Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I also don't like baby poopypants with his stupid D: face but at least there is nothing else looking quite like it, so I'm willing to give it points for originality at least. The game is good though.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Idc about the design or aesthetic of isaac, the actual game is terrific

The new monkey Island looks loving awful though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the entire game is just covered in poo, cartoon child abuse and fetuses

also the movement feels really slippery and the shooting has no guts to it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

the entire game is just covered in poo, cartoon child abuse and fetuses

Yeah its rules

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's always funny to read posts talking up some indie roguelike whatever as a transcendent gaming experience that brought them to man-tears, then you click on the Steam page and every screenshot looks like some poo poo 12-year old me drew in MS Paint.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The only time I cried from a video game was when I was a little kid and accidentally state saved instead of loaded in chrono trigger right as I died and I was only using one slot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grab Im Moor posted:

Terraria surprisingly also got a new content update even though Journey's End was supposed to be the final one ever and that also looks p. rad.

:eyepop:
I haven't played terraria since the first few months it came out. Maybe I need to do another play though

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Rutibex posted:

I haven't played terraria since the first few months it came out. Maybe I need to do another play though

I enjoyed the hell out of Journey's End all the way to crafting Zenith, never really completed a run before. The only thing I didn't care about were the crystal defense minigame and the fishing quests but these are optional and don't even do much in terms of bonus gear etc.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rutibex posted:

There's a ton of new stuff since then. But the amount of stuff they added this patch is crazy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

You're inviting some two-bit amateur shitposter to be like "You're a good poster, lol unpopular opinion!!", I won't do that of course because I'm a loving professional

So the creator of Rimworld dropped this image recently:
https://twitter.com/tynansylvester/status/1576993207682207744?s=46&t=Pb422oslVVaepUVICsbk4Q

My unpopular opinion is that more games need an alien satan dad being milked by a robot while petting what appears to be a very good boy. I don't even care what it actually is, that's some interesting drat cover art. I would read that book (or that Star Trek OC fan fiction probably)

What a perplexing piece of digital art.

veni veni veni posted:

Binding of Isaac isn't a bad game, but it's loving hideous to look at to the point that I can't even enjoy it that much. It looks like a browser game from 2004 or a Smorky animation or something. just hate the art so much.

It started as a flash browser game from 2000 and whatever, so pretty close.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Of course, you're shooting tears, not poop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there should be drastically less voice acting

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

This is true. Voice acting inflates costs and greatly limits dialogue. I don't think it's worth it most of the time.

But on the other hand Operation Flashpoint so it could go either way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Same amount of voice acting but it all has to be delivered by random passersby on the street

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wait until speech synthesis becomes good enough. We'll get back our old cRPG text walls, but fully voice "acted".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

they should use text to speech generators instead of voice actors

itry posted:

Wait until speech synthesis becomes good enough. We'll get back our old cRPG text walls, but fully voice "acted".

:hmmyes:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

It should be a game design principle that the player should never go more than a minute without being able to control the game. I can't think of a single instance where I thought "wow putting my controller down to watch this dumb bullshit is totally worth interrupting my gameplay."

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I could never get Rimworld going.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kntfkr posted:

I could never get Rimworld going.

Sorry that you're weak of spirit, OP

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

It should be a game design principle that the player should never go more than a minute without being able to control the game. I can't think of a single instance where I thought "wow putting my controller down to watch this dumb bullshit is totally worth interrupting my gameplay."

those are weed breaks

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

poverty goat posted:

those are weed breaks

Bingo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's always funny to read posts talking up some indie roguelike whatever as a transcendent gaming experience that brought them to man-tears, then you click on the Steam page and every screenshot looks like some poo poo 12-year old me drew in MS Paint.

It's always funny when a triple a game thinks it can bank on morons going OOOhhhh pretty look at those sweet cutscenes while having the same boring to okay gameplay as 1000 other games, made by the same company. Wait no that's right they can because people are loving morons. Thanks morons way to poo poo up video games for the non morons. I like when something is successful (Rogue Legacy, Vampire Survivor etc.) you see a billion clones as fast as possible. Since Vampire Survivor is pretty simple those clones are already here. So yeah even indies often times have about 0 creativity. While I don't mind building on a concept, I do think maybe wait a year or two before doing it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 4, 2022

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A game with the same gameplay as a bunch of other games, but better graphics and/or sound, is objectively a better game.

This is why call of duty is just the best at whatever it is call of duty is now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

A game with the same gameplay as a bunch of other games, but better graphics and/or sound, is objectively a better game.

This is why call of duty is just the best at whatever it is call of duty is now.

I don't need to play a mediocre game again even if it's prettier. I imagine Call of Duty does the whole battle pass garbage now so yeah it's probably not the best one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 4, 2022

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky are the most important video games to be released in the past twenty years.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
New Dead Space trailer dropped and just looks like the Old Dead Space.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vakal posted:

They should call the new one My Space, because that's way deader.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

neato burrito posted:

Binding of Isaac and Spelunky are the most important video games to be released in the past twenty years.

“Important video games”

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Binding of Isaac is just gross in a weird way. I'm usually okay with that kind of thing but putting a blue baby boss in your game is some really lame edgy poo poo.

copropunk is my least favorite indie aesthetic

Grab Im Moor posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of Journey's End all the way to crafting Zenith, never really completed a run before. The only thing I didn't care about were the crystal defense minigame and the fishing quests but these are optional and don't even do much in terms of bonus gear etc.

fishing is one of the best/most efficient ways to get materials up to t6 in hardmode. there are plenty of early game drops in crates too, like sprint shoes and double jump accessories, and even water-walking boots :ssh:

you can probably get more done with 30 minutes of fishing than you could in 3-4 hours of digging!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 4, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vakal posted:

Is that the remake, or the serial-number-filed-off make?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Old dead space looks good and holds up what’s wrong with this world

Not 3

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dead Space 2, at least, controls very poorly on PC (m&k). Especially if you're prone to motion sickness.

Edit: Anyway, this is the not-at-all-dead-space game I was refering to, by the co-creator of Dead Space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Callisto_Protocol

itry fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 4, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jokes posted:

Old dead space looks good and holds up what’s wrong with this world

Not 3

3 still looks really good. It just sucks after the first 4 hours. And it's like 20 hours long.

itry posted:

Dead Space 2, at least, controls very poorly on PC (m&k). Especially if you get motion sick.

Dead Space is 100% a game to play with a controller imo. 2 feels great to play with a controller on PC at least.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

itry posted:

Is that the remake, or the serial-number-filed-off make?

I'm not sure, all the animations and monsters designs look pretty much the same as the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE5EEz3t0Xw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are talking about Callisto Protocol, which is the game being made by ex Dead Space devs.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

3 still looks really good. It just sucks after the first 4 hours. And it's like 20 hours long.

Dead Space is 100% a game to play with a controller imo. 2 feels great to play with a controller on PC at least.

Maybe. At the risk of derailing the thread with another controller vs. mouse inane discussion, I just don't like to play shooters (1st or 3rd person) with a controller.

Vakal posted:

I'm not sure, all the animations and monsters designs look pretty much the same as the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE5EEz3t0Xw

Yeah, that's obviously the remake. I was just refering to The Callisto Protocol. Which is more interesting to me tbh.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

They are talking about Callisto Protocol, which is the game being made by ex Dead Space devs.

Phoenix Point, Back 4 Blood, Callisto Protocol.

What a time to be alive...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

An achievement for dying all the different ways sounds really fun. It reminds me of that flash game or whatever where the goal is to kill yourself in an office environment.

Five Minutes to Kill (Yourself)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fur20 posted:

copropunk is my least favorite indie aesthetic

fishing is one of the best/most efficient ways to get materials up to t6 in hardmode. there are plenty of early game drops in crates too, like sprint shoes and double jump accessories, and even water-walking boots :ssh:

you can probably get more done with 30 minutes of fishing than you could in 3-4 hours of digging!

can you still do the thing where you fish up a shitload of crates in easymode and then as soon as you beat the boss to enter hardmode you open them all up and they suddenly magically have all the hardmode-exclusive ores in them so you skip past all the tiers of mineable crap

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

If Dead Space 3 gets worse after four hours, it must come over to your house and kick your dog because the first two hours that I played before I quit were dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Deadspace is to the horror game genre what Assassin's Creed is to the action game genre