Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Reik posted:

I don't think I could handle a cannibal tribe showing up and eating all our children.

That sounds hilarious, though.

"Kitchen raid, they're coming for appetizers!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

isndl posted:

Not gonna lie, having mechanoid raids become something to cheer about because you can chop them up for parts like Tunnelers hungry for insect meat could be pretty good.

Might I suggest "What the hack?"

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Monsterprom tie in looking good

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Tynan Sylvester Game

Death Stranding

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Love to hear this after an hour or so of assembling my Caveman to Cosmos modlist.
But yeah honestly curious about what it will be.

In other news that Animal Genetics mod is super simple but adds a whole new level to ranching. Currently breeding a meat bearing breed of Edmontosaurus to see my colony through the harsh winters. I've gotten them from 336 meat per animal to 490, with a small increase in leather too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

oh yes mods, how long do they take to get up to speed with an expansion? I should sit on this until summer sale for best experience should I?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pixaal posted:

oh yes mods, how long do they take to get up to speed with an expansion? I should sit on this until summer sale for best experience should I?

Entirely depends on the complexity of the mod, what changes in the game/expansion effect the mod, and how motivated the developer is. Some could take hours to update, others weeks. And then continue to have odd bugs or poor balance for even longer.

I'd either just stop playing for a bit, or set steam to offline mode and keep playing the current colony for a time so nothing updates itself and goes sideways.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

pixaal posted:

A while, though there is some chatter I guess about making it be easier this time around to update the mods. If you have a dedicated mod list you love and can't live without it might be best to wait until someone updates it.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
I'm gonna throw out M-astery as the title.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arrath posted:

Entirely depends on the complexity of the mod, what changes in the game/expansion effect the mod, and how motivated the developer is. Some could take hours to update, others weeks. And then continue to have odd bugs or poor balance for even longer.

I'd either just stop playing for a bit, or set steam to offline mode and keep playing the current colony for a time so nothing updates itself and goes sideways.

My big mistake for Ideology launch was unsubbing all mods to experience full vanilla. It is a wild withdrawal that I did not prepare for.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I will turn off all the mods this time, too, just to get a feel for the new mechanics before adding back QoL mods. Those tend to update quickly, and I play slow so the bigger extended content mods have time to update.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I'm having a weird problem that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have colonists who had missing noses (and thus we're disliked due to being disfigured). I finally managed to put aesthetic noses on them, but they still have the social penalty with other colonists and it is continuously causing fights. Any idea why they're still considered disfigured?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Your colonists are all rude as hell.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Xenix posted:

I'm having a weird problem that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have colonists who had missing noses (and thus we're disliked due to being disfigured). I finally managed to put aesthetic noses on them, but they still have the social penalty with other colonists and it is continuously causing fights. Any idea why they're still considered disfigured?

post screenshots of their health tabs?

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 5, 2022

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

isndl posted:

Not gonna lie, having mechanoid raids become something to cheer about because you can chop them up for parts like Tunnelers hungry for insect meat could be pretty good.
I do not cheer about mechanoid raids

A lot going on here, but everyone in this screengrab is dead now except Sparkles. We got a Man in Black who managed to carry her out and they are currently two tiles south of here on the world map. I guess it is my fault, this is a no-killbox, no-turret, minimal mods run, but god drat randy hosed me with the simultaneous mech drop pods and bug infestation

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like to create walls separating my farm plots, they're handy for blocking the spread of blight and raging infernos. Plus that's a lot easier to defend when you get drop-podded by mechanoids or whatever

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Mechanoid raids are 90% the reason why I prefer to build my bases as far inside the mountains as I can get.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

QuarkJets posted:

I like to create walls separating my farm plots, they're handy for blocking the spread of blight and raging infernos. Plus that's a lot easier to defend when you get drop-podded by mechanoids or whatever

It's a good idea. that base layout just sucked. I had a great base one time where everything was these twisty, two-tile-wide cobblestone streets with lots of blind corners and back doors. It forced every engagement to be at shotgun range, super easy to defend and I didn't lose that colony until we started up the spaceship. I think I'll do that style for the next one.

There's only so much you can do about that many centipedes though. I think we have 3 or 4 dead ones in the fire there, and we got all the lancers/scythers, but it was just too many to engage in the open like that. I think I could have pulled that one out if I didn't forget that EMP will also disable your melee guy's shields, that was a big tactical mistake

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I'm in the middle of the archotech run tynaaaaaan

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

AG3 posted:

Mechanoid raids are 90% the reason why I prefer to build my bases as far inside the mountains as I can get.

If you do, be sure you're able to drop the entire base to very freezing temperatures in a minute so you can very quickly stop this. Or just keep the entire base in freezing temperatures anyways so this can't happen. Or set up a bait area that can safely spawn them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm a coward and just disable insectoids when I build a mountain base.

Edit: I especially hate it when something destroys my carefully smoothed stone walls, any replacement will always look out of place for having a different color! :argh:

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 5, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

Edit: I especially hate it when something destroys my carefully smoothed stone walls, any replacement will always look out of place for having a different color! :argh:

I rebuild the walls out of normal stone blocks and then dev mode replace them back to smoothed stone. Zero guilt about doing it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

Same. I keep the ones that can spawn when you use drills, but the regular insectoid spawns I just disable outright. Mostly just because it's such a god-awful loving mess to clean up afterwards even if my base is at the point where I can easily repel them.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
See I quite like designing a base around the idea that insects could spawn literally anywhere in it. Never too much wealth in any single room, every room is a module designed to be set on fire and sealed at any given time, etc. It's an interesting challenge.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC walls do nothing to stop blight spread, fyi, it's just distance

Edit: With some googling apparently if you surround it entirely and make it into a roofless room then blight won't spread out of the room

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 5, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RIP the R.I.M.W.O.R.L.D. DLC dream

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1826140/RimWorld__Biotech

quote:

Children and reproduction
With Biotech, colonists (and outsiders) can become pregnant and give birth. Pregnancy can begin naturally, or via technological means, and can be controlled by a variety of methods.

Babies bring joy, but also challenges. Colonists’ hearts will melt when the baby coos and giggles in their arms. But it takes effort to keep a baby happy and healthy and loved - create a safe haven for them in a cozy pastel nursery where there is always warm milk, a comfortable crib, overflowing toy chests and kind caregivers.

They grow up fast (especially if you use a growth vat) - soon your child will be walking, talking, and getting into trouble. They’ll soak up knowledge in the classroom and tag along with adults to watch them work. Kids find many ways to entertain themselves with art, exploring nature, playing with technology, and more. Teach them lessons and they’ll learn how to survive, cook, make friends, create art, build, craft, hunt, and fight. Watch as they grow up and make mistakes, lose loved ones, and survive hardships.

A rich childhood makes a capable adult. Every few years, you choose which traits and passions a child will develop. The better-raised a child is, with smarter education and more attention, the more choices you’ll have, and the better their chances are to become a happy and talented adult. Some colonies will sacrifice everything to give a child the best upbringing, while others will use growth vats to pump out cheap workers and soldiers. The choice is up to you.

The mechanitor
Build and control mechanoids by making your colonist into a mechanitor - a person with a special brain implant that lets them psychically command semi-living machines.

Create mechanoids by growing them inside high-tech gestator tanks. Command the original centipede, lancer, and scyther, plus a wide variety of new combat and labor mechanoids. Grow your swarm from a few small workers and fighters to a fearsome squadron of massive ultratech war machines and industrial behemoths.

Mechanoid laborers can manufacture goods, rescue and tend to your colonists, build and repair structures, sow and harvest crops, haul stuff, and more. They never get sick. They don’t freeze in the snow or get poisoned in toxic fallout. They don’t suffer mental breaks from long hours in dark mineshafts or filthy garbage yards.

Combat mechanoids are very diverse in form and function. Some are cheap swarmers that overwhelm the enemy with numbers. Others project shields over their allies, or roast enemies with beam weapons, or charge up for massive concrete-melting hellsphere attacks. Mechanoids wield melee claws and blades, sniper weapons, even flamethrowers. Depending on which mechanoids you command, your tactical options will vary dramatically.

Mechanoid infrastructure has a special price: Pollution. Left unfrozen, toxic wastepacks deteriorate and leak pollutants into the environment. Pollution makes living things sick. It poisons your colonists and pets. It blocks the sunlight with smog and irritates your colonists’ lungs. It triggers hibernating insects to emerge on the planet’s surface. Some areas of the planet are so polluted that only twisted, toxin-adapted variants of plants and animals can survive there. Pollution is a challenge that you can handle in a variety of ways - freezing, export (neighbors might not like this), adaptation, high-tech atomization.

Advance your mechanitor’s capabilities by acquiring ancient mechanoid technology. This means calling dangerous new super-mechanoids to attack, in order to defeat them and steal technology from their smoking corpses. There are three types of exotic hyper-deadly commander mechs to fight, each with its own exotic weapons and combat style. Be sure you’re ready before you call these machine beasts to attack. Learn enough, and some day, you may command them as your own.

Gene modding
You can genetically-modify people to create xenohumans - humans with exotic traits. Genetic modifications range from subtle personality traits and eye color to hulking furry bodies, glands for fire-breathing, rapid regeneration, and even immortality.

The world contains a new set of xenohuman types and factions, including unstoppable super soldiers, fur-covered animal-controlling arctic settlers, toxin-immune human bioweapons, fire-breathing horned desert imp-people, psychic-bonding concubines, and more. The darkest of them drink blood, live in shadows, and live forever.

You can make your own xenotypes from scratch, and build infrastructure in your colony to enhance your people. Curate a collection of exotic genes by purchasing them from traders, accepting them as quest rewards, or extracting them from your menagerie of xenohuman prisoners. You can harvest the genes from anyone and implant those genes into your colonists and prisoners. You can also recombine genes to make bizarre and advantageous mixes of traits for implantation. Experiment with gene extraction and recombination to build your colony of xenohumans!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
R.I.B.W.O.R.L.F

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I now know how Obi Wan felt when he saw Anakin limbless, burning on lava, leaving it for dead.

IT WAS THE CHOSEN ACRONYM

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, for actual content, one of the many child and family mods + What the Hack? + pawn-focused Genetic Rimworld + a completely new pollution thing?

I kinda dig that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, for actual content, one of the many child and family mods + What the Hack? + pawn-focused Genetic Rimworld + a completely new pollution thing?

I kinda dig that.

Yeah I have to say I like this feature list.

I can't wait to export pollution with drop pods. :buddy:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you look at the screenshots, you might notice that shelves now hold multiple stacks. :aaaaa:

e: Full 1.4 changelog

isndl fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 5, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Also, "release date: October"

Hell yeah I love these short notice announcements.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRVirkmrIX9ladhT8FTEKtOA_JZ1dP8IK5ZaHL8zfd2pOOVm5xyPcO6JUKoNZeNt7RWg33vBx0uNqLP/pub

The 1.4 changelog has some really good stuff in it. Highlights:

Added custom color lights. Players can change their lamp colors to any color after completing “colored lights” research.
Added painting system: Paint walls, floors, and some furniture and buildings with dye harvested from the tinctoria crop.

Added new gas system and health conditions.

Shelves hold up to 3 stacks of most items. Exceptions include large corpses, chunks, and minified things.

Added a single-tile small shelf.

Shelves can be linked into groups for easier management.

Carried things can now be added to caravans.

Allow players to select Things pawns are holding by either slow clicking, using the widget when the carrying pawn is selected, or using the "next thing in cell" button.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

isndl posted:

If you look at the screenshots, you might notice that shelves now hold multiple stacks. :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo I didn't even check the screenshots yet.

Yep, shelves holding multiple items, actually visually interesting weapons and of course cat girls, dog girls and/or fox girls. And possibly techno-vampires. This DLC seems to have it all. :eyepop:

EDIT: Whoa a system to simulate gas? Modders will have a field day with that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes.

YES.

There is nothing here I do not like.

The only 'issue' is how all the assorted alien races currently existing are going to adapt to the gene modding, but I'm excited about that too. Could I create moonjellies that do not die to a stiff breeze? The possibilities are endless.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

isndl posted:

Biotech expansion announced! Update 1.4 on unstable branch posted:

Actually useful shelves that store lots of stuff: Fill your storerooms with shelves, which can now hold up to 3 stacks of most items. (Our testers were very excited with this one!) There is also a 1-tile mini-shelf. Shelves should help to keep your colony tidy and organized, and protect your items.

Interesting, might be enough to get me away from using stack size increasing mods.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also Tynan's blurb gives some other interesting tidbits:

quote:

It added more variation to the human world, in the form of different types of factions. Instead of just different human factions with different diplomatic orientations, now those different factions are dominated by different types of xenohumans. This alters how they fight, which makes combats more distinct from each other. Fighting a raid of furred yttakin warriors is quite different from a raid of baseliner humans, or neanderthals, or fire-breathing impids, or pigskins. There’s a lot of fun colorful differences between them too - a raid of squealing pig people feels quite different from a raid of bear-calling furred yttakin.

Factions having distinct xeno-human varieties that make up the majority of the faction is pretty awesome.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I wonder if the faction system is changing in some way. The current game gives you a warning if you try to have too many factions and there’s already barely enough space for one each of the factions, let alone mod-added ones or the ones from this new DLC.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well this lets me clean up my mod list quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

I kinda dig that.

most child mods and what the hack are notoriously buggy so I'm glad for an official alternative
very hyped but it'll definitely break about every mod