Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rolo posted:

I still get the “paste permission” message here and it’s annoying.
I've still gotten it a few times too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Hi friends

I'm a recent iPhone adoptee, having been an Android guy for like 15+ years. I got the 14 Pro Max or whatever, and have shoved it into one of these battery cases which I am so far very happy with. The nice thing is that the battery case seems to work just fine with the wireless charging pucks I have scattered about at home and work, but I tend to need the extended battery on my phones because I use it to run my insulin pump and glucose monitoring for my diabetic care.

The only thing I'm missing now is that I used to have one of those phone-grip-ring things on the back of my old Android phone, which I found made it a lot easier to hold while I was doomscrolling in bed or whatever. Something like these things:

A bunch of them say they're magsafe compatible, but from what I have seen that just means that the ring itself magnetizes onto the back of the phone and would otherwise be removable if you wanted to drop it on a magsafe thing. Are there any options that exist that wouldn't interfere with wireless charging that I could leave on the back, even in the case I have? I know that's probably asking for too much, but I figured I'd see if anyone knew of good solutions for this.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
don't janitor your grip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magsafe ones definitely need to be removed to charge. There may be stick-on ones you can put lower on the phone, but really anything in the area where you'd want to hold the thing is going to interfere with wireless charging.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Harvey Baldman posted:

Are there any options that exist that wouldn't interfere with wireless charging that I could leave on the back, even in the case I have? I know that's probably asking for too much, but I figured I'd see if anyone knew of good solutions for this.

No. You can only have one MagSafe attachment on at any given time except for the case.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Braincloud posted:

Oh neat. Woke up this morning feeling like something was off and realized my alarm hadn’t gone off. Looked over at my phone 14 Pro (plugged into the charging cable) and it was off. Well that’s weird, maybe I got lint in the port and it died overnight? Nope. Phone wouldn’t power on at all. No charging indicator, nothing. It was like it was bricked.

Finally found out how to force restart (volume up, volume down, hold side button) and it popped back to life.

WTF.

huh, this just happened to me about 5 minutes ago on my iphone 13 pro. phone was charging over lightning. i picked it up and it was just a black screen, unresponsive to screen or power button presses. i had to do the magic volume and power button sequence to force restart. i'm on ios 16.0.2.

i've had this phone since launch and it's never happened before. whatever is going on must not be specific to the iphone 14. maybe it's an ios 16 thing?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just saw an iPhone 14 Pro in person for the first time. That dynamic island really looks huge even compared to the notch from the iPhone X. I didn’t think it would take up so much more vertical space than a notch which could’ve been worked around in software in the same way.

Edit: unrelated iPhone XS issue but… that’s a lot of battery for Reminders, right?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 2, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7149544664075488555

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I'm using the Astronomy Lock Screen and I realize something..

Where the gently caress is Pluto??!!

Here we go again with the planetcism

drat you Tim Apple!!! :argh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And the moon Lock Screen doesn’t even show the current phase :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part of that wallpaper is the transition animations between earth and moon and you can't do that from the lock screen. Boo to that.

No phases is pretty bad too though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm setting up an iPad for a friend who is not very technically literate. Can someone recommend an ad blocker [ed: for Safari or Firefox] that:

• Is free or a one-time payment (i.e. not a subscription)
• Blocks all ads including YouTube ads
Requires no interaction after initial configuration (this is the really important bit)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah afaik you can’t block YouTube ads unless you use it in safari and not the YouTube app.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We won't be installing/using the YouTube app, so that's not a big deal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think such a thing exists my friend.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If I could ease off on the 'interaction' requirement, what is there?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Check these out

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1blocker-ad-blocker/id1365531024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question Mark Mound posted:

Edit: unrelated iPhone XS issue but… that’s a lot of battery for Reminders, right?

drat bro is your phone getting hammered from reminding you to breathe or something??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
for 13 owners, verizon's online store is currently selling most iphone 13/pro/max apple cases and a few magsafe accessories for half off with free shipping, probably clearing old stock now that the 14s are taking over shelf space. some color combos are sold out, but most seem to still be in stock as of this afternoon.

doubt it'll ever get more discounted than this. i ordered a leather 13 pro case in golden brown. i'm using a $10 knock-off silicone case from amazon that's fine, but i miss the leather case i had on my 8. it just slid in and out of the pocket so much easier than any silicone case. i also like the slightly textured feel in the hand more than the grippy silicone. didn't seem worth it at $60, but at $30 it was too tempting.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Inner Light posted:

drat bro is your phone getting hammered from reminding you to breathe or something??
I have no idea. I use it for work and just general reminder stuff but nothing that ought to be using up that much battery. I assume there’s gotta be something weird going on with it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Quackles posted:

I'm setting up an iPad for a friend who is not very technically literate. Can someone recommend an ad blocker [ed: for Safari or Firefox] that:

• Is free or a one-time payment (i.e. not a subscription)
• Blocks all ads including YouTube ads
Requires no interaction after initial configuration (this is the really important bit)

Use NextDNS. Blocking ads at the DNS level works across all apps, and the free tier should have enough lookups for any single device.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Inner Light posted:

no, you have to buy a $300+ watch to get annoying reminders to breathe

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

stepped on my phone this morning cracking the screen right around the front camera/face id sensors. have applecare so i scheduled an appointment for a repair at a local apple store. support app said it would cost $30 for a screen damage claim.

it didn't shock me that they threw a new phone at me since they couldn't repair the sensors, but what did surprise me was that it ended up being completely free and i didn't even have to pay the $30 . not that i'm complaining ofc, but is this normal in this situation to be rewarded for worse damage?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 4, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nah they probably goofed and forgot to charge you the $100 replacement fee. Idk why their POS software allows a serialized device to be released without a corresponding charge but they’ve gotten close to not charging me as well before walking out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They can charge something as a warranty repair rather than a damage repair. Might have hit the wrong button or were feeling nice or whatever. They did it once for me for what would have been a $700 MacBook screen replacement since the worker thought the story of how it happened was funny. (Cat knocked over my TV onto it.)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I had the same situation where I busted the screen on my iPhone out of warranty and she marked it as some defect they were reporting that had a $0 cost to repair when the reality was I dropped a dumbbell on it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I know updates that mess with your battery life but iOS 16... Jesus Christ. My 12 Pro has held a great charge in the year and a half I've had it. One day with 16.0.2 and it got down to 45% by the time I made my morning coffee. Charges slower too and I could use it as a hand warmer if I got lost in the Alps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you done a reboot yet? Sometimes software goes stupid and you gotta shut it off and then on again.

If you have, sounds like a support call with Apple. The phone shouldn't function as a space heater, no matter how many AI filters it's running your photo library through.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

xzzy posted:

Have you done a reboot yet? Sometimes software goes stupid and you gotta shut it off and then on again.

If you have, sounds like a support call with Apple. The phone shouldn't function as a space heater, no matter how many AI filters it's running your photo library through.

Don't recall if I have in last few days so just did it. My partner updated her 14 Pro Max to the latest OS yesterday and now her Instagram won't open. Just closes every time and we've tried everything so she's just basically waiting for a new update to drop. Not like she runs a business on Instagram or anything... :/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WerthersWay posted:

Don't recall if I have in last few days so just did it. My partner updated her 14 Pro Max to the latest OS yesterday and now her Instagram won't open. Just closes every time and we've tried everything so she's just basically waiting for a new update to drop. Not like she runs a business on Instagram or anything... :/

Has she tried removing and reinstalling the Gram?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Has she tried removing and reinstalling the Gram?

first thing

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I also had a problem with Instagram when I updated but for the life of me cannot find the article that helped me unfuck it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
USB-C euro mandate has passed https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/usb-c-mandate-moves-forward-in-eu-wireless-charging-regulation-could-follow/

I would guess 2023 iPhones to be the last lightning device if Apple doesn't decide to anticipate the change.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Every rumor has been pointing at the 2023 iPhone being USB-C, which will pretty much leave just AirPods, some (all?) wireless Beats, the base iPad, and AppleTV remotes with Lightning, and I suspect the base iPad is getting a redesign to look like the rest of the lineup.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have like one too many Lightning accessories to wanna switch right now :( better in the long run I guess though.

Side question: maybe I’m not going about this the right way since the Focus feature is more about disabling notifications from apps, but is there a way to have certain apps only be allowed to send notifications when the Work focus is on? I only want to get notifications from my work apps from 9 to 5 but since I have them disabled when in a non-focus state, they’re not showing up as options for “allowed” apps.

Basically all I want from the work focus is my normal-rear end phone set up, but with these two apps given permission to bother me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have like one too many Lightning accessories to wanna switch right now :( better in the long run I guess though.

Side question: maybe I’m not going about this the right way since the Focus feature is more about disabling notifications from apps, but is there a way to have certain apps only be allowed to send notifications when the Work focus is on? I only want to get notifications from my work apps from 9 to 5 but since I have them disabled when in a non-focus state, they’re not showing up as options for “allowed” apps.

Basically all I want from the work focus is my normal-rear end phone set up, but with these two apps given permission to bother me.

How are they "disabled" when not in work hours? Do you have like a Home focus mode or something?

For my Outlook and Teams apps they each have their own "Work Hours" mode in the settings that disable all notifications except during work hours. I then have a Work focus mode that allows those apps and blocks most everything else.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Is it a Known Thing for CarPlay to be garbo and disconnect sometimes?

About 50% of the time, if I try to play music (from Apple Music, and this happened in Spotify too) on my car while I'm using navigation (Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps), it will completely disconnect from CarPlay. The way to fix it is either to unplug my phone and plug it back in (works sometimes), turn the car off and on (works more often it seems), or to set the audio source to the FM radio, listen to the radio for about five seconds, and then change the source back to the iPhone.
This also happens on my wife's iPhone, which may mean it's the car.

Is this a weird quirk of my car or is it just How CarPlay Works?

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 5, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven’t had that behavior. Way more likely to be flakiness from your head unit IMO.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SgtScruffy posted:

About 50% of the time, if I try to play music (from Apple Music, and this happened in Spotify too) on my car while I'm using navigation (Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps), it will completely disconnect from CarPlay. The way to fix it is either to unplug my phone and plug it back in (works sometimes), turn the car off and on (works more often it seems), or to set the audio source to the FM radio, listen to the radio for about five seconds, and then change the source back to the iPhone.

Did you try replacing the cable? I had similar issues and that did the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

Mine does this, but I have a third-party head unit I installed myself, so who knows what the problem is. My trouble-shooting is about the same as yours, and sometimes just buying a new cable fixes it for awhile, but sometimes not! :iiam: