area back to carry tons of sand or mud or whatever else works out better than 15 each way, done twice.
Plus there will be times when you're about to hit sundown so it doesn't matter how long the last area transition takes, so long as you start it before dark.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

On the other hand sometimes it's much smarter to take one trip back at the heaviest you can carry without going to the next encumbrance level. Very convenient if you're just bringing stuff home, too. 15 minutes apiece to another location and 30 each area back to carry tons of sand or mud or whatever else works out better than 15 each way, done twice.
Plus there will be times when you're about to hit sundown so it doesn't matter how long the last area transition takes, so long as you start it before dark.

Correct, I usually will watch my encumbrance and drop items until I'm jusssst into the yellow warning zone to get a half hour walk. It's more of a useful thing when it's a question of "can I make it back before my food burns/it gets dark/etc"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 3, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The amount of times my stupid rear end arrived in the jungle at exactly 20:03 :cripes:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Carry a candle with you for those emergency night times. You get three per craft and they last for a long time at the cost of some fat. The satchel is perfectly sized for emergency stuff like that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there any way to move structures once you have them assembled? You can walk back a building that is half built but I don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilding my stove in my mud hut from scratch

Rynoto posted:

Carry a candle with you for those emergency night times. You get three per craft and they last for a long time at the cost of some fat. The satchel is perfectly sized for emergency stuff like that.

Yeah a candle seems to last 10 hours each and they're cheap, so if you want to work through a night there are far worse uses for fat.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 3, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My gut tells me sleeping gives more mood and rest for the buck than two naps. My gut could be wrong. and even if so I very often nap anyway so I can start some more stuff smoking or respond to rain in the medium season or whatever

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I always work until 12am, nap till 4am where the light comes back. Then a full sleep every 3-4 days.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Same, but also in Card Survival

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://twitter.com/tynansylvester/status/1576993207682207744?s=46&t=Pb422oslVVaepUVICsbk4Q

Alexa, purchase a Rimworld tit-bot

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there any way to move structures once you have them assembled? You can walk back a building that is half built but I don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilding my stove in my mud hut from scratch

Yeah a candle seems to last 10 hours each and they're cheap, so if you want to work through a night there are far worse uses for fat.

Very few things can be disassembled which is why I just wait for the mud hut to be built for a stove/bookshelf/real bed.

Candles are amazing for the dry season as working through the night saves a bunch of water from overheating in the sun.

Also I'm strongly starting to suspect the game has some way of nudging seasons along based on how well/badly you're doing as this run has had a nearly 40 day dry season and is now stressing my well/cistern so bad that I've had to start tapping banana trees and running the alembic.

E: Complaining fixed it as it rained the next day :v:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 4, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

M is for Mechanoid

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Wayward apparently just got a big update. Has anyone tried it since then? I remember playing it back in the day when it was a browser game, but it never really hooked me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

M is for Mechanoid

Understandable mistake but M is for Milkbot

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Understandable mistake but M is for Milkbot

ugh you had me looking up, "masculine name for baby wrap" and there's loving tacticool baby carriers and wtf

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Inadequately posted:

Wayward apparently just got a big update. Has anyone tried it since then? I remember playing it back in the day when it was a browser game, but it never really hooked me.

I'd be interested in hearing words about this too, looks interesting.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I started up The Long Dark today on my steamdeck and a new popup appeared before the main menu, which i accidentally clicked through. Does anyone know what that was about? I know there's an update + dev diary coming soon, but I couldnt find anything published in the last few days that would've been advertised in a news popup. I've been playing the game a lot recently, so this would have been from the last few days at most.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
God Jesus the dry season in Card Survival is brutal :shepface: I'm just sitting in my hut wearing nothing but shoes and a spear but I'm still regularly becoming hyperthermic

I've been spending a bunch of time in the ocean trying to find the last conch I need for this cistern, so that tends to help at least, but drat. God help me when I need to cook stuff

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

God Jesus the dry season in Card Survival is brutal :shepface: I'm just sitting in my hut wearing nothing but shoes and a spear but I'm still regularly becoming hyperthermic

I've been spending a bunch of time in the ocean trying to find the last conch I need for this cistern, so that tends to help at least, but drat. God help me when I need to cook stuff

Yeah it's brutal. And for the quicklime you should really just bake a large stone. It gives like 10 each when you grind it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slanderer posted:

I started up The Long Dark today on my steamdeck and a new popup appeared before the main menu, which i accidentally clicked through. Does anyone know what that was about? I know there's an update + dev diary coming soon, but I couldnt find anything published in the last few days that would've been advertised in a news popup. I've been playing the game a lot recently, so this would have been from the last few days at most.

Not sure, but you got me to read the dev update and it's pretty good stuff, a confirmed conclusion to SP and paid MP expansions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rynoto posted:

Yeah it's brutal. And for the quicklime you should really just bake a large stone. It gives like 10 each when you grind it.

Are you for real? Like the same large stones you bonk small stones with to make a sharp rock?

Did I not actually have to scrounge for conches

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rynoto posted:

you should what

I mean, I have enough of a conch supply from when I was terrified of food shortage but

what

also dry season tip: load up some empty containers with seawater every couple days if you're not actively living on the coast, staying wet cuts your water consumption by like 30% and doesn't cut into your precious freshwater supply if you do it that way

e: to put it another way, salt water is worth about half as much as fresh water, which is a shitload in the dry season

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also card survival has a seven day demo on steam now

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

Are you for real? Like the same large stones you bonk small stones with to make a sharp rock?

Did I not actually have to scrounge for conches

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you should what

I mean, I have enough of a conch supply from when I was terrified of food shortage but

what

Yep! And it took me ages to realize that it gave quite so many. The in-game guide made it sound like a stone just gave one but nope. It's by far the best way to gain quicklime and only a few other things need those large stones.

On that note trapping sucks to grind but at least those large stones are plentiful and is worth it for eventually getting the trapping pit.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 4, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh god I could have had this cistern finished before the wet season was over :froggonk:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Oh, other ill explained mechanic that I just remembered existed after forgetting it existed for... a long while. You can drag an axe onto the location card of a wooded area to harvest sticks/wood efficiently, instead of just repeat exploring and hoping you roll them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jawnycat posted:

Oh, other ill explained mechanic that I just remembered existed after forgetting it existed for... a long while. You can drag an axe onto the location card of a wooded area to harvest sticks/wood efficiently, instead of just repeat exploring and hoping you roll them.

God dammit :cripes: that seems obvious in hindsight

Anyone got tips on finding flint slabs?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Danaru posted:

God dammit :cripes: that seems obvious in hindsight

Anyone got tips on finding flint slabs?

spend a bunch of time at the beach rocks or the jungle highlands

I don't know as much about the latter just yet because failing a climbing check when you're in a precarious situation can be Very Bad and im only finally reaching a comfortable state of affairs, but the beach rocks double as a decent enough source of crustaceans and seagulls

seagull farming is just a little gamey lol, leave a couple prawns lying around and bean them with spear or rock when they show up

if you miss, oh no, they took two (2) prawns

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
You can get to the jungle highlands through the back by going via the grasslands through the western highlands, no risky climb needed. I think the secret cove is the only spot that strictly requires a climb to reach. All three of the highland locations have flint drops, tho I feel the western highlands have the best rate for finding it. Desolate beach has some too, but it feels very rare, however you can also get obsidian and sulfurous rocks there without needing to make a gasmask for the volcano.

e:

Be careful with farming critters, as everything in the game has an actual population. Fish, seagulls and plants will all eventually repopulate even if you strip the earth bare of them, albeit they will be very rare for awhile, but lizards, boars, goats and partridges can all go fully extinct from the island.
Don't know if it's still the case, but during my extensive play period during EA I would genocide lizards purposefully because they could drive partridges to extinction eventually if their population got too high.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 5, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've definitely noticed a sharp drop in lizard and macaque populations at day 125. With ~75 archery nothing really stands a chance and getting rid of the lizards is well worth it. The macaques are just gone - I think I've seen one in the last 40 days - and it died too. Catching and breeding goats is great though, as is partridges which are even easier to feed and spam you with eggs.

Sidenote that the event with Weston where he thanks you for making him and has a friendly night time chat was the most hilariously-disturbing thing At least happy insane is better than sad insane.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 5, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My recent run ended when a boar gave me a "minor" wound, I slapped an ash dressing on it, but then bled out two screens later. Are dressings not enough for that?

Just got my mud hut up too :negative:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

My recent run ended when a boar gave me a "minor" wound, I slapped an ash dressing on it, but then bled out two screens later. Are dressings not enough for that?

Just got my mud hut up too :negative:

Non-minor Lacerations require either immediate suturing or tourniquets until you do said suturing.

If you're wearing cloth tear them and grab a stick.

E: Did you see how long it was taking to move between zones? Extreme pain would have made you take 1-2 units longer so you could have been bleeding for hours.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 5, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I could have sworn I stopped bleeding temporarily with an ash dressing, maybe I just got really lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Card Survival looks fun, but $25 for what seems to be a tablet game? The price seems a bit high to me, I'll wait for a sale.