Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

joylessdivision posted:

I do not appreciate this slander of the Black Furies*

*as of 1e core where they weren't an entire tribe of man hating lesbians. Please god don't let them turn into a tribe of man hating lesbians at any point please lord, I ask for so little

Haaaaaaavvvveee you met Tribebook: Black Furies 1e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Terratina posted:

I am told that the Galestrikers and their patron spirit North Wind's ban is okay because partaking in a fresh kill doesn't necessarily mean eating flesh, like spirit hunts exist as well.

Still seems like they just did a few noun swaps and called it done.

And I agree with the other issue: it's just not fun. Either it gets utterly handwaved, meaning what's the point, or it drags down play. "Sorry, guys, I can't come scout that Pentex installation, I gotta go hunt or spirit dad will get mad at me again."

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Still seems like they just did a few noun swaps and called it done.

And I agree with the other issue: it's just not fun. Either it gets utterly handwaved, meaning what's the point, or it drags down play. "Sorry, guys, I can't come scout that Pentex installation, I gotta go hunt or spirit dad will get mad at me again."

Like I said, I was told such and such was simply a woof being a woof. But I would personally prefer if North Wind wanted their woofs to fully embrace their cold hugs and never layer up for winter, especially if it turns out to be a simple noun swap.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah seriously, was about to say, "wait, when were they not?"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I haven't read it yet because I'm knee deep in notes on Wraith 1e at the moment. I have a copy and I'm going to read it and now I'm sad.

Dawgstar posted:

Remember Ericsson wanted them to be all violently pro-life, so things are better already.

:stonklol: no....I had not. Boy am I glad that loving weirdo no longer has his gross hands on any of this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't there going to be something where if your werewolf was trans, their healing factor would reverse hormone therapy too?

Big loving bullet dodged dumping that chump.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Wasn't there going to be something where if your werewolf was trans, their healing factor would reverse hormone therapy too?

Big loving bullet dodged dumping that chump.

I thought that was some bullshit sidebar in a W20 product, although I could be wrong.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Paradox added a bunch of anti-vax and transphobic material to Holden Shearer's section of W20 Changing Ways, yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

joylessdivision posted:

I haven't read it yet because I'm knee deep in notes on Wraith 1e at the moment. I have a copy and I'm going to read it and now I'm sad.

Tsilkani posted:

I thought that was some bullshit sidebar in a W20 product, although I could be wrong.

There was also a thing that if you did medically transition successfully or with the assistance of any spirit short of an incarnae you were treated as worse than a Metis.

Also it was impossible for female werewolves to get abortions because their "natural motherly instincts" would drive them into frenzy if they tried.

Also werewolf sex is so primal and vigorous it "overcomes all forms of contraception."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious if it was Ericsson's idea to get rid of metis entirely instead of just changing the name. It's a very problematic name but it's just a random word they picked out that doesn't make much sense to begin with. I felt Werewolf the Forsaken handled that all really well but it was kind of a big thing in the Apocalypse setting and for the other changing breeds that was baked into the mythology. I'm sure this soft reboot will make it irrelevant but there's also the fact this isn't really that much of a reboot but a new edition with some retcons. If they have to explain poo poo from the previous editions instead of it just being something like Werewolf the Forsaken, an actual reboot/reimagining, they're just doing what they did with V5. It reminds me of the weird, werewolves can bite people and make them kinfolk thing from the recent LARP rules. I'm just really curious to see this book because some of these choices are just odd.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Today in a Demon's rapidly unraveling cover:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Métis fundamentally means “mixed.” Very specific connotations in Canada.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

There was also a thing that if you did medically transition successfully or with the assistance of any spirit short of an incarnae you were treated as worse than a Metis.

Also it was impossible for female werewolves to get abortions because their "natural motherly instincts" would drive them into frenzy if they tried.

Also werewolf sex is so primal and vigorous it "overcomes all forms of contraception."

BRUCATO :argh: :argh: :argh:

Also gently caress all that dumb anti-trans nonsense, the god drat Rite of Renunciation could be invoked by a Trans-wolf and they could walk back into the Sept with a new name and identity and no one could say poo poo about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In hindsight it was surprising that Brucato wasn't the one who gave us the big Crinos orgy Rite.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

In hindsight it was surprising that Brucato wasn't the one who gave us the big Crinos orgy Rite.

Comer was almost as bad as Brucato, he just didn't think he was an actual satyr sex god.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Today in a Demon's rapidly unraveling cover:

oh man I love the original Megami Tensei novels*

* (no I don't)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheCenturion posted:

Métis fundamentally means “mixed.” Very specific connotations in Canada.

Yeah and it never made sense to me for Werewolf because a pairing of two werewolves isn't a mix, it's the opposite of that. The other pairings are a mix of two fundamentally different types of beings.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Paradox added a bunch of anti-vax and transphobic material to Holden Shearer's section of W20 Changing Ways, yeah.

Not just Holden, they stuck that crap throughout the book and I am still very, very pissed about it. Though I'm not surprised the Sex-Pest-Defender-Defender is trying to make out like his buddy was the only one affected.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I Am Just a Box posted:

I'm 100% with you on pledges. I don't think the 2e pledges are more complicated, considering the point-buy nature of putting a 1e pledge together compared to very little in the way of guidelines for custom pledges in 2e, but they're far more limited. Even if you interpret 1e pledges as overpowered and representing too large a proportion of changeling power, they overcompensated hard to the point of closing off a lot of easy story beats.

I'm not sure I agree on the contracts, though. They're spread out more, with Regalia being much broader than 1e Contract purviews (in exchange for individual effects being more accessible within them, being divided into "little contract" and "big contract" rather than having to climb each dot ladder of clauses), but there are plenty of powerful 2e contracts, and I remember Changeling being one of the less potent 1e beings outside of their pledgecraft. I do think they have some significant holes (the basic Ogre package of "big and strong" is not super accessible from the provided contracts; tying Ogres to Shield and Elementals to Sword in general kind of warps the contract provisions), but I don't see a major overall nerf.

In terms of complication, there's seeming benefits, but I like more of them than I don't, and they're not terribly complicated.

My specific gripe is that there's less direct boost to your attributes. Take Ogres, in 1E Strength of the Terrible Brute added to your strength for the turn, in 2E it only works when grappling someone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jfc I'm glad I basically never got into WtA because I read the 2e Corebook and got to the part about Werewolf sex and breeding and just noped the gently caress out back in like 1997. :wtc:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's a reason that WtF is one of folks favorite upgrades from wod ->cod

Edit: C:tL chat

I have *never* really vibed with any of the changeling contracts. I know they're supposed to be powerful but looking through them, very rarely does anything call out to me. Like, if I have a character with natural weapons I'll take the contract that'll boost that L damage to Agg, but it's like I'd kill for just something similar to V:tR's physical disciplines.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 5, 2022

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Jfc I'm glad I basically never got into WtA because I read the 2e Corebook and got to the part about Werewolf sex and breeding and just noped the gently caress out back in like 1997. :wtc:

The first edition core is good, I really enjoyed it and there wasn't any creepy sex stuff.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

The first edition core is good, I really enjoyed it and there wasn't any creepy sex stuff.

Again, I'm very confused as to which Werewolf first Edition you read.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Werewolf 2nd edition was the first roleplaying game book I ever bought for myself, and maybe this new edition will be the time I get a group to play more than a session or two. The changes all seem fine, which is a pleasant surprise after Hunter.

I still stand by dramatic claw slashes on the cover being a great sales tool.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, I don't have a copy of 1e in front of me, but I'm pretty sure Black Furies were explicitly man-hating lesbian castrators, the book pointed out that a werewolf in frenzy was prone to raping somebody before eating them, Fomori explicitly use sexual violence, lots of kinfolk were used as literal breeding slaves, Woofs have an 'animal magnetism' that melts panties, the whole nine yards.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, I don't have a copy of 1e in front of me, but I'm pretty sure Black Furies were explicitly man-hating lesbian castrators, the book pointed out that a werewolf in frenzy was prone to raping somebody before eating them, Fomori explicitly use sexual violence, lots of kinfolk were used as literal breeding slaves, Woofs have an 'animal magnetism' that melts panties, the whole nine yards.

Yeah that's not Apocalypse 1e. I literally read it a couple of weeks back and reviewed it, I would have remembered all that poo poo.

The Black Furies in that book are an all female tribe but it's never said they are man hating, castration lesbians.

This is their summary from the settings chapter:

My Review posted:

The Black Furies are the all ladies tribe originally hailing from Greece who hide in the deep wilderness worshiping the Wyld and only emerging to strike at those who desecrate the dwindling magical sites throughout the world.

https://worldofdorkness.com/2022/08/10/world-of-dorkness-3-werewolf-the-apocalypse-1st-edition/ you can read my long rear end review or grab the book yourself and tell me where I'm wrong but I think some of you folks are mixing up stuff that was added in supplement books or 2nd edition with what was in the actual 1e corebook.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat about it, I realize most folks here probably read these books 20+ years ago so the fine details are probably lost but when I'm saying "That's not in the corebook" It's because I read it recently enough to remember.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

Huh, so thats where furries came from

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

DigitalRaven posted:

Not just Holden, they stuck that crap throughout the book and I am still very, very pissed about it. Though I'm not surprised the Sex-Pest-Defender-Defender is trying to make out like his buddy was the only one affected.

To be quite honest, for fairly obvious reasons I never actually read it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that's not Apocalypse 1e. I literally read it a couple of weeks back and reviewed it, I would have remembered all that poo poo.

The Black Furies in that book are an all female tribe but it's never said they are man hating, castration lesbians.

This is their summary from the settings chapter:

https://worldofdorkness.com/2022/08/10/world-of-dorkness-3-werewolf-the-apocalypse-1st-edition/ you can read my long rear end review or grab the book yourself and tell me where I'm wrong but I think some of you folks are mixing up stuff that was added in supplement books or 2nd edition with what was in the actual 1e corebook.

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat about it, I realize most folks here probably read these books 20+ years ago so the fine details are probably lost but when I'm saying "That's not in the corebook" It's because I read it recently enough to remember.

Yeah but saying that "it wasn't in the corebook so 1e werewolf is therefore better than 2e werewolf where it was in the corebook" is very disingenuous.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah there's a reason that WtF is one of folks favorite upgrades from wod ->cod

Edit: C:tL chat

I have *never* really vibed with any of the changeling contracts. I know they're supposed to be powerful but looking through them, very rarely does anything call out to me. Like, if I have a character with natural weapons I'll take the contract that'll boost that L damage to Agg, but it's like I'd kill for just something similar to V:tR's physical disciplines.

Thanks tos tuff like catches 1e Lost contracts could be bonkers.

My Ogre did 11L in one strike.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Yeah but saying that "it wasn't in the corebook so 1e werewolf is therefore better than 2e werewolf where it was in the corebook" is very disingenuous.

I mean I'm not going to lie and say I don't like the 1e corebook, because I do. I don't have an opinion about 2e core yet because I haven't read it, and I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about once I've read it but how am I being disingenuous by saying I prefer the version that doesn't have the extra awful poo poo that was being discussed?

These aren't some monolithic things where liking one version or one specific book is blanket endorsement of the entire publication history, that is absurd.

I'm absolutely willing to rip on these books when I come across stuff in them that I find gross or offensive but I'm not going to ascribe the sins of one book to another.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

joylessdivision posted:

I mean I'm not going to lie and say I don't like the 1e corebook, because I do. I don't have an opinion about 2e core yet because I haven't read it, and I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about once I've read it but how am I being disingenuous by saying I prefer the version that doesn't have the extra awful poo poo that was being discussed?

Yeah, liking the 1e corebook is not the same as giving the thumbs up to the entirety of WtA 1st edition. From what I can see in wikipedia the tribebooks weren't published until 2 years after the corebook.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Hey team. I have a weird question. I've been thinking about running a Vampire game but I'm stumbling a bit in a few different ways and was wondering if these are issues people have had, and how people fixed them or what alternatives there are to recommend.

I played Requiem as a teen and, bluntly, did not engage with the intended style of play, playing games that essentially boiled down to die hard with vampires. As a consequence, I'm broadly familiar with the nWoD dice system and have a bit of nostalgia for it, but also I do find some aspects of the setting a bit incoherent (like covenants, in this allegedly very atomised universe) and the more RPGs I play, the more I kind of hate games where there's dozens of skills and feats to take instead of having tighter focused rules. I do like many of the changes in blood and smoke, like touchstones and conditions, though.

I was turned towards the new edition of Masquerade by praise for the Hunger system, and I do like that concept a lot, but the Tons Of Options thing is now also present in disciplines, there are so many clans, and I kind of hate metaplot in general. I realise I could just ignore it, but I feel like Masquerade strongly implies metaplot-relevance to an audience.

So, any recommendations, either for patching or for other games which are maybe closer to the deal here? FWIW, I own urban shadows and the monster mash style isn't a thing I'm aiming for here. My best idea so far is "port hunger to blood and smoke, profit(?)".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

These aren't some monolithic things where liking one version or one specific book is blanket endorsement of the entire publication history, that is absurd.

I'm absolutely willing to rip on these books when I come across stuff in them that I find gross or offensive but I'm not going to ascribe the sins of one book to another.

Yeah but you keep saying "Apocalypse 1e" and not "The apocalypse 1e corebook" which is why you're getting the pushback.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

spectralent posted:

Hey team. I have a weird question. I've been thinking about running a Vampire game but I'm stumbling a bit in a few different ways and was wondering if these are issues people have had, and how people fixed them or what alternatives there are to recommend.

I played Requiem as a teen and, bluntly, did not engage with the intended style of play, playing games that essentially boiled down to die hard with vampires. As a consequence, I'm broadly familiar with the nWoD dice system and have a bit of nostalgia for it, but also I do find some aspects of the setting a bit incoherent (like covenants, in this allegedly very atomised universe) and the more RPGs I play, the more I kind of hate games where there's dozens of skills and feats to take instead of having tighter focused rules. I do like many of the changes in blood and smoke, like touchstones and conditions, though.

I was turned towards the new edition of Masquerade by praise for the Hunger system, and I do like that concept a lot, but the Tons Of Options thing is now also present in disciplines, there are so many clans, and I kind of hate metaplot in general. I realise I could just ignore it, but I feel like Masquerade strongly implies metaplot-relevance to an audience.

So, any recommendations, either for patching or for other games which are maybe closer to the deal here? FWIW, I own urban shadows and the monster mash style isn't a thing I'm aiming for here. My best idea so far is "port hunger to blood and smoke, profit(?)".

I would probably recommend playing 1E but bringing in any specific mechanics or setting elements you like from 2E, because 2E has loads more of questionably-useful mechanical cruft tacked on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

I would probably recommend playing 1E but bringing in any specific mechanics or setting elements you like from 2E, because 2E has loads more of questionably-useful mechanical cruft tacked on.

Then you're saddling him with 100 Bloodlines and unique Disciplines... did you even read what the dude wrote?

spectralent posted:

Honestly, it's a tricky one. You could do Requiem 2E but it has weird dice and yeah, the traction and pull of the setting lost something in the translation. Are you married to a modern setting? Requiem for Rome could be a really good option for you since it pares down a lot of the accessory stuff for a more focused set of sects and clans, with the focus being on the Strigoi as antagonists, primarily.

If you do go for V5, the Discipline thing actually is pretty easy, since every clan has some combo of the same 11 Disciplines in various combinations, the metaplot is very much take it or leave it and you can easily just ignore the bulk of Loresheets if you don't want to be bothered with that crap, and just run whatever you like.

Honestly, I'd say if you really like the Hunger mechanic, run a Thinblood or Caitiff game and ignore ALL the metaplot and just let people pick whatever Disciplines they want and play as they like - you end up with basically an Anne Rice gameplay mode and it's ironically how the last Convention game that Achilli ran for V5 worked, just because he wanted to showcase that you could just do whatever the gently caress you want. I think they omitted Blood Sorcery since it was too weird, but yeah... everyone had the same progression on whatever Disciplines they had, and everyone just did their own progression and it had nothing to do with any metaplot and was entirely a fresh take on it with some sort of faction war between two local gangs of vampires, a la the Lost Boys. Might be your best bet.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fuzz posted:

Then you're saddling him with 100 Bloodlines and unique Disciplines... did you even read what the dude wrote?

No I'm not, what are you talking about? It's not like those things don't technically exist in the 2E canon, or like there's any expectation or necessity that you use any specific instance.

If "dozens of skills and feats" is a worry, they're probably going to present as a bigger problem with 2E's library of "(fighting) Style" merits, whereas you were missing nothing if you just deleted or banned the few instances of that stuff back in first edition.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

No I'm not, what are you talking about?

Requiem 1E.

Ferrinus posted:

Baseline 1E just had way too many, "hey let's make a weird vampire about every single myth known to man, why not?" Which is where it went south. I would say if you do go the 1E route, just ignore most if not all of the Bloodlines and play the basic clans, they're all great and fun already anyway.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Baseline 1E just had way too many, "hey let's make a weird vampire about every single myth known to man, why not?" Which is where it went south. I would say if you do go the 1E route, just ignore most if not all of the Bloodlines and play the basic clans, they're all great and fun already anyway.

That's like saying there are too many different kinds of spirit in Werewolf or too many different kinds of one-off horror movie antagonist in core "blue book" nWoD. The point is that vampirism is a mutable phenomenon with lots of possible evolutionary cul de sacs or regional variations. A Requiem bloodline doesn't have the same table-setting implications as a Masquerade clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, this was the point of the nWoD's toolbox approach. The only thing garanteed to exist in a game is in the corebook.