Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baudolino posted:

I love Cooke`s performance. But i dont see the trump supporter in her Alicent.
For one she does not excuse foul language from her supporters and she is brave enough to risk her own life.

You say she’s not acting like a Trump supporter but then criticize her for not being like Trump.

Her kids are Trump in this metaphor, not her. Which still isn’t flawless but let’s criticize things correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I mean, she demanded every possible concession and then threw a violent fit when she didn't get her way. After that, she still thinks she's the victim and whined about it when she expected to be called out.

So... completely spot on so far?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

You say she’s not acting like a Trump supporter but then criticize her for not being like Trump.

Her kids are Trump in this metaphor, not her. Which still isn’t flawless but let’s criticize things correctly.

right, when i heard that tidbit, what i saw in my mind's eye was an SUV-driving mom from Plano tx and it worked

imagine alicent ordering food at an applebee's

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I mean, she demanded every possible concession and then threw a violent fit when she didn't get her way. After that, she still thinks she's the victim and whined about it when she expected to be called out.

So... completely spot on so far?

i think it's just not the kind of comparison you want to directly draw attention to, let the fans sort it out because they will.

it isn't as if trump supporters invented women supporting patriarchy. you could compare her to any era of woman who clings to established power even when it is against her interests. trumper is the most low hanging fruit. flattens the character if you try to look at her through that lens.

fortunately she doesn't come across as that in the actual show so i doubt it was even a serious direction, just something miguel thought was pithy to put in a BTS video or where ever it came from.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's funny how mindnumbingly stupid and weird half the bts comments are when compared to the actual show, like all that talk about Daemon being conflicted or whatever when he showed up in his murder crimes cloak to see his horse wife

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

roomtone posted:

i think it's just not the kind of comparison you want to directly draw attention to, let the fans sort it out because they will.

it isn't as if trump supporters invented women supporting patriarchy. you could compare her to any era of woman who clings to established power even when it is against her interests. trumper is the most low hanging fruit. flattens the character if you try to look at her through that lens.

fortunately she doesn't come across as that in the actual show so i doubt it was even a serious direction, just something miguel thought was pithy to put in a BTS video or where ever it came from.

okay i looked up the quote and it's way weirder

quote:

"She's like a woman for Trump," said actress Olivia Cooke of the direction that showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik gave her, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly.

"I just didn't want to give [the Trumps] any more mental real estate than they already had," the actress continued. "So I tried to find a different route into her, but I could see what they were saying with this complete indoctrination and denial of her own autonomy and rights. I just couldn't be asked to go down that road."

"Alicent has been completely bred to breed, and to breed powerful men. That's her only function in this life," added Cooke. "She can tell herself that she's going to sway and nurture and persuade in a very womanly, feminine way, but it's all f---ing bull----. Unless you're fighting the men, you'll never be heard. It's learning to live within this straightjacket of oppression. How do I move inch by inch every single day to loosen the straps?"

cooke leaked it, not the showrunners, so that makes sense if they didn't want to politicize things. but then she says she didn't play alicent like a trumpmom and was in fact smashing the patriarchy by attempting to take the throne away from a woman to give to a man by assassinating women and children

bizarre

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
well that's an actor's perspective on their character, they usually try to take the most sympathetic view of who they are playing, so it's fine if it doesn't make much sense. i doubt alicent is thinking in terms of how can i loosen the straps, but if it helps her get to a better performance then cool.

although it's funny that the origin of the quote is actually just the actor saying 'nah i'm not doing that'

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

i say swears online posted:

cooke leaked it, not the showrunners, so that makes sense if they didn't want to politicize things. but then she says she didn't play alicent like a trumpmom and was in fact smashing the patriarchy by attempting to take the throne away from a woman to give to a man by assassinating women and children

bizarre

alicent is bizarre so it checks out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol if she's method in the interview

"they were not going to tell me how to portray my character. I'll have your eye!!"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Now I'm just imagining Trump visiting Westoros on a diplomatic trip and people having to hear him speak. Lol

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so basically Robert except more hated

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Now I'm just imagining Trump visiting Westoros on a diplomatic trip and people having to hear him speak. Lol

Trump speaking High Valyrian

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

PostNouveau posted:

Trump speaking High Valyrian

king trump constantly going on tangents to mention increasingly irrelevant minor ladies who he had sex with / turned down sex with

"and then the strongest knight in the seven kingdoms, he came to me, with tears in his eyes, and said please King Trump"

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Look, having dragons — my uncle was a great maester and scientist and dragon rider, Ser John Trump at the Citadel; strong seed very strong seed...

Ubersandwich fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 4, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You couldn’t have timed the rants about the wall and the poors thieves and rapists any better.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Did they get the white walkers to pay for the wall?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's crazy, folks! i call him "mad king" aerys! everyone's always telling me i thought it up first. and what has he even done? he's useless folks, useless as nipples on a breastplate...[trailing off] nipples on a breastplate...

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
king trump would claim he beat ser arthur dayne at this one tourney no one else has ever being to

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Folks, the High Septim has been real nasty lately. So nasty. We all know he's jealous. I saw a bunch of green stuff in underground. I could blow up the Red Keep. You hear that? Blow it up. Boom. Lots of green fire. I shouldn't do it, should I? Maybe I should.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I never told anybody but he made me heir to the throne in private.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they don't want you to say the N-word anymore, folks! the N-word! that's right, they said "don't say it, alicent!" well i'll say it! Notlaenor'skids!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Trump starts business venture with each free city, claim he lost all money and runs to the next one. Finally runs out of free cities and goes to Western. Claim he is grandson of Blackfyre and tries to buy Driftmark to build a golf course.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Trump's one actual gift, which is lovely nicknames, would probably serve him pretty well in Westeros

Crooked Rhaenyra, Sleepy Viserys, Little Otto

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
trump is literally a targaryen already

- lovely blonde hair
- incest
- brings his kids with him into the limelight
- incredibly damaging to the kingdom but somehow the alternatives feel as bad
- heavily associated with an island even though they spend most of their time off it

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Who do we think got the Targ crazy, and to what degree? Here's my guesses:

King Viserys, Raenyra's kids, Daemon's kids - Normal

Daemon - Has the penchant for brutality Dany had but doesn't also have a god complex on top of it. Seems to be at least somewhat self aware that he's seen as a little strange by other people.

Raenyra - She's entitled but I don't think she has the crazy. Like someone else said earlier in this thread she probably should've been doing more to prepare herself and the kingdom for her succession so maybe kind of lazy too.

Aegon - I think he's going to be a whiny twerp kind of like Dany's brother was but not super dangerous on his own.

Aemond - Here's the one I think is going to go full on mad and he has the biggest dragon now. He will be a huge problem.

Helaena - A whole different type of crazy. Will die some sort of tragic death while being too simple/spaced out to really understand why.

I'm sure I got some of their names wrong. They're all so similar. They're all living a pretty cushy life now but when Viserys dies and everyone inevitably starts killing each other we'll see their true colors come out.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Everybody Loves Aemond

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
GoT turned "the gods flip a coin" into a literal thing because they were creatively bankrupt. all the targs are too wealthy and elite to be mentally stable

especially egg, who got his best friend, his son, himself, and however many more killed because he wanted a flying pew-pew

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Kazzah posted:

Everybody Loves Aemond

Aemond has fully won me over, seems like the only kid worthy of being a king so far. Brave, measured, understands duty and politics. The blood of Old Valyria is strong in him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Aemond has fully won me over, seems like the only kid worthy of being a king so far. Brave, measured, understands duty and politics. The blood of Old Valyria is strong in him.
And he knows when to keep women in line.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yes, you really have to hand it to Sister Fucker.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I feel like that's a lot of PR nonsense. Actors in any sort of political show have been claiming they based their performance off of Trump or Maga since 2015 no matter how tenuous. It's like how every Batman villains actor keeps saying "Oh man I got so deep into the character I really started scaring myself."

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I got the impression Aegon would have been fine with the incestuous betrothal if his sister had been more to his physical standards. He just thinks she's personally weird, not taking a stand against sister loving.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Aegon - I think he's going to be a whiny twerp kind of like Dany's brother was but not super dangerous on his own.

Aemond - Here's the one I think is going to go full on mad and he has the biggest dragon now. He will be a huge problem.

I think you got these backwards. Not that Aemond won't be a problem for someone but generally insane people don't last long in an environment like this nor are they willing to put aside the loss of an eye for a dragon. Long term planning and wise judgement is not something that genuinely crazy people are good at. Aemond seems like his feet are actually grounded in reality. Reality sucks but at least he's seeing it for what it is. Aegon, on the other hand, is an idiot who would put Caligula to shame if he got on the throne and has no sense whatsoever. This is the exact sort of person that would allow someone like Larys Strong to talk him into a bloody civil war because he's too stupid, ignorant, and entitled to realize the consequences of his behavior or his short-sighted whims or that challenging Rhaenyra will kill him and everyone around him killed now that she has shored up her claim to the throne.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Larys just creepily hanging around and butting in every once in awhile to go "Hey you need me to murder anyone?" He's like the anti-Varys.

Jace telling his mom they should be at the Strong funeral because he's sadder about the Strongs. Kid, Larys isn't even at the Strong funeral.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

bizarre
Because she struggles within the confines of a system of control so complete that it severely restricts what is actually possible, leaving exploiting the patriarchy to rise above other women as her only option - or at least the only one visible to her. It is not like "Smash the patriarchy alongside Rhaenyra" is a realistic option, nor would "Actual Royalty"-feminism be a great victory for women compared to what she's already doing.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the actors on this are irredeemably brokebrained. a couple weeks ago the young rhaenerya actress was whining about fans rankling a rivalry between her and the young alicent actress, not their characters but the actors themselves, presumably because she was confusing a studio note about people potentially playing favorites with young v. old rhaenerya and the basic alicent v. rhaenerya premise of the show

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

she's like 19

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vegetable posted:

"In a world where war is a few episodes closer every weeks, he wants to lay with his sister.... but have you seen the balls of this dragon rider? Every Sunday, Aemond is.... the KIN-LAYER."

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Your guesses are worth what they are worth, i don't know if the adapation will change more things but even when you are horribly wrong, you should enjoy the changes.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 5, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just caught up. loving great show. Not going over the last 300 messages. gently caress that.

The Gays Got Away! so…is this the start of a fun spin off with two gay knights loving around Essos and poo poo? That sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm only 3 episodes in but really enjoying this so far. I read ASoIaF but nothing else, and I watched the first five seasons of GoT before I bailed.

Maybe the spoiler free line should be removed from the title, I read through some of the thread's backlog and I think it's pointless to pretend there's a moratorium on spoilers. I don't mind them but others might, given the thread's title.